PDA

View Full Version : Gearing up for snow!!!

speechteachri
12-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Hoping all of you who have dealt with the snow and ice storms over the past week or so are making out ok.

Now it is our turn in the North East! I am avoiding the convenience stores like the plague!!! I'm NOT dreaming of a White Christmas, instead I'm dreaming of a nice warm, :sunshine: day!!!

Have a good day and stay safe everyone!

pbhall13
12-13-2007, 08:32 AM
I thought we were only suppose to get a dusting and now I notice that our town (Billerica, MA) has an early release due to weather............I keep looking out the window thinking, "snow, early release, what!!!!"

Of course I had an appointment at 12 for a CVS test panel, so now I have to call them and see if I can bring 3 kiddos with me (my dd4, her friend 4, and nephew1).........sure they will love that, but hopefully they can see me earlier....

Now, I do love the snow....but not when I have stuff scheduled.......oh well....

I hear you about stearing clear of stores.........they will be a madhouse!!

Hope you don't get shovel cramps!!

sunshinecindy
12-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Hoping all of you who have dealt with the snow and ice storms over the past week or so are making out ok.

Now it is our turn in the North East! I am avoiding the convenience stores like the plague!!! I'm NOT dreaming of a White Christmas, instead I'm dreaming of a nice warm, :sunshine: day!!!

Have a good day and stay safe everyone!

You can come join me, though we are suppose to have a cold snap this weekend, high of only70, lows clear into the upper 50's....yuk.

PSL1013
12-13-2007, 09:27 AM
It's a balmy 31 here this morning....just finished this mornings survey on cruises and we are suppose to get 8-10" of that awful white stuff starting around noon time and through the night...I love living in New England but......I HATE SNOW!:rotfl:

sammielynn
12-13-2007, 11:12 AM
It's 63 right now in Tennessee, 75 yesterday, but it is suppose to snow Sunday.

Blessing and Miracle
12-13-2007, 11:26 AM
If I could, I'd take that SNOW right off your hands so you wouldn't have to deal with it! :rotfl:

bartleby1
12-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Kids in our town have no school due to the storm coming in also. We've been to the supermarket and have settled in for the day. Hopefully I can get some more Christmas shopping done online (if the kids will stop peeking over my shoulder, lol!) I've heard reports of 6-10 inches for us. The scarier part is that one forecaster was reporting that the first significant storm of the season will be coming in Saturday/Sunday. Hmmm... I kind of thought 6-10 inches was fairly significant, lol!

bs4free
12-13-2007, 12:11 PM
We have about 3-4 inches so far this morning, almost every school is closed and alot of state/county office and service have closed or closing early... still have about 3-7 more inches and then we are looking at another foot of snow this weekend... It looks like it will be a white christmas...

sunshinecindy
12-13-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm just listening to the weather and they are talking about all the cold weather and snow up in the northeast and how a very cold front is moving in behind it. That is horrible. Winter is just starting and you guys are getting slammed already.

bartleby1
12-13-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm just listening to the weather and they are talking about all the cold weather and snow up in the northeast and how a very cold front is moving in behind it. That is horrible. Winter is just starting and you guys are getting slammed already.

I'm sure it is particularly bad for the retail stores around here. They are probably counting on a big shopping weekend this weekend and the snow may keep people away. I know that I'm trying to place a few last minute orders online in case this big storm does come on Saturday.

zoodoyle
12-13-2007, 01:07 PM
We have about 3-4 inches so far this morning, almost every school is closed and alot of state/county office and service have closed or closing early... still have about 3-7 more inches and then we are looking at another foot of snow this weekend... It looks like it will be a white christmas...

Same here! You know it's gonna' be bad when they close school before a flake hits the ground!! We're at about 4-5 inches, and thankfully the whole family is home, snuggling under blankets in the living room, watching Shrek 3. Ratatouille's next :sunshine: :sunshine:

bs4free
12-13-2007, 02:49 PM
yep i thought it was so funny it was about 5 or 6 am and not a flake could be found but 80% of schools went nope no school... the others a few hours latter had students go home early... I can not wait to see what the official total is, but out my window it seems we have gotten about 6 mabey 7 inches and its starting to slow i hope... So cindy and the rest down south could you send us some :sunshine: and warmth... so we can thawout....

JOLAROCHE
12-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Kids got out early. Husband is not home yet which means that the roads are bad it usually on take 15 minutes on a busy day. We are expexting 6-9 the last I heard and another on Saturday. Oh how I love Rhode Island. This is really to early even for me.

Kycha
12-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Ice, ice and more ice here in PA. There is about a half inch of ice on everything. They are calling for it to change over to all rain tonight. I hope it happens soon. Supposedly, Sat/Sun we are getting a Noreaster'. Can't wait. And winter hasn't even officially started yet...this sucks.

Kycha
12-13-2007, 03:51 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/kycha33/IMG_0003.jpg

How much longer till spring? :sunshine2:

speechteachri
12-13-2007, 04:04 PM
You can come join me, though we are suppose to have a cold snap this weekend, high of only70, lows clear into the upper 50's....yuk.

So I wonder what a one way ticket to Tampa on Southwest is going for these days.....?:) :sunshine2:

Kids got out early. Husband is not home yet which means that the roads are bad it usually on take 15 minutes on a busy day. We are expexting 6-9 the last I heard and another on Saturday. Oh how I love Rhode Island. This is really to early even for me.

Where abouts in the state are you?

The roads are TERRIBLE!!! We let out of school (I teach in West Warwick) an hour early. My principal let me go a little before the kids because I am not a classroom teacher. It took me almost 45 minutes to make a normally 15 minute ride down to North Kingstown to pick up dd from school. Then took me more than an hour to get back to Coventry to drop off the girl we carpool with and get back home. Seems like people in New England would know instinctively how to drive in the snow, but, sadly that just isn't so!!! People should be forced to take lessons on snow driving that teach about the concept of momentum!!! It so drives me crazy that for over 30 minutes I was in back of a big SUV, probably with 4WD, that drove between 10 and 15 MPH the WOLE TIME. I have a front wheel drive car......I need to keep moving!!!!! ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! Ok, done with my rant.:angel:

Ice, ice and more ice here in PA. There is about a half inch of ice on everything. They are calling for it to change over to all rain tonight. I hope it happens soon. Supposedly, Sat/Sun we are getting a Noreaster'. Can't wait. And winter hasn't even officially started yet...this sucks.

You crack me up. I don't mind the storm today so much, because it is just sonw. I am NOT looking forward to the one over the weekend!

bartleby1
12-13-2007, 04:07 PM
We've turned over to ice as well. It sure is a mess out there and DH can't leave work for another hour and a half. I'm sure he'll have a nice commute home. :(

spring
12-13-2007, 04:09 PM
I live in Southeastern CT, and because we live near Long Island Sound, the snow isn't too bad. We've gotten maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inches so far while the rest of the State is being slammed. Right now, it's sleeting, starting to make the roads miserable. Several of them around here are "parking lots" I hear, due to all the accidents.

I really don't mind snow, as long as I don't have to drive in it. Being a nurse, however, I haven't much choice. Boy, would I ever like to get a snow day now and then!

LuvMyBoys
12-13-2007, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=speechteachri;86190]

The roads are TERRIBLE!!! We let out of school (I teach in West Warwick) an hour early. My principal let me go a little before the kids because I am not a classroom teacher. It took me almost 45 minutes to make a normally 15 minute ride down to North Kingstown to pick up dd from school. Then took me more than an hour to get back to Coventry to drop off the girl we carpool with and get back home. Seems like people in New England would know instinctively how to drive in the snow, but, sadly that just isn't so!!! People should be forced to take lessons on snow driving that teach about the concept of momentum!!! It so drives me crazy that for over 30 minutes I was in back of a big SUV, probably with 4WD, that drove between 10 and 15 MPH the WOLE TIME. I have a front wheel drive car......I need to keep moving!!!!! ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! Ok, done with my rant.:angel:

QUOTE]

Ahh, the joys of winter driving! :) We've had bad weather here for the past two weeks in a row, lots of ice and freezing rain :(

The thing that irks me the most though is people who speed by you in a SUV or truck when it's icy! Hello, 4 wheel drive doesn't mean jack on icy roads! And then there's always the person that keeps hitting the brakes every 2 seconds, hello hitting the brakes constantly just makes things worse and increases the likelihood that I'm going to rear end you! :confused:

I hate winter driving!!!

speechteachri
12-13-2007, 04:17 PM
QUOTE]

Ahh, the joys of winter driving! :) We've had bad weather here for the past two weeks in a row, lots of ice and freezing rain :(

The thing that irks me the most though is people who speed by you in a SUV or truck when it's icy! Hello, 4 wheel drive doesn't mean jack on icy roads! And then there's always the person that keeps hitting the brakes every 2 seconds, hello hitting the brakes constantly just makes things worse and increases the likelihood that I'm going to rear end you! :confused:

I hate winter driving!!![/QUOTE]

I don't mind driving in the snow....as long as I am the only one on the road!!!! :p I am not a patient driver in the best of circumstances, never mind in the bad weather. Good thing I don't swear!!

Kycha
12-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Ahh, the joys of winter driving! We've had bad weather here for the past two weeks in a row, lots of ice and freezing rain :(

I hate winter driving!!!

:rotfl: You sound exactly like me! That whole 4 wheel drive thing drives me nuts too. They should seriously make people take a driving test in the snow and ice before they are allowed to buy those things. :sunshine2:

ligrumpygirl
12-13-2007, 05:11 PM

Down state (on LI) is not THAT bad! Lots of slush right now...let's hope it doesn't freeze tonight. Our school hates to close...as a teacher I am mad about that!!

nicholfamily5
12-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Oh man, today totally blew.

My Husband left work at 1:15 this afternoon, and didn't get home until after 9PM!!!!

He was literally stranded on the highway for hours. He had to get out of his car to clear the snow. I have the WORST tension headache from being so worried.
He almost ran out of gas, and hadn't eaten since this morning. I was so nervous he'd have a diabetic reaction, but thankfully he held on until he got home.
He did say there were a ton of people stranded on the side of the road, so I really hope everyone was rescued okay. He felt horrible just passing by, but he couldn't pull over without getting stuck himself.

hope everyone is staying nice and warm tonight!