PDA

View Full Version : Columbia House DVD problem???

jctimon
05-27-2007, 05:20 PM
I don't know how, but somehow I was mysteriously signed up for Columbia House DVDs today. Has anyone ever had this happen? If so, what can you do to get out of their system? It seems almost impossible from what i have been trying today. I would appreciate any helpful suggestions on this one!

SunshineGirl
05-27-2007, 05:52 PM
That's not good. Did you get the email and everything from them, or did it just show up on your credit card?

jctimon
05-27-2007, 11:26 PM
No charge on my credit card yet only the email about my membership, but it does say they'll be billing & sending out DVDs. I reported it to the BBB of Indiana where they are located and emailed. Hopefully that works. On a happy note I got my Disney Gift card yesterday!! :cooldance:

jctimon
05-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Yes! I received the exact same thing. Here is what I did and happily I had a "as a courtesy, your membership has been cancelled" email this morning. I wrote them an email through the website customer service. Title it anything except Cancel Membership, because it won't let you send that. Then I told them I did not set up the account (which they claimed today I did~but I know I didn't). I also reported this type of action to the Better Business Bureau of Indiana. They should not be allowed to set up account without a true signature email or something. Hopefully you can get in touch with them and get cancelled out too!

SunshineGirl
05-28-2007, 10:28 AM
This is disturbing. Do they have the correct mailing information to match up with your email address?

jctimon
05-28-2007, 11:18 AM
They did have the correct email and name and address. So they are ready to send out DVDs and charge me. Luckily I emailed immediately and told them I was reporting them. They still claimed that I filled out all the sign up for them which I never did. I do know they are often on the surveys as a yes or no option, but I never choose Yes as an option. If I did, that was an accident and by no way acknowledging that I joined their paying club. Luckily it is all resolved for now. I am sure I will receive DVDs, but they also said they'd send return prepaid slips to me. Hope everyone else can get it cancelled as well!

llgray16
05-29-2007, 09:49 AM
You have to be careful with some things like this. Many of the "free" surveys have Columbia House listed as an advertiser. They will automatically fill in your info and submit it to the company. Make sure that any time you see a form automatically filled in, you must delete your info from that form if it is something that you don't want. Also, on the ones that say "see more offers in this category", make sure to click that button and click "no" for all the offers that are hidden as well.

January
05-30-2007, 05:57 PM
I got an email from BMG saying they are sending the CD I requested.:confused: I never signed up for this and I never asked them to send me a Tom Petty CD. I sent an email back saying that I want my account cancelled. I am really frustrated with them.

llgray-that is good advice. I thought I was being really cautious - I just hope that they cancel my account.:(

vtgirlie
05-30-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi there! This might be a really naive suggestion, but I notice BMG and CH DVD appearing on a lot of the extended survey offers. Is it possible that you checked through on one of those and got signed up that way?

I'm having a similar-but-different problem. Signed up for DVD Club, received email and DVDs within like 4 days, and haven't gotten credit for it yet.

January
05-30-2007, 07:23 PM
vtgirlie-it could have been an extended survey that I checked. I usually say no to all of the offers that come with them.

nicholfamily5
05-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Same thing happened to me! I just checked my email and received one from "CH DVD club"
I know for a FACT I did not sign up for this club! It had my email address, my correct mailing info, but the email sent to me just had a "temporary" user id and password. There was no cc info listed under my account, and I have a feeling that this could be a PHISHING scam!!! Be AWARE!!!!

Tricia, you may want to put up a notice somehow to be aware of this email, and to warn people not to enter their cc info from this email. I've got a baaaad feeling about this situation! If there is any info I can give you to help figure out where it's coming from, I gladly will.

~Kristen

SunshineGirl
05-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Oh, yes. Can you forward me that email and I will try to pull some stuff out to make a screenshot or copy or something to put up a sticky? You can XXX out all of your personal info.

nicholfamily5
05-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Oh, yes. Can you forward me that email and I will try to pull some stuff out to make a screenshot or copy or something to put up a sticky? You can XXX out all of your personal info.

I sent a message to webmaster to get the appropriate email address to forward it.

jctimon
05-31-2007, 02:05 PM
I thought the problem was over for me, but it isn't going to be that simple. I just received an email stating my first DVD shipment (which I never requested!) is being mailed out. Then when I tried to get on the site to check on the status of my "cancelled membership" I can't log in. Which hopefully means they cancelled it, but I will still have an unwanted DVD to ship back. I will send you any of the correspondence from them if you want it, just let me know where to send it!
Jodi

jnorth1007
05-31-2007, 02:12 PM
Your best bet is to cut and paste the emails into a trouble ticket and label Columbia House Problem. That way she can make sure they all get sent to the same place and she can respond to them and you can check her responses.

nicholfamily5
06-01-2007, 09:55 AM
I received the following email today in response to my request to cancel the account.

Thank you for your e-mail message. Account #50517855065 We received your inquiry regarding the membership in Columbia House DVD Club that was established in your name. You have advised us that you did not establish this account. We have reviewed the account carefully and note that we received a request in your name to enroll you in Columbia House DVD Club. As a courtesy we are canceling your membership and waiving any amounts due. Please disregard any further promotions, correspondence, billings, etc. you may receive from us regarding this matter. You may return the enrollment shipment by noting "Refused, Return to Sender" on the package. As you requested, we have removed your email address from our mailing list. Please allow ten (10) business days for your unsubscribe request to be completed. As you requested, we have removed your name and address from our mailing list. If you receive any additional materials from us, please return the entire mailing along with your request. If we may be of further service, please contact us at http://www.columbiahouse.com. Sincerely, Deacon StewartCustomer Service "How are we doing? Please take a moment to fill out a quick survey. The survey is located at the following URL: http://www.endusersurvey.com/default.asp?project_code=chpilot&code=5457 Thanks!"

Original Message Follows:------------------------- [Name] Contact[Time] 02007.May.31 01:14 PM[Subject] Cancel Membership[Message] I did not sign up for this club! I have no records of signing up for this club and I don't wish to be a part of this club. Please remove my information from the site and do not bill me for items I do not wish to receive.thank you

krg1968
06-01-2007, 11:50 AM
I just checked my gmail account I use for offers and I have the Welcome email, too!
Columbia needs to let us know how we signed up so we can avoid it in the future.

sselig2000
06-03-2007, 09:33 AM
I just received the Columbia House email as well. Sent them an email telling them that I hadn't signed up, and to cancel this account. Is there anyway to find out where they got all of our names from. I love SR, but may have to quit if this sort of thing starts happening. I don't want to go:(

jctimon
06-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Finally I did receive the return slips for the prepaid return of the unwanted DVDs. I just hope they don't continue to show up. Hope everyone else gets this resolved too!!!

Arky
06-12-2007, 02:11 AM
I just got the email from Columbia House tonight. I'll be going through this process too - UGH!

jnorth1007
06-12-2007, 08:53 AM
The best way to handle this situation is to email their customer service so you have proof you tried to cancel. Once you get the return response to ignore any further communications do just that, ignore them. They apparently have no way to stop the process once it is in motion. If you happen to get something in the mail from them mark it REFUSED and cross out your address and drop it in the mail. That should take care of the situation.

Arky
06-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks for that advice! That is what I will do!

tweety129s
06-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Another auto sign up here! Odd thing is that they only had my first initial and last name. Not full name. I've emailed and am doing return to sender. What I find very odd is that we're only getting one dvd. The website says when you sign up you get 5 dvd's for $.49, why are we getting one dvd and are they all the same?

Keaner
06-12-2007, 12:14 PM
I just received a DVD in the mail today. I never got the email and I never signed up. I called the 1-800# and they are sending me a return label and will cancel when they recieve it back. She was very nice on the phone and apologized.
Tracy

dreamtrip
06-12-2007, 01:16 PM
I got an email from them and a DVD in the mail yesterday. I called the 800# to cancel. They are sending a return label. I asked the lady I spoke with how I was signed up and she couldn't tell me. She is having a "supervisor" call me--but I doubt I get any answer. Did anyone fiqure out for sure how this happened to all of us?

coastalgirl
06-12-2007, 05:06 PM
I just got the DVD in the mail and I also don't recall seeing an e-mail from them!! I also got a bill from them so they don't have any of my CC info!! Thank goodness! I will just ship it back to them I guess and be more careful checking my spam folder! Good luck to every one with this!!

Nite0wl71
06-12-2007, 05:46 PM
I just got home and guess what--a DVD was waiting for me. What is the 800 number? I will check my e-mails later to see if they sent me one.

dreamtrip
06-12-2007, 05:59 PM
I called 800-262-2001. Good luck.

lilianddomsmom
06-13-2007, 08:44 PM
I just received a DVD in the mail today. I never got the email and I never signed up. I called the 1-800# and they are sending me a return label and will cancel when they recieve it back. She was very nice on the phone and apologized.
Tracy

i also never got an email and all of a sudden today i got the 40 year old virgin in the mail. the funny thing is that i already have a membership with them how can i have 2? i thought that it was onlyone per house hold. i guess i'll have to call them

TXMouseChaser
06-14-2007, 10:16 AM
I am another victim. Got home yesterday and had two packages from Columbia House. I called and told them I hadn't signed up for this and I asked how it could happen- got no answer. She said they were "sent" my information and that she was "sent" my enrollment. I told her I never signed up and I would never pick Miami Vice as my movie if I did! :computer:

dreamtrip
06-14-2007, 10:49 AM
The "supervisor" actually did call me yesterday. But all I got was the same line--we don't know where we received your info from, but your account has been cancelled. What really bugs me is that they don't even care that people are being signed up without consent--which is fraud. Oh well, I could tell I wasn't going to get anywhere so I decided not to waste my breath. Just said thanks.

lilianddomsmom
06-14-2007, 10:55 AM
i just called about it and they lady i spoke to was very nice about it and said she was very sorry and would mail me a return label and canceled my account

TXMouseChaser
06-14-2007, 11:55 AM
With the reaction of the lady I talked to, it must happen a lot. She was very easy going about it and when I said " I didn't sign up for this and want it cancelled" she just said " Ok. I will cancel it" It does concern me that it has happened to so many of us.

SunshineGirl
06-14-2007, 12:00 PM
I told her I never signed up and I would never pick Miami Vice as my movie if I did! :computer:

It's not funny, but this made me laugh. Aren't the people committing the fraud even smart enough to pick movies that people might actually order??

TIAMOMMA
06-14-2007, 12:19 PM
It was probably the selection of the month. When I was blessed with the BMG ordeal they sent the selection of the month since I wasn't kind enough to pick out my personal selections from the club I didn't join!!

jnorth1007
06-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Well it is funny in the way that they sent me the absolute worst movie they could send me American Pie 3. Dh was laughing histerically when it came because he knows that there are probably no movies in the world I hate more. DH was cracking up!!

TXMouseChaser
06-14-2007, 12:29 PM
It's not funny, but this made me laugh. Aren't the people committing the fraud even smart enough to pick movies that people might actually order??

Oh it is funny! I laughed too and thought- "well heck- they could have at least sent me a movie I would watch!" I think this might be their way of getting rid of all their crappy movies. We are now official members of the Crappy Movie of the Month Club!

losassok
06-14-2007, 02:09 PM
I don't even know what I got as I just wrote "Refused-return to sender" on it and popped it back in the mailbox.

January
06-14-2007, 02:25 PM
I don't even know what I got as I just wrote "Refused-return to sender" on it and popped it back in the mailbox.

That is exactly what I did. I am also hoping that they cancelled my account. They still have not responded to my email from last friday. I will just keep sending them back until it is cancelled. I wish I knew how this happened.:confused:

bartleby1
06-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Well, despite clicking the "if you received this email in error, click here" cancellation link in the application confirmation email they sent me, I received a spongebob movie in the mail today! Why bother having the link??? You know, I thought Columbia House was a fairly reputable company before this incident, but it doesn't appear that they are doing ANYTHING to stop the fraud that has occurred here. I belonged to their music club years ago and never had a problem, however, after watching this whole scenario unfold, I can honestly say that I would never again join them. I am not at all impressed with how this is being handled.

I just sent them an email and I'm curious as to what their response will be. Probably the same canned email response that I have seen a few victims post.

lrsellars
06-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Not to change the thread but Bartleby1, how are you scoring so many points on Fruit Smash? I've tried to catch you but there is no way!!! You're fantastic at that game!!

bartleby1
06-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Not to change the thread but Bartleby1, how are you scoring so many points on Fruit Smash? I've tried to catch you but there is no way!!! You're fantastic at that game!!

LOL!:rotfl: No tricks up my sleeve, I'm just a really fast clicker, lol!

MamaO
06-15-2007, 09:07 PM
OK, my DVD arrived today - the one I never ordered or signed up for! At least I got a decent movie - Cinderella Man. The sad thing is that I had thought about joining this club - now, if I did, I would not even be able to receive credit for it!

There was no identifying information on the outside of my box. The return address was 'Service Center' in Greenville, SC. The invoice that showed through the address window was "Customer Service Center' in Indianapolis. Nowhere did the box identify Columbia House. I had not followed this thread so didn't know what was happening, and I opened it - so I will be calling the 800 # tonight.

jl8595
06-16-2007, 10:36 AM

LOL!! My thoughts exactly!! I'm totally addicted to that darn game, but I'm terrible at it! I run out of time before I crack 20-30K points!! Way to go Bartleby1!!!!