PDA

View Full Version : My Furnace will start running tomorrow

linanglab
10-31-2007, 11:42 AM
Anyone waiting until Nov. 1? I know it is dumb, but I hate spending money on my gas bill, so I try to wait until Nov. 1 to turn on the heat. We have a budget of $279 every month, 12 months a year. Ouch....We keep our house at 63 degrees. BRRRRR...... And if you know me, I HATE being cold. I am bundled up at home ALL winter long. But I am a frugal person, and rather be cold than spend $$$ on a gas bill. THAT is not a fun thing to spend $$ on!

We do have a gas fireplace that I use to warm things up a bit. It is cheaper running that for our living space, then running the furnace for the whole house. And I have been running that a few days this month. Our house has not gotten below 63 yet, so I did not have to turn it on early. YEAH!!!!

I do envy those who live in the south and are warm ALL the time.

Happy heating!

bartleby1
10-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Unfortunately, I've already had to use mine. I keep it pretty cold too, but one morning my house was 58 degrees. There would be NO way I'd be able to get my kids out of bed without turning the heat on! My house is only 10 years old but the windows are shot so once the temps get down into the 40's at night, the house gets cold pretty quick. We've thought about replacing the windows, but the lowest quote we got was $16,000! That could pay for a lot of heat, lol!

disney_girl
10-31-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure you would be too jealous of our A/C bills though! Even now, we're still having some days in the 80's! We keep our house a little warmer than most in the summer and a little cooler than most in the winter to try to shave some off those bills. But when we have a hot summer, it can be brutal!

Good luck keeping the costs down and budle up!!!

linanglab
10-31-2007, 11:57 AM
Unfortunately, I've already had to use mine. I keep it pretty cold too, but one morning my house was 58 degrees. There would be NO way I'd be able to get my kids out of bed without turning the heat on! My house is only 10 years old but the windows are shot so once the temps get down into the 40's at night, the house gets cold pretty quick. We've thought about replacing the windows, but the lowest quote we got was $16,000! That could pay for a lot of heat, lol!

I think the only thing that saved me from turning it on was my gas fireplace. However, upstairs where the kids sleep was pretty cold. But once they got downstairs, they were fine (except they would huddle around the fireplace a bit to warm up. LOL)

We got new siding and windows about 5 years ago. The main part of our house was built in 1870, so obviously was in need for heat costs. When we were not on a budget and before we resided and windowed, we got a gas bill over $900!!!!!! There was NO way I could afford that every month! That is a house payment! So that summer we got on a budget and new windows.

We have a 2nd part of the house that has its own furnace (so we have 2 furnaces) and we keep that one at 55 or so. The kids play back there in the winter, but run around and get hot and sweaty anyway. (The room is about 2000 SF and they play kickball, football, etc, making them sweat like men...). So I don't mind keeping it cold back there, except that is where my laundry room is. So I am speedy launderer in the winter time!

linanglab
10-31-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure you would be too jealous of our A/C bills though! Even now, we're still having some days in the 80's! We keep our house a little warmer than most in the summer and a little cooler than most in the winter to try to shave some off those bills. But when we have a hot summer, it can be brutal!

Good luck keeping the costs down and budle up!!!

That is true! My DH gets grumpy when he is hot. I like it hot. I am VERY comfortable when our house reaches 83 degrees, but DH gripes. So our air comes on when it gets about 83-84 in the house. Then we turn it to 79. (However I have noticed DH turning it down to 78 and 77 behind my back, the little snot!)

DisneyMa
10-31-2007, 03:26 PM
When we were not on a budget and before we resided and windowed, we got a gas bill over $900!!!!!! There was NO way I could afford that every month! That is a house payment!

Yikes!! A $900 house payment! Sign me up!!:D Our mortage is more than double that! So, you could move to CA and have nice weather year round, but your house payment would go up a little!!:rotfl:

Back to the heating: We keep our house at 68 in the "winter" Our electric/gas bill is under $150 year round.

Blessing and Miracle
10-31-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm in the South and wish I wasn't. I wish we could really "experience" all four seasons! The sun is shining like a looking glass as we speak.:rotfl:

disney_girl
10-31-2007, 03:48 PM
I agree... although I don't want the super cold weather, I would like to experience all 4 seasons here! We seem to go straight from hot summers to cold (for us) winters! I guess none of us has the "perfect" weather for everyone!

Before we had our son, we used to keep the house much colder in the winter- just wore more clothes. We tend to keep it a little warmer than that with him in the house- I'm sure when the kids get a little older, we'll just tell them to put on more clothes! lol Angela- you'd be comfortable in my house in the summer time lol! I would have passed out with a $900 bill.. that's not much less than our mortgage payment. Yikes!! We have some friends here that just moved into a 3500 sq ft house and kept the temp at about 65 during the hot summer... their bills were regularly around $1000+ :eek: DH told me if that was our bill, he would send us somewhere free during the day to use their A/C. lol

Blessing and Miracle
10-31-2007, 04:15 PM
I agree... although I don't want the super cold weather, I would like to experience all 4 seasons here! We seem to go straight from hot summers to cold (for us) winters! I guess none of us has the "perfect" weather for everyone!

Before we had our son, we used to keep the house much colder in the winter- just wore more clothes. We tend to keep it a little warmer than that with him in the house- I'm sure when the kids get a little older, we'll just tell them to put on more clothes! lol Angela- you'd be comfortable in my house in the summer time lol! I would have passed out with a $900 bill.. that's not much less than our mortgage payment. Yikes!! We have some friends here that just moved into a 3500 sq ft house and kept the temp at about 65 during the hot summer... their bills were regularly around $1000+ :eek: DH told me if that was our bill, he would send us somewhere free during the day to use their A/C. lol'

I agree with your DH!:rotfl:

Lisaj68
10-31-2007, 04:30 PM
Yikes!! A $900 house payment! Sign me up!!:D Our mortage is more than double that! So, you could move to CA and have nice weather year round, but your house payment would go up a little!!:rotfl:

Back to the heating: We keep our house at 68º in the "winter" Our electric/gas bill is under $150 year round.

HA! We moved to Ohio from San Mateo, California (did the EQ wake you up this morning???!!!???) and we never had a PG&E bill over $100. And that is electric AND gas combined. Now, that is what my electric bill is and we are on the budget plan for $115 per month, for all 12 months for the gas.

I keep my heat at 63 or 64 during the day and 59 once the kids go to bed. I also try to hang a lot of my laundry during the winter to keep the bill down. Yes, I can be cheap about some things and don't mind wearing a sweatshirt in the house!!

I do have to say we had the most beautiful autumn this year!!! The trees were beautiful and the weather was in the 60's or so.

Wendi63
10-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Anyone waiting until Nov. 1? I know it is dumb, but I hate spending money on my gas bill, so I try to wait until Nov. 1 to turn on the heat. We have a budget of $279 every month, 12 months a year. Ouch....We keep our house at 63 degrees. BRRRRR...... And if you know me, I HATE being cold. I am bundled up at home ALL winter long. But I am a frugal person, and rather be cold than spend $$$ on a gas bill. THAT is not a fun thing to spend $$ on!

We do have a gas fireplace that I use to warm things up a bit. It is cheaper running that for our living space, then running the furnace for the whole house. And I have been running that a few days this month. Our house has not gotten below 63 yet, so I did not have to turn it on early. YEAH!!!!

I do envy those who live in the south and are warm ALL the time.

Happy heating!

I feel your pain!!! We are in central Ohio and I haven't turned my furnace on yet and don't plan on turning it on until we all wake up blue from the cold.:rotfl: Our house is only three years old and has a very up to date heating and cooling system as well as windows and insulation but our bills are still horrible. We didn't get a gas burning fireplace put into this house because our last house had one and while beautiful to look at, it didn't put out any heat. I could just see the dollars burning in the flames when we would turn it on. I kind of wish we would have chosen that option at times because they are so easy to use and soothing to watch. Anyway, it was 56 degrees in our house the other morning and I was very tempted to turn on the heat, but it warmed up quickly as the sun came out. So, I'm glad I resisted temptation to save the money. It is getting harder and harder to make ends meet when everything keeps going up by leaps and bounds and your income only goes up by pennies.

linanglab
10-31-2007, 05:35 PM
HA! We moved to Ohio from San Mateo, California (did the EQ wake you up this morning???!!!???) and we never had a PG&E bill over $100. And that is electric AND gas combined. Now, that is what my electric bill is and we are on the budget plan for $115 per month, for all 12 months for the gas.

I keep my heat at 63 or 64 during the day and 59 once the kids go to bed. I also try to hang a lot of my laundry during the winter to keep the bill down. Yes, I can be cheap about some things and don't mind wearing a sweatshirt in the house!!

I do have to say we had the most beautiful autumn this year!!! The trees were beautiful and the weather was in the 60's or so.

Where in Ohio are you from? We are in the Findlay area. I think you might have mentioned it in another post awhile back, but can't remember. Actually, our fall has been very mild and warm this year. I hope that does NOT mean that we will be paying later this winter for such a nice fall!

I like the seasons, but right after Christmas I want it to be hot again. I can only handle cold for so long. I get depressed and my body aches terribly from the cold. Maybe we will retire someplace further south!

mjjmbnmm
10-31-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm like you, once christmas is done, I'm so ready for spring, by Feb. it really gets depressing, it always seems like the coldest month.

Lisaj68
10-31-2007, 08:29 PM
Where in Ohio are you from? We are in the Findlay area. I think you might have mentioned it in another post awhile back, but can't remember. Actually, our fall has been very mild and warm this year. I hope that does NOT mean that we will be paying later this winter for such a nice fall!

I like the seasons, but right after Christmas I want it to be hot again. I can only handle cold for so long. I get depressed and my body aches terribly from the cold. Maybe we will retire someplace further south!

I live in the Medina area. It was funny, we were driving back from my Aunt's house this weekend in Fremont and I was thinking about you cause I saw a sign for Findlay!!!

I heard that the Farmer's Almanac says we are supposed to have a mild winter. I don't mind the cold as long as it is snowing! If I am going to be cold, I want it to be pretty outside!!!

linanglab
11-01-2007, 06:41 AM
I live in the Medina area. It was funny, we were driving back from my Aunt's house this weekend in Fremont and I was thinking about you cause I saw a sign for Findlay!!!

I heard that the Farmer's Almanac says we are supposed to have a mild winter. I don't mind the cold as long as it is snowing! If I am going to be cold, I want it to be pretty outside!!!

I agree. If it is going to be cold, there better be a reason for it. And the only reason would be for pretty snow....:)

sammielynn
11-01-2007, 06:57 AM
I've had my heat on for a two to three weeks, just to take the chill of the house in the mornings. If the house gets below 65 I need some heat, I do have it set at 60 at night. Our house was built in 1890 and it is drafty. I dress like I'm going to the arctic during the winter just to stay warm. I pay my my utilities on the equal payment plan and it runs $300 per month and I always end up paying about $400 more on the even up month. I just hate it but I do want to be warm.

linanglab
11-01-2007, 07:20 AM
I've had my heat on for a two to three weeks, just to take the chill of the house in the mornings. If the house gets below 65 I need some heat, I do have it set at 60 at night. Our house was built in 1890 and it is drafty. I dress like I'm going to the arctic during the winter just to stay warm. I pay my my utilities on the equal payment plan and it runs $300 per month and I always end up paying about $400 more on the even up month. I just hate it but I do want to be warm.

Wow...you sound like me. I have sweats, turtlenecks, sweatshirts, socks, slippers and my robe on most everyday in the winter if I am at home. Crazy. Our budge is $279 like I said previously. Last year it was $350, but went down. We have never had to owe. I feel for you. I like old houses, but they can be costly when it comes to heating them. We had insulation blown in when we resided. There was NO insulation in the walls. That made a big difference in our bills.