PDA

View Full Version : Insurance credit check

wisconsinmom
05-31-2007, 07:09 AM
Just FYI the new Insurance.com offer tells you on the last screen that they run a credit check. Just thought I would let people know incase you don't want to have your credit run:)

SunshineGirl
05-31-2007, 07:13 AM
Interesting. That must be why it pays out just a little bit more than Esurance, which the advertiser says SSN is optional.

3dog2kidmom
05-31-2007, 07:15 AM
SSN is optional on insurance.com, too. Which I did not provide and still got credit. It is my understanding they they cannot run a credit check without it... am I wrong? Oops!

wisconsinmom
05-31-2007, 07:26 AM
SSN is optional on insurance.com, too. Which I did not provide and still got credit. It is my understanding they they cannot run a credit check without it... am I wrong? Oops!

Hmm, you are right, SSN was optional on this one too. I don't know if they can run your credit without SSN.

3dog2kidmom
05-31-2007, 07:38 AM
Kari, where are you from in WI? We love the Dells and also Door County!!

m 'n c
05-31-2007, 07:47 AM
I also declined to put in my ssn and I still got to the next page with quotes and received credit this morning. It is definetly optional. I hope this helps yall. :)

mom2dea
05-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Ok I just tried Insurence.com one and did life insurence something I want to buy anyways and they did not ask for my SSN Am I missing something ? Did I not do the offer right did we have to do Auto ?

How long dose this one take to get credit cause I know I will be on pins and neddles now till it credits for me !

Thanks everyone

Sarah

wisconsinmom
05-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Shelly,
I live between Madison and Milwaukee. We are about 30 minutes from Madison and 45 minutes from Milwaukee. My kids love the Dells, we try to go at least once a year. It is only an 80 minute drive, so it is easy to do on a weekend. I also love Door County but we haven't been up there for several years.

lrsellars
05-31-2007, 09:21 AM
How long dose this one take to get credit cause I know I will be on pins and neddles now till it credits for me !

Thanks everyone

Sarah

I'm interested in this info too. I just did it this morning without SSN.
Thanks!! Linda

JillyFish
05-31-2007, 09:21 AM
I just started doing the esurance offer and it also states that they do a credit check. And it's not just a matter of giving out your SSN. If you do more than one (I think) credit check per year, it brings your credit score down.....but you all probably knew that already! :)

We are in the middle of refinancing our mortgage and just had a credit check done. My husband is very proud of our credit rating....so I guess I won't be doing either of the insurance offers. :( BUMMER!

SunshineGirl
05-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Can they run a check without your SSN?

JillyFish
05-31-2007, 09:34 AM
Can they run a check without your SSN?

I don't know.....I tried a Google search and didn't really come up with any helpful information.

losassok
05-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Yes, they can. I work in an insurance office (working now :angel: ) and I can pull credit with a name, address if they've been there a few years and birth date.

SunshineGirl
05-31-2007, 09:57 AM
That's very good information!

mom2dea
05-31-2007, 10:29 AM
ok I did these a 8am and no credit yet :(

Sarah

tweety129s
05-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Now I wish I hadn't done the insurance one. We're hoping to buy soon and are usually pretty cautious about it. I didn't do the OBO pay because it said that you give the right for third parties to run credit checks. I can't believe I missed that info!

Plus, I did it last night and haven't even gotten credit for it.

Good thing I wasn't able to do the esurance one. In MA, the auto insurance companies are regulated somehow. I don't really know the specifics, but pretty much any auto insurance that has a national commercial we can't get.

SunshineGirl
05-31-2007, 10:54 AM
It looks like they come through in batches at a time every couple of hours. You may still be okay. I haven't seen a batch in a little while.

Magical JenK
05-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Yes, they can. I work in an insurance office (working now :angel: ) and I can pull credit with a name, address if they've been there a few years and birth date.

Oh man...that's not good...I did both thinking "well if you don't have my SSN, I'm ok." Thanks for letting us know this....man, I need to be more careful w/these things!! I don't want my credit rating to go down....:(

jnorth1007
05-31-2007, 11:20 AM
Hey guys. I did some investigating on this and here is what I have found. I ran a copy of my credit report and both of the insurance companies and obopay appeared on there. However, they appear under the inquiries that only the report owner can view and they do not affect your credit score. While I am not happy that obopay ran my report when it specifically says they don't do a credit check, I am happy to know that these don't affect my credit score. I HTH and makes some you feel a little better. :sunshine2:

tweety129s
05-31-2007, 11:22 AM
That makes me feel sooo much better!!! When I last ran my report there were inquiries under that catagory from companies I have never heard of (even before doing any reward site). But that's good to know that it's not a public inquiry!

Magical JenK
05-31-2007, 11:27 AM
Hey guys. I did some investigating on this and here is what I have found. I ran a copy of my credit report and both of the insurance companies and obopay appeared on there. However, they appear under the inquiries that only the report owner can view and they do not affect your credit score. While I am not happy that obopay ran my report when it specifically says they don't do a credit check, I am happy to know that these don't affect my credit score. I HTH and makes some you feel a little better. :sunshine2:

Can you explain what that means though..."inquiries that only the report owner can view"??? Thanks

jnorth1007
05-31-2007, 11:35 AM
That means that when a company or mortgage company or anything like that pulls your credit they won't see the inquiry and it is not included in your credit score. These types of inquiries can be when you check your own credit, when your insurance company reruns your credit each year, when your current debtors run your credit and things like that. They aren't shown on any credit report except the one that you order for yourself and they don't affect your score.

ETA: This is also the type of inquiry the phone company does and your cell phone company does yearly to check your standing.

jnorth1007
05-31-2007, 11:38 AM
If it is something you are concerned about you can go to annual credit report website and get a free copy of each of your credit reports each year. I have found that equifax doesn't track so you can actually get more than one a year. This is the one I check most often because it also happens to be the one that most companies check. If you go to the inquiries section of your report it lists the inquiries that affect your report and those that don't seperately. It also sort of explains what they mean by the ones that don't affect the scores.

ETA: Here is the exact wording from my report about what the difference is in the inquiries:
These are the ones that affect your score in some way:
The following inquiries are "hard" or voluntary inquiries and were generated because you authorized the companies listed to request a copy of your credit report. Most credit scores are calculated using only inquiries from the last 12 months. Your credit score is generally not affected by several inquiries that are posted at about the same time, such as when you shop for the best auto loan or mortgage rates. This section list companies that requested your credit file. Credit grantors may view these requests when evaluating your credit worthiness. Employment inquiries do not impact your credit score.
These are the ones that don't:
Inquiries that do not display to companies and do not impact your credit score.
This section includes inquiries which display only to you and are not considered when evaluating your credit worthiness. Examples of this inquiry type include a pre-approved offer of credit, insurance, or periodic account review by an existing creditor.

Magical JenK
05-31-2007, 11:40 AM
And pulling your own credit doesn't hurt your credit score? I guess I thought it did??? Jeez...see, reward sites ARE good educational tools!! Thanks Janet!!

jnorth1007
05-31-2007, 11:48 AM
You are so welcome. It can hurt if your pull it through another company that pulls it for you. KWIM? You are always safe pulling it through the annual credit report dot com website because they are directly connected with the reporting agencies and were set up to enable the enforcement of the act that requires them to provide everyone with one free report a year. You also are safe pulling it directly from the reporting agency websites themselves or even through the FICO website.

jnorth1007
05-31-2007, 11:52 AM
That makes me feel sooo much better!!! When I last ran my report there were inquiries under that catagory from companies I have never heard of (even before doing any reward site). But that's good to know that it's not a public inquiry!

These that showed up that you didn't know were probably companies that were sending you a preapproved offer of credit. These companies can check your credit without your permission if you don't opt out but they will not show up on your report under the inquiries that can be seen and they do not affect your score because you obviously had no control over them.

mom2dea
05-31-2007, 12:09 PM
So has another batch been processed yet ? Its been 4 hours so I am really starting to think I will not get credit for these two offers . The bad thing is I have already been called :(

Sarah M