PDA

View Full Version : cancelling our trip

coastalgirl
01-04-2008, 06:20 PM
So, with less than a month before we are suppose to leave, DH and I have decided that this may not be the best time for us to go. Our oldest will be turning 18 when we go, and over the holidays he told us he was very serious about going into the Navy and would be signing his papers on his birthday. I am proud of him.
But, in my head at the same time it is Mardi Gras time and his birthday plus the kids are out of school and I could just see the parties at my house in my head. So we are going to put it off for awhile and go from there. I am sad and the kids are devastated. But I really love my house and I know what I would have done had I been left alone with no school, my birthday and it was Mardi Gras. And I know they are going to do what they want anyway, but at least not in my house! :rotfl:
Maybe, since it was already paid for I will just put it all towards a smaller trip in the fall. Or maybe the cruise !!!Who knows:confused: Plus we were just there in May and then April before that so it is not like the kids have not gone.

bs4free
01-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Sorry your not getting to go, but i like the idea of the curise or a smaller fall trip!!!!

I hope everything works out!

ItsmeSunnyV
01-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Hey Lydia, being the great friend that I am...I have a wonderful idea!!:giggle: I'll go for you (since it's all paid off)!! :woohoo: LOL:rotfl: Problem solved. hehe :)

linanglab
01-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Sorry you have to cancel your trip, but you are probably making a very wise decision. Sometimes being the adult stinks.....And congrats to your son. You must be VERY proud!

Magical JenK
01-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Sorry you aren't going, but you clearly sound ok w/it. I was afraid to read your post at first because if it were mine & I wasn't able to go, I'd probably be crying!! And thank you & your DH for raising a very nice young man.

coastalgirl
01-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Sorry you aren't going, but you clearly sound ok w/it. I was afraid to read your post at first because if it were mine & I wasn't able to go, I'd probably be crying!! And thank you & your DH for raising a very nice young man.

If he was such a NICE young man I would not be afraid to leave my house!!:rotfl:

coastalgirl
01-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Hey Lydia, being the great friend that I am...I have a wonderful idea!!:giggle: I'll go for you (since it's all paid off)!! :woohoo: LOL:rotfl: Problem solved. hehe :)

It would fit your family perfectly. All yall would need is airfare and ME!!

ItsmeSunnyV
01-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Me meaning YOU or ME meaning Magical express? :rotfl: LOL

coastalgirl
01-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Me meaning YOU or ME meaning Magical express? :rotfl: LOL

I meant Magical Express, but now that you mention it maybe me too!!! :rotfl:

chipndale
01-05-2008, 01:05 AM
So sorry to hear that you are cancelling you trip. I agree that sometimes doing the adult thing just plain stinks.

linanglab
01-05-2008, 09:42 AM
If he was such a NICE young man I would not be afraid to leave my house!!:rotfl:

THAT is funny. You can raise a child PERFECTLY, and sometimes they just like to do their own thing! I have seen it with my neices and nephews.

My oldest is 13 and my youngest is in 1st grade. I think about going back to work, but DH and I think I shouldn't because sometimes it is when they are older that you have to keep an eye on them more! LOL So, I will only go back to work if I can find a school job where I can be off when they are. The secretary job may be coming available, and I may apply for that. But it has been 14 years since I have worked outside the home.....but I think it would be fun working at the school....

Hope your next trip will be WONDERFUL! It will be worth it.

3dog2kidmom
01-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Lydia, I am sorry you don't get to go right now, but WDW will still be there in the fall. And it might be a nice thing to be around with your DS when he signs his papers. You must be proud of him!

nolacindy
01-06-2008, 01:52 PM
:( I feel for ya. Why is it these decisions always have to be made at the last minute after everything has been all planned out? This just means you can hit some of the Mardi Gras festivities around home and plan an even better trip later on.

coastalgirl
01-07-2008, 09:45 AM
THAT is funny. You can raise a child PERFECTLY, and sometimes they just like to do their own thing! I have seen it with my neices and nephews.

My oldest is 13 and my youngest is in 1st grade. I think about going back to work, but DH and I think I shouldn't because sometimes it is when they are older that you have to keep an eye on them more! LOL So, I will only go back to work if I can find a school job where I can be off when they are. The secretary job may be coming available, and I may apply for that. But it has been 14 years since I have worked outside the home.....but I think it would be fun working at the school....

Hope your next trip will be WONDERFUL! It will be worth it.

I think personally, that around 12-13 is when you need to be there to watch them more. I saw a huge change in my son just from the time he got out of
6th grade and the time he got out of 7th. He had new friends, was more mouthy with us. At least I was there in the afternoons when he came home so there was not a chance of anything going on. Ughh and the whole girlfriend thing started seriously in 7th grade. It was just awful. I am glad I was here so that when he came home it was not all girls on the phone and myspace. Plus he did not have the neighborhood in my house. :rotfl:

Good luck with job at the school. I know our school has hired alot of the SAHM's over the years. They all seem to love it!!

linanglab
01-07-2008, 09:52 AM
I think personally, that around 12-13 is when you need to be there to watch them more. I saw a huge change in my son just from the time he got out of
6th grade and the time he got out of 7th. He had new friends, was more mouthy with us. At least I was there in the afternoons when he came home so there was not a chance of anything going on. Ughh and the whole girlfriend thing started seriously in 7th grade. It was just awful. I am glad I was here so that when he came home it was not all girls on the phone and myspace. Plus he did not have the neighborhood in my house. :rotfl:

Good luck with job at the school. I know our school has hired alot of the SAHM's over the years. They all seem to love it!!

Totally agree with being home when they are "maturing" even more than when they are little - if able. I have been blessed that I have been able to stay at home all of these years, and still can. It would just be better financially to work. I do babysit some, but that can get....well....you know. My 7th grader has had a girlfriend - the same one - for 2 TWO years!!!! She is nice and all...but....does he REALLY need a girlfriend???? Apparently. So, I WILL be home when he is. So school is my only option at this time. Have a great day!!!!

LCS3
01-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Sorry to hear about the cancelled trip. Sometimes making the hard decisions works out much better in the end. This will give you time to save up/earn up a little more money for some extra special fun! A big THANK YOU to your son for his willingness to serve our country!