PDA

View Full Version : Spyware Report

SunshineGirl
05-22-2007, 08:56 AM
I know some of you have your own websites or are "techies" at heart. If you are at all interested, a new report was published yesterday about how spyware continues to overwrite cookies and cheat people out of their commissions. The result for YOU is that you do not get credit for purchases and offers. It is a long report, but you get the main ideas in the first few paragraphs. This study was done on people clicking Netflix and Blockbuster links and shows how the cookies were changed and the clicks redirected.

Sad stuff because it means hard working non-incentive site webmasters lose the money and rewards program members get shafted.

http://www.benedelman.org/news/052107-1.html

vtgirlie
05-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Tricia-

Is it possible that this is why some of us aren't receiving credits for paid offers? I have a few in my pending offers box that haven't been paid, and one waiting for you to take a look at in trouble tickets.

My husband is a spyware kook, so I'm not sure I can get him to take it off.

Grrrr. :)

Bets

SunshineGirl
05-25-2007, 04:42 PM
It depends what you are running. There are actually things that a lot of people install because they don't think that they are spyware or cookie setters. Perfect examples would be the ebates and ******** toolbar/reminders. If you have either of those installed, you probably will not get credit for shopping with us.

Big, big culprits are Screensavers.com and smileycentral. Those would keep you from getting credit.

Depending on whether you are running a program that is cleaning your computer TOO often, you could be having your cookies erased between the time you click on the link and the time you complete the offer. You'd have to have a really aggressive cleaner on for that to happen.

vtgirlie
05-25-2007, 04:46 PM
I have enough credits posting that I think my program isn't that agressive. :) THanks for checking in though!

SunshineGirl
05-25-2007, 04:50 PM
I have enough credits posting that I think my program isn't that agressive. :) THanks for checking in though!

Then get yourself to 25 posts so you can put your credit banner in your signature for all to see. :)

If the ones that you did not get credit on are freebie types, wait a couple of weeks and try them again.

vtgirlie
05-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks Tricia! I'm still learning my way around a bit. It's nice to have you on here for info!!! :)

I did open a couple of trouble tickets yesterday- are those backlogged?

25 posts, hmmm???

:)

Bets

ta2mama
08-28-2007, 11:35 PM
SMILEY CENTRAL IS THE DEVIL! Do not let your 12 year old kid download this into your CPU, lol.

ARRG!

sunshinecindy
08-29-2007, 10:36 AM
SMILEY CENTRAL IS THE DEVIL! Do not let your 12 year old kid download this into your CPU, lol.

ARRG!

I didn't even go there but got hooked up with it somehow and it crashed my computer. I had to take it in for repair. Thats exactly what they came up with, smiley central.