PDA

View Full Version : Dining Disappointment - Don't You Hate It?

LuvMyBoys
10-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Don't you hate it when you have a great meal somewhere and rave about it, so someone goes to that restaurant based on your recommendation.....and then they have a bad experience :(

I feel so bad, I really talked up Whispering Canyon to my sister and her family and when they went last night that had a pretty crummy time.

The food was good but the service was TERRIBLE, and at a restaurant like that one it makes a huge difference if the service is good (especially for the kids).

I'm really sad that they didn't get to enjoy it like we did.....and I feel kind of guilty that they wasted a TS on WCC and had that experience.:(

Anyone else ever feel like that?

spring
10-23-2007, 01:22 PM
I agree. I think many of have had that experience. I feel responsible because I recommended it in the first place. However, I think a place should not be completely judged by 1 bad experience. Things happen, and people change.

m4travels
10-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Don't you hate it when you have a great meal somewhere and rave about it, so someone goes to that restaurant based on your recommendation.....and then they have a bad experience :(

I feel so bad, I really talked up Whispering Canyon to my sister and her family and when they went last night that had a pretty crummy time.

The food was good but the service was TERRIBLE, and at a restaurant like that one it makes a huge difference if the service is good (especially for the kids).

I'm really sad that they didn't get to enjoy it like we did.....and I feel kind of guilty that they wasted a TS on WCC and had that experience.:(

Anyone else ever feel like that?

Yeah, I get nervous about that, too. We usually have wonderful service and great times when we go out and we used to let everyone know about it. I think what happens is we get so caught up in our own hype of the experience that maybe it seems stupendous in another's eyes. Some of our friends who have taken our advice actually have said they can see absolutely nothing redeeming about the restaurant that we suggested. We then have gone back to said restaurant and have another phenomenal time. What makes it different??

We've been very fortunate to get into a restaurant at D'land that most people don't even know about, Club 33. I worked with a woman whose son was one of the first members of the club and for quite a while we were going in every month. We went in with wide eyes the first time, had a great experience; good meal, great service, great wine, and, once again, GREAT service (yup, repeated for emphasis). The next time we went in we had our same server and it was an exact repeat of the first time. We sort of became his regular table.

The one time we went and he wasn't there we were placed with another senior cast member. We went with a friend who enjoys food and unfortunately we hit a bad night. Food came out cool, we felt rushed, it wasn't a pleasant time, but the three of us had fun just being together. She did mention when we were leaving that it was nothing like she imagined it would be based on our previous descriptions and said that she would never waste her time going there again.

We went the next week, our normal server still wasn't back; had the same server as the previous week and it was a totally different meal. Everything was perfect. The time we went with our friend was one of those anomalies. It does happen unfortunately.

Sorry your sister and family didn't have a great time. Don't really have much more to say except, unfortunately, things happen. Not a lot of sunshine in that comment though....

Sugarplumsmom
10-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Oh my Gosh... I know EXACTLY how you feel!!! When my DD danced with her dance group in the MK in June, I recommended several (and I do mean several) restaurants to a few of the famililies that went- Chef Mickey's, Yachtman's,Fulton's, O'Hana's, le Cellier, Coral Reef, etc and NOT one family enjoyed ANY of them!!!!! I don't know what it was or why but they didn't enjoy them- the only restaurant they raved about was Rainforest in DTD- They thought the food and service were outstanding!!! I like the food at RF DTD but usually the service is rather slow and honestly, I like the food at other restaurants much better....I don't get it but needless to say, I was heart-broken and felt some what responsible for them not liking it and spending so much $$$$ on these restaurants. I am very reluctant to recommend any restaurants now - not just Disney...sorry your sister had a bad time but I do know how you are feeling. Sometimes it is the luck of the draw when it comes to service- now, I just politely tell others, including family that we all have different tastes and I want them to make their own judgements and have their own experiences but, no matter what- I DO recommend going to WDW and keeping an OPEN mind, knowing that there might be small "bumps" in the road. "Bumps" will happen but I tell them not to let it ruin the trip.

Laura

PrincessFiona
10-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Don't feel bad about recommending places. You said what you thought was good from your experience. We went to Mama Melrose and the server was the worst. I have never heard anything bad about LeCelliers!

I am sorry they didn't enjoy the food or service but you offered what was good for you.

m 'n c
10-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Oh this is my worst fear and I tend to take things to heart when I hear negative responses to my recommendations. I'm sure it is like everyone has already said though with it just depending on your server and how busy the restaurant is on a particular night. Plus there is no telling what mindset these people had when they walked in and ordered that night.

LuvMyBoys
10-23-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like that. I know it's not my fault and there are so many variables that go into it but still.......you can't help but feeling bad about it!!

In this case it was just a case of bad service and poor communication. WCC is so hit or miss. Our experience there was so wonderful though that I feel really bad that they couldn't have the same kind of fun experience, especially since they were looking forward to it so much.:(

Oh well, win some lose some.......:)

chipndale
10-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Just wondering what was so terrible about the service? Was the server unattentive? We have eaten there several times and we love it. But on one of our trips we took my parents. Well, my dad did not feel like playing along with the "fun" and the server just left us alone. For the rest of us, it was a very average dinner.

LuvMyBoys
10-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Just wondering what was so terrible about the service? Was the server unattentive? We have eaten there several times and we love it. But on one of our trips we took my parents. Well, my dad did not feel like playing along with the "fun" and the server just left us alone. For the rest of us, it was a very average dinner.

The server gave them alot of misinformation (no shakes allowed on ddp, no desserts for the kids, etc), she was crabby and didn't ANYTHING to play the part. That might not usually be a big deal but they have little kids who were watching all the other kids get do stuff and were very sad that they didn't get to do anything. :(

Plus she was very inattentive and semi-rude. I agree that if you don't get to have the "experience" of WCC, it's just an average meal.

dreamer13079
10-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Don't feel bad!!! We normally have a great time wherever we go so the few times that it is crappy don't even count! :) Heck, it was your rave reviews that prompted us to come down for an extra trip in the first place. Tonight we are going to Ohana and I know it will be SUPER! :) The MNSSHP was the coolest thing ever! I will save that for my report when I get home though.

I think the WCC experience depends so much on your server. We made ADR's and showed up 20 minutes early but had to wait 40 minutes to be seated. With a 2,3 and 4 year old that was kind of tough but we got to walk around the lobby and see some cool stuff. When we did get seated, we waited over 10 minutes for our server to even come to the table. That was a bit frustrating. To make a long story short, she wouldn't let the 2 kids on the dining plan get appetizers or dessert. Why deprive a kid of watermelon and chocolate? :) My daughter really wanted to take people ketchup but our waitress didn't even show back up in time to ask for any of our own. We waited a long time for everything and just felt out of patience at the end. Oh well.

Tonight will be great! I know it.

3dog2kidmom
10-24-2007, 07:54 PM
The server gave them alot of misinformation (no shakes allowed on ddp, no desserts for the kids, etc), she was crabby and didn't ANYTHING to play the part. That might not usually be a big deal but they have little kids who were watching all the other kids get do stuff and were very sad that they didn't get to do anything. :(

Plus she was very inattentive and semi-rude. I agree that if you don't get to have the "experience" of WCC, it's just an average meal.

This is where I'm hoping the changes in the 2008 DDP will help. I would definately have made the server aware of my displeasure with my lack of a good tip for service like this.

I have to admit that I had high expectations of WCC when we went in June. And while our server did play the part and we all had a good time, the service was less than stellar. I probably wouldn't have tipped the full included 18% for the service we received --- slow, took a long time with refills, wasn't particularly attentive, etc.

LuvMyBoys
10-24-2007, 08:00 PM
This is where I'm hoping the changes in the 2008 DDP will help. I would definately have made the server aware of my displeasure with my lack of a good tip for service like this.

I have to admit that I had high expectations of WCC when we went in June. And while our server did play the part and we all had a good time, the service was less than stellar. I probably wouldn't have tipped the full included 18% for the service we received --- slow, took a long time with refills, wasn't particularly attentive, etc.

That was exactly what we both said, at least when they have to work for the tip they will have incentive to do a good job!! :)

LuvMyBoys
10-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Don't feel bad!!! We normally have a great time wherever we go so the few times that it is crappy don't even count! Heck, it was your rave reviews that prompted us to come down for an extra trip in the first place. Tonight we are going to Ohana and I know it will be SUPER! The MNSSHP was the coolest thing ever! I will save that for my report when I get home though.

I think the WCC experience depends so much on your server. We made ADR's and showed up 20 minutes early but had to wait 40 minutes to be seated. With a 2,3 and 4 year old that was kind of tough but we got to walk around the lobby and see some cool stuff. When we did get seated, we waited over 10 minutes for our server to even come to the table. That was a bit frustrating. To make a long story short, she wouldn't let the 2 kids on the dining plan get appetizers or dessert. Why deprive a kid of watermelon and chocolate? :) My daughter really wanted to take people ketchup but our waitress didn't even show back up in time to ask for any of our own. We waited a long time for everything and just felt out of patience at the end. Oh well.

Tonight will be great! I know it.

Official dispensation!! I can now let go of the guilt :)

I can't wait to hear about 'Ohana!! :cooldance:

m4travels
10-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Official dispensation!! I can now let go of the guilt :)

Ya gotta love when that happens, too!

M

emtntn
11-25-2007, 06:08 PM
We just got back from Disney and my children were so disappointed in WCC. We were seated at tables behind the wall where they couldn't see anything that was going on in the main room. Our waitress "Tumbleweed" was absolutely terrible. She didn't do a thing and believe me I really hated paying the automatic tip.
We also went to Ohana and it was great. Fabulous service and food.

Disney girl
01-02-2008, 11:30 AM
I have read where some of you don't understand why some visits are more outgoing than others. It is not always the server. First if someone comes in and does not seem to be outgoing themselves we are not to push the limits. Some guests do not know how to take the antics. And since it is Disney if we upset them we get in trouble. Time is always an issue. As I feel when I get one table that is super needy that I do not get to "play" with others. The other is around the holidays. The lobby has choirs and hand bell choirs in it. We are told we cannot be loud. No pony races at those times. So most antics are on hold. ( we are usually so loud they can hear us on the 7th floor)That makes us feel bad because we want to have fun. I go to work because it is fun and most guests are alot of fun to be around.

bs4free
01-02-2008, 04:48 PM
I have read where some of you don't understand why some visits are more outgoing than others. It is not always the server. First if someone comes in and does not seem to be outgoing themselves we are not to push the limits. Some guests do not know how to take the antics. And since it is Disney if we upset them we get in trouble. Time is always an issue. As I feel when I get one table that is super needy that I do not get to "play" with others. The other is around the holidays. The lobby has choirs and hand bell choirs in it. We are told we cannot be loud. No pony races at those times. So most antics are on hold. ( we are usually so loud they can hear us on the 7th floor)That makes us feel bad because we want to have fun. I go to work because it is fun and most guests are alot of fun to be around.
Thanks for that insite, something that makes alot of sense! But that would not have come to mind so quickly!

LuvMyBoys
01-02-2008, 05:47 PM

I understand that all servers aren't going to be the same there and the antics might not always be available for everyone. That's part of the charm of going there, never the same experience twice! ;)

The bad experiences I was talking about had to do with servers being inattentive, semi-rude, and misinformed about the ddp. Not really an issue of noise, etc. :o

My server at WCC was absolutely wonderful and made our meal so much more enjoyable, I wish I remembered her name b/c I would ask you to thank her for me again!! :)

LCS3
01-08-2008, 11:10 AM
We had a similar experiance with WCC just recently. My DH, DD, and I have been MANY times over the past few years and EVERY time was wonderful. So we convinced our extended family to go with us one morning in December. The atmosphere had completely changed. There was only one server acting the part in the whole restaurant. Really the food is just average, we go there for the hilarious entertainment. The family was reluctent to take our advice the rest of the trip!

LCS3
01-08-2008, 11:14 AM

Thank you for that information. We went in December, which would explain the lack of "crazy"! My DH loves going there, he likes to get involved. He is one of the crazy guest that gets right in the mix. We were told he was the first ever to do a "jail break"! Great Fun!