PDA

View Full Version : Calling Laundry Pros

linanglab
09-15-2007, 09:11 AM
My whites are a lovely shade of faint yellow....How do you get your whites REALLY white? I use bleach. Is there something else that I should use? I do not use hot water though. I always use cold water to help with the lowering of our utilites. Any help would be great. I hate my whites looking so dingy.

Angela

bartleby1
09-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Well, I'm no laundry expert and my whites look yellow too, but I do remember reading somewhere that bleach actually causes the yellowed look on certain materials. :confused: I won't give up my bleach since I'm a bit of a germaphobe though!

m 'n c
09-15-2007, 09:40 AM
I just use All and wash them on cold and they are still white. Mike refuses to let me put anything other than white items with the whites (I am use to putting in khakis) as they cause whites to look dingy. I never use bleach.

spring
09-15-2007, 09:47 AM
I rarely use bleach and my whites look fine. If I have a stain on a white piece of clothing, I use a spot cleaner or a clorox bleach pen on just the stain itself. I think using bleach all the time is not good for the fabrics.

linanglab
09-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Interesting. I though bleach was suppose to get whites whiter. Maybe I will only use bleach when I need to degermify some things and see how it goes.

Angela

bartleby1
09-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Oh, forgot to mention that yellowing of your whites could also be caused by your water if you have a high iron or mineral content (really hard water). I know that my town has high iron and high manganese which can both cause brownish/yellowish staining of clothes, toilets, etc.

sammielynn
09-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Try one of those Oxygen cleaners in with your whites. I think Tide has a detergent just for whites that works well.

linanglab
09-15-2007, 11:26 AM
We do have VERY high iron. In fact, if I do not use The Works on my bathtub, within 3 months, my tub is orange. I will look into the Tide for whites detergent. Thanks so much guys.

Angela

arob414
09-15-2007, 07:56 PM
I use Oxiclean on my whites.

GICHY
09-29-2007, 08:33 PM
OK this is supposed to work I have done it but ...it doesn't have the desired effect I look for.

washing soda
peroxide
baking soda

Good luck if you give them a try let me know how you made out. SOme friends have had great success. Me not so very.

linanglab
09-29-2007, 09:01 PM
what is washing soda????

howdyfrtx
09-30-2007, 09:12 AM
I donít know if you used any shout on your whites but when Iíve used shout on my white duvet cover it turned it yellow. Even if I wash it in bleach.

GICHY
09-30-2007, 05:43 PM
what is washing soda????

Arm and Hammer makes it and there is another brand some stores keep it with the water softeners and additives it comes in a box a powder used when tie dying shirts too.
Very strong too.

Heres a link about the product hope it helps!

http://www.thelaundrybasket.com/Usage_Tips/Usage_Tips_Super_Washing_Soda/usage_tips_super_washing_soda.html

linanglab
09-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys for the helps. Hopefully some of these suggestions will help. I will let you know over the next couple of months if the products work. I will be experimenting for awhile!

wedgeL
10-01-2007, 03:08 PM
On my whites and ONLY whites I have found a product I really like, Clorox Ultimate Care, its a Premium Bleach, and my whites are whiter then white.
Washing Soda is also wonderful, I would define it as a whitening booster, and I have used it for years. I have awful well water, but have a good softner so that does help, I have started using All with the stain lifter, and I preteat with a wonderful product my nurse friend turned me on to years ago, its called Zout, I prefer the squeeze bottle to the spray, seems to work better for me.... I will add that this Clorox is pricy but to me if it works that is all that matters, my white socks are white, everything I have is a bright clean white so price doesn't matter to me...:sunshine2: