PDA

View Full Version : Flat screen Plasma TV

linanglab
11-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Okay, does anyone have one of these? My DH just purchased this past weekend a 42" plasma. He is as thrilled as a dog with a meaty bone. He CANNOT wait until it arrives on Dec. 12.

Question. We know where we are going to put it. But we need to hire someone to "fix" our wall so we can hang it there. What exactly do we need to do for that? The Sears people are going to deliver it and set it up and hook it up. (It was worth the $65 fee for that!)

Any help would be appreciated. I am in the process of trying to get someone here to do the work, but not sure what to tell them to do. I have a place that is an indentation in the wall, but it is not quite large enough (about 3 inches to small), so he will need to cut into the wall and even it out I suppose.

Husband is thrilled, however, I have to do all of the work. It will go where my Christmas tree is, so I will have to move it ever so carefully - along with the couches, etc. Oh joy.....

jakeandsophiesmom
11-27-2007, 09:10 AM
We bought a 42" LG plasma last year after Christmas when our "new" four year old tv died on us. DH was like a pig in slop! He had a perma-grin for weeks!:rotfl:

As far as your questions, are you not sure about how to mount it or how to fix the wall space? If it is mounting, they sell mounting brackets just for flat screens. And the wall space problem, I would just tell them that you bought a tv and the "nook" where you plan on putting it needs to be widened. I'm sure they'll know what to do.

Just like a man to leave all the work for us!! And be careful moving that tree girl!! Last year we had our live tree fall three times, broke two stands and I threatened to have a bonfire with it! Needless to say I took things into my own hands and bought a fake one after Christmas.

Hope you get to enjoy the TV also!!:)

linanglab
11-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the info. Yeah....he is SOOO excited about it. But I am stressed about making sure the wall is ready for the TV. We were only going to get a small TV for the boys to play video games (we were planning on getting a Wii - which I got yesterday! WOOHOO!). Then DH had the grand idea that they should have our TV in the family room - a whole 3 years old - and WE should get a larger TV (yeah right, "WE"? more like him! :rotfl: )

So....here we are. Maybe I will have DH call Sears tonight and discuss this with them. He should be doing some work involved with this, right? I already have a call into a friend who does construction. Just waiting for his return call.

Thanks again!

Riyaa
11-27-2007, 12:48 PM
When we got our LCD flat screen, we bought our own mounting kit and my dad helped us install it. We had to find the studs in the wall and drill into them and place rather large bolts. Other than that, there wasn't any preparation to the wall we had to do.

linanglab
11-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Talked to DH. He has changed his mind, and does not want the sunken in look. So.....He is going to have someone tear down the WHOLE wall and put drywall up. Right now we have panelling (old house). Now, not only do I have furniture to rearrange, I also have painting to do. I did not paint it, and do not have the paint cans. Hopefully I can find the right color to match the rest of the room. Luckily it is a small wall - a fireplace is 1/2 of the wall, so I won't have to worry about that. This TV thing is becoming more expensive and more work than I bargained for! Good thing we got a pretty good deal on it the TV....

Riyaa
11-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Oh my! That is a lot of work! I hate painting. Good luck with getting it all done!

jl8595
11-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Too funny! All that for a TV, ehh??!! I bet you'll be so happy with your new non-paneled wall when it's done though, so it'll all be worth it! :) Can't help you with the TV mouting stuff because we didn't mount ours on the wall (not for a lack of DH's trying, I might add!!), but I can offer some advice on finding a color match for the paint. Pry a paint sample/chip off your existing painted wall and take it to Home Depot or Lowes. They have computers that do an amazing job with color matching. When we moved into our house, we had beautifully painted walls...but only some of the remaining paint cans. I needed to touch up my hallway, but didn't want to change the color, so I flaked off a paint chip way down low near the baseboard molding and brought it to Home Depot for color matching. It was PERFECT!!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new TV!!! :)

linanglab
11-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Lori - thanks for the painting tip. I thought about just taking some of the panelling with me....

I will be glad to get rid of the panelling, except the other 3 walls are still....yep....panel....lovely....

m 'n c
11-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Lori - thanks for the painting tip. I thought about just taking some of the panelling with me....

I will be glad to get rid of the panelling, except the other 3 walls are still....yep....panel....lovely....

Well at this point if you are knocking down one wall why not redo the other 3? It could be your treat out of this deal. :angel:

I feel you on the panel. My parents house has it and its just so ugly.

chipndale
11-28-2007, 02:18 AM

I would try and get rid of the panelling on the other walls too. Maybe DH will go for the idea and you will get something out of the new TV. It must be the weekend - DH bought a 50" plasma tv from Best Buy this week too. He looked at it on black Friday but I refused to stand in the line just to order it. We came home and looked online and it was more money online than in the store. So we went up Monday night and it was $300 cheaper than on Friday and we got zero percent financing until Jan 2011!!! DH can't wait until December 14 - he is counting down! I am sure he will have that plasma stare! :rotfl:

linanglab
11-28-2007, 07:02 AM
We might eventually take all the panelling down in that room, but not right away. TOO much work for ME right now!

We always go away for Christmas for about a week. My DH said..."but I will have to leave my TV..." He too, will have the plasma stare.....I will probably get to be on SR alot more I guess. He sure won't be paying attention to me!:rotfl:

disney_girl
11-28-2007, 07:15 AM
I can sympathize with men and their Plasma TV's! We got a 50" Plasma a few months ago and DH is in plasma heaven! I do have to agree it looks sooo good! Especially if you like sports- you can tell a big difference!! We have a cutout in the wall for the TV also- it is about 6 inches wider than the TV though. Right now the TV is on our old stand, but we are wanting to get a wall mount that has a telescoping arm so that it can extend out and not be sunken back on the wall. Haven't priced those yet though!

So, has he mentioned getting a new HD DVD player or Blu Ray DVD player? That was the next on DH's list. I was able to get one of the $98 HD DVD players at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago. Now he "needs" a PS3 for the Blu Ray aspect. Oh and of course our receiver is ancient and I'm sure there is something else we need as well! :rotfl:

Good luck on the painting aspect!

linanglab
11-28-2007, 07:28 AM
I am a little dumb on the HD thing. I thought once you got it, you just automatically had HD picture. I guess you have to pay extra through either cable or satelite. Ugghhh....This has been and expensive TV! And I did not know about the HD DVD player. Again...Uggghhh....I already told him he was not allowed to buy me anything for Christmas because this has been ALOT of money. He did not like that, since this is not MY present. But....I am a bit on the frugal side, and spending this money stresses me! (Plus, I am hoping to go to WDW in the summer with my parents, so the $$$ evens out - but still money is flying everywhere!)

linanglab
11-29-2007, 06:02 AM
Another plasma question.

We are mounting ours on the wall. Where do you all put your DVD player and Cable or Satelite box ( we have Dishnet)? We are thinking about putting in a shelf underneath the TV, but am unsure if that will look right.

disney_girl
11-29-2007, 06:10 AM
Yeah, that adds another element to the whole thing! We have so many components (2 DVR's, DVD player, Receiver, speakers, etc) that we will have to have some kind of entertainment center under the TV. It's always something, huh? I think my biggest conern is going to be the wiring- I HATE looking at a jumbled mess of wires!!

I googled wall mounted plasma tv's and found some images you could look through just to get a general idea of what it might look like. We could never get away with just a shelf, but if you only have a couple of components, you might be able to get away with it!

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us&q=wall+mounted+plasma+tv+

linanglab
11-29-2007, 06:24 AM
Yeah, that adds another element to the whole thing! We have so many components (2 DVR's, DVD player, Receiver, speakers, etc) that we will have to have some kind of entertainment center under the TV. It's always something, huh? I think my biggest conern is going to be the wiring- I HATE looking at a jumbled mess of wires!!

I googled wall mounted plasma tv's and found some images you could look through just to get a general idea of what it might look like. We could never get away with just a shelf, but if you only have a couple of components, you might be able to get away with it!

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us&q=wall+mounted+plasma+tv+

Thanks for the info. Luckily, the we have a closet behind the wall of where our TV will be and we are cutting a hole through our TV wall to go to the closet so everything will be plugged in there - no cords to look at or anything. I will go through the link that you gave me and look. I really just wanted a TV without the shelving, but I totally forgot about the DVD and Dish box. So it will either have to be a shelf or 2 built into the wall or a piece of furniture sitting under it.....Grrrr....

Did my DH really NEED this TV???? Apparently....he has been like a kid waiting for Christmas....

disney_girl
11-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Oohhh... I'm jealous of the closet behind- would love to have that to hide everything!! I think you could work with some type of shelf. Maybe when you are out again, you can check out and electronics store and see if they have any displays and what they have to offer.

Yes, I've found that with DH and electronics, it's never a simple purchase of one thing! It seems to snowball into much more!