PDA

View Full Version : ME - which airlines?

linanglab
12-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Okay....Bethany (DD7) and I will be hopefully flying to WDW in July. (May have to drive, depending on cost). I am interested in ME. Which airlines participate? This will help me decide whether I will fly or not. I am not going to rent a vehicle because I am not very direction savvy. I have never used any sort of WDW transportation, so this is VERY new to me. We have always rented vehicles (DH insists). I was reading Hedy's TR and it got me starting to think about this aspect of our trip. She also mentioned that ME was a bit difficult to find.

bs4free
12-17-2007, 03:22 PM
No matter what airline you fly you can use Disneys ME to get from the Airport to your disney resort and will have your bags deliverd to your room, now only At this time, remote check-in service is only available for guests flying domestically on the following airlines: American, Continental, jetBlue, Delta, Alaska, Northwest, and United (including Ted), that means you can check in for your return filght and have your bags checked as well, if not then you can carry your bags on ME and check in at the airport you have more then enough time... Hope this has helped, btw I really really like Disney Magic Express

Mom2aPrincess
12-17-2007, 03:23 PM
We used ME when we went in 2006 and we're using it when we leave Tuesday! I didn't think it was that difficult to find the ME desks at the airport at all. I just stopped and asked directions as soon as we got off the plane and found it with no problem.

As far as arriving, you can fly on ANY airline and ride the ME to your airport. We are flying in Southwest.

You can also take ME back to your airport at the end of your trip no matter what airline you use. The "participating airlines" refers to being able to check in from the disney hotels and they'll take your luggage and get it to the airport for you. If you do not use one of the "participating airlines" you will be responsible for taking your luggage on the bus, unloading it, and then checking it yourself at the airport.

Participating Airlines are: AirTran, Alaska, American, Continental, Delta/Song, JetBlue, Northwest, United/Ted and USAirways

We went in 2006 and it was just me and my dd(then5), and we're going this week with just me and DDs 7 and 16. I think ME is great personally. It's not perfect, but it makes life so much less stressful!

Hedy
12-17-2007, 03:27 PM
If booking on a participating airline isn't a huge cost deal, I'd do it. Checking in, then enjoying your day is sooo great!
The DME desk isn't hard to find, I just found it further than it was in 06.

bs4free
12-17-2007, 03:32 PM
But a word of advice get to the airline check in desk as soon as you can depending on what resort your at i know in september we were at movies and it took almost an hour to get through the line and we were the luck ones as the desk closed 15 minutes latter and all the rest in line were very upset... but we were flying out on a busy saturday, but just wanted to share...

linanglab
12-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks guys. I get a bit nervous, knowing that I am the ONLY adult in our little group. I don't want to get lost or get flustered for not finding ME, etc. I stress about things like that, especially since I have not used it before. I feel a little better knowing that I can use any airline, however, I like the fact that if I choose a participating airline, I won't have to worry about my luggage as much!

Mom2aPrincess
12-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys. I get a bit nervous, knowing that I am the ONLY adult in our little group. I don't want to get lost or get flustered for not finding ME, etc. I stress about things like that, especially since I have not used it before. I feel a little better knowing that I can use any airline, however, I like the fact that if I choose a participating airline, I won't have to worry about my luggage as much!

It really wasn't that difficult. I found everyone really helpful too. I was really nervous about being the adult too, but found that I was much more comfortable using ME than trying to rent a car and get myself around! That would really stress me out, I think.

I love using the participating airline too. I paid an extra $30 for our return flights tickets ($10 each) to have the participating airline. Not having to handle the luggage is SO worth that to me. It was really nice to just get off the bus and head to the plane without worrying about luggage!

Debbie Jean
12-17-2007, 03:41 PM
If booking on a participating airline isn't a huge cost deal, I'd do it. Checking in, then enjoying your day is sooo great!
The DME desk isn't hard to find, I just found it further than it was in 06.

I totally agree with this! I soooooo love checking my luggage in at Newark and not having to worry about it the rest of the trip. :love:

My cases have always shown up in my room within 2 hours of my arrival at the resort. You should, however, pack anything you need immediate access to in a carry on bag... just in case!

If you book ME you will get directions in your packet to the location of the check in desk at MCO. Honestly at that point, all roads lead to Disney :D and anyone in the building can give you directions.

wilsonfamily4
12-17-2007, 03:50 PM
I will use it again and I did find it hard to find. :)
It was so easy. Put your tags on your luggage before you leave. Then when you get to the airport you go to the check in for ME. I found it hard because they said it is where the rental cars are. Well I have never been to the airport so after we found that it was a long walk down that hall and no one said that. You start to wonder if you have missed it or something. Plus we had two cranky children with our carryons and strollers after being on a plane for 8 hours, it was just one of those things. But really that was the only thing. Once we were in line we were on a bus in minutes and then our bus left within 10 minutes. So easy. Our bags came later to our resort, but in a nice timely manner.

When we left we were on a participating airline, meaning we could check our luggage at the hotel and not see it again until we were back at our home airport! So nice. I would check into the hotels airline place early. I was in line for 2 hours!!!!! no kidding. I was getting nervous about getting our luggage checked in on time. They said there was a lot of people checking out that day and a lot of people were having major problems taking a lot of time up. Next time I will go as soon as they open. But again it was farily easy. Then we got on our ME bus and took off to the airport with just our carry ons. So nice. ME is great.

JillyFish
12-17-2007, 07:44 PM
I have an ME question too! If you are not flying on a "participating airline" will your resort hold your luggage for you after you check out until your ME bus leaves? (Does that makes sense?)

bs4free
12-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Yes the Disney hotels have a place where you can check your luggage while your waiting for your room to be ready or your waiting for your magic express..

Kycha
12-17-2007, 09:00 PM
I have an ME question too! If you are not flying on a "participating airline" will your resort hold your luggage for you after you check out until your ME bus leaves? (Does that makes sense?)

Yes! Just call luggage services. On our last trip, our flight didn't leave until 4pm. So, I call luggage services before we checked out of POP to schedule pick up our luggage. We went off to DTD for a couple hours. When we got back, we went straight to luggage services and they had our stuff ready and waiting for us to get on ME. It was great!

JillyFish
12-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Oooh! Thanks for the info. That sounds great!

linanglab
12-18-2007, 07:28 AM
I was thinking about flying SW, but they are not a participating airline. I thought about SW only because I thought I may be able to get a DING. I have never flown SW though, and am a bit concerned about the seating thing. Hopefully one of the participating airlines will have a great deal. I will not fly without it being VERY inexpensive. My parents are driving, and I could go with them, but we will be getting back from a 12 hour drive from VA Beach, and would prefer not to drive another 20 hours right away.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will look for the participating airlines FIRST. I definitely would prefer NOT to have to find my luggage and carry it to ME. I like to make this as easy as possible!

Mom2aPrincess
12-18-2007, 08:49 AM
I was thinking about flying SW, but they are not a participating airline. I thought about SW only because I thought I may be able to get a DING. I have never flown SW though, and am a bit concerned about the seating thing. Hopefully one of the participating airlines will have a great deal. I will not fly without it being VERY inexpensive. My parents are driving, and I could go with them, but we will be getting back from a 12 hour drive from VA Beach, and would prefer not to drive another 20 hours right away.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will look for the participating airlines FIRST. I definitely would prefer NOT to have to find my luggage and carry it to ME. I like to make this as easy as possible!

Remember Angela, that it doesn't matter all which airline you use going there...and I would keep a watch on Ding...if it was low enough, it would be worth the hassle of dealing with your own luggage. Unfortunately, I never could get a good ding for coming home, but we are flying SW to Orlando...

JillyFish
12-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Here's a thought....could you look for a good Southwest rate for your flight TO MCO and then look for a flight on a participating airline for your flight home. Depending on what you find, it COULD save you some money....and you'd still have a participating airline going home so you didn't have to handle your luggage.

linanglab
12-18-2007, 10:16 AM
If SW is low enough, I definitely would use them. I just rather not have to worry about luggage and all. DH is the one who I kind of follow around the airport. I never pay attention to where I am going, just sort of follow. The less stuff I have to look for and do, the better. LOL. Not a big deal either way. I do not mind asking for directions (unlike DH!) I have seen SW with some good DINGS. I have always bought tickets 6 months ahead of time. But since I have the option of driving, I am not going to book until something great comes up - whichever airline that is. I don't even have to make reservations until the week before if need be. But if 2 airlines have good fares, and 1 is a participating airline, I will opt for that.

Magical JenK
12-18-2007, 10:43 AM
I love DME!! It's awesome! I know they moved where it's located from our '06 trip to our '07 trip, but it was closer to us in '07!! Depends on what gates you come in I guess, but it's really not hard to find. There should be someone waiting for you at your baggage claim that has DME info. You can just ask them where to go.

As for your luggage...on your way there, it doesn't matter which airline you take, you'll get yellow stickers that list your hotel & your bags will magically arrive in your room later.

It's only on your return flight that the participating airlines matter...and even then it's only to check in & check your luggage, which yes, is great, but don't let that one fact deter you not using DME! If you aren't flying a participating airline, you can still use DME & not really worry too much about your luggage. You'll just check your luggage w/bell services & go about your day until it's time to catch the DME. Then you'll go back to bell services, get your luggage & bring it to the DME at that time. (Chances are bell services will be very close to where you pick up DME...it was at POFQ & CSR anyway.) You won't be alone & there will be people to load up the luggage for you. Then you'll get to the airport & check in & check your bags at your airline counter like you did on your way to MCO.

I understand your concerns, but honestly it's an awesome service & I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless I thought it was awesome!! :0)

wilsonfamily4
12-18-2007, 12:58 PM
I used SW for our trip there and then Delta for our trip back. It was just way cheaper for us to do them seperately and then I was glad we had Delta for the return trip, because they are a participating airline.

linanglab
12-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Actually, I am very lucky that I have lots of options. Even though my sister will have specific dates (don't know exactly when yet), I can come a day or 2 earlier/later for better flight deals. Plus, I have the option of driving with them for only 1 way if I cannot find decent flights both ways. I have never bought 1 ways before, but I will definitely be looking this time.

Mom2aPrincess
01-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Just wanted to share that I just got back from Disney and we used ME and it was even better and seemed more smooth than last time. It was so nice!! We only had 6 luggage tags from ME but we were allowed 9 bags with Southwest...well we ended up with 7 and I just gave my extra luggage ID tag and description of suitcase to ME and they even picked it up and brought it to our room with the other 6!

Coming home was a cinch too. Bus was a little later than the ME letter said, but a great ride. Our luggage was already checked since we flew back Continental and we had tons of time to explore the airport before our flight!

I really can't help but say how great this went!

Kycha
01-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Just wanted to share that I just got back from Disney and we used ME and it was even better and seemed more smooth than last time. It was so nice!! We only had 6 luggage tags from ME but we were allowed 9 bags with Southwest...well we ended up with 7 and I just gave my extra luggage ID tag and description of suitcase to ME and they even picked it up and brought it to our room with the other 6!

Coming home was a cinch too. Bus was a little later than the ME letter said, but a great ride. Our luggage was already checked since we flew back Continental and we had tons of time to explore the airport before our flight!

I really can't help but say how great this went!
ME is the best perk! I love it. How did your check in at your resort go? I had heard that can be nightmarish. How long did you wait in line?

We usually fly Southwest and I think they just became a participating airline. So, our 2008 trip will be the first chance for us to us the resort check in.

schachteles
01-01-2008, 04:42 PM
ME is the best perk! I love it. How did your check in at your resort go? I had heard that can be nightmarish. How long did you wait in line?

We usually fly Southwest and I think they just became a participating airline. So, our 2008 trip will be the first chance for us to us the resort check in.

When we flew Northwest in October we checked out bags at the hotel, it was a breeze...I probably waited in line for 20-30 minutes which isn't bad. And then the scale was broke so that worked to our favor because we probably were over with all the MNSSHP candy and because it was broke nothing was weighed and no extra charges!

Everything worked so much slicker then I planned...definitely would do it again, I just wish that the bus didn't come so early on check out day, especially since the bags were already checked.

Mom2aPrincess
01-01-2008, 06:46 PM

Checking in at the resort is great. We were able to do it both times we've been. It's soooo nice. We were at Pop and I went down and got a luggage cart the night before we were leaving. As we filled up suitcases, we put it on the cart. I wanted to be checked in first thing (before the lines) so I got up early intending to roll the cart down alone while the girls got a little more sleep, but they both woke up.

There was only one family in front of us when we walked up so we were checked in VERY fast, given our tickets and luggage claim slip and off we went to explore and take pictures of the other areas of Pop and have breakfast before catching the bus.

I had not heard about Soutwest becoming a participating airline? Where did you hear that? That would be AWESOME!!!

linanglab
01-01-2008, 06:52 PM
That would be great is SW was a participating airline! More info please!

Kycha
01-01-2008, 07:45 PM
I had not heard about Soutwest becoming a participating airline? Where did you hear that? That would be AWESOME!!!

That would be great is SW was a participating airline! More info please!

I thought I had read that on the Dis last year. Let me do a little research and get back to you.

Kycha
01-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Sorry guys.:cry: Southwest is not a participating airline. I know I read it over on the Dis. But, I should know by now not to believe everything I read(especially on the Dis).:)

These are the participating airlines for resort check in:

Alaska Airlines
American Airlines
Continental
Delta Air Lines
JetBlue
Northwest
United/Ted
AirTran