PDA

View Full Version : Downgrading to a Value-will I be disappointed?

Hedy
12-05-2007, 02:47 PM
I've only stayed at WDW mods-POR/DL 4 times, and my first stay at POFQ this week. :cooldance: :cooldance: My brother and SIL, and other brother and SIL, are taking my nephews next August, and I think I may make a cameo appearance. There's a bounceback going on right now, so I'm trying to pick out where i want to stay. As WDW won't be my main trip next year, I'm thinking about staying at POP-it seems to be the most popular mod, plus they're most likely staying at AKV, so it'd be closish. Will I really feel like I'm downgrading my staying at POP?

m 'n c
12-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Depends - do you hang out at the resort or just sleep? Do you like huge decorations or no? I love staying at the values. I love the theming and the tacky decorations all over the place. I couldn't imagine staying somewhere more resortish while I'm at disney.

LuvMyBoys
12-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Depends - do you hang out at the resort or just sleep? Do you like huge decorations or no? I love staying at the values. I love the theming and the tacky decorations all over the place. I couldn't imagine staying somewhere more resortish while I'm at disney.

I agree, I love feeling like I'm at Disney 24/7. I like the availability of the food courts for the kids, the large pools with life vests, the larger than life icons. To me it's very fun and family oriented and it's something I can't get outside of Disney. :)

Hedy
12-05-2007, 03:31 PM
I agree, I love feeling like I'm at Disney 24/7. I like the availability of the food courts for the kids, the large pools with life vests, the larger than life icons. To me it's very fun and family oriented and it's something I can't get outside of Disney. :)

That's what I think-I know what I'm getting into, plus I'll be busy with the nephews. :)

LuvMyBoys
12-05-2007, 03:33 PM
That's what I think-I know what I'm getting into, plus I'll be busy with the nephews. :)

I will be interested to hear which ones the nephews prefer. My boys LOVE all stars sports and movies much more than any of the nice hotels we have stayed at. They just love the theming and the laid back feel. :)

Hedy
12-05-2007, 03:49 PM
I will be interested to hear which ones the nephews prefer. My boys LOVE all stars sports and movies much more than any of the nice hotels we have stayed at. They just love the theming and the laid back feel. :)

Oh, they;ll be at AKV or BCV with their parents and aunt and uncle. It'll just be Auntie Heather at Pop.

LuvMyBoys
12-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Oh, they;ll be at AKV or BCV with their parents and aunt and uncle. It'll just be Auntie Heather at Pop.

Oh, I thought that they would be coming over to visit with you :) That sounds like a lot of fun, getting to see the nephews at WDW but not necessarily staying with them at WDW :angel:

You'll have to give us a report when you get back!!

Kycha
12-05-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially at Pop. I love that resort. But, as others have said, you should know what to expect. Personally, DH and I don't use a lot of resort amenities, so it would be a waste of money for us to go to a mod or deluxe resort. We usually use the pool, which is great at POP. And they have the best food court. It is huge and they have a great selection of food.

On the other hand, DH and I spend a lot of time at Downtown Disney. And you can't beat the boat at POR and POFQ that takes right to DTD. Great access and a nice relaxing ride(much better than a bus).

gpp2001
12-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Also - be prepared if you are going to be taking the buses - the lines can get really long first thing in the morning. Though the lines at POR last month were pretty bad at times too.

I have stayed at Pop - definitely not my favorite but for an extra trip to WDW, I'd stay there.

Have fun.

dreamer13079
12-06-2007, 12:07 PM
I don't think you'd be downgrading your stay at all. Our last trip we stayed at SSR for the first 3 nights and then All Star Sports for the last night and loved both of them. It was two totally different Disney experiences but both were really cool. I think your nephews will love being able to come visit and experience a totally different place with lots of theming.

chipndale
12-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Also - be prepared if you are going to be taking the buses - the lines can get really long first thing in the morning. Though the lines at POR last month were pretty bad at times too.

I have stayed at Pop - definitely not my favorite but for an extra trip to WDW, I'd stay there.

Have fun.

I totally agree. The bus lines can be really long in the morning and just as long in the evening. But, for an extra trip to Disney, I could manage a week there. As others have said, just realize what you are getting in to. When we have stayed at POP, I have found the food court much more congested than other food courts and if we stayed again I would plan to eat in the room or in the parks more. Have a great trip.

Hedy
12-17-2007, 04:14 PM
You guys convinced me-I figure I'll be off touring the parks/spending time with the boys rather than in my room, plus the price with bounceback was rocking. :cooldance: :cooldance:

Now, off to earn credits to fund this trip.

Hedy
04-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Question for those of you who have done values in the heat:
I have my water shipped. If you do, do you get a fridge to keep water cold (at $12ish a night) or do you do a fridge swap, or do you just take a cooler and load it with ice to keep the water cold. Or do you just cope with lukewarm water?

linanglab
04-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Question for those of you who have done values in the heat:
I have my water shipped. If you do, do you get a fridge to keep water cold (at $12ish a night) or do you do a fridge swap, or do you just take a cooler and load it with ice to keep the water cold. Or do you just cope with lukewarm water?

When we stayed at a value - it was in 2003 - we got a fridge from the value (at that time I think it was $10 a night. And actually, we did not pay for it. It happened to be in the room when we got there, and they never charged us for it, nor did they remove it after we told them it was in there (we were not planning on renting one). But it was nice for our drinks and some of our leftovers from meals. We tend to eat dinner type food for breakfast, so it worked out well.

Also - I CANNOT stand warm water. You want it cold when it is SOOO hot. We go in July, and you really like the drinks ICE cold. IMO.

m 'n c
04-04-2008, 06:14 PM
We put a bag in the trash can and filled it up with ice and put our water bottles in there over night and during the day. Never had hot/lukewarm water the whole time :)

Pooh's Pal
04-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Personally I would go over to that other board and do the fridge swap. I signed on my stepdaughter and her family for it last year and she said it was a piece of cake..picked it up...had the bellman deliver it to the room with the luggage and had them pick it up when they were leaving. Just my opinion.

OR
If you have a car, you could get a Styrofoam cooler at the market along with your water from Florida (unless your a PS snob like me and have it shipped in...lol) or pack a soft size collapsible cooler. And you could have the boys(depending on their ages) go on an adventure every night to get the cooler filled with ice...now that was always an adventure with my girl and whomever she took along!

m 'n c
04-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Personally I would go over to that other board and do the fridge swap. I signed on my stepdaughter and her family for it last year and she said it was a piece of cake..picked it up...had the bellman deliver it to the room with the luggage and had them pick it up when they were leaving. Just my opinion.

OR
If you have a car, you could get a Styrofoam cooler at the market along with your water from Florida (unless your a PS snob like me and have it shipped in...lol) or pack a soft size collapsible cooler. And you could have the boys(depending on their ages) go on an adventure every night to get the cooler filled with ice...now that was always an adventure with my girl and whomever she took along!

I think they are having problems with fridges disappearing (either people not returning them, disney losing them, or disney mgt throwing them away) so I think I'd either bring my own, rent one, or "make one" like Mike and I do. The swaps were a good idea until from what I understand recently.

cglaura
04-05-2008, 12:14 PM
...OR

We did this one year , but b/c we flew down, I shipped the cooler to POP, filled w/ our snacks, juice boxes and such. It cost about $16 to ship (weight of the juice boxes...). I tried to give away the cooler b/f we left, it was in perfect condition, but nobody would take it! Everyone was, what's the catch, what do I have to do? :p Um, just take the cooler and use it! So I wound up just leaving in in the room.

Hedy
04-05-2008, 03:11 PM
We put a bag in the trash can and filled it up with ice and put our water bottles in there over night and during the day. Never had hot/lukewarm water the whole time :)

I think I'm going to go with that-plus since the family'll be at a villa I could always share their real fridge.

Mom2aPrincess
04-05-2008, 07:52 PM
I did a fridge swap at Pop in December successfully and I've signed up for another for August. As of now, it's not missing. If you could find one, it wouldn't hurt to sign up (the ones that have been around long are free now) and if it doesn't show up or you run into problems, you go back to plan b (just using ice in the trash can or whatever)

iluvamystery89
04-06-2008, 03:44 PM
one last note about Pop: make SURE your room doesn't face the pool! if it does, you'll be kept awake til all hours of the night and awakened by dawn! (this was our experience in sept. 2007.)

Mom2aPrincess
04-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Not sure what your preferences are so you may want to be closer, but I requested "4th floor Epcot View" in December and LOVED it! We watched the fireworks at Epcot on several nights that we had gotten back early. It was awesome to just stand on the balcony and watch the show. It was also quiet all the time. I loved it and have made the same request for August.

Hedy
04-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I just requested 50's (I'm in a not preferred section). But I'm getting in after mid-night, so I can't be too picky.

Wendi63
04-07-2008, 04:05 PM
We love the Pop Century. It's decor is larger than life. Just like Disney. We have stayed at POR and it is a little too layed back for my younger kids. They love the big pool and all of the large statues at Pop. We also like the feel of the large food court. I hope you have a good time at the Pop.