PDA

View Full Version : My dh can't believe I did this...

rygirlsmum
01-06-2008, 09:54 PM
The other day I went to WalMart and I needed fabric, as I was recovering the arms of our office chair - and the kids had already removed the old padding and I felt the chair was no longer safe. So I go, pick out this cool durable fabric and there is no one working in the dept. I find a note to go to shoes, so off I go - 6 times! There is no one there, as well as layaway, and both people at electronics have lines. I find someone walking to the back and ask her to page someone - she said she would, but I never hear a page. After about 20 minutes I picked up the phone and started dialing all the depts in the store - no answer. I was considering paging someone myself, but then I started checking out the handheld scanner thingy they use in that dept. No Problem! I cut my fabric, scanned the barcode, put in my measurement, and printed out my own price tag. I pinned it to my fabric and went on my happy way.

Kent was so happy he wasn't with me, but the arms on the chair look great!

That's what WalMart gets for crappy customer service.

jnorth1007
01-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I SOOOOOOOOOOOOO would have done this. I can't stand places that make like a zillion dollars a year but can't have someone working in each department for each shift. Yay you I am proud of you sista!!!!!!!!!

missangie
01-06-2008, 10:09 PM
That's so great! I love it--LOL!! I think sometimes you just have to take control of the situation. If you want something done and done right, you have to just do it yourself!! You go Girl.

sunshinecindy
01-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Now THATS self checkout.

Magical JenK
01-06-2008, 10:49 PM
:rotfl: that cracks me up! I'm glad you did that though...I probably would have left & then been upset & THEN would have thought, "you know what I should have done is scan the stuff myself..." But I'm a chicken & wouldn't have done it...good for you!!

chipndale
01-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Great Job! It seems like Walmart has less and less employees working in the store every time I go in there. I am so proud of you. If my DH was with you, he would have told the cashier all about it when you checked out. We went in one night late before Christmas and after standing in the 20 items or less for over 30 minutes, he had enough. A manager happened to walk by and make the comment that they needed to get some more people to run a register. DH tells her -"How about you? Wait, let me guess you have no clue how to actually run one - you just work here." She didn't know what to say but she did admit that she was never trained how to run the registers!

Blessing and Miracle
01-06-2008, 10:53 PM
All I can say is:WOOT! Gotta love it!

m 'n c
01-07-2008, 12:22 AM
I don't blame you. My mom and I tried once to get ribbon at walmart and no one ever showed up to cut for us.

I don't know the time of day you went and the business factor but Mike's sister works PT at Walmart in that department and its one of the first that gets called to "abandon" the department and start checking people out up front when it gets busy which she hates because she loves her department and that's the reason she chose to go to work there.

bs4free
01-07-2008, 08:48 AM
All I can say is:WOOT! Gotta love it!
Hey That was going to be my line....

So Ditto...

tommygirl79
01-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Good for you!!! I'm sure the handheld thingy CAN'T be that hard since some of the people that work there....oh nevermind!

Anyhow, I would never have done that but I applaud you for doing it. I'm too much of a goody two shoes for my own good sometimes and am always afraid of getting in "trouble" or something. (What are they gonna do, turn me in to the police and put bamboo shoots under my fingernails?)

Good effort!!!:sunshine2:

gpp2001
01-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Good for you!! But I would have walked out and never returned!! (oh, wait I did that !!) I will not shop at Walmart! My DSis wanted a comforter for Xmas - the one she liked was at Walmart - she apologized because she knows my feelings about the place but I ordered it through SR and picked it up at the store (to get the free shipping!) - I walked in, picked it up, and left!! I still get the heebie jeebies thinking about going in there!!

Sorry to vent - I just have very strong feelings about Walmart!!

Riyaa
01-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Great Job! It seems like Walmart has less and less employees working in the store every time I go in there. I am so proud of you. If my DH was with you, he would have told the cashier all about it when you checked out. We went in one night late before Christmas and after standing in the 20 items or less for over 30 minutes, he had enough. A manager happened to walk by and make the comment that they needed to get some more people to run a register. DH tells her -"How about you? Wait, let me guess you have no clue how to actually run one - you just work here." She didn't know what to say but she did admit that she was never trained how to run the registers!
Whoa. That's not always true, though. My cousin got hired with corporate (about a year ago) and part of her training has been learning everyone's jobs. She's even had to do a ride-along with truck drivers. She's had to manage both a Wal-Mart and a Sam's Club, too.

Anyway, back to the orininal issue. If it had been me, I would have left what I was trying to buy on the counter, walked out, and gone to JoAnn's.

eaglesdare
01-07-2008, 02:06 PM
now that is priceless!

spring
01-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Honestly, I think you should send this story to Walmart Management, like Corporate Headquarters. Or dial 1-800-WALMART (just kidding, I don't know if that's their phone number or not, but it should be!) I think it would shake them up!

Actually, in addition to what you did do, I would have gone to the Courtesy Counter and had the Manager paged. Rub it in!:rotfl:

Sunni
01-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Wow! You are amazing. I would have left the store and everything behind.
glad you got your chair done.

fourfoxesinpa
01-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Can I get you to mix some paint for me?!?!?!? :rotfl:

Kycha
01-07-2008, 08:03 PM
And I need to get some keys made...lol.

sunshinecindy
01-07-2008, 08:07 PM
And I have two chairs that need covered.....they're small, won't take you long. :rotfl:

~Kathie
01-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Too funny!!! WTG!!!

rygirlsmum
01-07-2008, 09:06 PM

I've always wanted to do that! Can you tell I was the type of kid to sit in Sears and watch the glass-front sample dishwasher - I LOVED that thing!

rygirlsmum
01-07-2008, 09:07 PM
And I need to get some keys made...lol.

OOOO! That too! We knew a family who owned a Ben Franklin's and I was facinated by the key machine and the roller shade cutter!

My dorkiness is SCREAMING out, now!

rygirlsmum
01-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Oh yeah - I'm one of those WM customers that only goes because I have to for certain things (like fabric - it's the only place with affordable fabric), but I walk around muttering how much I hate the place. Literally. My 3 year old, who has a fairly limited vacabulary, will actually ask me, "Mom, you hate WalMart?"

Instead of opening one every 15 minutes from one another, and never have more than 6 registers open (even during Christmas!), they should have built half of what they did and leave the store fully staffed. With 24 hours, I could find a time to suit my schedule.

lanny76
01-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Ohhhh, that's hilarious!:rotfl:
More nerve than i wouldv'e had - i'd probly have messed up their scanner thingy anyway - or my luck, someone would've caught me out! But how funny, no one ever came in what, about a hour!!!! Just crazy.
Our WalMart here is huge but actually has really good service - except for the time i had to wait forever in the paint dept, i guess.

PartiesByCatharine
01-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Haha! Too funny :)

linanglab
01-08-2008, 06:04 AM
I got fleece at WM yesterday. No one was at the counter, and we stood for awhile. My friend was with my and picked up the scanner thing and I could tell she was thinking hard. We left for about 15 minutes and came back and FINALLY the lady was there. I know my friend. She would have been trying to figure it out and do it herself if the Walmart person was not there the 2nd time we came back. I do not have the nerve to do that. A bit of a scaredy cat I guess. But I LOVE watching people have nerve. Makes me wish I had some!

Wendi63
01-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Gee, seems like you should have at least gotten an employee discount for doing their job for them.:rotfl: Sometimes it is just easier to do things yourself. I always check out at the self serve lanes at the grocery when they are available. Maybe they should just make the fabric section of Walmart self serve too since they don't seem to want to spend money on staffing that department.

speechteachri
01-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Good for you! This cracks me up Lori!:rotfl:

speechteachri
01-08-2008, 08:25 PM
OOOO! That too! We knew a family who owned a Ben Franklin's and I was facinated by the key machine and the roller shade cutter!

My dorkiness is SCREAMING out, now!

I remember that store!!!! And the owners...BTW, have you done any singing lately????:rotfl:

rygirlsmum
01-08-2008, 08:49 PM
I remember that store!!!! And the owners...BTW, have you done any singing lately????:rotfl:

Actually, Leslie, I'm finally back to singing in the choir - and I'm a soprano! YIKES! I haven't been in the choir since I was pregnant with Ryan (and she's 14!).

Now that I think of it, it was Ben Franklin's that taught me about cutting fabric and ribbon. My mom worked there and I helped in notions during Christmas.

speechteachri
01-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Actually, Leslie, I'm finally back to singing in the choir - and I'm a soprano! YIKES! I haven't been in the choir since I was pregnant with Ryan (and she's 14!).

Now that I think of it, it was Ben Franklin's that taught me about cutting fabric and ribbon. My mom worked there and I helped in notions during Christmas.

I remember going Christmas shopping there. And I remember your mom working there and also Clark Veazie (sr.)!

Wow, that's going back a ways!

Soprano.....you??

cherbear
01-08-2008, 09:52 PM
I can't blame you ONE BIT for what you did. We have 2 large oscars, and they eat a lot of goldfish. There's never anyone in the pet department, and NO buzzer of any kind, so we always get our own fish. One time, the employee from that department walked up on us as we were getting the fish and scolded us for doing so. We asked him, "What in the world are we supposed to do, sit around twiddling our thumbs until someone comes by?" I could see if they got a button to push for help like the home improvement stores do, then we could get someone over there and wouldn't mind waiting a minute or 2. But the fact is, if no one is in the department, there's no way of knowing when someone WILL be there.

I think you were pretty patient considering you walked to the shoe department several times. I'd have definitely been fed up by that point.
Well, I guess I've said my peace. Walmart sure does get me riled up!!