PDA

View Full Version : PayPal Question....Debit Card???

kristenrice
05-13-2010, 11:31 PM
I just "applied" for a PayPal debit card. Normally, my PP acount is at $0 since I transfer payments directly into my credit union checking account. Since the onset of these awesome new surveys, I've noticed my balance climbing very quickly. So, I was thinking that I might start cashing out to my PP account every month.

First, a PP question...I don't buy too much stuff on eBay (the only place that I use PP) but if I do, does it automatically deduct the purchase from your PP account? Or, can you designate that you want the entire amount to come from your bank account or credit card? The reason I ask is because my PP account will be exclusively for SR cashouts which is exclusively for vacation money. I don't want to buy something on eBay and have the cost deducted from my vacation money.

Second, a debit card question....I never use my regular debit cards for anything but the ATM so I am a little fuzzy on how it all will work. I understand the "holds" that are placed on funds at places like hotels and restaurants, but what about gas stations? If I pay at the pump, will it put a hold on extra funds? What about if I pay inside? *If* we get a reservation at Hilton Head, SC next April, we will be driving so I would use the money in the PP account (which would be exclusively all of my earnings from SR:sunshine:) to pay for the gas. I don't want to fill up once and have it tie up the rest of my balance for 4 more days:cry:.

So, for those of you who have the PayPal debit card, is this a reasonable plan? How bad are the fees if I decide that I want to withdraw some cash? I would assume that I could still transfer the money in my PP account to my credit union account, right?

:thanks:

~Kathie
05-14-2010, 12:25 AM
I just "applied" for a PayPal debit card. Normally, my PP acount is at $0 since I transfer payments directly into my credit union checking account. Since the onset of these awesome new surveys, I've noticed my balance climbing very quickly. So, I was thinking that I might start cashing out to my PP account every month.

First, a PP question...I don't buy too much stuff on eBay (the only place that I use PP) but if I do, does it automatically deduct the purchase from your PP account? Or, can you designate that you want the entire amount to come from your bank account or credit card? The reason I ask is because my PP account will be exclusively for SR cashouts which is exclusively for vacation money. I don't want to buy something on eBay and have the cost deducted from my vacation money.

When buying on ebay the default payment is your PayPal balance. If you have money in your PP account you will not have the option to take from your bank account first or use a CC unless it is the PayPal CC from GE Money Bank. If there is not enough money only then will PP take money from a CC or your checking account.

Second, a debit card question....I never use my regular debit cards for anything but the ATM so I am a little fuzzy on how it all will work. I understand the "holds" that are placed on funds at places like hotels and restaurants, but what about gas stations? If I pay at the pump, will it put a hold on extra funds? What about if I pay inside? *If* we get a reservation at Hilton Head, SC next April, we will be driving so I would use the money in the PP account (which would be exclusively all of my earnings from SR:sunshine:) to pay for the gas. I don't want to fill up once and have it tie up the rest of my balance for 4 more days:cry:.

I have the PayPal debit card and I use it as a CC. They will place a hold on your account and if the funds are not there....they'll zap your checking account for the funds. Sometimes the hold was for more than 4 days. It was never an issue for me because I usually only use it for ebay.

So, for those of you who have the PayPal debit card, is this a reasonable plan? How bad are the fees if I decide that I want to withdraw some cash?

What type of account do you have? I only get charged fees when I accept money so not sure what fees?? Do you mean ATM fees for a non-network ATM?? I've never used my card there so I can't tell you but you could probably find it on PP somewhere.

I would assume that I could still transfer the money in my PP account to my credit union account, right?

That's what I would do. Or use the money to buy gift cards for gas stations and any chain restaurants you think you might eat at.

BTW......there is a wonderful diner right near Disney's HH. Terrific food and not expensive.

kristenrice
05-14-2010, 12:11 PM
When buying on ebay the default payment is your PayPal balance. If you have money in your PP account you will not have the option to take from your bank account first or use a CC unless it is the PayPal CC from GE Money Bank. If there is not enough money only then will PP take money from a CC or your checking account.

This is the part I was afraid of. Since my PayPal earnings would be STRICTLY for my vacation fund, I would have no way to purchase anything on eBay using PayPal. I would want to "bypass" the funds in the account, but I guess there is not a way to do that.

Perhaps I can set up a new PayPal account just for my eBay purchases, which really aren't that many. I shop on eBay about three times a year.

~Kathie
05-14-2010, 12:16 PM
This is the part I was afraid of. Since my PayPal earnings would be STRICTLY for my vacation fund, I would have no way to purchase anything on eBay using PayPal. I would want to "bypass" the funds in the account, but I guess there is not a way to do that.

Perhaps I can set up a new PayPal account just for my eBay purchases, which really aren't that many. I shop on eBay about three times a year.

Yeah....PP doesn't let you bypass your balance. That's free money to them. If you use your CC it costs them money.

You can have more than one PP account so opening one up for ebay is doable. Just remember to change your information on ebay.