PDA

View Full Version : Where to have my ONE table service....

linanglab
06-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi all! Going August 3-11. Have the quick service dining plan (had it last year and loved it!)

Thinking about doing 1 sit-down meal during our trip. We really like counter service, but it is fun to do 1 or 2 "nicer" meals, or character meals, or something different.

We have done:

Sci Fi - we LOVED the theme. Very fun
Cinderella Castle - my boys really liked the food and the family style
Crystal Palace - My personal favorite since Eeyore is the best!
Rainforest Cafe - This is my all time favorite for a non-disney place. LOVE theming
The Dinosaur Place (like RFC) - very fun, but LOUD
Chef Mickey - It was nice. Like the characaters
Restarauntasaurus - did this 7 years ago. It was fun with characters.
Liberty Tree Inn at MK - This was our least favorite
Polynesian restaurant (for the SR meet) - VERY nice and fun. YUMMY!
Planet Hollywood - Kids like this. Like the theme

Don't think I forgot anything. So...any other suggestions for the kids and me? Boys are 15 & 13. Bethany is 9 (will turn 10 on our trip).

Thought about the Luau. But heard lots of bad reviews. Only have about 60 days til our trip, so not sure about getting a good time. But...would love to hear your ideas! Thanks!

bbangel
06-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Hmmmm I think I would suggest Ohana or 50's Prime Time. The food is okay at both (some is fab) and there is some fun atmosphere and a family kind of feel. Ohana the food is served family style with the meat skewers being brought around. With 2 boys you might like the "all you can eat" kind of style. There is some fun going on with a bit of a hawain feel. Wait I think this is where you went for the SR meet so you know all about it.

Prime Time you order individual meals of the menu (some of it very yummy - love the fried chicken!). The big draw here is that you sit in what looks like a 50's kitchen/living area and your server is your cousin or aunt who isn't afraid to make you eat your veggies. Can be very fun if you play along.

gpp2001
06-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Here are the Table Service Restaurants we like to eat at:

Ohana - Polynesion
Rose and Crown - England at Epcot
California Grill - Contemporary
Kona Cafe - Polynesian
Flying Fish - Boardwalk

I am totally blanking on the rest of the places we eat - maybe it's been too long!!! Maybe instead of renewing our Annual Passes to Disneyland we should go to the World!!! :sunshine:

If I think of more - I'll post again!

kristenrice
06-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Boma!! BEST breakfast on property!:love: The food is awesome and the atmosphere cannot be beat. We always eat breakfast here on our departure day. Personally, we love the buffets and feel that we can really get our money's worth, but we hate to pay for the "entertainment". I think that Boma is the only buffet restaurant that does NOT have characters, which makes it cheaper. The dinner is good too, but breakfast is the best!

For dinner, my favorite is LeCellier, but I only eat there if I am on a dining plan. I just can't take the prices:eek:! We usually break up our DVC stay into 2 nights in a studio (with a dining plan) and 3 nights in a 1BR without a plan. That way, we can enjoy some of the pricier establishments on the DDP and save the leftovers for later in the week when we have a kitchen.

We also make Rainforest Cafe or T-Rex a must-do on our list because I always have gift cards from Landry's to use up:sunshine:.

ShanPooh
06-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Allears has menus that may help you decide.

My kids are younger than yours (5 and 9), but they really liked Ohana's character breakfast with Lilo, Stitch, Mickey, and Pluto.
During lunch and dinner they have some antics at Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge, which is fun.
We love Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge for breakfast and dinner. I've heard Tusker House at Animal Kingdom has a similar breakfast, plus you get Donald, Daisy, Mickey, and Goofy.
Next time we go, before the kiddos get too old (but we're never too old), I'd love to go to Crystal Palace again!

We've gone during free dining, so we got to try all sorts of great places.

Since you have the quick service plan, you could drop into Captain Cook's at the Poly. They have Tonga Toast at breakfast and things like Hawaiian Flatbread pizza, Polynesian salad, stir-fried noodles, and Aloha pork sandwich for lunch and dinner. Of course, my favorite is getting pineapple Dole Whip there :D

Also, Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney is great for quick service!

Have fun planning!!!

lkat
06-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Our absolute 2 favorites are LeCelier and O'hana! But if you're paying out of pocket, Le Celier would be really pricey!

How about Teppan Edo in Japan for something different? They have the hibachi in front of you where the chef does his whole show while he's cooking your meal...our kids LOVED it! and so did we! Check it out on allears for some menu details and maybe a more thorough review! I wish I knew how to post pictures on here b/c the chef we had last month did this awesome scene out of food on our grill and posed with my daughter...too funny!

secretmoney
06-02-2010, 02:59 PM
I love the quick service plan too. Last year my daughter and I did the Cape May Cafe clam bake buffet. It was good, lots of choices. I know that when my boys were teenagers, all you can eat was important! At our local chinese buffet he was asked to leave once because he ate too much! ( he didn't leave).

ShanPooh
06-02-2010, 03:29 PM
At our local chinese buffet he was asked to leave once because he ate too much! ( he didn't leave).

"You go now! You been here four hour!" - John Pinette "Chinese Buffet" :D

momof3lovebugs
06-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Boma!! BEST breakfast on property!:love: The food is awesome and the atmosphere cannot be beat. We always eat breakfast here on our departure day. Personally, we love the buffets and feel that we can really get our money's worth, but we hate to pay for the "entertainment". I think that Boma is the only buffet restaurant that does NOT have characters, which makes it cheaper. The dinner is good too, but breakfast is the best!

For dinner, my favorite is LeCellier, but I only eat there if I am on a dining plan. I just can't take the prices:eek:! We usually break up our DVC stay into 2 nights in a studio (with a dining plan) and 3 nights in a 1BR without a plan. That way, we can enjoy some of the pricier establishments on the DDP and save the leftovers for later in the week when we have a kitchen.

We also make Rainforest Cafe or T-Rex a must-do on our list because I always have gift cards from Landry's to use up:sunshine:.

Oooh! now that is an idea....since we won't be going into the parks our d day. How is the food? Is it very ethnic and spicy? My family does not do either. I am the ONLY adventurous one in the lot. :D

kristenrice
06-02-2010, 04:06 PM
"You go now! You been here four hour!" - John Pinette "Chinese Buffet" :D

OMG!!!:rotfl: I thought the EXACT SAME quote when I read that....accent and everything!!:D

kristenrice
06-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Oooh! now that is an idea....since we won't be going into the parks our d day. How is the food? Is it very ethnic and spicy? My family does not do either. I am the ONLY adventurous one in the lot. :D

Well, if scrambled eggs, Mickey waffles, bacon and sausage are too exotic for you, then I would skip it:).

It is not "exotic" at all! They do have some "ethnic" varieties, like eggs scrambled with spinach and goat cheese, but for the most part, it is basic breakfast fare. They have french toast that is TO DIE FOR!! It is made with a thick-cut raisin bread that has both purple and yellow raisins in it. Oh, my mouth waters just thinking about it!:love: They also have ham(?) at the carving station for breakfast and a made-to-order omelette station too. Then there's the fresh fruit, pastries, cold cereal and oatmeal section as well. It is a very substantial buffet and nobody will leave hungry. They also serve a beverage called "Frunch". It is a blend of three fruit juices and I have no idea which ones...orange/mango/pineapple maybe? I don't know, but it is good. My kids are the pickiest eaters and they absolutely love Boma.

If you have time on your departure day, I think that a trip to the AKL would be a great idea. You can see the animals from the savannas, hang out in the fabulous lobby and load up on a great breakfast at Boma. I love just chilling out on our last day there and really taking it all in before we have to head back to reality.

iluvamystery89
06-02-2010, 04:31 PM
my family tried the tusker house breakfast last june, and LOVED it! the service was wonderful, the food was delicious, and the character interaction (mickey, goofy, donald and daisy in safari gear) was great!
we also love biergarten. the atmosphere is fun and my daughter loves the live band-they encourage anyone who wants to come down and dance. the food is also yummy (especially the pork schnitzel)!

linanglab
06-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will have to do some research!!!! Right now I am leaning toward Ohana and maybe Boma. Is Boma at AKL? My concern with that is that I use Disney bussing, and not sure how convenient that will be.

Any DTD options???? I am pretty bad about knowing which restaraunt is where....

My kids - especially the oldest LOVES the buffets or all you can eat. So Ohana and Boma would be good options.

Where is Tusker House?

momof3lovebugs
06-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Well, if scrambled eggs, Mickey waffles, bacon and sausage are too exotic for you, then I would skip it:).

It is not "exotic" at all! They do have some "ethnic" varieties, like eggs scrambled with spinach and goat cheese, but for the most part, it is basic breakfast fare. They have french toast that is TO DIE FOR!! It is made with a thick-cut raisin bread that has both purple and yellow raisins in it. Oh, my mouth waters just thinking about it!:love: They also have ham(?) at the carving station for breakfast and a made-to-order omelette station too. Then there's the fresh fruit, pastries, cold cereal and oatmeal section as well. It is a very substantial buffet and nobody will leave hungry. They also serve a beverage called "Frunch". It is a blend of three fruit juices and I have no idea which ones...orange/mango/pineapple maybe? I don't know, but it is good. My kids are the pickiest eaters and they absolutely love Boma.

If you have time on your departure day, I think that a trip to the AKL would be a great idea. You can see the animals from the savannas, hang out in the fabulous lobby and load up on a great breakfast at Boma. I love just chilling out on our last day there and really taking it all in before we have to head back to reality.

We are actually STAYING at AKL!!! This would be the perfect sendoff!! :cooldance: thanks for the great suggestion!! :clap:

Hedy
06-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will have to do some research!!!! Right now I am leaning toward Ohana and maybe Boma. Is Boma at AKL? My concern with that is that I use Disney bussing, and not sure how convenient that will be.

My kids - especially the oldest LOVES the buffets or all you can eat. So Ohana and Boma would be good options.

Where is Tusker House?

It's at Animal Kingdom.
What about Yak n Yeti-it's at AK, and it's owned by the rainforest cafe, so you could get landy's gift cards through SR, and eat there for "free."

iluvamystery89
06-03-2010, 01:30 PM

Where is Tusker House?

Tusker House is at AK, and we were quite surprised and delighted with the variety and amount of food offered on the buffet. they even had bread and a toaster to make toast! lol

ShanPooh
06-04-2010, 11:07 PM

Where is Tusker House?

For Ohana the easiest thing to do would be to take the bus to Magic Kingdom, then take the monorail to the Poly.

For Boma, take the bus to Animal Kingdom, then another bus from there to Animal Kingdom Lodge.

I've heard suggestions that you should leave your resort one hour before your reservation time when using the buses. That's what we (try) to do - but you know, four people, vacation, getting ready in one room...:rotfl:

arob414
06-12-2010, 09:50 PM
We are just back, did 9 sit down dinners (we were on the dining plan, first time). We had kids 17, 15, 12 and 2. We tried a lot of different spots and hands down our favorite was Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge. Great food and lots of fun. We did Boma and that was well liked, Chef Mickey is a favorite, Sci Fi Diner was different. The only place we didn't care for was the Mexican restaurant, at Epcot. It used to be a favorite but has changed too much.

m 'n c
06-12-2010, 10:50 PM
We love going to Biergarten. It is an all you can eat meat and potatoes type place so your boys would love it. They also have a German band that plays while you eat at night.

shmily1
06-13-2010, 10:40 AM
We love the Cape May Cafe breakfast! It's our favorite breakfast when we're not with little ones. (For that, it's now H& V!)

For lunch and dinner, we love Coral Reef, Rainforest Cafe, TRex, and House of Blues. All four of those have great atmosphere, awesome food, and great service. It's always soooo hard for us to choose between all of these!

schaery
06-22-2010, 05:40 PM
I agree with the Boma's for breakfast. We always eat there the day we leave so we'll have a something to make the day happier. Wonderful buffet.

Kona's has a terrific dinner menu.

3dog2kidmom
06-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Here is what we're doing -- I am making ADRs this week for our Christmas trip -- see if anything strikes ya...

'Ohana dinner
Whispering Canyon Cafe dinner
Le Cellier lunch
Boma dinner
Brown Derby (Fantasmic package)
California Grill (date night)
Restaurant Marrakesh
and Yak & Yeti