PDA

View Full Version : Another auto sign up! BMG Music

nicholfamily5
06-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Everyone should be checking all of their email boxes! I received the one from Columbia House DVDs the other day, and tonight I received the same from BMG, only this time it told me a cd was already shipped!
I shot off an email to cancel the account, but this is crazy. I REALLY don't like being randomly signed up for things.

Just a heads up! Some people might be recieving random cd's and dvd's in the mail soon.:eek:

SunshineGirl
06-01-2007, 07:13 PM
This is just so very odd. I'm trying to figure out how it is happening. I think it has to be some of the checkboxes (called "coregistration") in some of the freebie offers.

jnorth1007
06-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Here is my question...has anyone actually received the cd's or dvd's in the mail yet? My concern is that it is really just an effort to say hey your already joined up so go ahead and order more. I would be interested to see if they have actually put any money out and sent merchandise out yet. I think I wouldn't be terribly concerned unless the merchandise showed up at my door and then I would worry about all the cancelling. Especially if these are showing up in your spam mail boxes. Tricia, any thoughts on that???

SunshineGirl
06-01-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm really at a loss on these. I can see so many different scenarios. 1) Someone signed you up using a stolen credit card or prepaid card so that they could get rewards points and you would have to deal with the mess, 2) we have a freebie or survey on the site that is either being tricky or illegal to get your signup information to forward on to the clubs and then taking the commissions, or 3) someone is using a phishing scheme to get more info out of you or trick you into signing up because you think you already have.

In any of those three scenarios, I would like to try to get to the bottom of it because it has to be coming out of something you are signing up for.

nicholfamily5
06-01-2007, 08:28 PM
I thought I was pretty careful about catching all the check boxes, but it is always possiible I missed one. I can't imagine missing both of these though.

I'm fairly certain they are phishing. I totally agree with the above poster. It just bugs me to have to go through this.

nicholfamily5
06-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Well, I don't think it is an identity or cc theft, only because neither site had any cc or bank info, nor did they even have a username or password set up. In both cases I had to sign in with my account number, and then create a username.
I hated doing that, but I wanted to see what info they already had. Which was my name, address and email. That's it!

SunshineGirl
06-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Handy for them that there are now BMG and Columbia House offers that do not require a credit card to initiate the signup. I'm sure that is what they are using. And if they are really getting you signed up, they could be making as much as maybe $30 a pop off of each, assuming they are doing them in bulk?

nicholfamily5
06-01-2007, 10:13 PM
That is VERY sneaky!!!! If I were BMG and CH, I certainly woulnd not want to be paying commision on all these non auth "signups"

kimbaby
06-02-2007, 05:06 AM
Bmg bought out the music part of columia house (they merged)
so I am betting thats how they were able to do that...

TIAMOMMA
06-02-2007, 08:42 AM
This happened to me too!!!! I got the CD in the mail yesterday from BMG. Tricia, remember when I said I was having a bad day yesterday? First the BMG showing up, then I couldn't get into the Forum and I can't get Restaurants.com to respond to me despite numerous calls/emails about certificates I ordered that the restaurant won't honor! :(

The worst part is there is NOWHERE on the BMG literature that they show a telephone number. I sent an email, of course no response. I did google them and found a telephone number (not toll free of course) and called them to cancel but the "customer service rep" didn't inspire a lot of faith in me.

I thought I was always careful doing my free surveys, but something happened along the way!

TIAMOMMA

maggiec
06-02-2007, 11:22 AM
I am so thankful I read this thread. I had an email from CH in my junk mail folder confirming my membership. There was a link to click if you wished to cancel. I clicked it and it said you application/account has been canceled. So hopefully I won't have any of these show up in the mail.

~Kathie
06-02-2007, 11:36 AM
I checked all my spam and trash folders and I don't have any emails from them thank goodness.

Usually when I go through the survey pages I delete my email and my contact info even if I click the "no thanks' or "skip" buttons.

I always thought I was being a little anal doing this.......guess not!

They sure are being sneaky. They are taking BIG advantage. Not a good way to win friends and customers.

Thanks for the heads up!!

faithhope
06-02-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm worried now... I got the email, and deleted it because I KNEW I hadn't signed up for BMG...

Thanks for the heads up... I'll keep an eye on the mailbox...
can anyone post cancelation info???

Faith

lrsellars
06-02-2007, 12:42 PM
They've sent me the DVD too along with a bill for $5. When you call the 800 # to cancel they say that you owe for two more DVD at full price. I've emailed them and stated that I've never signed up for nor do I plan on paying for this DVD or any others. I've heard that it's HARD getting this resolved but I'm working on it. It really ticks me off though!!!!

~Kathie
06-02-2007, 01:15 PM
They've sent me the DVD too along with a bill for $5. When you call the 800 # to cancel they say that you owe for two more DVD at full price. I've emailed them and stated that I've never signed up for nor do I plan on paying for this DVD or any others. I've heard that it's HARD getting this resolved but I'm working on it. It really ticks me off though!!!!

I don't blame you. I hope it gets resolved. Like I said.......not a good way to gain customers.

maggiec
06-03-2007, 12:24 AM
I am so thankful I read this thread. I had an email from CH in my junk mail folder confirming my membership. There was a link to click if you wished to cancel. I clicked it and it said you application/account has been canceled. So hopefully I won't have any of these show up in the mail.

I got this email in return from them. Some of you may find this helpful.

"Every effort will be made to withhold processing of the application. In the
event we are unable to do so and you receive the enrollment shipment, please
mark the parcel "Refused" and return it to us. Upon receipt of the returned
shipment, the membership will then be canceled."

sselig2000
06-03-2007, 09:21 AM
I got the Columbia House email this morning and sent them an email. I did not sign up for this. Has anyone figured out where it is coming from?

luvdisney
06-03-2007, 05:10 PM
I got an email from BMG music service on 5/28. I didn't sign up for anything either. The email had a link in it. It says that all I need to do is click on the link and it will active my membership and they will send my selection, it even has a selection listed that they will send. I didn't click on the link so hopefully they will do nothing.

TIAMOMMA
06-03-2007, 07:13 PM
The message I got (unfortunately didn't find it in my 4,000+ spam emails until AFTER I rec'd the cd) was "Thank you for your application, it's being reviewed, blah, blah, blah". It did have a link to click if you felt that you got the message in error but I wasn't looking in my Spam folder since I didn't sign up for it (or I would have given them my regular email address).

Then three days later they sent an email saying I was accepted and the next day telling ME what they were sending (since obviously I didn't choose anything). :(

nicholfamily5
06-03-2007, 07:22 PM
I have to say, this plan of theirs backfired with me. Any thoughts I may have had of signing up have been totally erased and now I find myself going out of my way to avoid them!
lost a potential customer for life, doing this.

OregonGirlie
06-04-2007, 02:12 AM
Yup! I got a Columbia House one last week. Emailed them to cancel it. They did, but I still got the DVD in the mail over the weekend.

Anyways, I got a BMG email in a random never used account and a CD from them now too.

I don't get it.

zoodoyle
06-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Just got the columbia house dvd - thanks to all of you, I knew it was a scam, so I just wrote refused on it, and sent it right back out the door!!! Now I guess I'll watch for the bmg cd one......very annoying :computer: (though it's not really the computer's fault :p )

bartleby1
06-04-2007, 01:20 PM
UGH. I just spent the last 45 minutes searching through spam and found one from Columbia House from May 31. I'm extra careful with all those little check boxes too. Something is definitely not right. The one I found is in a gmail account that I only use for SR. I'm still searching my other email accounts - all 24 of them, lol!

lrsellars
06-04-2007, 02:47 PM
I got an email from Columbia House saying that they will cancel my "membership" blah, blah, blah. One thing that I've started doing is to erase all the information that come up on offers except the initial one I enter. Even if I say SKIP I'm still erasing the info. Also, I'm unchecking the TERMS and CONDITIONS and I noticed that Columbia House automatically checks that box.

linanglab
06-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Last week I cancelled a BMG account that someone so graciously signed me up for. Then TODAY I received ANOTHER BMG CD with a DIFFERENT account, so I am in the process of trying to cancel that one too. Then to top it off, I got a Columbia House movie account now that I never signed up for. I am getting frustrated.....

nicholfamily5
06-04-2007, 04:03 PM
UPDATE..... I recieved cacellation emails from BOTH companies, but this morning my mailbox was overflowing with packages of dvds and cds....grrrrrrrr

pattip03
06-04-2007, 05:57 PM
I just received email about my account with Columbia House! :confused:

I, too, did not sign up. I called the number to cancel and it said i owe $5 and must purchase 2 more dvds. Since that didn't work I sent off an email.

I think if everyone sends an email they will get the hint that someone is fraudulently signing us all up. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! :cry:

Tiggerific711
06-05-2007, 07:05 AM
I got the BMG cd too. I've only done the free stuff, I've never signed up for anything that requires a credit card. I'll have to check my email too see if I have anything in my spam folder. I guess I'll watch for Columbia House next!

Have a great day everyone!

TTFN
Marianne

faithhope
06-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Looks like I've been signed up for BMG and Columbia house.

I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet though.

I tried to call Columbia house, but they want to bill me $5 for nothing...
so i sent an email to the affiliate program (not sure where to send it truthfully)..

Thanks for all the info I'll put refused on anything that does come to the mailbox.

Faith

maggiec
06-05-2007, 12:22 PM
I found this address at the bottom of the CH email. It might work well to write them a letter.

You may contact Columbia House DVD Club at the following address:
6550 E. 30th St. P.O. Box 91602, Indianapolis, IN 46291-0616

maggiec
06-05-2007, 12:24 PM
It is quite suspicious that we have allbeen signed up at the same time. It makes me think it was probably a freebie offer new to SR in the past 2 weeks.

herodrx1
06-05-2007, 12:28 PM
I got both a BMG and DVD box in the mail yesterday! I put refused and sent them right back.

Does this automatically cancel the account that I DID NOT sign up for??

kimntrent
06-05-2007, 12:31 PM
I just got a email about my Columbia House DVD sign up DVDs. I don't know where that came from. It has got to be connected some how. In all honesty you can keep them and they can not charge you if they are a "gift". Since you did not sign up for anything that is what they are but you may have a fight on your hands. I have delt with this before with something else.

Kim
________
Aiesha (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Aiesha/)

faithhope
06-05-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm very certain it is a freebie offer I did via SR that signed me up for BMG and Columbia ... I was very careful to either hit skip or click no on all the items, but still one of them signed me up for each... I do have a list of the ones I've done recently, but I've done quite a few since I'm trying to make supermember, so I'm not sure who to blame... hopefully BMG and Columbia can figure out who the culprit is.

Faith

pattip03
06-05-2007, 12:42 PM
This is the email reply I received from them in less than 24 hours, sounds promising :)

We received your inquiry regarding the membership in Columbia House DVD Club that was established
in your name. You have advised us that you did not establish this account.

We have reviewed the account carefully and note that we received a request in your name to enroll
you in Columbia House DVD Club. As a courtesy we are canceling your membership and waiving any
amounts due. We are also sending a mailing label via regular mail to return any unwanted selections.

Please disregard any further promotions, correspondence, billings, etc. you may receive from us
regarding this matter.

As you requested, we have removed your name, address and email address from our mailing list.
Please allow ten (10) business days for your unsubscribe request to be completed.

If we may be of further service, please contact us at http://www.columbiahouse.com.[/COLOR]

faithhope
06-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Pattip03 - How did you contact them? Did you send an email via the website?

Faith
who would love to get an email like that from columbia :)

jnorth1007
06-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Well I just got an email from CH too. It was in my email account that I use for SR free offers. This is attached somehow to one of the free offers. I just don't know which one. I tried to email them but it wouldn't let me do it under the cancel membership drop down it said I had to call. The call was all automated and wouldn't let me talk to a person so I emailed it under userid and password information. We will see what happens. I am going to try to email to a different email address also.

pattip03
06-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi Faith,

There was a customer service link in their email (Columbia House) that I responded to. :)

SunshineGirl
06-05-2007, 01:28 PM
This is getting really frustrating. I'd really like to figure out how this is happening. It's obviously an offer that I didn't sign up for. I know that I did sign up for jeopardy. It must also be something where you are having to put in your mailing information and not just your name and/or email.

jnorth1007
06-05-2007, 01:29 PM
I went back and re-emailed to that address also. We will see what happens.

sselig2000
06-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Tricia - I am not sure about it being something where you had to put in your mailing address. They don't have my information correct. It is possible of course that I miss typed in my address, but I have lived here for 15 years, so I doubt it. My house number is three digits, they only have one digit, and it isn't even a number that is included in my house number.

jnorth1007
06-06-2007, 10:45 AM
I received an email this morning saying they would cancel the account and send lables to return anything that I might receive. They also said they would erase any fees. I hope they are good for their word. :confused:

LisaNJ25
06-06-2007, 11:31 AM
count me in for the BMG offer also. I got a cd in the mail monday.

linanglab
06-06-2007, 11:58 AM
About the address...they got my address. Like I said before, I have gotten 2 BMG CD's (different acct. #'s) and 1 Columbia House DVD (Miami Vice). So they got my addy somewhere. I better not be getting any more mailings. I will NOT be happy. With these companies, you cannot just call them. It is all automated. You have to email in hopes that they read and reply. I do not like that.

Angela

photos_101
06-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Well, I received my UNAUTHORIZED and unwanted BMG CD today...I immediately emailed them to have them cancel my account. I guess I will see what they say. But I know I am not paying for it, so they might as well just cancel and happily receive their CD back. Jeeez, I hate it when things like this happen. Everything seemed to be going so smooth for me with the offers I was doing. At least I have some Disney Gift Cards to remind me of the good side of things.:)

lenzs4
06-07-2007, 04:57 PM
OK - here is something to think about. My mom does Sunshinerewards as well and although I did not get on this list that you are all on - she did. HOWEVER, she has not been in town to even log on for a few weeks, SO I think this must have been scammed off of an offer completed a long time ago. My Mom has been gone since the Disney Repo Cruise and so it had to have been done before that. Also, she does not do paid offers, only the free ones so it has to be a free offer.
I have been getting her mail for her and just realized she was part of this mess, hopefully I will have it cleared up before she returns on Sat!!!

PS - she won the Mother's Day contest and she got her package - it is still unopened because she hasn't been home to open it yet. I debated opening it for her (because I hate not knowing what is in a box) and displaying it on the counter for her, but I have had restraint and it is not opened yet.

lenzs4
06-07-2007, 05:12 PM
OH - when the books came, (yes she got romance novels and movies) there was an envelope on the outside of the box so my DH and I carefully opened the envelope on the under side and called them with the account number, canceled, re-glued the envelope to the box and did a return to sender. I was not paying for return shipping for something that was not ordered!

bartleby1
06-07-2007, 05:52 PM
OK - here is something to think about. My mom does Sunshinerewards as well and although I did not get on this list that you are all on - she did. HOWEVER, she has not been in town to even log on for a few weeks, SO I think this must have been scammed off of an offer completed a long time ago. My Mom has been gone since the Disney Repo Cruise and so it had to have been done before that. Also, she does not do paid offers, only the free ones so it has to be a free offer.
I have been getting her mail for her and just realized she was part of this mess, hopefully I will have it cleared up before she returns on Sat!!!

PS - she won the Mother's Day contest and she got her package - it is still unopened because she hasn't been home to open it yet. I debated opening it for her (because I hate not knowing what is in a box) and displaying it on the counter for her, but I have had restraint and it is not opened yet.

Hmmm....Was this through BMG or Columbia House? I wonder if there is more than one offer that signed people up? I KNOW for a fact that mine was linked to the brandarama offer somehow because I've been using a gmail account and I switch the dots around so each offer is done with it's own, unique email addy. This was the ONLY offer that I used that particular email dot configuration that was used on the columbia house sign up.

lenzs4
06-07-2007, 07:25 PM
I want to say it was Columbia house but I am not sure - it was before I realized she had not done any offers - My DH took care of it - I asked and he shrugged and said - they are all the same - what does it matter. I do not know what offers she has done - I just know she has been away from a computer for a long time!!!

destny72
06-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Just got a email saying the movie jack**s was mailed to me!

Tiggerific711
06-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Oh well, now I got one from Columbia House too!

ShanPooh
06-09-2007, 02:08 AM
Happened to us, too.
We filled out a mail fraud form for the USPS.
DH taped up the box with packing tape and is going to try to get it to go back "return to sender".

ShanPooh
06-09-2007, 02:28 AM
Just found this:

"You can talk to a human!

I have a website bookmarked for actual telephone numbers where you can actually get a human, not recordings. It is gethuman. The number at Columbia house to speak with a human is 812-466-8402. Hope this helps. Just wait for the prompt to speak to a customer service rep."

dizneemom
06-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Lucky me! I got an unwanted, unsolicited DVD in the mail today, too. I tried the above phone number but it's an all-automated system. I hope Tricia can figure out who the creeps were that did this. There can't be that many of us who were careless enough to sign up for these programs by accident.

TIAMOMMA
06-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Hi,

I actually am a member of Colombia House. The number I have for them is 800-262-2001. Hope this helps.