PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland - Club 33

m4travels
01-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Sigh........

Well, 5 years ago Partner Dude and I put in our application for Club 33, the "exclusive" club above New Orleans Square at Disneyland. Life was good, jobs were secure, all the good stuff.

Fast forward to yesterday. I received my letter from 33 Royal St., New Orleans Square, Disneyland Park telling me that all I need to do is send in a boatload of money and starting February 1, 2008, I will be an official member of Club 33.

Remember I said a boatload of money??? I could almost buy a brand new contract with DVC for the amount needed for the first year - and then there are the annual dues! When we put ourselves on the wait list 5 years ago it wasn't quite this high. High, yes, but it seemed managable at the time.

After discussions over dinner last night (get this - NOT A DROP OF ALCOHOL!!!) we sort of came to the decision that while it would be nice to be part of this exclusive group, it really isn't all that necessary in the grand scheme of life. Now we can just funnel the funds (or is that launder???) toward our new love, DCL!

Partner Dude's put out a bit more than I, so I think tonight there will be margs for dinner

It was a fun thought while we played with it.

(and ALL that just written, we're still REALLY not sure...)

Hedy
01-17-2008, 06:06 PM
:( That stinks. I'm sorry.

bbangel
01-17-2008, 06:16 PM
In the grand scheme of things I think you are making the right decision. Of course I say that not really knowing what the benefits of membership are.

jnorth1007
01-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Honey it would be enough for me to know that I got accepted LOL. I would frame that sucker and let it be.

m4travels
01-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Honey it would be enough for me to know that I got accepted LOL. I would frame that sucker and let it be.

We've already got the shadow box picked out!

Mandi
01-17-2008, 06:54 PM
My first thought is, "hell, I wish I could even be invited to dine there once, let alone have a membership!" :rotfl: You lucky ducks!

What are the rules at Club 33? Can you get a couple of other people to go in with you and then "invite" them to use your membership to dine from time to time? That way you wouldn't be out so much yourself? I'm assuming that's against Disneyland's policy, but just a thought.

m 'n c
01-17-2008, 07:27 PM
I had no idea that they actually charged for membership nor that it would cost almost the same as DVC. yikes!

m4travels
01-17-2008, 08:24 PM
My first thought is, "hell, I wish I could even be invited to dine there once, let alone have a membership!" :rotfl: You lucky ducks!

What are the rules at Club 33? Can you get a couple of other people to go in with you and then "invite" them to use your membership to dine from time to time? That way you wouldn't be out so much yourself? I'm assuming that's against Disneyland's policy, but just a thought.

It's really funny. Partner dude had been out here for years before I arrived on the scene. He and his family lived in Burbank and when "family" would come out to visit everyone would make the obligatory trek to D'land.

I moved out to L.A. in '83 (long before some of you were born!). I knew about Club 33 from the moment I walked into the park the first time (after paying $20 for an entrance fee!) as it was pointed out to me that this was the ONLY place in D'land where one could get an adult beverage. I knew nothing at that time about how to even begin applying for a membership.

PD knew all about ticket books since that was what they had in the darker ages but knew nothing about 33. On our first trip there I pointed it out to him and he said, "huh?"

When I started my new job one of my coworkers, a woman in her 70s, knew I loved Disney and said that any time I'd like to go to this club at the park to let her know and she'd get me in. Yeah, right......

That was 5 years ago. She never asked for anything such as a donation to help offset the annual dues. We did offer the 2nd year and she graciously accepted the offer but made it known to us that Disney definitely frowns on this if they find out. I do believe that many people do have others who "assist," but it is supposedly against the rules.

I had no idea that they actually charged for membership nor that it would cost almost the same as DVC. yikes!

Oh my, do they charge. Think country club EXCEPT there really is no benefit. You pay a large membership fee and then you have annual dues. The thing is, and many of you will probably shake your head and say HUH???, you still are paying for your complete meal at the Club. Your dues don't offset the meal whatsoever. You do get a day pass park hopper, but you are also expected to spend a minimum of what the park hopper cost. Now, that has NEVER been a problem with us as our tabs always seem to climb, but I would like a little something back for the outlay.

So, what's the draw, you ask. It's really hard to explain. I've eaten there probably about 15 times and almost every time we've had the same waiter. There was a lull that we didn't go and before my coworker left this earth, she asked if we wanted to go back as she was making some reservations for other folks. We said sure. We weren't able to get Louis as our server that night, but as we came up the stairs he saw us and went WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??? We've missed you!!!

It had been almost 18 months since we had been up there and he still remembered us (and we him, but that's a totally 'nuther story).

It's magical. You are up above the hustle and bustle of New Orleans Square and being waited on by tux-suited waiters. You're not rushed. You can have a libation if you want. You can have two! There aren't the hordes of crowds pushing you around. It's a wonderful little oasis in the middle of heaven!

Meals are not always perfect but we've never gone astray with their Chateaubriand. You can slice through that hunk of meat with one tine of your fork. Put a nice full-bodied Cab with that, and, heck, why go anywhere else...

So again, I say, sigh.............

Thanks for letting me let my mind wander. This hasn't been the most cohesive of postings, but.........

Be well, everyone. May you enjoy all you have; that is what's really important.
Thanks, SR

bs4free
01-17-2008, 09:31 PM
That was great news about getting accepted, Bad about the butloads of $$$, and that you will not be accepting the offer, but i think for the butloads of $$$ your new love DCL will be much enjoyed and did you not say that their is a resturant like club 33 but that anyone can go to i think it was at DCA????

m4travels
01-17-2008, 09:37 PM
That was great news about getting accepted, Bad about the butloads of $$$, and that you will not be accepting the offer, but i think for the butloads of $$$ your new love DCL will be much enjoyed and did you not say that their is a resturant like club 33 but that anyone can go to i think it was at DCA????
Yes, there is a great restaurant at DCA, The Vineyard Room, but we were getting a bit scared that with the remodel that's going to go on there that they'd be yanking that out. We chatted with a few of high mucky-mucks over there and while they can't really say too much they've basically said the restaurant is safe.

Now, it was not the most pleasant of dining experiences on NYE because of the wind whipping through there. THAT would have been a great time for 33!!!:sunshine:

DisneyMa
01-17-2008, 11:59 PM
We have never had Louis. We usually have Randy. He is a teacher and works at the club part time. It's amazing how well they start to know you after just a few times there! We went in October and the price was great for our day ticket and meal, but it is definately something we can't afford every trip!! Not to mention the membership cost.:eek:

As far as the club goes, it's a honor to be nominated!!:rotfl: