PDA

View Full Version : Spoodles

sunshinecindy
09-30-2007, 01:16 PM
This is my first post since returning from Disney, and I want to post while its all still pretty fresh in my mind.

We arrived at 5:28 on friday for our 5:30 reservations, 4 of us. We were seated at 5:50, though I have no idea why. There were at least 11 empty tables in the place, and I guess after looking into the dining room and announcing rather loudly that I couldn't understand why we were standing there we were finally seated. Half the room was practically empty, but we were seated in the far seating area where everyone else was in stead of spreading it out a bit. The waitress was very friendly and came to our table immediately and took our drink order. Now, I'm guessing most of you know what that was...ah, Sangria. Instead of ordering just a glass, we ordered a pitcher, well, ok, two before the dinner was over, but one pitcher gave us each two glasses, not huge, and a lot of ice, but worth the $18.00 a pitcher. It was fabulous. Definately the high point of the meal.

The menu I think is rather limited, especially for a non meat eater, but I opted on their Signature Rigatoni, hold the mushrooms. Sunshinejeff had the shrimp in garlic butter over linguine. Nothing comes with a side, its all separate, so 3 of us ordered side salads.
First came the bread, nice and hearty, a touch of cheese, very good, with a crushed olive mixture in olive oil for dipping, excellent. Next was the side salad. A small mix of greens, nothing else, with the most horrible lemon vinagrette dressing I have ever put in my mouth. It literally gagged me. At 5.95 for this horrible side salad, it definately is not worth it. BTW, its the same horrible dressing they put on their greek salads. Beware. I'm a lemon lover, and I could not even put another bite of it in my mouth. Next was the entree. All very nice in size. The shimp in garlic butter was decent, it could have used a little more garlic and spice. The shrimp were plentiful, almost too many. The linguine was done just right. The rigatoni signature dish was just ok. Since another person at the table got the one with mushrooms, we were able to see and taste the difference, and believe me, they are quite different, even the color. It has big chunks of sausage in it, and they served you more than what you could eat. My biggest complaint with it was not enough sauce, it was on the dry side, we all agreed, and the rigatoni was a little tough, but it wasn't too bad. We opted to skip dessert since the candy store is just a couple doors away.

The pizza seemed to be a big hit, as there were a lot of people inside and out eating it (theres a carryout pizza window on the outside of the restaurant). A large is $18.00 a little pricey for a pizza, but disney prices. I wish I would have just had the appetizers as they looked good, but I had a humus platter for lunch, so didn't order if for dinner, though a lot of tables had.

Our dinner with tip for 2 (she took the salad off) was $70.00.

The restaurant is loud with the hard wood floors and has a pizza place smell. If I had to rate it, I'd give it 2 stars.

All in all, I won't rush back there.

bs4free
09-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Welcome back Cindy! Glad you enjoyed your Sangria, and thank you for the spoodles review! I can see it is not a top resturant, but the shrip in garlic butter sounded good, and the wait for a table that was just crazy!

I am glad they took that nasty tasting salad off your bill!

I hope the rest of your trip was great and that we get to hear more about it soon!

ligrumpygirl
09-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Welcome home!!

We have put Spoodles on our no return list...nothing excited us at all. But I am happy the Sangria was good!!!!!!!!

PSL1013
09-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Well darn..we thought we would try it our first night because we are staying at the BCV and we wouldn't have to drive and it is a place we have yet to try....your reviews don't sound too promising. I just tried at this late date to switch it to LeCellier but that is a no go, so I guess we will just have to go see for ourselves if we like it or not.....but I'm going to keep trying until we leave to change it. Thanks for the review! :)

coastalgirl
10-01-2007, 02:48 AM
Cindy, I am sorry that you did not like it. We go there all the time. but I am more of an appetizer and Sangria gal. I just love their Calamari. I feel bad since I am the one that said it was so good :( . I'm sorry.

sunshinecindy
10-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Cindy, I am sorry that you did not like it. We go there all the time. but I am more of an appetizer and Sangria gal. I just love their Calamari. I feel bad since I am the one that said it was so good :( . I'm sorry.

Oh no problem, we wanted to check it out. I wish I would have stayed with the appetizers and it looked like thats what a lot of people did have, and pizza. The Sangria was great, but you can buy that at the take out window too, so next time, I'm sure we will.

PSL1013
10-01-2007, 09:37 AM

Well since I wasn't able to change our reservations, we are going to stick with Spoodles and have decided to get the pitcher of Sangria and a couple of appetizers (calamari & margarita pizza) to share and probably share a plate of the pasta, which my hubby will love anyway. I'm sure we will like it! I usually don't pay too much attention to negative reviews because everybody has different tastes and it could turn out to be a place that you think is great and how would you know if you never tried it? :)

sunshinecindy
10-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Well since I wasn't able to change our reservations, we are going to stick with Spoodles and have decided to get the pitcher of Sangria and a couple of appetizers (calamari & margarita pizza) to share and probably share a plate of the pasta, which my hubby will love anyway. I'm sure we will like it! I usually don't pay too much attention to negative reviews because everybody has different tastes and it could turn out to be a place that you think is great and how would you know if you never tried it? :)

i think if you go with the Garlic Butter Shrimp Linguine you will be happy. Everyone agreed it was the best thing we had there. Tons and tons of shrimp.

fanofree
10-13-2007, 11:07 AM
They have an appy we order everytime - Mediterranean Dips - with toasted pita, marinated olives and almonds $8.99 Very good and filling.

I hear this used to be more of a Tappas place, maybe they should return to that format!

sunshinecindy
10-13-2007, 11:12 AM
They have an appy we order everytime - Mediterranean Dips - with toasted pita, marinated olives and almonds $8.99 Very good and filling.

I hear this used to be more of a Tappas place, maybe they should return to that format!

Everyone had that on their table. I had that for lunch so didn't order it, though now I wish i would have.