PDA

View Full Version : What documents as far as Id

askomsky
11-04-2007, 05:38 PM
do I need for the kids to fly? This is the first time DH and I have flown post 9.11 with the kids.
I know we'll need our driver's license, ins card (for rental) etc.

Will their birth certificates be enough?

Anything else I may be forgetting?
Thanks!
April

mjjmbnmm
11-04-2007, 05:43 PM
kids don't need id to fly.

wilsonfamily4
11-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Poster above is correct. kids need nothing if flying in the US. :) I was really surprised by this when we went in January

askomsky
11-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Poster above is correct. kids need nothing if flying in the US. :) I was really surprised by this when we went in January

Hmmm, I was forewarned by several local people that we needed it. But then again we're flying out of Phila Int airport and I know there's always "something" that comes up when your flying out of there. When I talked to someone at church today they told me how her one son had a problem out of Philly but no problems flying out of FL back to Phila.
I think I'll bring them just in case.

Thanks!
April

cglaura
11-04-2007, 09:03 PM
My dd (15) flew w/ my mom out of Philly in April and she didn't need to show I.D. I thought it was really strange too, b/c they have different last names.

You could check w/ your local county clerk. Ours here has a county I.D. you can purchase for $10. You have to show proof of residency etc, but they do the photo and print out the card right then and there, no waiting. Maybe you can check and get one just for peace of mind.

Or, if they are school age, a school I.D. would be accepted.

Good luck! Have a fun time!!

wilsonfamily4
11-04-2007, 10:23 PM
hmm, well we flew out of Portland Oregon with not one look at our kids and then back from Orlando. I had asked a lot of peopel before hand because I couldn't see how they would even know they were ours and everyone said no ID. But if you feel you need to I would bring birth certificates. Or call your local airport.

pbhall13
11-05-2007, 01:12 PM
April.......

I have flown out of Boston and Manchester, NH over 10 times since 9/11 and not once did I need to show any id for my girls.........the only thing that happens is when they are checking your tickets they just want to visably see the child.....

If it gives you peace of mind, bring them, they are only small pieces of paper so it won't take up much room!!

faithhope
11-05-2007, 01:21 PM
We fly 2 times a year... the only time I needed Id for my child was to prove they were under 2 and could be a lap child.

Faith

askomsky
11-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks ladies! I think I'll just photocopy and bring them just in case, although I can ever get through to the airport and ask then I may save myself the headache!

I flew with DS8 when he was 18 months old and didn't need any id, but then again it was in 2000, things were a lot different "back" then.

3dog2kidmom
11-06-2007, 09:02 PM
April, I've flown a lot with Taylor and the only time the kids needed any id was when we went on the cruise this year and of course then I had their passports. But they never even wanted to see them at the airports.

Prepare the kids that they *may* be asked for their names and how old they are (that happened to Taylor in Orlando I think), but it was only one time.