PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Trip

howdyfrtx
12-31-2007, 12:10 AM
We are planning on going to WDW in 2008 only if I could find a good deal. That’s the only way DH will let us go. I’m wondering how some of you found your good deals. Was it through a travel agent? I’ve never worked with a travel agent okay let’s be honest I’ve only been to WDW once. Sept of 2006 and my trip was pretty much free. We just needed spending money. So, my DH is having a hard time with us spending all this $$ at WDW. We’re use to traveling out of state and staying with family. So, we never had a big expensive vacation. I keeping flashing him all my Disney gift cards and he’s very impressed with the $450 I do have but I would love to present him with an awesome deal and for him to say yeah that’s a great deal…we shouldn’t pass that up. I know about the Free Dining in Sept and I just got my Disney Visa card (and my $50 Gift Card for getting one) but was wondering do they offer codes plus the free dining? The Disney codes how much off of the room do they usually offer?

Anyone’s own experience or suggestion is much appreciated.

Hedy
12-31-2007, 12:14 AM
I had a code through Disney Visa-running the #'s, it looked like I saved around 30% off my room. It was then opened to the public later that week. My suggestion would be to find when you think you'll go, and subscribe to that code thread on the DIS (if you DIS).
Also look at AAA room-only rates, and renting DVC points.

ligrumpygirl
12-31-2007, 12:18 AM
I have DVC so I can't help you there but when it comes to free/cheap things to do I can help out! Let me know what you need!

linanglab
12-31-2007, 12:21 AM
We have never found a deal, unfortunately. We have to go in the summer - and during July 4th week because of DH work and the kids' school. Being a family of 5, we stay at Port Orleans, which is our cheapest choice. Since you are a family of 4, you can stay at a value if you do not mind tight quarters (we do not mind it). Also use AAA which saves about 10-15 percent.

My sister is going this year and is going to listen to a time share thing and they, in turn, will be giving them a few nights at a hotel and a couple days worth of Disney tix. Personally, I don't like that idea, but it is something that would only take a couple hours for some free stuff.

If you can go in off peak time, that is the best. But if your kids are in school, that makes it rough. Keep working hard on SR and keep applying for contests for free trips (Mousesavers.com has those listed).

Good luck! If you find a deal, pass it on! Maybe you will get a code in the mail which would save you some $$!

Blessing and Miracle
12-31-2007, 12:29 AM
To me there is nothing more important than family vacation. It's a must around here, and you are right they are very expensive!!! Especially, for a family of eight like us!! We went this pass July and did five theme parks!! And, I wasn't a part of SR then. :( We originally wanted to stay on one of the Disney properties, but with late planning, everything was booked. We did, however, find a brand new beautiful condo property that was unbelievably affordable. We only needed one suite. Whereas, we normally need two rooms. We stayed there for seven nights for a steal!! Staying on the property would have been nice, but being at the theme parks all day and all night, we wouldn't have had the opportunity to enjoy a Disney property anyway. So there are other ways you can cut out expenses and that was a huge one for us.

Good luck!

bs4free
12-31-2007, 12:32 AM
as far as i know in the past you could not get others deals and the free dinning, which was ok since the free dinning saved us alot of money we have gone ever sept they have offered free dining and it has been great, but it looks like 2008 we may not be making it back:(

mousesavers and dis are very good to find out about new deals and what you can do! BTW your disney visa earns you 1% and you get 6 months intress free to pay it off which is nice!

Magical JenK
12-31-2007, 12:40 AM
While I do use a TA (AAA), I find that I know of specials & discounts before she does, so I don't think TAs have a better opportunity than you for discounts. Changing ressies may be easier to go through them, but overall, I think wdwinfo.com & the disboards are a GREAT source for codes & rumors of codes.

I'd HIGHLY recommend checking out the Code thread over there & either get in on a thread that people are posting to for the month you're thinking of going or start reading, reading, reading!!

The last 3 years we were lucky enough to get in on the free dining they offered (we go in Sept). That's a great deal if you are planning on getting the dining plan. Otherwise, we're AAA members so that's usually 20% off room (but you can only get one discount...so be sure to crunch your numbers if you are comparing codes or discounts).

Some people have luck w/calling Disney & asking if they have any codes attached to their name/number or if there are any discounts for the dates you are planning on going. Last year, there was a code for 40% off room rates...which caused quite a stir on the disboards...but some people got it w/o a PIN code (either mailed or emailed to them) & some did not.

I think a lot of people do not know there are discounts/codes/etc that Disney offers, which is why the disboards are so great! I've learned a lot over there. But just a word of caution (if you didn't already know), there are lots of "I called & the CM said codes were coming out"....take those at face value & don't be worried that you didn't get a code...chances are most codes are made public.

I think Mousesavers has a section where it lists when prior years' discounts were available and that may help you find out when discounts were offered in the past for the dates you want to go. (Does that make sense??) Mousesavers also has a newsletter that will let you know discounts & rumors of upcoming discounts too (if they know of it).

Mousesavers also lists other discount codes for offsite hotels & rental cars too! Allearsnet.com also has a newsletter for Hot Deals or something like that.

Have a great time planning & searching for the best deal!! That's my favorite part of the pre-trip!! :0)

spring
12-31-2007, 01:18 AM
I'm pretty sure January is Disney month at AAA. That's when you can get special deals through them. Can't hurt to try. Good luck!:sunshine:

howdyfrtx
12-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks for your guy’s response. I do check on the DIS board and I am signed up for the Mousesavers but I wasn’t for Allears so I did that this morning. We don’t belong to AAA so we could us that. I’m thinking that we may go in September and I will cross my fingers and look out for the free dining. I too just realized that we have two free American Airlines tickets that we can also us. Anyone that has used the free dining could you tell me how hard it is to get the hotel you want with the free dining? Did you call the first day it was available to visa card holders or the public?

bs4free
12-31-2007, 06:34 PM
I called first thing on Visa Member day! I waited on hold for 2hours! and did not get the resort i wanted! I wait 3 weeks until everything paned out becuase people had booked before the code and then rebooked with the code and could not get the same hotel and it was a big mess so i let it settel down called back need to place ADR's anyway! and asked if i could change hotels they looked it up and i got the Movies like i wanted i had POP, would have been happy at pop too!
HTH!

Magical JenK
12-31-2007, 06:55 PM
Since free dining has been aniticipated the last 2 years...everyone waiting & then on the phone IMMEDIATELY when announced...I'd suggest calling the FIRST day it is available to you and be prepared (& ok with) having a 2nd or 3rd choice hotel or dates. (OR have a TA call/book it for you. Leaves you free of the 2 hour phone wait aggrivation??)

There are only so many rooms allotted for each discount (x # of rooms for free dining, x # of rooms for AAA disct, etc), so while online it may show there is King room available for POFQ, there may not be a King room on the AAA discount or free dining. Does that make sense? That's the issue we ran into last year. Wanted a king room at CSR & never could get it. (Although that may be more because it's convention hotel not because of free dining....although we did try for POFQ but I digress.)

I think you're good to go if you're on the disboards, looking at Mousesavers & AllEars...btw...I LOVE all ears for menus & the photos of the resorts!! AWESOME!!

And my personal opinion is that they will offer free dining again this year. They offered the bounceback again this year for it & I just think they'll do it again....just remember the dining plan has changed for 2008 so you'll have to pay out of pocket for your tips, so while it's still a great deal, it may not be as convenient as it once was. (Although we always tipped more than the 15-17% Disney automatically included.)

Have fun!! Do you know where you want to stay???