PDA

View Full Version : Disney Dollars vs Gift Cards

OregonGirlie
05-20-2007, 12:18 PM
What's the difference?

We're heading to Disneyland, is one prefered over the other there? We're staying onsite, and all meals will be in the parks or downtown Disney if that helps.

Thanks. :)

jnorth1007
05-20-2007, 12:30 PM
I just find it easier to deal with GC as opposed to having to carry around the dollars. That being said we are saving up DD for the kids because they are earning them and I think it will be easier for them to visualize how much they have and how much they have spent when the time comes. I think there is also a fee for recieving Disney Dollars because of the extra cost of mailing bulk orders of them. I think it may be .25. You may want to check the rewards section of the site I know it lists it. Besides that I think they both spend the same way.

Alice28
05-20-2007, 03:39 PM
There is one reason I like the Dollars more than the gift cards: you get change back in real dollars! While the Disney Dollars are accepted everywhere in Disney, I found it nice to also have some 'real' money in my wallet too.

I did have one point on our last trip where I had about 5 Disney Gift cards in my wallet- I had written in sharpie how much each had on it, but then I lost track of which ones I had used some of the balance on. Not a huge deal, but more than once I was a bit confused. :rotfl:

3dog2kidmom
05-20-2007, 04:02 PM
I did have one point on our last trip where I had about 5 Disney Gift cards in my wallet- I had written in sharpie how much each had on it, but then I lost track of which ones I had used some of the balance on. Not a huge deal, but more than once I was a bit confused. :rotfl:

I'm thinking about taking a tiny pad of postits (the 1x2 size I think they are) and keeping them in my purse/backpack with a pen so I can note what's left on a particular card. In January, I just went to guest services at the resort every day and applied gift cards to the tune of whatever had been spent that day, but this time I want to ensure that NO charges hit my visa so I'll be shopping with gift cards instead of doing it that way.

chocovrdmicears
05-20-2007, 05:48 PM
i cash out for gift cards currently because you can use them towards paying off your room/package. Once that is paid I will probably get Disney Dollards for spending. :sunshine2:

maggiec
05-26-2007, 03:44 PM
OK, that is what I needed to know. You CAN use the gift cards to pay on your package already booked through Disney?

jnorth1007
05-26-2007, 04:50 PM
You absolutely can use the GC's to pay on your packages. I think I have seen once or twice where they will only let you use so many cards at once, including gift cards and credit cards so you may want to spread out the payments if you have a lot of smaller cards to use. I would ask them this ahead of time just to be sure. HTH!

OregonGirlie
05-27-2007, 01:40 AM
Cool, thank you! I think I"ll mostly get gift cards, but want some Disney Dollars for the kids & snack carts I think. The tiny post it to update card balance is a great idea! Thanks - I'll be doing that!

Another question. We've booked the Disneyland Hotel package through AAA. Our hotel & tickets will be paid for before we go, but once you get there they always give you a little paper with your signature that lets you charge things in Disneyland, CA, World of Disney, and the hotels to your room - and pay upon checkout. I know you put down a CC at the beginning to 'hold' for this room charge feature - but when you check out and have to settle this tab, can you pay for this with gift cards, or do they just automatically charge it to the CC you put on file? Does that make sense?

Rissa

cglaura
05-27-2007, 03:12 AM
Cool, thank you! I think I"ll mostly get gift cards, but want some Disney Dollars for the kids & snack carts I think. The tiny post it to update card balance is a great idea! Thanks - I'll be doing that!

Another question. We've booked the Disneyland Hotel package through AAA. Our hotel & tickets will be paid for before we go, but once you get there they always give you a little paper with your signature that lets you charge things in Disneyland, CA, World of Disney, and the hotels to your room - and pay upon checkout. I know you put down a CC at the beginning to 'hold' for this room charge feature - but when you check out and have to settle this tab, can you pay for this with gift cards, or do they just automatically charge it to the CC you put on file? Does that make sense?

Rissa

I don't know if they still let you, but the last time I was there in 2004 I kind of "ball parked" what I'd put on the room card, and then I gave them cash (traveler's check) at check in. I didn't spend it all, so they gave me money back when I checked out. Then I just carried around a little cash for the carts & snacks, etc. I don't like leaving my cc for fear of accidental charges or snafoos. I'm not sure if you could give them the gift cards at check in, but I would think the disney dollars would work for sure. Have a great trip!

jnorth1007
05-27-2007, 09:13 AM
I have heard of people doing this at WDW. They give them the cards at check in and this is applied to their room like cash would be and then they use their Key to the World as a "charge" card when making purchases. I am not sure if it works the same at WDW. I would call the resort you are staying at and verify that they can do it. I would also make sure to ask what the policy is if you apply more than you end up using and how they return your money. Not that any of us end up with money left when we leave Disney :rotfl: HTH!

Preciouscn
07-16-2007, 02:37 PM
I got Disney Dollars. I think that will get the girls (and me) excited. I have been giving them "Disney Points" when they are good (the little one owes me money by now :) ) and telling them they will get money to spend in exchange for the points. I know they are a bit young to understand but it is good to start early. I know they will go crazy when they see the disney $$