PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know you

sunshinecindy
12-20-2007, 11:13 AM
We are all really close on this board, but heres the weird thing, most of us don't have a clue what everyone does for a living, what type of work. You know what me and Tricia do, tell us what you do. What kind of work your DH/boyfriend does. There are so many divisified jobs out there, its interesting to hear. So, I'll start.

You know I work for Sunshine Rewards. My DH works for Sun State International, a company that sells and services big rigs. Hes the Parts Manager of their Tampa Warehouse location.

Hedy
12-20-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm CSR for a company to which companies outsource their human resource departments. My mom's a retired special ed teacher.

nolacindy
12-20-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm a medical transcriptionist at a state/university/charity (some days we're not sure who we work for) hospital. DH is a delivery driver for a local lumbar yard.

disney_girl
12-20-2007, 11:23 AM
My last job was an Accountant at the Radioshack Corporate office. I left there to be a SAHM after DS was born 3 1/2 years ago. My DH is a computer programmer (aka nerd) for Pier 1 Corp office.

We've been married for 12 years and have a 3 1/2 year old DS and 2 1/2 week old DD! I also decorate cakes, cookies etc for family and friends- although I have taken a break from that for awhile!

m 'n c
12-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Mike and I are both Auditors at different Big 4s. We started at the same one, met at our first training, and then he moved to another last July.

faithhope
12-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Before I became a SAHM and SR Addict.... I was a unix system administrator for a university (computer person). My husband is rocket scientist... really... he is working with the Mars Rovers.

Faith

JOLAROCHE
12-20-2007, 11:33 AM
I am a Radiology Scheduler. I have worked in the same department for the same hospital for 33 years. My DH works at the same hospital he is a Technical Aide for one of the departments.

JillyFish
12-20-2007, 11:44 AM
I am a SAHM. Trained as a registered nurse, but haven't practiced in over 15years. We have a DS9, DS8, and DD7 who keep me very busy! DH is a Mechanical Engineer for Parker Hannifin. His division designs and manufactures wheels and brakes for aircraft. He is also becoming involved in their wind turbine division and his job could move solely to that in the upcoming months.

linanglab
12-20-2007, 11:47 AM
I am a SAHM and have been for a little over 13 years. DH works in the factory at Cooper Tire & Rubber. He also works part time for MC Sports. Been married for over 15 years.

I may try to get an upcoming job at a school (secretary). Not sure yet. My kids do not want me to be gone when they are at home, and to be honest, I really don't either. I have a teen now, so I am not sure I want him to be where I do not know what is going on! LOL I guess it depends on the hours.... But most likely, I will remain a SAHM. It can be gruelling, but very rewarding.

sammielynn
12-20-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm the Coordinator of Student Activities and part time faculty member at the local Community College. My Exdh is a jerk.:rotfl: Both of my sons are students, one a college freshman and the other a high school junior.

linanglab
12-20-2007, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=sammielynn;88307] My Exdh is a jerk.:rotfl: QUOTE]

LOL!!! That cracked me up!

missangie
12-20-2007, 11:57 AM
I run a daycare out of my home. I left corporate America 5+ years ago because my kids needed me at home. I also work part time for SR. My DH is an Operations Manager for a securities company. He currently works with SunshineGuy but will soon be working for a new company due to a merger and restructure.

Magical JenK
12-20-2007, 12:46 PM
I work for Target...in the corporate offices...nothing fun like the stores, but I can wear red & kakhi (am today actually). I'm in the financial reporting department, have my degree in accounting, but not really "using" it. DH is a cop. Been married 7 years, together for 14...met in high school. Nothing but furbabies at our house...which I love dearly!

What a fun thread to hear what everyone does!

bbangel
12-20-2007, 01:19 PM
I have been an admin assistant at a university for six years. I worked in assessment before that. I was one of the people who scanned those mulitple choice forms and dealt with the data. Thank goodness I don't have to do that anymore!

No DH or BF and not looking for one. Too much trouble.

I do have a wonderful cat who is 13 and believes he is running the show. He is happiest when I am at home to provide a lap for him.

Blessing and Miracle
12-20-2007, 02:51 PM
We are all really close on this board, but heres the weird thing, most of us don't have a clue what everyone does for a living, what type of work.

LOL. I agree, we get up close and personal and I'm shame to admit, I don't even know names of some of you. LOL. Most likely, if it's not in your siggie, I don't know it, with the exception of a few. LOL.

Anyway, before I got sick I was a full-time student at The University of Houston. I was 18 hrs. away from entering my last phase -student teaching.
:( Yep, I was an Interdisciplinary Studies Major. I was gonna be certified to teach Pre-K-8th grade. My dream was to become a P-K and K teacher! I was also substituting in Aldine ISD.

That was the biggest heartbreak for me when I got sick. I waited for years after my children (before Blessing and Miracle) were older to decide to go back to school to become an elementary school teacher and I had to stop with one semester left. Not only that, I was on the Dean's List and had a 4.0 GPA! I admit, it was devastating. I did try to go back in the beginning, but with the chemo....It was just too much.

Anyway, Michael, my DH for 26 years has been working for the same company for 27 years. Hodell-Natco Industries. It's a fastner disturbution company (nuts and bolts). He's the warehouse manager. He has also been a minister for 16 years.

I just love this thread. Great idea, Cindy!

svwkirby
12-20-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm a travel agent, specializing in what else, but Disney. I'm also a stay at home, homeschooling mom so yes, I think I've lost my mind.:p My dh is a manager for an independent jewelry store after spending 7 years managing jewelry stores for corporations. We have two boys who are 7 and 5. In the last two months we've also added a kitten to the mix.

wilsonfamily4
12-20-2007, 02:58 PM
I am also a Stay At Home Mommy. :) I have a 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son. My DD is the challenging one and my son is a real sweetheart. I will probably never use my degree as I got it in mathematics. Pretty useless. :)

My husband is a CPA for a small firm that deals with businesses, and we are so blessed my that job. He worked as an auditor for the state for years and someone just plopped this job in his lap and we love it. He also does personal taxes on the side.

We have been married for 7 years. Met in college.

Also love this thread. Some real cool jobs out there

icartjetta
12-20-2007, 03:23 PM
I am a SAHM, My DH is in wine sales, (lucky me). I have a DD19, DS12 and DD4.
My name icartjetta came from:
icart = traci backwards
jetta = the car I used to drive before I got a highlander, love being up higher.
I was also born and raised in Orlando. Disney is like my backyard playground.
Was that too much information?:rotfl:

wilsonfamily4
12-20-2007, 03:29 PM
icart = traci backwards
jetta = the car I used to drive before I got a highlander, love being up higher.

I love when people say how they came up with there member name. :) We used to have a jetta until we had kids and a second car seat wouldn't fit. I love them. But I do like sitting higher.

Riyaa
12-20-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm a stay at home mom, too. DD2, Abbie and DS2months, Jack. My husband is a federal law enforcement agent for the Army. He's been in the Army for 13 years. We've been married for eight of those (together for 11 years).

jakeandsophiesmom
12-20-2007, 03:40 PM
My job is playing on here.:rotfl: Actually I just became a SAHM over the summer and I love being able to spend more time with the kids. Before this i was a customer service rep and teller for our local power company. After working for them for nine years with no promotions or raises in sight, I decided to call it quits. I do miss a lot of my regular griping customers though. DH is a sales manager for a mortgage company (ugh) but we hope very soon he will be starting classes to finish his degree to be a teacher and coach.

PartiesByCatharine
12-20-2007, 03:46 PM
I do sales and customer service for an online office furniture company (OFConcepts.com) and own a business (Slumber Parties by Catharine). My boyfriend manages a restaurant.

tommygirl79
12-20-2007, 03:55 PM
I am a SAHM for our two girls (ages 6 and 4). I also do part-time work as an at-home independent contractor. I work for a company that takes call for many of the infomercials/commercials many of you have seen...but I completely make my own schedule.

DH works for an architectural firm in the Indianapolis area in the marketing department. He writes and designs proposals when they go after jobs for either the medical (if you live in Indy they design mostly all of the Clarion building) or higher education facilities. He loves it...

spring
12-20-2007, 04:10 PM
I love reading about everybody here. Good thread, Cindy!

I have been married for 35 years (as of December 23rd) and have two daughters in their early thirties. One of my daughters, Lori (jl8595) got me hooked on this site. I am blessed with three beautiful granddaughters, Madeline (7-1/2) Abigail (4-1/2) and Mallory (4) (Madeline and Mallory are Lori's daughters). I also lay claim to my "adopted" granddaughter Tatiana (6-1/2) who is actually the adopted daughter of Lori's best friend.

I have been an RN for many years, 19 of them in ICU, and the past 3 years in a free-standing surgical center for the local hospital. My husband is a Health Physics Tech at a local Nuclear Power Company. He actually is one of the "computer guru's" for his department.

We have one dog named Holly who is an 11 year old Springer Mix. We are also owned by two cats: Zeus, who is a 23 pound Maine Coon cat wanna-be and 5 year old Murphy, a little skittish black and white tuxedo cat. Zeus rules the roost and goes to greet people at the front door. Since he is the size of a small to medium dog, we have to use a dog carrier to take him to the vet!:sunshine:

Blessing and Miracle
12-20-2007, 04:36 PM
icart = traci backwards

No that's too much info. I've always wondered how others came up with their names and what they meant.

Maybe we need a thread going for that. It could can also include the person's real name. Maybe I'll start one.

gpp2001
12-20-2007, 06:34 PM
I am also a SAHM but I'm suppose to be working - the plan was to go back to work part-time when DD went to 1st grade - well - she's in 2nd now. We have been trying to sell our house in Michigan for 20 months. DH has been in Los Angeles these past 20 months working for an Architectural Co that does Entertainment Design (ie theme parks). He is a designer, not an architect.

We have one child, DD 8. She's a great kid considering she has a psycho mom!!!

I love hearing about what everyone does!!

DisneyMa
12-20-2007, 07:06 PM
I am a 32 year old SAHM of 3 girls (12, 11, 7)

DH is a pasteurizer for a production plant.

We have been married for 14 years.

I love cars! I really LOVE cars. If money was no object, I would have a different car every year!

We have 2 cats and 1 big dog (who is scared of the dark:D)

I hate romance/chick movies! I think the more blood, guts, cussing, violence the better (for movies)

DH and I love football and have different teams we root for. The SuperBowl is a holiday in our house!

We live near the wine country and I can't stand wine. I would rather have a rum and coke.:trink4:

Every room in our house is decorate in Disney. Even the cars are adorned with Disney.

I have a tattoo (Disney of course!!)

Okay- I think I have told you all enough to stalk and kill me!!!

Jusacuz
12-20-2007, 07:34 PM
I am a stay at home mom. I did work in radio for a couple of years and loved it, but it didn't really pay any bills. Now I also homeschool one of my 4 kids. My dh is a journeyman electrician.

chipndale
12-20-2007, 08:15 PM
My husband is rocket scientist... really... he is working with the Mars Rovers. Faith

I bet you have a lot of people that don't believe you!

chipndale
12-20-2007, 08:17 PM
My Exdh is a jerk.:rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Thanks for the laugh!

chipndale
12-20-2007, 08:26 PM
I am a SAHM to two beautiful children adopted from Russia. Before we adopted our dd and ds, I worked for 6 years for the USPS. Yes, I was a postal employee! I can say that I enjoyed my job but not the 70 hours during the Holiday season!

My dh works for a home builder. He has been in the construction field and has done a little of everything - actually work on the houses, estimate the materials for a home, selling, and over seeing the construction of a house.

We have been married for 19 years. I met him in high school and was married shortly after that!

lmroyea
12-20-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm a manager at a credit union right now, but I'm an aspiring SAHM! That's always been my biggest career goal...now we just have to actually get pregnant. (I hope soon cause we've been trying for quite awhile) My DH is in industrial maintenance. To the best of my knowledge he fixes and maintains the machines that make tee shirts ( they have some big clients like Kohls and Steve and Barrys) BTW does anyone else not totally understand what their DH does everyday...all day long?:rotfl:

lanny76
12-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks everyone for sharing! I'm still pretty new so it's nice to get to know more about y'all.:)
About my name on here - lanny is my nickname, and 76 is cuz I was born then- 1976. Lanae is my real name.
My DH is 20 yrs older than me - 51st bday today - but he is a very young 51. Good thing too, since we just found out #3 is on the way, due in aug!
He spent 23 years doing missionary work; some in Central America. Now we've been married 4 yrs & he has a CCNA - certified as a computer network administrator, but actually works for the post office as an electronic technician.
I spent 3 yrs in missionary work; also have a diploma in medical coding. But my official role now is SAHM to my 3 yr old DS, and 9 1/2 month old DS, and to whatever this lil bean turns out to be! :baby:

Sunni
12-21-2007, 05:05 PM
I am a paraprofessional/paraeducator at an elementary school right here in town. I love my job especially since my children are all grown up. My oldest daughter and her fantastic husband just celebrated their 1st wedding anniversary. My other babies are my three dogs, Simon, Ruby and Ollie. My four fancy rats......(yeah I now....eeeeeeekkkkk LOL)......Jazzy, Jan, Fuzzy and Star. Oh and I can't for get my goldfish, Goldie (I know ...real original...lol)! My hubby is a manager for UPS.

sunshinecindy
12-21-2007, 05:38 PM
My hubby is a manager for UPS.

OOPs, don't read the thread above. :rotfl:

Sunni
12-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Too funny Cindy! :rotfl:

Kycha
12-21-2007, 11:54 PM
My four fancy rats......(yeah I now....eeeeeeekkkkk LOL)......Jazzy, Jan, Fuzzy and Star. .

What makes the rats fancy?
:sunshine2:

lmroyea
12-22-2007, 01:36 AM
icart = traci backwards

I was just chatting with you. I came back to look at what you wrote and I thought it was really funny. I used to drive a Saturn car, and since we sold it I've been driving our Ford F-150. I love being high up! I always said that, and now that DH wants to get a new car, I don't want to give the truck back!:rotfl:

jl8595
12-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Great thread - so much fun to learn a little more about everyone!

I'm a mom to 2 DD's (7 1/2 and 4, as my mom "Spring" has already detailed!). They are the best two little girls I could have ever begged for. :angel: I work full time as a financial analyst for a wonderful company headquartered in the silicon valley. I've been married to my DH for 12 years (got married in college). We met in Sep '04, started dating in Dec '04, got engaged in Feb '05, and got married in Aug '05 ("thus JL8595"). Why so fast? No clue! Just felt right...and he's still the love of my life! :love: He works three 12 hr night shifts each week as a sleep medicine professional and stays home during the day with our girls. The tough part is that I get home from work five minutes before he has to leave for work and he gets home from work in the morning two minutes before I have to leave for work...so during the week, we barely see each other. It can be crazy!

And of course, as many have seen on the Furbaby thread, I have 4 cats and a dog.

Thanks for sharing your stories everybody!! :sunshine:

speechteachri
12-22-2007, 09:30 AM
My screenname makes it pretty obvious what my profession is. My dh works at a local NBC affiliate here, which makes it difficult for me to get into surveys.

rygirlsmum
12-22-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm a SAHM of 3 - 14, 5, and 3. DH and I have been married since 7/01, and I also have an ex (who is also a jerk!). DH is a salesman for a national food purveyor; before that he was a chef for 15 years and then in sales for a few. He gave up the kitchen for family, but has found something where he can still use his skills.

Now that my 3YO is going to preschool PT, I can actually spend time helping in my 5YOs class and at church.

Oh yeah! DH is studying to be a pastor. He'll be finishing up his religion degree this year, and then he goes on to seminary.

We love living in Myrtle Beach (especially last week's 70 degree weather!), and hope we don't need to move TOO far when Kent finally gets the call to a congregation.

jakeandsophiesmom
12-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Where about in Myrtle? I'm from Spartanburg area and have been going to Myrtle my entire life. Just wouldn't be summer without at least a long weekend there.

missymouse
12-22-2007, 12:48 PM
I am a Speech Language Pathologist at one of the public middle schools. I love working with middle school kids, don't like dealing with some of the parents. It has been a very odd year this year with the parents. I work 21 hours per week M-Th and have off Friday.

My DH is an RF engineer and we have three kids DD-15 years (has learner's permit to drive), DS 13 , DS 9, one worthless dog Dalmador named Meeka (boy has she lived up to that name), and a 3 legged black Maine Coon Cat named Jinx which we recently adopted from a rescue. I will post pictures soon of my animals on the other thread.

zoodoyle
12-22-2007, 02:36 PM
I am a SAHM....until January 2nd, then I'm going back to work part-time as a veterinary assistant. Just decided that yesterday, and still a little nervous about the decision!! I have 3 kids, DD 7, DD 5 and DS 2 (today's his birthday :love: ). I've been married 10 years to my best friend, who works as a consultant for a spinal implant company. We have 2 dogs (one 85lbs. and growing, and the other 6lbs. and losing), and 1 cat, but I'll have to add them to the other thread as well. :sunshine:

rygirlsmum
12-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Where about in Myrtle? I'm from Spartanburg area and have been going to Myrtle my entire life. Just wouldn't be summer without at least a long weekend there.

I'm actually by the new Hard Rock Park. Next spring/summer will be fun!

jakeandsophiesmom
12-22-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm actually by the new Hard Rock Park. Next spring/summer will be fun!

We can't wait until it opens next year. It still seems weird not having the Pavilion to go to. Did they ever decide what they were going to do with that area?

rygirlsmum
12-22-2007, 06:05 PM
So far, that area is just growing in. I haven't heard much, but it looks like they are maybe leaving it open to just being a park. I think there is something still there. How sad is it that I haven't noticed? I don't actually drive by the land all that often, and when I do there is enough traffic that I can really look.

Some of the old rides are now over at Broadway at the Beach. I have to be careful when I want to stop by the Disney Store there, because if I park on that side of the water, my 3YO wants to go check it out, and I never really have that kind of time.

The cool thing about the Led Zep coaster at Hard Rock is that it's so QUIET. It's amazing!

jakeandsophiesmom
12-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Cool about the coaster! Sadly I'll be a solo rider on it, I married a wuss(shh! don't tell anyone:p ) Now I guess I need to go ahead and start planning our visit.. Hmm, maybe my son's travel ball team can get in on a tourney at Cal Ripken too.

dawgsgirl
12-22-2007, 07:06 PM
I work for the state government giving away your tax dollars! I am a food stamp/medicaid case manager. AND I am ready to retire!:cooldance:

Magical JenK
12-22-2007, 09:53 PM
I am a Speech Language Pathologist at one of the public middle schools. I love working with middle school kids, don't like dealing with some of the parents. It has been a very odd year this year with the parents. I work 21 hours per week M-Th and have off Friday.

My DH is an RF engineer and we have three kids DD-15 years (has learner's permit to drive), DS 13 , DS 9, one worthless dog Dalmador named Meeka (boy has she lived up to that name), and a 3 legged black Maine Coon Cat named Jinx which we recently adopted from a rescue. I will post pictures soon of my animals on the other thread.

I can't wait to see photos of your furbabies Pam! But selfishly, I want you to post photos of yourself on the Picture Thread too! I want to see what my Secret Santa draw & great Birthday present giver looks like!! :p

http://www.sunshinerewardsforum.com/showthread.php?t=1883&page=19

nurseminnie76
12-23-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm an RN. I used to work in CS for a seal manufacturer before I started Nursing School in 2000 when my oldest DD was about 9months old. After finishing school and going to work, I discovered I don't really like nursing after all ..... :( I tried being a SAHM this past summer after my DS was born. I quickly learned that was not for me either. My DH, a Technology Manager for a gasket manufacturer that services the refining industry (oil, gas, chemical plants), travels frequently. DD7, DD almost 3, and a newborn DS on my own 24/7 was just more than my sanity could handle :rotfl: . I went to work for a Medicare HMO company in their coding dept in October and I love my current job. I'm an Education Rep which means I spend alot of time on the road in the greater Houston area visiting with DR's and auditing their charts.

nurseminnie76
12-23-2007, 11:16 AM
I am a SAHM. Trained as a registered nurse, but haven't practiced in over 15years. We have a DS9, DS8, and DD7 who keep me very busy! DH is a Mechanical Engineer for Parker Hannifin. His division designs and manufactures wheels and brakes for aircraft. He is also becoming involved in their wind turbine division and his job could move solely to that in the upcoming months.

Small world Jill -- my MIL works for Parker Hannifin. She is the CSM for the EPO division. She is based out of the Nacogdoches, TX office but also spends alot of time in the Salt Lake City office. DH used to be in Sales in the O-Ring Division. I used to work in the CS dept and in Marketing before I became a nurse. At the time that I worked there, it was called JM Clipper and Parker has since bought out the previous company.

JillyFish
12-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Small world Jill -- my MIL works for Parker Hannifin. She is the CSM for the EPO division. She is based out of the Nacogdoches, TX office but also spends alot of time in the Salt Lake City office. DH used to be in Sales in the O-Ring Division. I used to work in the CS dept and in Marketing before I became a nurse. At the time that I worked there, it was called JM Clipper and Parker has since bought out the previous company.

Small world? Yes.....and no! They buy out EVERYTHING it seems! It's such a huge company! DH is in Avon, Ohio at the wheel and brake division. It used to be Cleveland Wheel and Brake. He made a trip out to Salt Lake City one time this year.....not sure what for. I mostly just smile and nod. :blush:
:rotfl:

rjk
12-23-2007, 11:14 PM
I love this thread. I've enjoyed reading about everyone.

I, with my DH, own and operate a group home for 8 developmentally disabled adults. The group home is right next door to our family home. At home DH, myself, DD18, DD 16 also have two adult foster ladies who are developmentally disabled, ages 66 and 43.

JillyFish
12-23-2007, 11:21 PM
I love this thread. I've enjoyed reading about everyone.

I, with my DH, own and operate a group home for 8 developmentally disabled adults. The group home is right next door to our family home. At home DH, myself, DD18, DD 16 also have two adult foster ladies who are developmentally disabled, ages 66 and 43.

Wow! I'm sure it's a challenge, but that's awesome!!

mollyeilis
12-24-2007, 01:26 AM

Ooh I lived in Spartanburg for awhile. When I say what I am/was you'll know why I was there. :) Bet you can already figure it out!

I'm a travel agent, specializing in what else, but Disney. I'm also a stay at home, homeschooling mom so yes, I think I've lost my mind.:p

Ooh what a fun combination!

icart = traci backwards

Teehee. I miss my Jetta, it was my first car (though since it was a lease it wasn't ever MINE).

********* (am putting the important parts in bold)
I used to be a chiropractor (jakeandsophiesmom, didya guess it right?), but after 5 long years of making no money, being supported by my mom, and having practice members (AKA patients) complain that I charged too little (I charged $20, which was the amount of the usual co-pay at the time, because I didn't want to deal with peoples' insurance), and put me on a pedestal that I didn't want to be on (I would say "you're chiropractically fine" and they would hear "you're fine", and since my mom had just died due to a medical error I did NOT want them to just ignore anything that might be bothering them b/c they mis-heard me)....I left my practice. Went to work in CS at amazon.com, met Robert (who had just been promoted to be one of my Leads and reviewers). Got engaged, moved in, he moved out, I moved in, I quit Amazon, tried to work at drugstore.com, they were idiots so I quit, temped some, got too frazzled....wedding was coming up, I became a SAHF, got married, got pregnant, I would have fallen asleep in any job interview I might have tried, didn't get a job, had Eamon, and am now at home with him with a view towards homeschooling. And I learned about homeschooling in chiropractic school, so while sometimes that feels like a waste, I'm able to take care of my family's spines and I found out about homeschooling! :)

Whew!

cglaura
12-24-2007, 07:13 PM
This thread has been such a great read!

I'm 38 single/divorced WAHM. I have been homeschooling my dd/15 since she was three. I've been divorced since she was 5, and I was very lucky to have my wah career fall in my lap (I hadn't worked since I was pregnant six years before and was in a panic). I have a friend who owns a local web site and graphics company, so when I was floundering through my post-divorce :cry: doom-and-despair-its-the-end-of-the-world, he installed some programs on my computer as something to distract me and I just took to it so well I started working for him! So my career for the past 10 years has been homeschool during the day and working at home on websites and graphics at night. I take part time jobs here and there when the ex is MIA, but for the main part I'm at home.

My username cglaura: cg=Cape Graphics, my job and Laura is my name.

arob414
12-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Been out of the loop for the past month, due to internet issues and Christmas stuff, but I loved reading this thread, just now.

I am an RN, work a combination Nursery/Special Care Nursery and that is where I am, this morning. I have been a nurse for almost 29 years. Yes, I am old. But, only my body and luckily I have my mom's genes so I don't look my age and to my mom's utter disgust (sometimes) I don't act it. So, I really think I should lie about age when doing surveys because they won't get the response of a 52 year old.

I have two beautiful daughters that are the love of my life, ages 12 and nearly 10. :love: They are at Grandma's practicing on their new guitars so they can play me a song, when I get home. :rolleyes: They were a gift thru artificial insemination and a wonderful doctor. I am still looking for Mr. Right, have you seen him? My friends say I am too picky.

I also have 4 more "kids", a 11 yr old shi tzu (Mandy) and 3 kitties (Cookie, Angel - who isn't and Shadow). My dog is asleep, I am sure and the cats are probably stalking their new toys. Shadow, who is a big doll baby, thinks he is a mountain lion and likes to growl at his toys. :rotfl:

jakeandsophiesmom
12-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Ooh I lived in Spartanburg for awhile. When I say what I am/was you'll know why I was there. :) Bet you can already figure it out!

Sherman College of Straight Chiropractic!!:) I've known several people that went there! Small world, huh!

mollyeilis
12-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Ayep. :) :sunshine:

pbhall13
12-29-2007, 12:07 PM
This thread is great.......

I am a SAHM (sort of ) to my 2 girls Sydney (8) and Sadie (turning 5 in 3 weeks). Before the girls I worked in Higher Education as the Associate Director of Admissions at a local college, but then had my first daughter and said goodbye to the job. I then started to tutor for a local tutoring company once oldest turned one and now 7 years later I have my own tutoring business (which really came about once I got divorced and still wanted to be home for the girls for school things, but still wanted to provide for them) I have to say I love it............I actually have to turn away new clients because there just isn't enough time in the day/week to fit them all in. Once Sadie is in school full time for a few years I will then start looking for jobs as a Guidance Counselor (I am certified in grades 5 - 12) and that new journey will begin!!!

askomsky
01-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Man I'm bummed I missed this! I know why, I'm so addicted to SR that I feel like I never have enough time to check out all the other fourms other then the top main ones! lol

This has been cool to sit back and read about everyone that I've been "talking" to the last 4 months. I also just found the picture thread which is awesome and I'm slowly paging through that!

Anywho..... I'm 33 and a SAHM for the most part. DH is 40 and a computer programmer for Siemens. I used to work there until our 2nd child was born. So my degree is also in computer programming. I did it for 6 yrs total.
We have DS 8.5 DD5 and DD4 (girls are 13 months apart). I do work PT doing Accounting type work, (AR, AP, payroll etc) for ofconcepts (I work with parties by catharine and got her hooked!) It's great bc the boss having 3 daugthers knows the demands of children so I pretty much can make my own hours as long as certain things get done. My girls are in preschool MWF so that's usually when I go in.

We live in Phoenixville, PA. I'm originally from L. Bucks PA which was literally a stone's throw from Burlington NJ and DH is from Pennsauken NJ. we've been together for 10yrs.

This was really fun!

Pooh's Pal
01-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Hi all..I'm Deb and I'm a single mom of daughter who happens to be a senior in college! and heading to grad school after that!! (so she can take care of me when I'm old and grey, not that I ain't already!!)

I live on Cape Cod (that's up here in Massachusetts) and I just got rid of my big old house and down-sized to a small 2 bedroom condo...and I'll tell you, I'm loving condo life!

I have been here on Cape Cod since 1977 (formally of Western MA.) when I took a job as a flight attendant with a small commuter airline, then they went defunct after De-regulation in 1981 and went into the restaurant business. (same thing only on land!) had been a waitress/bartender/manager for a small mom & pop operation for 22 years till 2004 and then went into mangagement for corporate restaurant business (for the bennies!) Yes, I work for one of the big chains, lots of hours, not much pay, but good benefits!

I travel to Walt Disney World at least once a year, my best friend bought into DVC and when her hubby doesn't want to go (crazy, I know) I usually go!! I love Sunshining (and getting those Disney rewards!) so much during my at home hours, that I received a new computer chair for Christmas from my daughter and I bought a new computer for myself for Christmas....finally upgraded from Windows 98! Now I can get serious about rewards!! :)

Nice to meet you all and Happy Sunshining!!

pbhall13
01-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi Deb............nice to meet someone else here from Massachusetts........don't you just love the Cape!!!! My best friend just moved off Cape (I am use to go down every few weeks with my girls). I just love it there in the winter (I know a bit different from everyone elses feelings, but not all the traffic!)

Hope your new chair is a good one............this SR'ing can be addicting (as I am sure you know!)

Pamela

thevacationer
01-10-2008, 12:23 AM
I've been a high school English teacher for the past 15 years; however, what I'd really like to do is stay at home.:)