PDA

View Full Version : Bed bugs at Disney

sunshinecindy
01-14-2008, 12:16 AM
It was reported on ABC Action news tonight that The Disney All Star Resort may have bed bugs. They would not discuss it with the media when questioned. A family that was staying there had multiple bug bites and made a deal with Disney to keep their mouth shut. Just a little FYI.

bs4free
01-14-2008, 12:25 AM
That is not good, i hope that disney can clean up the problem quickly!

linanglab
01-14-2008, 07:39 AM
We will be staying at Pop or Movies this July. Hoping that it will be taken care of by then. I always leave my luggage outside, and go look at the mattresses, the headboards, etc. to makes sure I see no signs of bedbugs. Don't want them to get in my luggage!

This is going to cost Disney money over and over again. People come with those critters and then Disney will have to rid the rooms of everything and bring in new beds, etc.

PSL1013
01-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Yikes! :eek: This would not be good for business but sadly it is not a sign of cleanliness because any hotel, even extremely high class ones can have this problem. :(

spring
01-14-2008, 09:35 AM
I guess it was just a matter of time before someone brought the critters with them to Disney. Knowing Disney, they will be on top of it and everything will be properly sanitized in record time.

bartleby1
01-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Unfortunately, this is a risk at ALL hotels from scummy ones all the way up to luxurious 5 star hotels. I'm sure this isn't the first case of bedbugs that disney has seen. However, I'm sure they stay on top of it at disney as best as possible.

jl8595
01-14-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm sure this isn't the first case of bedbugs that disney has seen. However, I'm sure they stay on top of it at disney as best as possible.

It's not the first case. I've seen posts on the DIS about people reporting bed bugs. I just think Disney is REALLY good at keeping it quiet. One particular post I remember last year was a moderate resort...I want to say CBR...and the family struggled to get Disney to respond at first. (although that part surprises me) Although I do think it's a bit unfair that the local news is reporting on the problem. I'm sure they could find a newstory on bed bugs at many hotel across the nation...not just WDW.

Bed bugs are a reality at any kind of hotel. It's just the nature of the beast in that industry unfortunately. Like Angela, I too check every hotel room I stay in before unpacking.

m 'n c
01-14-2008, 10:35 AM
So how can you tell if there are bed bugs in the room? I do not know much about them or what to look for.

spring
01-14-2008, 10:39 AM
So how can you tell if there are bed bugs in the room? I do not know much about them or what to look for.

Take a portion of the sheets off the mattress. You will see them nesting in the crevices.

linanglab
01-14-2008, 10:41 AM

They say that if there are some, there will be black spots (feces) around the cords of the mattress. They will also hide during the day. You can lift up the back of the headboard and check in those crevices for either the bugs or the spots. I take off the sheets and look all around the mattress. They can also hide in and behind trim.

I watched a segment about it on TV once and learned alot. I know if you google it, you can see pics of what they look like and descriptions of how to know if your room is contaminated.

Leave your luggage out of the room until you know for sure. They can attach to your luggage and then your house will be conaminated.

icartjetta
01-14-2008, 10:45 AM
They said on our local news they paid the family 5,000 dollars and a free future trip to keep quiet.

nolacindy
01-14-2008, 11:41 AM
No, no, no.... We are staying at All star Movies in less than 2 weeks! I wonder what they will do if they rooms are contaminated.

spring
01-14-2008, 11:43 AM
No, no, no.... We are staying at All star Movies in less than 2 weeks! I wonder what they will do if they rooms are contaminated.

I'm sure the rooms are already sanitized. Consider yourself fortunate to go AFTER they found the problem, not BEFORE. I wouldn't worry.:sunshine:

jl8595
01-14-2008, 11:53 AM

No, don't worry about it. Just check your room when you get there (see Angela's post - she does exactly what I do) and you'll be fine. I've stayed at All Star Movies and twice at POP without ever finding them. It's typically an isolated incident. You'll have a GREAT trip!!!!

nolacindy
01-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks everyone, we've stayed at the Pop and Wilderness lodge and never had a problems, will just have to check when we get there. We've just had such bad luck with planning trips and I'm always concerned something is going to came up where we have to cancel again.

sunshinecindy
01-14-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm sure the rooms are already sanitized. Consider yourself fortunate to go AFTER they found the problem, not BEFORE. I wouldn't worry.:sunshine:

They are actually using a "bug sniiffer dog", they showed it on tv. The one they showed was a sheltie. I found that interesting. I would however take a flashlight and turn off the lights and use your flashlight to look cause they only come out in the dark.

PSL1013
01-14-2008, 12:55 PM
They are actually using a "bug sniiffer dog", they showed it on tv. The one they showed was a sheltie. I found that interesting. I would however take a flashlight and turn off the lights and use your flashlight to look cause they only come out in the dark.

So, if we sleep with the lights ON....we won't have to worry? :rotfl:

linanglab
01-14-2008, 02:27 PM

A dog sniffer!!!!???? That is neat! Does the dog go in all the rooms after every check out? Very interesting!

sunshinecindy
01-14-2008, 04:05 PM
A dog sniffer!!!!???? That is neat! Does the dog go in all the rooms after every check out? Very interesting!

They just showed the dog walking across the beds and rooms sniffing. They may take them into everyroom and do this, who knows.

Mom2aPrincess
01-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I've never really worried about them, but I did go google it just for a little information.

Blessing and Miracle
01-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Yikes! :eek: This would not be good for business but sadly it is not a sign of cleanliness because any hotel, even extremely high class ones can have this problem. :(

Yep, and it's sad that when we check into hotels, we have to inspect and disinfect before we lay our heads down!! I make the girls stand in one spot while we are disinfecting everything with Clorox wipes and Lysol!!! One our trip to San Fransico, we stayed in the Embassy Suites in Marin County, and I used an entire box of wipes and it was still horrible. I eventually just called management and he moved and upgraded us but that room wasn't much better. I didn't even bother calling again! I was so ready to go!!!!
I think they all need to do a lot better with cleanliness! All of them!!!

linanglab
01-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Yep, and it's sad that when we check into hotels, we have to inspect and disinfect before we lay our heads down!! I make the girls stand in one spot while we are disinfecting everything with Clorox wipes and Lysol!!! One our trip to San Fransico, we stayed in the Embassy Suites in Marin County, and I used an entire box of wipes and it was still horrible. I eventually just called management and he moved and upgraded us but that room wasn't much better. I didn't even bother calling again! I was so ready to go!!!!
I think they all need to do a lot better with cleanliness! All of them!!!

I do the same thing. Lysol and wipes! I tell the kids do NOT touch anything until I am done spraying. I don't know if it really works, but I feel better anyway! Since we cannot take them on the plane anymore, we have to stop and pick some up before we enter the hotel room.....

Magical JenK
01-26-2008, 12:09 AM
Ahh man, I avoided this thread for 2 weeks & now I'm all itchy!! YIKES! I don't know anything about bed bugs & I think I was happier then...now I know & I'm going to be all paranoid about them....:goodnight:

lmroyea
01-26-2008, 01:26 AM
Ahh man, I avoided this thread for 2 weeks & now I'm all itchy!! YIKES! I don't know anything about bed bugs & I think I was happier then...now I know & I'm going to be all paranoid about them....:goodnight:

I completely agree! I always thought bed bugs were tiny little things that you could only see with a microscope. Now I realize those are dust mites, and bed bugs are entirely different! All I can say is YUCK! I'm definitely going to pay closer attention next time I stay somewhere.

Anna
01-26-2008, 04:04 AM
They said on our local news they paid the family 5,000 dollars and a free future trip to keep quiet.

WOW!!! :angel:

Now I am itching all over!!