PDA

View Full Version : YIPPPPEEEEE!! Thinking I'll be in WDW for my bday in '08...looking for advice!!!

Magical JenK
12-31-2007, 02:54 AM
Ok, I'm super excited to say that I MAY be in Disney for my bday next year! Due to DH's work we can't go during September like we normally do, so we were thinking of doing mid-November w/his sister's family (our trips will overlap a few days). But recently we all watched the new Disney special on Travel Channel w/Samantha Brown (is that her name??) & then the Christmas parade & it really got me thinking....what's 4 more weeks? I mean, if we're going to be there in mid-November...why not go mid-December??

So here's my question to any of you who have been or know what to expect in December at Disney....I'm thinking we'll be there December 9th-19th & I'd like to go to MVMCP one night too. Since we're used to after Labor Day crowds (i.e. non-existent), what CAN we expect? I thought I heard that after Thanksgiving, but before Christmas are still good/low crowds?? What about Pop Warner?? Does that impact the parks at all? I think our dates will over lap by a few days w/Pop Warner. (We're planning on staying at CSR or POFQ.)

Because we've been so spoiled w/the low crowds in September, I'm wondering if going in December would be a mistake or if we would be better off going in November...but missing my bday.

I haven't done any real searches on disboards for trip reports or anything for those dates yet, but I will. Just thought I'd check here first.

Thanks in advance!

Kycha
12-31-2007, 03:47 AM
But recently we all watched the new Disney special on Travel Channel w/Samantha Brown (is that her name??) & then the Christmas parade & it really got me thinking....what's 4 more weeks? I mean, if we're going to be there in mid-November...why not go mid-December??

That Samantha Brown special got me too!:rotfl: I wanted to celebrate my 40th birthday at WDW in Sept. But, I saw that special and that changed everything. I still haven't fully made up my mind. I'm still waiting to see if there will be free dining this year.

Anyway...DH and I took my DMil Dec 4-18 in 2004. Each day we were there, the crowds got progressively smaller and smaller. Until, they were non-existent. The crowd levels were way below what we have experienced in September. Make sure to bring some heavy sweatshirts. There were some days that were downright cold. We were usually at the parks first thing in the morning. So, it would be considerably warmer when we got back to our hotel in the afternoon. Just in time to hit the pool.

I'm not sure exactly what time frame the Pop Warner kids are down there. But, it seemed they were gone by the second week(12-18). And even so, the only time we saw them, was back at Pop Century. Every morning the cheerleaders would practice their cheers right outside our door. I would have been a seriously unhappy camper if I weren't already awake to hit the parks. Then we would see them in the morning at the food court and in the evening at the pool. Since you are staying at a mod, they should not have much impact at all. There was only one time we saw Pop Warner kids in the parks...it was at MGM during EMH one night. It was easy to tell they were Pop Warner cause the boys all had their football jerseys on and the girls were doing cheers. I know a lot of people find the kids disruptive or unruly. But, we never experienced that. In fact, I found them enthusiastic and excited to be there.

bs4free
12-31-2007, 04:22 AM
I just have to say WOOT!

Ok I will say some more....

I too Just love the Disney Christmas Specials and the Samatha Brown ones are the best I truley Love this new one, I would so like to go down to DW during christmas!

I do not know how decorated the parks will be but i think the MVMCP starts the second friday/saturday in NOV.. so you may beable to do christmas at disney in Nov, but Christmas, Disney, and your B-DAY well who would not love to do that!!!!!

linanglab
12-31-2007, 08:33 AM
I cant add anything except....YIPPEE for you! I know you had wanted to go that time of year for awhile. For your b-day AND over Christmas time! I am so glad you will be able to enjoy all of the holiday decorations!

speechteachri
12-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Oh Jen, I have to say...I'm so jealous of your even maybe going in December! I would LOVE to go then! I've actually been thinking of maybe planning a quick 3 day trip for next year, just to see the decorations and such I think would be so much fun! Unfortunately, one of the downfalls of being a teacher is you are tied to Disney vacations along with everyone else on school vacations with all the crowds. I hope you can do it!!!

The only think I can add, is thet I did visit Florida (Tampa area) once in December, toward the beginning of the month, when dd was only 7 months old (she is 10 now). I recall being surprised how cold and damp it was, so make sure you go prepared. I think a lot more luggage would definately be in order going at that time of year.

jakeandsophiesmom
12-31-2007, 10:28 AM
:woohoo: Super excited for you!! Everyone should make their DH's watch that Samantha Brown show, that's what got mine to say yes to a Dec. visit!

If you do get to go in Dec, we'll be there 18-26 (although I'm pushing for another day or two), so maybe we can meet up!!

3dog2kidmom
12-31-2007, 10:44 AM
Jen, our very first trip was at Christmas --- Christmas week!! I would go back then every year if we could. You're going to love it! The decorations are amazing, and the Christmas feel is REALLY in the air! The crowds shouldn't be that bad --- they get progressively worse as you get to Christmas week. Probably not as low as September but it is SOOO worth it :)

Happy planning!!

Hedy
12-31-2007, 10:46 AM
I was there approx. then (12/8-12/15I this year. I've only been during peak season, but I really didn't think the crowds were bad. The only day I really encountered Pop overflow was on Saturday, I took a bus to the MK and it was packed, plus POFQ held cheerleader overflow.
MVMCP is totally worth it.

jnorth1007
12-31-2007, 11:17 AM
I went 12/9 - 12/16 this year. I can't say I really saw any POP crowds. I don't know if they left before we got there or what. The parks were basically uncrowded. We didn't wait long for any rides and we didn't feel crowded out. I do know that some of the MVMCP's for that week were sold out and we decided not to try it this year since the kids probably couldn't make it that late. We did however go to MK that day and we got SO much done. We rode all the rides and we were able to get a million autographs and we had dinner at Crystal Palace. It was really nice and we seemed to be leaving around 6:30 as the crowds were showing up. I loved this time of year so much for going but my only issue is that it made the week of my return HELL! There just wasn't enough time between the trip and Christmas. Next time I will do the week after Thanksgiving or the 1st week of December. The weather was wonderful too. No rain, warm enough for shorts all the time and a cool breeze most mornings while touring.

faithhope
12-31-2007, 11:57 AM
We go every year in early December. The room rates are lower, the crowds are low...the weather is variable. Check a calendar to find out when the December value rate is valid...

The weather a couple of years ago was very cold (40s) to this year (80s)... so you never know.

This year is the most empty we have seen the park in the past 7 years...we "won" fast passes to all the rides... and we didn't use them... no point... a couple of rides didn't even have the fast pass lane open.

We enjoyed the lights in Disney Hollywood (MGM) and the castle lights in MK (the best), but didn't go to christmas party...

I've never been any other time of the year...so I can't compare the crowds... I'm sure this info is on some site...

cglaura
12-31-2007, 12:21 PM
I was there 12/4 to 12/12 this year, so I had half a week w/ Pop Warner. The only time I ever noticed them was on Saturday night, and it wasn't anything bad, just large groups of well behaved but giddy and excited teens. They go left, you go right! I should have know better than to go to a park on a Saturday night anyway!

We stayed at Pop Century, and I didn't see any groups there.

The crowds were slightly more than I remember in past years, but nothing horrible. We never waited more than 20 minutes for anything. And the 20 minutes were for the biggies like Soarin. We walked onto Expidition Everest, went through and did it twice!

It is lovely in WDW at Chrismas, MVMCP was fantastic, you should definitely go!

It makes you goofy and kid-like!!

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb299/disavhelpu/100_0418Small.jpg

And the pretty castle!

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb299/disavhelpu/100_0464Small.jpg

JillyFish
12-31-2007, 05:01 PM
Jen, I have absolutely NO answers to any of your questions :rotfl: .... but I am so excited for you!! I hope it all works out. That would be so cool!

Blessing and Miracle
12-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Yiiippppeeee, I'm so excited for you!! I hope everything works out like you want it too!

howdyfrtx
12-31-2007, 05:32 PM
What great news!! I’ve never been in December so I really don’t have any advice but I am jealous that you’ll be there with all the beautiful Christmas decorations.

Lisaj68
01-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Jen, our very first trip was at Christmas --- Christmas week!! I would go back then every year if we could. You're going to love it! The decorations are amazing, and the Christmas feel is REALLY in the air! The crowds shouldn't be that bad --- they get progressively worse as you get to Christmas week. Probably not as low as September but it is SOOO worth it :)

Happy planning!!

I second this! We just returned from a 12/20-12/29 trip and yes, the crowds got progressively larger, but we never waited more than 15 minutes for a ride or show. Well, except the one day I told DH to get in the "singles" line for rock-n-roll @ mgm. Shoulda told him fastpass.

Anyway, the weather was awesome for us, but of course, it is subject to change! In fact, today it is 38 in Orlando!!!!!

I hope it all works out for you, Jen !