PDA

View Full Version : Auditing the Books

SunshineGirl
06-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Hold your breath and say some little prayers.

I'm starting to audit the records for last month---going back through manually and importing everything that SHOULD have credited automatically, doublechecking stats, etc. I've already found a few little snafus here and there that will result in people getting credits for things that they might have given up on.

So sit tight and check your account histories. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones this afternoon!!

jnorth1007
06-01-2007, 03:12 PM
We :heart: snafu's!!!! :sunshine2:

plantlady
06-01-2007, 03:58 PM
well, that's exciting news! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Magical JenK
06-01-2007, 04:00 PM
That sounds great...I have a lot in the pending section...crossing my fingers I'm involved in some of those snafus!! :)

JillyFish
06-01-2007, 04:05 PM
:clap: Yayyyy!!! I got one!!! :clap:

m 'n c
06-01-2007, 04:08 PM
oooh I'm holding my breath and hoping!

Chelley00
06-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Boy, you really are bored with SunshineGuy gone, aren't you :rotfl:

SunshineGirl
06-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Boy, you really are bored with SunshineGuy gone, aren't you :rotfl:

LOL! It just isn't as fun without him here. He distracts me from work (although it takes a LOT of effort to do that). Without him here, I could seriously sit at this computer 24 hours a day and work. I actually did the last time that he went to Sweden when I was still working for Lexis. I worked from 8 one morning until midnight the NEXT night.

Yes, SunshineGirl is a workaholic. SunshineGuy is NOT.

mollyeilis
06-01-2007, 05:49 PM
You worked for Lexis (Nexis, I assume)? DH works for one of their offices out here in western WA. Did you do lawyering (teehee) for them, or were you a CSG type?

OK you don't have to answer, I just saw that and got curious. :)

DH does the computer stuff to get all the good, juicy documents off of harddrives etc and into PDF format for the court cases and discovery, etc...oh the things he sees (and canNOT tell me, either!)...:p

speaking of things that didn't manually credit etc, did eBay ever figure themselves out, or is my joining credit forever invisible?

SunshineGirl
06-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Ebay still isn't talking to me. No thanks to them, I figured out which of my links was not crediting properly and removed it. I even explained to them which link it was to see if they could track the transactions for that link only. They are still ignoring me. But I'm not done with them yet. There were a LOT of transactions through that link over 4 months that they owe us for.

Lexis. Did your DH work for AD or Courtlink before LN acquired them? I actually worked in a pretty cool department. We were all home-based and did a variety of different work, some of it research and writing, some of it technical, some of it training. I wrote case law summaries for awhile and then moved into quality and training. Then management. Then I got to start working on projects with Courtlink, AD, customer service, sales...lots of different groups. Basically wherever they saw a need in one of the LN legal products or the possibility for a new product, we were called in to either do the work, manage the work, or train contractors or overseas employees to do the work. It was never a dull moment--working 7 days a week for over 5 years. Kind of like SR. LOL!

mollyeilis
06-01-2007, 07:06 PM
He's with what was/is Applied Discovery, which is in the same building as Court Link. :) He started *right* before they went into LN. He really loves it.

And now I have to post this so I can show him your picture, b/c he wants to see if he knows you (though I don't think the timing works out for when you must have left the job). :p

SunshineGirl
06-01-2007, 07:18 PM
I remember when LN bought AD. I worked with them briefly in the spring of 2006. I'm trying to remember what the projects were. I remember someone having to set me up with AD Citrix access because the LN backend and AD backend were not linked because of the tremendous AD privacy issues. So I had to get special AD server permissions. I'm fairly certain that the projects I worked on with them were some kind of indexing or conversion of documents. Plus we worked on customer service surveys for the sales group. And I vaguely remember something about SalesForce.com.

3dog2kidmom
06-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Hold your breath and say some little prayers.

I'm starting to audit the records for last month---going back through manually and importing everything that SHOULD have credited automatically, doublechecking stats, etc. I've already found a few little snafus here and there that will result in people getting credits for things that they might have given up on.

So sit tight and check your account histories. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones this afternoon!!

Any chance you found some Disney Movie Club credits hidden in there? Still waiting... but it's a new month :)

SunshineGirl
06-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Any chance you found some Disney Movie Club credits hidden in there? Still waiting... but it's a new month :)

They actually haven't done any of them yet. It looks like I got lucky that the first one I ever submitted was on the 27th of April and they resolved it the first week of May. Then every other one of them I submitted was in May. :( So I expect to hear about all of them I have filed so far early next week.

mollyeilis
06-01-2007, 08:28 PM
I remember when LN bought AD. I worked with them briefly in the spring of 2006. I'm trying to remember what the projects were. I remember someone having to set me up with AD Citrix access because the LN backend and AD backend were not linked because of the tremendous AD privacy issues. So I had to get special AD server permissions. I'm fairly certain that the projects I worked on with them were some kind of indexing or conversion of documents. Plus we worked on customer service surveys for the sales group. And I vaguely remember something about SalesForce.com.

He's feeling vindicated right now b/c he has been there since spring of '05. :)

He has vague recollections of a "bye, great working with you" email sent out by someone with your name...did you do that? :)

They are looking for lawyers to work for their group, MAN is that a good gig! No, not a HUGE salary like my SIL (4th year at Latham Watkins? in San Diego) is bringing in, but for a "job" vs "practice", it's pretty nice, IMO. Wish one of us had been through law school. :)

Sounds like your job was pretty sweet, but working on your OWN thing like this, that's even better!

LuvMyBoys
06-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Sorry to butt in on the conversation, but they're not looking for lawyers in Michigan are they? :blush:

I am in a bad legal job right now that I am desperately trying to leave. So desperate that I'm willing to ask about it on a forum :thanks:

SunshineGirl
06-01-2007, 08:37 PM
I probably did send out an email like that. And I know that some were sent out on my behalf because I gave a lot of notice and we transitioned in my replacement (Kelly Clark) for about a month. I am actually still on the books as a contract employee, but I don't have the monitor plugged in right now. When DH gets home, I'll have him plug in the monitor and I will go look in my massive email archive and see if I worked with your DH. :)

It was nice working from home. And I went to Colorado Springs and Dayton a couple of times a year. Unfortunately twice with 6 week old babies at home. But the workaholic in me kept me from really using my flex time like I should have. Lexis benefits are VERY good though.

SunshineGirl
06-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Sorry to butt in on the conversation, but they're not looking for lawyers in Michigan are they? :blush:

I am in a bad legal job right now that I am desperately trying to leave. So desperate that I'm willing to ask about it on a forum :thanks:

They do hire all over. And they hire contract employees for a group called LBIR (maybe recently renamed?), but I am not sure if they are still hiring from groups of former employees that we had to lay off (another reason I couldn't handle the stress of the job anymore--firing people around the holidays). It's worth looking. They have a number of home or partially home-based jobs in different kinds of lawerly work.

LuvMyBoys
06-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the reply Tricia. I will check into it, certainly worth a try. The economy is so bad in Michigan right now that it's pathetic. :(

I know what you mean about the laying people off. We lost our best manager to a lay off today, I was practically bawling (while trying to remain professional of course).

mollyeilis
06-01-2007, 08:57 PM
You don't want to know the look DH just gave to the name of your replacement....he says he wishes you were still around. yikes!

As for hiring...DH says that his particular company/division, Applied Discovery, has NY, Chicago, Seattle-area, DC, and LA sites that would need lawyers, but no sites in Michigan. :(

But it might be worth checking out the Lexis Nexis website, just to see.

Oh! The laying off thing. This company is the ONE company I have EVER heard of that actually hired back laid off people. I'm not sure the people came back, but they were at least ASKED, and that was amazing. Robert's only there b/c back in '01 Amazon's Seattle office was wiped out in a massive layoff (while my dinky Tacoma office stayed alive at least for another few years), and then his next job had layoffs every few months (and never ever hired anyone back, while hiring NEW people for the SAME positions a couple months later), and he found his way to AD. Then they had layoffs, but then made offers to those people later. I thought it was just SO lovely of them.

vtgirlie
06-01-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm so excited that you're checking things out. I am WAYYY to impatient for my missing credits- been checking a few times a day. It's just a pain when they post to your card, they come in the mail and the credits are MIA.

I know, you've heard it all before.

It's so great to have you on here for us Tricia!

SunshineGirl
06-01-2007, 09:00 PM
You don't want to know the look DH just gave to the name of your replacement....he says he wishes you were still around. yikes!

Oh, no!!! I was her mentor! I know her boss just got canned recently and her husband lost his job. So she's been really trying to keep things together. I coach her if he would like. LOL!

mollyeilis
06-02-2007, 01:57 AM
Oh, no!!! I was her mentor! I know her boss just got canned recently and her husband lost his job. So she's been really trying to keep things together. I coach her if he would like. LOL!

:)

I think they are STILL working on figuring out how AD meshes with LN...there are still issues with things like HR, which you'd think would have been taken care of. Nothing to do with anything, but back at the time that we made our choices for benefits, DH was LOOKING on the site to see what costs would change if changes were made. Unbeknownst to him, if you do that sort of thing, then forget to go in to MAKE the changes, it takes what you were messing around with as gospel. So we were on vacation when his "wonderings" became fact for January, and we didn't even know for months, because we were waiting for notification of the deadline (which was in his umpteen messages when he got back, early, from vacay b/c his dad was in the hospital). Since they KNEW that this happened, they made an allowance for our FSA account (is that like "PIN number"?), but just this month we tried to use it, and silly wageworks messed up, and our card won't work. Now we've been dealing with that for a month. And it just feels difficult, because the HR people there are still trying to figure out how LN does things, when they were these wild independent AD people just a couple years ago. So even though DH hardly got any time being "independent", he's still dealing with people who were there before, and it gets complicated.

OMG you can't possibly care about all that! :rotfl: So sorry!

SunshineGirl
06-02-2007, 08:11 AM
:)

I think they are STILL working on figuring out how AD meshes with LN...there are still issues with things like HR, which you'd think would have been taken care of. Nothing to do with anything, but back at the time that we made our choices for benefits, DH was LOOKING on the site to see what costs would change if changes were made. Unbeknownst to him, if you do that sort of thing, then forget to go in to MAKE the changes, it takes what you were messing around with as gospel. So we were on vacation when his "wonderings" became fact for January, and we didn't even know for months, because we were waiting for notification of the deadline (which was in his umpteen messages when he got back, early, from vacay b/c his dad was in the hospital). Since they KNEW that this happened, they made an allowance for our FSA account (is that like "PIN number"?), but just this month we tried to use it, and silly wageworks messed up, and our card won't work. Now we've been dealing with that for a month. And it just feels difficult, because the HR people there are still trying to figure out how LN does things, when they were these wild independent AD people just a couple years ago. So even though DH hardly got any time being "independent", he's still dealing with people who were there before, and it gets complicated.

OMG you can't possibly care about all that! :rotfl: So sorry!

Oh, man. That doesn't surprise me. It is always very interesting to watch what happens when big full of red tape companies buy up smaller companies that are used to much more flexibility and less red tape. That was one of the things I always liked about our projects with AD and Courtlink. Things could move forward much faster because there were not as many hoops to jump through as there were in the older parts of Lexis, like Shepards. You could seriously go weeks without hearing about something you needed ASAP because so many levels of people had to sign off on it. With the newer divisions, major decisions could be made in hours. I have no doubt that the HR transition to standardization (probably as well as the IT transition) has been hairy to say the least.

mollyeilis
06-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Yep, hairy is a good way to describe it!

But they still have "bring your dog" Fridays (something I'm glad I don't work there for, b/c I'd be a sneezy mess) and the CHEAP vending machines (20 oz soda for 25 cents, anyone?), so they still try to maintain the feel of the Seattle start-up. :)

I doubt you found anything for me in your audit, but I'm going to go check now.

Alice28
06-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks Tricia- I saw my Cherry on Top credit the other day! :cooldance:

Still holding out hope for my DMC one too; and a small ebay one, but mostly the DMC...hoping, hoping, hoping.

mollyeilis
06-07-2007, 11:56 AM

By the way...just mentioned this info to DH last night, and his jaw dropped...turns out they were given "this person has left to pursue other career opportunities" line, so no one knew the boss was canned!

Ach, corporations....

Hedy
06-12-2007, 09:32 AM
I think you must have done another audit-I had an ancient credit come through yesterday.