PDA

View Full Version : Did you see this?

Magical JenK
12-19-2007, 10:08 AM
A man died on Expedition Everest yesterday. How sad.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/orl-bk-disneyaccident12182007,0,7179266.story?coll=orl_ta b01_layout

m 'n c
12-19-2007, 10:19 AM
I had heard about that. It was sorta freaky that he was alive in the picture they take towards the end of the ride and then dead when it was over.

gpp2001
12-19-2007, 10:21 AM
That is sad. To look at it another way - What a way to go, riding a roller coaster. If it's my time I want to go having fun! No disrespect to the man that died or his family.

Magical JenK
12-19-2007, 10:27 AM
I had heard about that. It was sorta freaky that he was alive in the picture they take towards the end of the ride and then dead when it was over.

Oh I had not heard that at all!! WOW!!

That is sad. To look at it another way - What a way to go, riding a roller coaster. If it's my time I want to go having fun! No disrespect to the man that died or his family.

AND the most magical place on earth!! (Again, no disrespect!!) :p

m 'n c
12-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Yeah someone had posted an article about it on the DIS yesterday and it was in the article. It did not say if he was sitting next to anyone or what happened. I'm assuming it was like most early deaths that there was an undetected condition. So sad right around the holidays as well.

Magical JenK
12-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Yeah someone had posted an article about it on the DIS yesterday and it was in the article. It did not say if he was sitting next to anyone or what happened. I'm assuming it was like most early deaths that there was an undetected condition. So sad right around the holidays as well.

I need to learn not to skim articles!!

SunshineGirl
12-19-2007, 10:39 AM
That just freaks me out. And I made poor Cassie ride that one even though she cried! :(

I guess when it is your time to go, it is your time to go. But it still gives you pause when it comes to riding some of these things. I know it will be a LONG time before anyone in my family rides Mission Space.

Hedy
12-19-2007, 10:46 AM
That just freaks me out. And I made poor Cassie ride that one even though she cried! :(

I guess when it is your time to go, it is your time to go. But it still gives you pause when it comes to riding some of these things. I know it will be a LONG time before anyone in my family rides Mission Space.

I totally get that, but on the other hand, people die of cardiac issues or have them creep up at the most random times (I had a peer who had an undiagnosed heart issue go awire in math class). I feel like sometimes when these stories come out, it's OMG the roller coaster, rather than, medical oddity.

SunshineGirl
12-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Yeah...that's what keeps me going back on them. LOL! I am afraid of Mission Space though. Probably because it affected ME so much and I'm a big person. I am afraid how my girls would feel on it as tiny as they are. Of course, I won't let them ride the Beast at King's Island anymore because I got banged up on it so bad and can't imagine how their little bodies feel after getting bounced around. So I guess I base that stuff more on how I react to the rides than what I read about them.

Magical JenK
12-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Yeah...that's what keeps me going back on them. LOL! I am afraid of Mission Space though. Probably because it affected ME so much and I'm a big person. I am afraid how my girls would feel on it as tiny as they are. Of course, I won't let them ride the Beast at King's Island anymore because I got banged up on it so bad and can't imagine how their little bodies feel after getting bounced around. So I guess I base that stuff more on how I react to the rides than what I read about them.

I agree that kids should be bigger to go on Mission Space for sure!! DH is not afraid of rides, but that one...HE'S the one thinking we shouldn't do it! Not me! I LOVE that ride!! Now...Tower of Terror on the other hand....I'm always looking for a way out of that one!!:eek:

linanglab
12-19-2007, 11:40 AM
The first time DH rode MS was in 2005. He took our youngest son, who was 8 at the time. They both absolutely LOVED it! I obviously did not ride. I rode the tamer version with DD this year - still did not like it. If you read my report, I tend to be claustrophobic and almost had a panic attack, but managed to be strong for my DD! My oldest son, age 12 at the time, rode it this year and also loved the BIG version of MS.

We are also the type of people who believe when it is your time to go, you will go. But I do think God gave us a "gut" for a purpose.

faithhope
12-19-2007, 12:56 PM

Just an FYI on Mission Space... you can do a less intense version of the ride. They hand out different colored cards for intense or less intense and have two separate lines inside... I did the intense version once...and won't ever do it again... but we all go (including grandpa) on the less intense version.

Nina

jakeandsophiesmom
12-19-2007, 01:17 PM
As the mother of a child with a heart condition, it just terrifies me to put my DD on any kind of ride, much less a roller coaster. Even though her cardiologist says she can do anything and ride absolutely anything she wants to, I tend to freak out anyway. Lucky for me, she takes after her daddy so far, and doesn't like coasters and such yet.

wilsonfamily4
12-19-2007, 01:27 PM
o, how sad. I cannot imagine the pain the family is going through losing someone while on a vaction they were dreaming of. :(

linanglab
12-19-2007, 01:46 PM
o, how sad. I cannot imagine the pain the family is going through losing someone while on a vaction they were dreaming of. :(

I agree. I also think it is terrible for the people around who saw this. Especially little ones who don't understand. I am sure it scared some kids - even bigger kids. You would never get that scene out of your head...

nurseminnie76
12-21-2007, 10:50 PM
My DH and DD were in line for EE on Tuesday morning when this happened. They did not see anything and were told that the ride was closing for maintenance and would reopen at a later point. Disney was also handing out Fastpasses to people who were already in line when the ride closed.

I was in the gift shop waiting with my younger 2 kids when a CM came in and asked if anyone was traveling with Mr. Reeb. For the next hour or two they were continually paging other family members through out the park to come to Guest Relations. (I thought that was odd at the time, because I have never heard them page anyone over the loud speaker before.)

We had no idea what had happened until DH and I were watching the news in our room later that night. I am so sad for that family -- what a terrible thing to happen on a family vacation!

nurseminnie76
12-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Also wanted to say that I rode Mission Space for the first time on this trip -- NEVER AGAIN! My DH and DD rode it first (orange version) and they thought it was great. My DD wanted me to ride with her and I was very reluctant. DH said "you really should ride it with her - it's not that bad --- make sure you tell them you want orange". I think they just wanted to see me cry - LOL. I had to make myself breath during take off. I wanted to close my eyes but they kept warning you not to so I didn't. The rest of the ride wasn't so bad, but I couldn't enjoy it because I was still trying to recover from take off. Then afterwards I felt kinda bad for being a big baby when my 7 yo rode it twice in a row and loved it. :rotfl:

coastalgirl
12-21-2007, 11:13 PM
MS- scares the poo out of me. We were there in 05 at Epcot the same day the little boy died on that ride. It was so sad. We saw it on the news that night in our room.

jakeandsophiesmom
12-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Is it just me or does the older you get, the more motion sick you get. My sister and I were just talking the other day about how we use to make fun of our grandmother for being motion sick and now here we are in our 30's and both of us are the same way! I won't step foot on MS or the tea cups!

lmroyea
12-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Is it just me or does the older you get, the more motion sick you get. My sister and I were just talking the other day about how we use to make fun of our grandmother for being motion sick and now here we are in our 30's and both of us are the same way! I won't step foot on MS or the tea cups!

Yea, I used to love the thrill rides ( Did MS Full Throttle and loved it!) Last time I barely wanted to go at all, but they talked me into the tamer version. I had no desire whatsoever to do EE. My Dad and DH did it and I was almost in tears when they were trying to make me do it (which I didn't) My Mom and I watched the Jammin' Jungle Parade instead and I enjoyed it more than ever. I find that the older I get, the more I enjoy the safer, more comfortable entertainment. But that's why I love Disney, there's always something to please everyone of any age and thrill level.

Soccer Princess
12-22-2007, 06:19 PM
OMG that is so sad. We were at WDW 12/15-12/21 and we never heard anything about this though? And I rode EE twice after the 18th. Now I know this is bad, but I'm hoping we weren't sitting in that guy's seat! Yikes!
I will keep his family in my thoughts. So sad, especially this time of year and on vacation none the least!