PDA

View Full Version : Don't ask what is in the water

SunshineGirl
11-16-2007, 11:53 AM
SG just sent me this link and all I can say is EWWWW!!!

Disneyland workers were recently forced to close the "Pirates of the Caribbean" attraction after a ride security camera caught a woman apparently dumping human remains, in what may be a growing trend.....

http://www.local6.com/news/14611438/detail.html

Blessing and Miracle
11-16-2007, 11:56 AM

Disneyland workers were recently forced to close the "Pirates of the Caribbean" attraction after a ride security camera caught a woman apparently dumping human remains, in what may be a growing trend.....

This was on our local news last night! I couldn't beleive it! That's just terrible.

ItsmeSunnyV
11-16-2007, 11:56 AM
It's going on over here at DL alot too, it's been all over the news...Did ya see Michael?:sick:

disney_girl
11-16-2007, 12:16 PM
I saw that... ewwww! Makes you wonder how often something like that is done though...

coastalgirl
11-16-2007, 12:18 PM
YUCK!!!! That is just really crazy. :sick: Can you imagine being at that reading of the will and their final wish is to have their ashes dumped at Disney???

linanglab
11-16-2007, 12:21 PM
DH always says he wants his ashes dumped over the ND stadium, and I always say just dump me somewhere on WDW property. The difference??? WE are just joking.

I agree with everyone else.....EWWWWWW.

To think there might be human remains on those rides....gross AND creepy.

SunshineGirl
11-16-2007, 12:38 PM
YUCK!!!! That is just really crazy. :sick: Can you imagine being at that reading of the will and their final wish is to have their ashes dumped at Disney???

I guess if you were picking your favorite attraction, my ashes would have to be dumped backstage of Philharmagic. LOL!!!!! Or maybe sprinkled around Cindy's Castle. :rotfl:

jnorth1007
11-16-2007, 12:41 PM
I think I would like my ashes sprinkled at Epcot in World Showcase. Then I can be eternally on a holiday around the world. :rotfl: Just make sure that some of them hit the booth that sells GGLCS's so I can be sure to have a little beverage while Im there.

cglaura
11-16-2007, 12:44 PM
I always joke that w/ Ra. I say to just toss me out on my favorite ride at WDW.

"Right! I'm going to dump you off Aeorsmith's RR, and it will come flying back in my face. I love you mom, but not that much!"

:rotfl:

DisneyMa
11-16-2007, 12:47 PM
I have heard of this before. Weird, but not unheard of?! I LOVE Disneyland, but I don't think I want to be in the water at Pirates! :rotfl:

coastalgirl
11-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Sprinkle me around while on the TTA that way I am all over the place!! :rotfl:

Hedy
11-16-2007, 01:11 PM
It's wrong I think this is cool, right?

Blessing and Miracle
11-16-2007, 01:18 PM
It's wrong I think this is cool, right?

Yes!:rotfl: For sure, I would think it's unsanitary, yuck!

m 'n c
11-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Ok for some reason it took me halfway through the article to understand that she was dumping ashes not poop into the ride. I have to admit I was more distguisted by the thought of poop in the ride than dust.

ItsmeSunnyV
11-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Ok for some reason it took me halfway through the article to understand that she was dumping ashes not poop into the ride. I have to admit I was more distguisted by the thought of poop in the ride than dust.

:rotfl: EWWWWW, that'd be way worse!! But the ashes are gross too...:sick:

LuvMyBoys
11-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Ok, I must be an odd duck b/c the thought of a small sprinkling of ashes in the water doesn't creep me out either. :confused:

People have their ashes sprinkled all over the place.......it's just a tiny bit and I don't think it hurts anything....

I love how the media made it into something sensational though by choosing to say that she was "dumping human remains".......here I'm picturing a lady dumping arms and legs into the ride and it turns out she was just sprinkling in some cremated ashes! :rotfl: Gotta love the media!!

Hedy
11-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Ok, I must be an odd duck b/c the thought of a small sprinkling of ashes in the water doesn't creep me out either. :confused:

People have their ashes sprinkled all over the place.......it's just a tiny bit and I don't think it hurts anything....

I love how the media made it into something sensational though by choosing to say that she was "dumping human remains".......here I'm picturing a lady dumping arms and legs into the ride and it turns out she was just sprinkling in some cremated ashes! :rotfl: Gotta love the media!!

People's ashes are scattered at sea all the time, I'm sure I'm swum in ashes before.

jnorth1007
11-16-2007, 02:26 PM
I guess I figure that I neither drink, bathe or swim in the water from the rides so I don't care about a little scattering here and there. HOWEVER, if everyone did it we would be sludgeing through remains when we rode IASW lol.

bbangel
11-16-2007, 02:26 PM

That's what I thought they meant too! I was wondering how she got body parts past the oh so wonderful bag check! :rotfl:

Isn't scattering ashes considered improper disposal of human remains though?

linanglab
11-16-2007, 02:29 PM
I do think that it is a little gross. But before I started REALLY reading it, I was thinking someone was dumping actual bits and pieces of someone into the water. Now that would be REALLY gross.

Maybe they ought to have a drop off point for the dead. A sign could read

"Please dispose of your body HERE" LOL

Okay....maybe that is a bit morbid, but people DO want their ashes spread over Disney, so a drop off point would be better than a someone sneaking ashes on a ride or show somewhere.

missangie
11-16-2007, 02:32 PM

I'm with you. I was so creeped out from the headline that someone was caught tossing "human remains" which is mind was arms, legs, ears, noses...AND that this sort of thing was happening more frequently--WHAT! :confused:

I was simply relieved to hear that it was a sprinkling of ashes in fulfillment of a last wish. Would I be extra careful to ensure that I didn't get the water on me and certainly not in my mouth, yes. But I wouldn't necessarily be upset about the sprinkling of ashes.

LuvMyBoys
11-16-2007, 02:38 PM
That's what I thought they meant too! I was wondering how she got body parts past the oh so wonderful bag check! :rotfl:

Isn't scattering ashes considered improper disposal of human remains though?

Every state usually has its own laws surrounding disposal of ashes. I doubt any state allows you to just scatter them where you will but........I think we all know that people generally don't obey those laws and just secretly scatter ashes wherever the deceased person requested. ;)

I know my DH and I have both talked about where we want our ashes scattered. I don't want to be sitting around on a coffee table somewhere, I would rather be returned to the earth. :)

Not trying to be morbid, I work in estate planning though so we talk about death a lot!!

LuvMyBoys
11-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Ok, this article makes things clearer. :)

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disney14nov14,0,5347524.story?coll=la-home-center

I figured there is no health risk actually involved with a small amount of ashes and that seems to be the case.

The thing with the 7 year old boy really got to me :( But the fireworks thing was :rotfl: talk about going out with a bang!!

Magical JenK
11-16-2007, 02:45 PM
DH & I both said we'd want our ashes sprinkled around WDW too. However, I started to think about it & I'm like, "Steve, we wouldn't be there long, they clean ALL the time. So we'd probably be sprinkled around, hit someone in the face, get in their hair & then land at the bottom of the ride. That night we'd then get sucked into the vacuum system & then sent to lord knows where. I think I'll pass."

Sometimes I overthink things...don't even get me started on if I won the lottery!! I mean, I'd HAVE to change where I get my hair done...he'd be expecting a HUGE tip!!

However, IF I were gauranteed a safe place at WDW, I'd for sure want to be sprinkled there! Man, what if they open a cemetary so people CAN get buried there?? Maybe that's the new park they're coming up with!! :rotfl:

SunshineGirl
11-16-2007, 02:55 PM
When I first read it, I thought the exact same thing about the "human remains." LOL! I was thinking--Did she kill her husband and then cut him up and figure she could hide the body there??

Can you imagine the poor person who has to clean up the Haunted Mansion when they discover a pile of "dust" somewhere? Gives a whole new meaning to "Cleanup in Aisle 7."

bbangel
11-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Sometimes I overthink things...don't even get me started on if I won the lottery!! I mean, I'd HAVE to change where I get my hair done...he'd be expecting a HUGE tip!!

Kind of off topic, but here you can hire a lawyer to act as your proxy for the lottery transaction. For that transaction you are a John or Jane Doe (or Smith or whatever) and the lawyer collects the money on your behalf. That way you aren't identified but the lotter still gets their publicity. Not sure what the lottery laws are like there.

As for what I want done when I'm gone, just plant me beneath a tree or flower garden somewhere. I like the idea of my body being used to nurture other life. And hey, there are a lot of gardens at WDW/DL!

eaglesdare
11-16-2007, 03:43 PM
i too thought at first it was body parts, arms, legs, torso, head.

but once i read ashes, i was like, oh ok. no biggy to me. it doesn't gross me out at all. a little dust watered down, oh well.

Anna
11-16-2007, 04:54 PM

That is just GROSS!!!! I always tell my kids not to put their hands in the water because it is nasty. Didn't know just how correct I was on that! :(

bs4free
11-16-2007, 10:00 PM
I do think that it is a little gross. But before I started REALLY reading it, I was thinking someone was dumping actual bits and pieces of someone into the water. Now that would be REALLY gross.

Maybe they ought to have a drop off point for the dead. A sign could read

"Please dispose of your body HERE" LOL

Okay....maybe that is a bit morbid, but people DO want their ashes spread over Disney, so a drop off point would be better than a someone sneaking ashes on a ride or show somewhere.
I was thinking the same think! What a way to take care of a body! but it was just ash. so that is not as bad as i had thought!

I would want to be over the entire 40 miles of disney world... I wonder how much ash one would need....

m4travels
11-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Okay, it took me until the end of the day to find this thread (I was caught up in the Smart Bargain shoe buying spree!) but I thought I'd chime in.

It has been going on at DL for quite some time. Over in the area of the wishing well by the castle is a very quiet spot that some folks think is the perfect place to put Aunt Betty to rest. CMs do spot it happening every now and then but by the time they're able to react the dust has settled and the folks move on. There are some lovely flowers over there..........

I do have my own personal story about a visit to Valley Forge with about 20 other crazy dog people who said goodbye to a long-time breeder friend of ours complete with the busting open of the urn, more of a Morton Salt girl type of sprinkling (complete with umbrellas because it was raining) and a drug bust happening at the same time about 100 yards away. That's probably not for this board, however.

PSL1013
11-16-2007, 10:12 PM
I'm in the minority here I guess because I've made my wishes known that I want to be scattered among the roses in Epcot's Rose Path gardens! I don't know exactly how it will be done but they know I will come back and haunt them if my wishes are not fulfilled! :angel: :rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:

3dog2kidmom
11-18-2007, 11:37 AM
I guess if you were picking your favorite attraction, my ashes would have to be dumped backstage of Philharmagic. LOL!!!!! Or maybe sprinkled around Cindy's Castle. :rotfl:

I want to be sprinkled around Castaway Cay!! :rotfl:

nolacindy
11-18-2007, 01:16 PM
OK up front I have a twisted way of looking at things.
I'm thinking that Disney is missing out on a great money making opportunity.
I know this is weird but, i've been researching different things you can do with your remains, there is a company called Eternal reefs that puts your ashes in a man made piece of reef and puts it in the ocean, you can do your whole family or just one person. I'm thinking Disney could do something on this order. Maybe one off of Castaway Cay, this would be a much more dignified than dumping them on a ride.

tommygirl79
11-19-2007, 07:14 AM
DH told me about this the other day when it came out... While I have no desire to be sprinkled anywhere (leave me in one piece please!), i can see how some people would love to be sprinkled in WDW or Disneyland....

There used to be (might still be) a HUGE thread on the community board of the DIS about this very thing - even hints on where to do it even though it's against Disney policy...I read through it and some of it was kinda funny... That's horrible for me to say, I suppose.