PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training Help

missangie
10-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Okay, I need some help. I have a daycare in my home and have now for 5 years. I've become quite the pro is most situations. But, just when you think you know it all and can handle any situation, you get something new and different thrown at you. I have potty trained a number of children and know what works and what doesn't. I usually end up training parents too!!

Right now I have a little one that really needs to be out of diapers but flat our refuses to go anywhere near the bathroom. His parents aren't any help at all. He's really feeling bad that another little boy his age is going to the potty and will likely be in underpants full time within two weeks. However, he still refuses to use the potty or even try.

I've tried everything: big potty, little potty, potty seat adaptor, music, candy, stickers, guilt, etc. etc. He is one tough cookie! Any ideas?

ItsmeSunnyV
10-01-2007, 01:46 PM
If you find any..let me know. LOL :p I have a very stubborn (SPOILED) little girl.

rygirlsmum
10-01-2007, 01:50 PM
I would think it woulld be tough when the child's not your own. Both my youngest 2 fought me when we worked on potty training, but hwen I backed off, they took to it no problem.

Question - you've tried a little potty, but you said the child wouldn't go near the bathroom. Is there any way you could bring the little potty out of the bathroom so that the child can get used to one before the other? It didn't work with mine, but I've heard success stories from other parents.

Good luck!

SunshineGirl
10-01-2007, 02:29 PM
I'd offer to help, but YOU potty trained MY kid! Clearly, it is not my area of expertise. In fact, I would venture to say that you potty trained BOTH of my kids. :rotfl:

ItsmeSunnyV
10-01-2007, 04:21 PM
I'd offer to help, but YOU potty trained MY kid! Clearly, it is not my area of expertise. In fact, I would venture to say that you potty trained BOTH of my kids. :rotfl:

Okay So where do I ship her?? If Tricia trust you with her girls, I have one for you!!:rotfl: Just a warning, she's FEISTY!! Think Tinkerbell but MEANER. Same Size though. :rotfl:

Lisaj68
10-01-2007, 09:40 PM
This worked for my BF's son, but he was a little older (almost 3) and really couldn't be bother to try the potty.

She asked Joey to show his stuffed animal how to use the potty. Not for the child to use the potty, but to put the stuffed animal on it. And wouldn't you know it, the stuffed animal went! Okay, not really, but my BF made a HUGE deal out of the stuff animal (SA) going potty on it, with lots of praise, love and admiration for the SA. No comments to the child, all praise and positive attention goes to the SA or doll. Through out the day, for a number of days. Out of the blue, Oh Joey, your SA went potty on the toilet!!! What an awesome SA you have!

Joey's thoughts must have been, big deal, I could do that too if I wanted to, cause every now and then, he would go on it, just to get some of that positive attention!

Now, part 2 of this is everytime Joey went on the potty he would get to call Thomas the Tank Engine (me speaking in a lower toned voice) and tell him the good news! I would tell him in my Thomas voice how I was of him, and would he please call me again the next time he goes, etc.

I do swear that this child was out of diapers in about 1 week. And I probably only imitated Thomas 5 or 6 times in all!

Good luck with whatever you do! I know it is very frustrating changing the diapers of a child who should be using the toilet! Yuck!

missangie
10-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Yippee, I finally had a breakthrough with this tough guy on Thursday and Friday. I decided that I needed to be trougher than him for his sake and help him make the change. After 30+ minutes of crying and frustration, he pottied on the big potty for the first time!! He was so proud of himself.

For all of the moms out there at their wits end, be tough, be strong. Your kids are watching, and they need you to take the lead. Thanks for your suggestions and support.

ItsmeSunnyV
10-07-2007, 04:03 PM
:p I'm gonna make it my goal, this week starting on MONDAY!! WISH me luck Girl!! :p

missangie
10-09-2007, 10:10 PM
:p I'm gonna make it my goal, this week starting on MONDAY!! WISH me luck Girl!! :p

So, how's it going? Have you had any success? I'm rooting for ya!

ItsmeSunnyV
10-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Okay we did good all day yesterday!! YAY!! No accidents...But today...:( She had one MAJOR accident. :sick: So...Tomorrow...Is a new day, we'll see how it goes.. Thanks for rooting for me..I need that. LOL

Tasha228
10-10-2007, 01:15 AM
Good luck is all I can say! I also have a feisty one and potty training has been quite the interesting experience here. ;)

faithhope
10-10-2007, 05:34 AM
My little girl is a perfectionist... she was afraid of failure on the potty... once we started praising her for trying, and telling her everyone could TRY to use the potty... we made progress...

now this is how we approach many new things. We praise her for the effort not the success.

Faith
wish I could have figured this out sooner

rhiannonwales
10-10-2007, 11:28 AM
I think i need to ship my DD off too! Shes almost 4 !!!! And stubbornness is what it all boils down to.Ive tried it all and i'm having no luck.. i even tried the let your kid run around naked thing, and all i got was lots of puddles on the floor that week.Thank god i dont have carpet!

ItsmeSunnyV
12-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Okay I have to admit, I hadn't stuck with this and this past week, I said HECK WITH IT...I was very determined to get my DD potty trained. Well in the past, I have gotten her to use the little potty for numb.1 easily, but NEVER numb.2...And today...we have been doing great so far! Well right now, I got the usual call of "MoOooOoOooOM I'M DonNnNnNe!!!!" So I go to clean her...and WOOOOOOO HOOOOO I Found a Great surprise!! :cooldance: LOL We were so excited! This one even deserved a call to daddy at work to let him know. LOL She thought she was the coolest ever!! :cooldance: Okay...Im done now...I just had to share this someone. I figured all of you Mamas would understand.:D

missangie
12-11-2007, 09:20 PM
That is so awesome! I have finally completed the process with the little boy that I babysit during the day. He was so hard to get goin' but he's an old pro now! I guess some just take longer to get it. There's one thing I know for sure that it is that they are waiting for you to give up. So, if you don't give up, it will happen--it might drive you to drink--but it will happen. Congratulations! From one mom to another.

coastalgirl
12-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Okay I have to admit, I hadn't stuck with this and this past week, I said HECK WITH IT...I was very determined to get my DD potty trained. Well in the past, I have gotten her to use the little potty for numb.1 easily, but NEVER numb.2...And today...we have been doing great so far! Well right now, I got the usual call of "MoOooOoOooOM I'M DonNnNnNe!!!!" So I go to clean her...and WOOOOOOO HOOOOO I Found a Great surprise!! :cooldance: LOL We were so excited! This one even deserved a call to daddy at work to let him know. LOL She thought she was the coolest ever!! :cooldance: Okay...Im done now...I just had to share this someone. I figured all of you Mamas would understand.:D

YAY for her!! I hope it keeps going. :cooldance: We had a hard time with Katie, but I kept her in big girl panties and she only gets a pull up at night and we don't have any accidents, but if she wears a pull up, well, she gets lazy!

ItsmeSunnyV
12-12-2007, 01:22 AM
but if she wears a pull up, well, she gets lazy!

I noticed this too with Alyssa!! :confused: Thanks for listening guys!! I knew you would understand!!:cooldance:

V