PDA

View Full Version : Family birthdays

mommytotwo
01-10-2008, 10:58 PM
What do you all do to celebrate the birthdays of the adults in your household? My dad's birthday is coming up on Monday, followed by my husband's birthday next week.
We don't go all out, and celebrate. We just have dinner at home with the family, or go out to eat, then have cake for dessert. We sometimes had gone out as a family to do something...I was wondering what everyone else does.

SunshineGirl
01-10-2008, 11:15 PM
We're kind of big on birthdays at our house. I joke with my mom that we like to celebrate so much around here that we have a party just because it's Friday. LOL! That said, it depends on the birthday. For DH and me, at a minimum we will have a dinner out plus cake and some presents. For big ones like 30, we usually do surprise parties with lots of friends, food, etc.

This year we will do Melting Pot for SG's birthday beacause MissAngie was nice enough to get us a gift certificate for Christmas. :love:

We don't live close enough to our families to do much besides send presents for their birthdays. :( And the girls call and sing Happy Birthday.

jnorth1007
01-10-2008, 11:31 PM
My mothers side of the family have cake and ice cream and dinner at her house for every birthday including the animals (kidding) lol. We are Italian on that side so sunday dinners were always big anyway. Now, we have 4 grandparents left, 2 parents, 1 aunt, 4 kids, 8 grandkids plus 4 spouses. Throw that together and we have cake at almost every dinner LOL. We no longer buy gifts for the siblings and spouses but still that is alot of gifts.

coastalgirl
01-10-2008, 11:36 PM
For the adults it is usually just a dinner out and a couple of gifts. The kids like to help me make a cake for daddy, so we usually do that too!
Now for my grandparents we throw a party every year. My Papaw's b-day is in May and Grandmothers is in June so we celebrate them both and their sons come, all the grandkids and spouses and their great-grand kids(a couple of those with their GF's now!) Plus any of their siblings that are close and able to come.

wilsonfamily4
01-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Don't get me started. My husband has 3 siblings. They all live in the same town, or within 10 minutes of his parents. Again, don't get me started. So every birthday gets celebrated. But luckily there are a lot that fall together so we usually do a Sunday combined birthday with dinner cake and presents. All the kids get their own day. There are 7 grandkids.
I think I would love birthday parties if I didn't see them all the time anyway. :)

chipndale
01-10-2008, 11:46 PM
We really don't do anything more than dinner out and cake and ice cream. Of course it might have to do with when our birthday falls. Everyone in my family and dh's family falls in the later part of November or the month of December. I was born on my fathers birthday and my mom, BIL, and SIL all have the same birthday. I have a granfather that was born on Christmas day. It would be way to crazy if we tried to do more that just dinner out.

mjjmbnmm
01-11-2008, 12:05 AM
On my side we don't do anything for the adults but call one another to say happy birthday. On my husband's side they have a dinner for birthdays. As far as the kids I always give them a big party some years they even get 2 if I do friends and family seperate.

mommytotwo
01-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Spin off questions-

*If it were your birthday, what type of cake would you like?
*What would be your number one birthday present to recieve?
*If you were to go out to dinner, where would you go to?

Kycha
01-11-2008, 12:11 AM
We try to get together for the holidays(Mother's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day...)so we just include the birthdays that fall nearby. Except, 2 of my brother's birthdays are in February. And they fall around a Blues Festival that a local club holds. So, usually we all go together as a family and let loose and have a blast!

Blessing and Miracle
01-11-2008, 12:40 AM
Oh, we love birthdays and don't take them for granted. Around here, it's "your day" and you get to do whatever you want to do! For the children, we have a huge party for ages 1-10 and then for special ones. ie. 13, 16, 18 21 etc. However, in between those special years, it's still whatever you want, whether it's a sleepover, resturant, etc.

For us older folks, dinner out, ordered in, or DH will cook and serve whatever we want. For the special years - 30, 35, 40, we had huge parties.

The girls are already driving me crazy about their birthday which is March 12th. The want Strawberry Shortcake this year. Last year we had Jo Jo's Circus and hired a clown to come and entertain and paint their faces. Jo Jo had been booked for months!! So, I've already started the process of looking for Strawberry Shortcake. I love parties.

We do the same for my mom. My sweet Dad passed 01/05 and boy did he love birthday parties, too. He wanted a cake in just about every flavor! And, my mom would fix him several. Boy, do I miss him, but anyway, yes, we love to celebrate birthdays!!

LuvMyBoys
01-11-2008, 10:06 AM
My family (mom, dad, siblings) and me, DH, and the boys are "celebrators" too :) I like to celebrate the special days in life, makes life more fun! :cooldance:

For adult birthdays we always do at least dinner, cake and presents. For special birthdays we do theme birthday parties. Past themes have included: tastes of the world, luau, Irish dinner, German feast, White Christmas, 80's party, and many more.

My kids always get themed parties with all the aunts, uncles, cousins, my parents, etc. They love them!! :)

Lately the most popular cake choice has been hot fudge sundae cake with homemade hot fudge sauce. I like that too b/c it's easy to make and looks delicious!

dreamer13079
01-11-2008, 02:11 PM
SunshineGirl: Mmmm... the Melting Pot. :) Couldn't let that one slide without a comment. Very romantic place for dinner and we love it! You two will have a great birthday dinner!

We celebrate all of the adult birthdays with dinner, cake and presents. I love it because with 7 of us "adult" kids :) and 12 grandkids it makes for a lot of celebrating and I love a good party. :)