PDA

View Full Version : Aggghhh! I'm sooooo glad WE'RE not like that!

Magical JenK
11-07-2007, 12:05 AM
This week I'm in a very "Disney" mood! :mickey: I want to start planning for our 2008 trip & I've been talking to a friend who just got back & I've been searching the SR Disney section & then I went over THERE and I'm so sick w/what I'm reading!

I used to spend a lot of time on the site. Like many of us, I found out about SR on the site. I learn a lot on the site. BUT (and I know I'm not the first to point this out, I just need to vent) it seems NO ONE is safe from posting ANYTHING over there! People jumping all over each other's opinions & not letting it go & just complaining & belittling (sp?) & no sense of humor & no respect period!

I just put myself through a horrible thread on tipping & the 2008 dining plan and I couldn't even finish the posts! There are 10 pgs...I stopped at 2! I know, I know...tipping & the dining plan are very HOT topics period, but my goodness! These people were relentless! The OP was just asking what people were thinking regarding table service & buffets since the tip will no longer be included in the DDP next year...innocent enough, right? NOT on there!

So I stopped reading & came over here! I feel like SR forums are so kind, gentle & innocent! I pray that we keep this respectful way of genuinely answering each other's posts that we have going here. I really appreciate all of your time and if you read &/or answer my posts, I'm thankful because I know we are all busy. And I'm just happy that Tricia started these forums so we can talk about our Disney & non-Disney things & be nice to each other!! :sunshine: Being nice to each other has caused many of us to find OTHER things in common...I know, I know....OTHER than Disney or SR...but it's true! :p

I feel like I just needed to hide behind my SR security blanket after reading that thread. :hugs:

Thanks for letting me vent!
Jen

DisneyMa
11-07-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm not sure which site you are referring to, but yes I totally understand! I used to post on another Disney site and everyone seemed so mean to everyone (that is unless you had been to a meet) so all the newbies were jumped all over for asking a question that had already been answered!

I love SR and the forums. I (like you) feel very safe and welcomed here:D

m 'n c
11-07-2007, 12:11 AM
I know. I only read/lurk on the hot topics in the Community Board because it makes me laugh/angered in a way (sad I know).

But yeah I'm tired of all the fighting over there and I'm only barely reading the budget area and community board. OMG did you happen to check the thread about someone sneaking a dog into one of the resorts. Talk about people getting all over one another for minding their own business instead of people breaking the rules.

on a side note I am liking disneyworldtrivia.com's forums for general disney stuff. They tend to be nicer in replies. I also like their sense of sarcasm in properly labeled threads. If you need a disney fix besides here then try there.

Magical JenK
11-07-2007, 12:18 AM
[QUOTE=m 'n c;71539] OMG did you happen to check the thread about someone sneaking a dog into one of the resorts. Talk about people getting all over one another for minding their own business instead of people breaking the rules.
[QUOTE]

YES! I did read the dog thread & I laughed...but there were plenty that weren't laughing! Did you see the thread w/photos of what people were wearing at the parks! Talk about NO SENSE OF HUMOR! My lord!

I'll hae to check out the trivia site!! Thanks! I've also lurked mousebuzz in the past, but not recently.

Thanks for understanding!!:p

bs4free
11-07-2007, 12:23 AM
I really enjoy the SR community something that is just hard to find on the Very Large Boards!

Have fun Jen Planing for 2008, its always fun to plan, or dream, about disney!

m 'n c
11-07-2007, 12:30 AM
Hey Jen - when are you going in 2008? September again?

wilsonfamily4
11-07-2007, 01:02 AM
I SOOOOO agree. I used to spend a lot of time over there and now i do it when I need a particular answer. I love SR's forum!

Kycha
11-07-2007, 01:28 AM
I totally know what you mean. Last week, I read the most vile post I have ever read on the internet over there. For a place that is dedicated to "The Happiest Place on Earth", there sure are a lot of angry people there. I try to stay away from the community board, but will usually lurk to see what the new outrageous thread is. You will usually find me on the Budget Board. But, since SR forums came into existence, I spend much less time over there.:sunshine2:

linanglab
11-07-2007, 07:41 AM
Totally understood. I hardly EVER go over there. It stresses me to read all the posts. People can be SOOO mean. I thought the reason for the DIS was to get Disney information. I read one post where someone asked a simple question about a parade or something. The VERY next post someone remarked how that question has been on before, and if they would take the time to READ you would find that answer. It was a newbie who asked the question on the DIS. I felt SOOOOO sorry for that person.

Why people cannot post an answer without being nasty is beyond me.

I pretty much look at the Budget Board only. I may start lurking around, but I usually stop after a few minutes because I get sick of the meanness.

SR is truly my place to vent, be excited to, ask questions to, etc., without the fear of being lashed out at. I appreciate that immensely!

pbhall13
11-07-2007, 08:31 AM
I am right there with all of you........use to spend most of my time over there on budget board and tips, but now I go there very rarely..........seems to have changed a lot over the years..............

pulling up my SR blanket to keep me cozy today on this chilly morning!!

3dog2kidmom
11-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Jen, I've been lurking (posting very rarely) over there too as I get into "out trip is coming up" mode. I totally agree! And yes, I read the dog thread, too :)

As for the gazillions of pages on tipping opinions... UGH. I read through most of them because I really do want to know the "right" amount to tip for meals next year on our DXDDP. So feel free to discuss that here if you want to --- in this thread or another. I think I have it figured out (need to budget everything ahead!) what we're doing in January. But I wouldn't dare post my intentions "there". LOL.

jnorth1007
11-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Well as far as the tipping question here is what I do. I tip 20%. When we have the DDP and the tip of 18% is added in we always added at least another 2% sometimes more. I do this for sit downs and buffets. I try to tip well because I would bet that being a waiter or waitress is one tough job! I mean having to serve peoples every want and need and deal with ill behaving children and grouchy people. Fits right there with retail jobs. However, retail people get paid so much more hourly than wait staff. HTH and I would love to know what everyone else tips.

icartjetta
11-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Some of those people over there have taken the roll of Disney Police, I think some people need to find better things to do with there time.:sunshine:

m4travels
11-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Time for me to chime in as well.

Partner dude and I found the the other board right after we purchased DVC. Talk about putting the cart before the horse! We were supposed to do research?????

We started reading and posting and for the most part people were fine. I never really traveled to the nether regions of the board and as we were going on a Disney cruise stayed mostly in the cruise section and our specific cruise meet. We met great people, linked reservations for dinner for the 18, and have gotten together with some of them since that Jan '06 cruise (including a husband and wife from Panama who came to DL to run the half marathon and marathon.)

Then I went DOWN the list of communities and found.... THE COMMUNITY BOARD! Okay, if I insult someone I apologize - many of those folks have just too much time on their hands and I do question the sanity of many of them. Political debates? My home schooling is better than your home schooling is better than your private schooling is better than the public institution the rest of you poor suckers have to deal with is better than your house without a roof because you voted for X???? And then they post a picture of a smiling family???? Sorry, folks, I'm not liking it much over there.

I do have one little niche over there that I check in and read daily to see who's having fun and where / what time people are heading out, but that takes about 5 minutes. I then check out our upcoming cruise meet and see who's doing what and who's joining..... and then I come over to the SR Forum (where some of you may think I have too much time on my hands and question (rightfully so) my sanity!)

Y'all are MUCH more fun!

Dude

m 'n c
11-07-2007, 10:25 AM
I totally know what you mean. Last week, I read the most vile post I have ever read on the internet over there. For a place that is dedicated to "The Happiest Place on Earth", there sure are a lot of angry people there. I try to stay away from the community board, but will usually lurk to see what the new outrageous thread is. You will usually find me on the Budget Board. But, since SR forums came into existence, I spend much less time over there.:sunshine2:

Oh now you have me curious. I was reading a pretty crazy thread last week that got poofed and was getting way out there.

As far as tipping I hate everyone's attitude over there on how you should tip everyone. I'm sorry but I'm not tipping someone who's job is to do a specific thing and they get minimum wage or higher. I will tip for dining - normally 10-20% (mostly in the 18-20% range unless the waiter/waitress was horrid and then its in the 10-15%). Hair stylists - normally 10% because I can't really afford to tip 20%. Vallet - $1 or $2. I don't really do baggage people otherwise $1 or $2. When they start getting into people like movers/pizza delivery people and the likes I draw the line. These people are all getting over minimum wage so no I don't tip.

LuvMyBoys
11-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Oh now you have me curious. I was reading a pretty crazy thread last week that got poofed and was getting way out there.

As far as tipping I hate everyone's attitude over there on how you should tip everyone. I'm sorry but I'm not tipping someone who's job is to do a specific thing and they get minimum wage or higher. I will tip for dining - normally 10-20% (mostly in the 18-20% range unless the waiter/waitress was horrid and then its in the 10-15%). Hair stylists - normally 10% because I can't really afford to tip 20%. Vallet - $1 or $2. I don't really do baggage people otherwise $1 or $2. When they start getting into people like movers/pizza delivery people and the likes I draw the line. These people are all getting over minimum wage so no I don't tip.

You don't tip the pizza delivery guy?? :rotfl: That's too funny to me, I would never not tip the guy unless there was a delivery charge. Those are the ones that get me, like room service, there's a delivery charge and then they want a tip too. :) I guess it all depends on who's collecting the charge (like if the company is getting it or the guy).

Anyway, your tip should always be based on your service IMO. If you get bad service you shouldn't have to feel like you need to tip 15% just because the person is a server and that job sucks.

You know when you take the job as a server that the hourly wage is low and if you want to make money you have to do a good job to make good tips. I waitressed for 2 years through college, it's hard but it's not THAT hard!! And I never gave bad service, no matter how rude the people were, what my personal problems were, the bad mood the chef was in, etc. It's a JOB!

Ok, rant over. Sorry. :)

My rule of thumb is 20% for good service, 15% for fair service, and 10% for poor service. But if you're amazing you might get 50%.......and if you're rude to me or my kids you might get $2....just depends! :)

LuvMyBoys
11-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Oh, and on the Dis thing.........I rarely ever go there anymore. Some of the postings on the budget board are so cruel and judgmental. I really hate thinking there are people like that out there. :(

And I didn't bother posting anything about my last trip there either as when I took all that time doing a dining report in May, someone had the gall to post on my thread that "can't we get a separate thread for these dining reports without pictures" :confused: Like it was a total waste of their time to read my report because it didn't have pictures. That really hurt my feelings :(

I'm so glad we have the SR forum now, disney and making money with nice people.....best of both worlds!! :sunshine:

linanglab
11-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Oh, and on the Dis thing.........I rarely ever go there anymore. Some of the postings on the budget board are so cruel and judgmental. I really hate thinking there are people like that out there. :(

And I didn't bother posting anything about my last trip there either as when I took all that time doing a dining report in May, someone had the gall to post on my thread that "can't we get a separate thread for these dining reports without pictures" :confused: Like it was a total waste of their time to read my report because it didn't have pictures. That really hurt my feelings :(

I'm so glad we have the SR forum now, disney and making money with nice people.....best of both worlds!! :sunshine:

When I first joined the Dis, I posted a question about cheaper hotel options for a family of 5. I did word it wrong and was wondering why families of 5 have to pay SOOO much more when we are already eating more, buying more tickets, etc. Well.....I almost cried with some of the answers. One of them told me that I was wrong with have 3 children. One of them told me that it was a stupid question. People were very mean in their responses to me. I really just wanted to know what the cheapest place to stay was, and if Disney had any plans to make the family of 5 option more than JUST POR. I did not write on the boards for awhile after that.

Now I just cringe when I see a refillable mug question, or 5 people staying in a room for 4 or, forbid, the smoking issue. I stay CLEAR away from those. I think people like to debate over there and they think that if someone does not know Disney as much as they do, they are stupid.....

LuvMyBoys
11-07-2007, 12:01 PM
When I first joined the Dis, I posted a question about cheaper hotel options for a family of 5. I did word it wrong and was wondering why families of 5 have to pay SOOO much more when we are already eating more, buying more tickets, etc. Well.....I almost cried with some of the answers. One of them told me that I was wrong with have 3 children. One of them told me that it was a stupid question. People were very mean in their responses to me. I really just wanted to know what the cheapest place to stay was, and if Disney had any plans to make the family of 5 option more than JUST POR. I did not write on the boards for awhile after that.

Now I just cringe when I see a refillable mug question, or 5 people staying in a room for 4 or, forbid, the smoking issue. I stay CLEAR away from those. I think people like to debate over there and they think that if someone does not know Disney as much as they do, they are stupid.....

Oh, now there's a helpful answer!! :computer: How can you possibly think that it is okay to say something like that to someone?? I just don't understand that.

Two things you never want to get into on the dis......1) a discussion of food budgets (or risk the lady that claimed that her husband works hard and she thinks it's wrong to pay less than $8 a pound for his lunch meat b/c he deserves the best!! :rotfl: ) and
2) even the mere suggestion that paying off your mortgage as fast as you can might not always be the wisest choice.

I got ripped up and down for that one. But what do I know, I'm just a lawyer who does estate planning??? Certainly I can't have any helpful insight into the matter! :rotfl:

wilsonfamily4
11-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Tipping even in my own family is a debate so I would never take it over there and get ripped apart. I like to tip 20%. My husband likes to tip on how well they do. And he has high standars. :) Actually they are not high just never met. One of his things is if they refill his drink before it is empty then they have done good. If they wait until it is empty your tip is getting cut. :) And he hates 20% tipping.

I have been tipping the pizza delivery man and then noticed that on the last few bills I had been charged a delivery fee too! So no more tips to him! I live 3 blocks from the pizza place so A 3.00 delivery charge and 2 dollar tip is too much for that pizza. (and before you suggest I just go pick it up then, I usually do it when husband is gone and either I don't want to take kids out or kids are asleep.)

jl8595
11-07-2007, 01:25 PM
The sneaking dog thread threw me through a loop too - what a big pile of people with their panties in a wad!! All I can say is WOWser! I don't spend as much time on there anymore either - mostly just browse the budget board, which usually remains tame and helpful unless someone posts that they have credit card debt, or are interested in getting a home equity loan or something similar...that usually brings out the uglies!

bartleby1
11-07-2007, 01:58 PM
I still read the rewards board and once in a while browse a few others, but I haven't really posted since I returned from my last disney trip and posted a few problems we ran into, mostly with our resort. One poster even insinuated that it was my fault that my room with filthy because we pushed for a location that would be easiest for my handicapped mother to get to the food court. I actually received nasty PM's blaming me for disney assigning me to a dirty room.

So now, I browse every now and then, but I don't need the attitude that spurts so freely over there.

Magical JenK
11-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Well and let's not forget the dreaded "How do I get a PIN code?" thread or the "I got 40% off & didn't have the code" threads! THOSE really got people's undies in a wad! (Going to use that term more often! Thanks Lori!:p )

I do like the dis for the info on codes & promos & looking at photos that people post. However, I would NEVER even think of asking for another place to post NO PHOTO dining threads! Like I said, I know I'm not the first to vent about it, but I'm glad I'm not alone in how much it just makes me cringe reading some of the things people say!

So, thankfully my mouse still works & I just quietly click away from evil postings & go somewhere where I can find nice things! :computer:

I didn't mean to start a thread here on tipping. :angel: We all have our way of doing it & I'm not saying one way is right & another is wrong, I really was hoping to find a post in that thread that said, "Oh didn't you hear, they changed it back that tips WILL be included." I know, wishful thinking, but that CLEARLY didn't happen.

As for my 2008 trip, we're not going in September like normal :( due to DH's work. Grrr...so instead we're going in November....unless I can do some sweet talking & go in December for my bday (my ABSOLUTE Disney dream)! My AAA agent was going to get back to me today w/prices so that will be fun to see! I love to plan my Disney trips & as soon as the $200 deposit is down I KNOW we're going & then I can wait until we're closer to TOTALLY obess about it!! :0)

See, I'm glad I had a place to vent! And what's more, I'm glad you all understand what I was trying to say w/o being mean!

LOVE SR!!

LuvMyBoys
11-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Wait I forgot my favorite:

The ever present "if you have ANY debts whatsoever then you have no business taking a trip to Disney" :rotfl:

Love those people!!

On a serious note, bartleby1 it makes me very sad to know that someone would actually send you a pm blaming you for the poor resort experience :(

m 'n c
11-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Ok I just wanted to follow up with my other tipping post then I'll drop it. Its inline with Wilsonfamily.
My ex was a delivery guy at many different places back home and at each place he was paid more than minimum wage (like $3-$4 higher at the time) plus gas so I'm not too worried about not paying them a tip.

But yeah. I quit posting questions and very rarely post an answer over there. I'm trying to remember any other recent hot topics - the stitch ride is always one that seems to get angry very fast.

wdwabby
11-07-2007, 04:21 PM
I guess I'm in the minority that I still do spend a fair amount of time over there, but I basically completely avoid the community board and when I see a thread topic that clearly is headed in a bad direction, I ignore it (unless I'm in the mood to laugh at people for being stupid, then I might read it!:rotfl: ) But I do have a lengthy pre-trip & trip report over there and have made several friends over there, so I have primarily fond thoughts of the boards.

But I do agree that there is a lot of horrible behavior that goes on, so I just try to avoid it the best I can, I usually stick to the threads where I can find Disney information and Disney pictures and sometimes I check out the freebie thread to get free stuff!

jl8595
11-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Wait I forgot my favorite:

The ever present "if you have ANY debts whatsoever then you have no business taking a trip to Disney" :rotfl:

Love those people!!

LMAO! :rotfl:

Those are some of my favorites too.

Lisaj68
11-07-2007, 07:11 PM
I also found SR thru the disney site, so it certainly served it's purpose for me!

But I remember times when I read thru threads my eyes got wide and sometimes even my jaw would drop at the way people "spoke" to each other! I just assumed it was angry early 20's men trying to prove their manliness (sp?!). I dunno.

One of my favorite icons was the smily face eating popcorn, usually posted after the first or second post to a thread....you knew a fight was just around the corner!

Even the sewing thread got mean sometimes!!!

wilsonfamily4
11-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Even the sewing thread got mean sometimes!!!

Now that is funny! I too love the popcorn man. :) Usually I can see points to each sides fight so it amazes me that other people can be so black and white. Sometimes there is grey!

I go over to the budget thread once in awhile for free stuff but they are the worst there. :)

The one forum there that is really great is the DISigns. The people there are so creative and love to share. It amazes me people would spend so much time for others.

Magical JenK
11-07-2007, 10:25 PM
The one forum there that is really great is the DISigns. The people there are so creative and love to share. It amazes me people would spend so much time for others.

Dee-

That is so true! They are so talented & do it for anyone! THEY are nice!! :p

Weluvdisny
11-10-2007, 11:51 PM
I posted an unrelated Disney question over there and was threatened with this comment "If you even live to talk about it!". I was sooo mad and hurt that they would twist my words around to sound like something really bad that I was doing! I went in an edited my original post twice because I didn't want people to get the wrong impression. I just wanted to pull the thread myself.

So now I just read the good sales they post on the Budget Board and go to the Community Board for the games - you can't go wrong picking a girl's name that starts with each letter of the alphabet...........................
OR CAN YOU??!!!:popcorn: :rotfl:

Mom2aPrincess
11-11-2007, 01:15 AM

Yep! The DISigns are AWESOME!

I don't do much over there anymore either. With our trip getting so close I've been trying to get over there, but find that I just can't get interested anymore. I get so tired of all the nastiness. I just can't understand the reasoning.

Thanks Tricia for giving us another place to turn to! :love: :sunshine2:

tacomaranch
11-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Ok, there is a group from a board something like the unofficial disney troublemakers. It is a sad group of folks who take pride in hurting others, swearing, and playing moral police. They often attack people on the Dis just to start trouble up. Even just planting little seeds to see if it works.

I have had a full blown attack on me which in hindsight was good because it taught me about internet security and how to be more informed about what I put out to the public. They took apart each one of my posts and it was horrible. They called our home, made threats and generally made our lives hard for a few days.

It is truly a sad group and say that they even came here to "attack" and the post was removed and they were banned. They are bitter folks without real lives and nothing better to do than create problems. Sorry, I have a real life with things to do other than create hate and discontent. I sway in between hate and pity for them.

I had to laugh that dblthefun was a person from the UN who causes many attacks but is in a photoshare group!

I am happy to have a safe place to post here on SR! I like that the mod's shut down rude remarks and that UN gets banned. I lurk the DIS but just feel better to among those here on SR.

wilsonfamily4
11-14-2007, 03:55 PM
gosh, that is really horrible. I cannot imagine that. I am so sorry you got sucked into their type of fun. What about Disney could you hate. I mean I unerstand some people don't enjoy it but to hate it and take time to relay this hate to others seems really weird.

Ok, there is a group from a board something like the unofficial disney troublemakers. It is a sad group of folks who take pride in hurting others, swearing, and playing moral police. They often attack people on the Dis just to start trouble up. Even just planting little seeds to see if it works.

I have had a full blown attack on me which in hindsight was good because it taught me about internet security and how to be more informed about what I put out to the public. They took apart each one of my posts and it was horrible. They called our home, made threats and generally made our lives hard for a few days.

It is truly a sad group and say that they even came here to "attack" and the post was removed and they were banned. They are bitter folks without real lives and nothing better to do than create problems. Sorry, I have a real life with things to do other than create hate and discontent. I sway in between hate and pity for them.

I had to laugh that dblthefun was a person from the UN who causes many attacks but is in a photoshare group!

I am happy to have a safe place to post here on SR! I like that the mod's shut down rude remarks and that UN gets banned. I lurk the DIS but just feel better to among those here on SR.