PDA

View Full Version : Disney Visa Question

m 'n c
04-12-2011, 06:21 PM
I remember that there is a limit of 800 disney dollars per year. Is there a limit or cap on how many reward dollars you can put on your card in a given year?

sammielynn
04-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Good question, I looked for an answer and couldn't find one.

m 'n c
04-15-2011, 09:14 AM
I'll give them an email and post the response. We will have like 4 years built up by the time we go again and well you just never know how many dollars will be built up by then.

PSL1013
04-15-2011, 10:01 AM
I'll give them an email and post the response. We will have like 4 years built up by the time we go again and well you just never know how many dollars will be built up by then.

I know the points start to expire at some point, I'm thinking two maybe three years at the most....I just put all my points onto the rewards card and some of my points where expiring in the year 2013 and 2014, I cash out every year when we purchase our AP so I don't pay too much attention. I can't go back and look because they are gone from my account now but I do remember seeing that. I do know that the rewards card itself expires in one year and you do have to use them or lose them.

m 'n c
04-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the reminder. 2013 is when they start to expire and Sept 2012 is when we are looking to go again.

PSL1013
04-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the reminder. 2013 is when they start to expire and Sept 2012 is when we are looking to go again.

Good, you're ok then!

m 'n c
04-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Alrighty. Just read all of the fine print. There is no limit on how many dollars you can earn in a year and there is nothing about a cap on how many you can put on your card.

You have 1 calendar year after the year you cash out to use your dollars before they expire.

So we should be good!

~Kathie
04-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Another expiration date to keep an eye out for is the rewards card itself. I transferred rewards points last September to my card. The points didn't expire until 2012 but the card expires 12-2011. Once you transfer to a card, you have to use it all before the card expiration date.

PSL1013
04-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Another expiration date to keep an eye out for is the rewards card itself. I transferred rewards points last September to my card. The points didn't expire until 2012 but the card expires 12-2011. Once you transfer to a card, you have to use it all before the card expiration date.

That's what I tried to say in my last sentence above, maybe it wasn't clear :D ...this is why I make sure to redeem right before I want to use them...you can even redeem the points onto a rewards card right at Disney's customer service either downtown or at any of the parks. I had a card already that I picked up while at Disney last time, all I had to do is activate it and add the rewards on to it...it expires 12/11.

zoodoyle
04-16-2011, 07:44 PM
What I've done in the past, to avoid the expiration problem, is cash out my rewards, then as soon as I get them, turn around and use them to buy a disney gift card for the same amount, then that one never expires! :sunshine: Hopefully that's still possible, haven't done it in a while!

m 'n c
04-17-2011, 10:13 AM
What I've done in the past, to avoid the expiration problem, is cash out my rewards, then as soon as I get them, turn around and use them to buy a disney gift card for the same amount, then that one never expires! :sunshine: Hopefully that's still possible, haven't done it in a while!

That is a really good idea. If my plans fall through then that would be the best way to save the reward dollars. I'm looking forward to booking the vacation but it is way too early for that since there are too many variables right now. :(

liviesmomma
07-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know about what credit score is needed to get one? I just applied and rec'd the email that says i should hear something in 15-30 days but didnt get an instant decision... My husband says I probably didnt get it :(

SCard
07-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Does anyone know about what credit score is needed to get one? I just applied and rec'd the email that says i should hear something in 15-30 days but didnt get an instant decision... My husband says I probably didnt get it :(

I got the same response when I applied on line and the Disney Visa credit card was in my mailbox about 10 days later. :):) So that response may not mean that you will not get the card.

m 'n c
07-04-2011, 02:36 PM
I don't think they auto approve anyone online. I had to go through the same process. I wish at the time I would have done a joint card but Mike and I weren't engaged. They are such a PITA that I've only been able to make him an authorized user and not a joint holder.

speechteachri
07-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Is the 800 reward dollars you can earn per calendar year???

I need to go back through my statements and see where mine stands.

Thanks

m 'n c
07-05-2011, 12:12 PM
I thought I read they dropped the 800/year cap. I'm not 100% sure though.

Does anyone know if you can still use the reward dollars to buy a disney gift card? I was thinking about doing that soon just so I don't have to worry about expiration of the dollars.

speechteachri
07-05-2011, 03:29 PM
I thought I read they dropped the 800/year cap. I'm not 100% sure though.

Does anyone know if you can still use the reward dollars to buy a disney gift card? I was thinking about doing that soon just so I don't have to worry about expiration of the dollars.

Yes, that is what I always do. I transfer all my reward dollars over, then when I hit whatever amount I am striving for I go online and use the rewards points for a giftcard.

I just transferred another $100 in rewards today...after this month's billing cyle I might have enough to transfer another $100...maybe 2 billing cycles (I did leave some rewards in my account) then when I have $500 on my rewards card I will buy a $500 giftcard! Yay!

m 'n c
07-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Awesome! I will be doing that soon.

Weluvdisny
07-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Did anyone get a survey from DV in their e-mail? I took it today and they are looking at doing a premier DV (you would just upgrade from your current one). It will cost you $49/year but you will always get 2xs the reward dollars. You will also get 5xs the rewards over $300 (I think) for the first 3 months you get your card on dining, gas, groceries and airline.

The big new thing is that if you use your DV to purchase flights, you can use your reward points to pay that part of your DV. I think that's a good idea. Espcially for those of us that take trips to WDW or other places and don't have an airline card to rack up miles.

Oh, and they have some new designs too. A red card with Sorcerer Mickey and an all green card with Tinkerbell. Also a red Cars card. There are a few more designs but I can't think of them now.

What do you guys think?

m 'n c
07-18-2011, 08:45 PM
I already pay an annual fee on my Southwest card and my American Express. I think I'll stay with the free Visa.

I hate paying annual fees and if my Amex wasn't my 2nd oldest credit card I'd close it. We fly Southwest so that card is worth it for us since no other reward programs offer Southwest points/rewards.

It does sound like a good idea if you go to Disney every year though. Since we try and do different things each year we wouldn't want to be pinned down with a specific vacation destination reward credit card if that makes sense.

PSL1013
07-18-2011, 09:08 PM
I got the survey too and got kicked out after they asked the question "would I be willing to pay an annual fee to use the card" when I said NO, that ended the survey. I don't want to pay any fees either, I like the card just the way it is.

speechteachri
07-18-2011, 10:10 PM
I would do it for a once a year fee of $49 IF there was no limit on the amount of reward dollars you could earn on the card per calendar year. It would be worth it for me for the 2X rewards, since I pay everything I can on it and pay it off every month.:)

PSL1013
07-18-2011, 10:26 PM
I would do it for a once a year fee of $49 IF there was no limit on the amount of reward dollars you could earn on the card per calendar year. It would be worth it for me for the 2X rewards, since I pay everything I can on it and pay it off every month.:)

I agree with you, I would definitely do it if they didn't limit the amount. I also put everything on this card and pay it off at the end of the month...it pays for almost two annual passes for us every year and if they 2x some of the rewards, it would be well worth it.

chipndale
07-18-2011, 10:39 PM
I agree that if there wasn't a limit to the amount of reward dollars that you can earn, it would be worth it to have the card with the $49 annual fee. We put everything on the card and pay it off at the end of the month.

Weluvdisny
07-21-2011, 11:57 PM
I feel the same way as you guys because I pay mine off every month too. I don't think it said anything about there being a yearly cap for the rewards.

For me, I seem to get the postcard in the mail alot for the bonus points already, w/o having to pay the annual fee. Sometimes the monthly cap is higher than others, so it doesn't work out to too many points. I'd like to be guaranteed the points with the premier card.

speechteachri
07-22-2011, 07:51 AM
I feel the same way as you guys because I pay mine off every month too. I don't think it said anything about there being a yearly cap for the rewards.

For me, I seem to get the postcard in the mail alot for the bonus points already, w/o having to pay the annual fee. Sometimes the monthly cap is higher than others, so it doesn't work out to too many points. I'd like to be guaranteed the points with the premier card.

I don't know about the yearly cap anymore...I guess I am going to have to call...Cate said in an earlier post that she thinks they changed this. As far as the extra reward dollars that you get offers for in the mail, the only time this has really worked significantly to my advantage is when I got one right before we went to Disney two years ago and I still hadn't purchased my plant tickets. Otherwise, I just don't spend enough in gas, groceries and eating out to make it worthwhile. However, 2x reward on all overall purchases without a cap would definitely be worth $49 per year.

mollyeilis
07-26-2011, 08:01 PM
From the Earning Rewards section of the FAQ on the Disney Visa webpage:

Is there a limit to the number of Disney Dream Reward Dollars I can earn?

There is no limit to the number of Disney Dream Reward Dollars you can earn in this program.

It also answers how long points take to expire:

Disney Dream Reward Dollars in your Disney Rewards® account will expire 5 years from the date they are earned (and posted to your account).

while

Disney Dream Reward Dollars transferred onto a Disney Rewards® Redemption Card expire on the expiration date printed on the rewards card.

speechteachri
07-27-2011, 02:37 PM
From the Earning Rewards section of the FAQ on the Disney Visa webpage:

It also answers how long points take to expire:

while

Thanks!~

chipndale
02-22-2012, 12:10 AM
Yes, that is what I always do. I transfer all my reward dollars over, then when I hit whatever amount I am striving for I go online and use the rewards points for a giftcard.

I just transferred another $100 in rewards today...after this month's billing cyle I might have enough to transfer another $100...maybe 2 billing cycles (I did leave some rewards in my account) then when I have $500 on my rewards card I will buy a $500 giftcard! Yay!

Has anyone tried this recently? I have a lot of Disney dollars that start to expire the end of this year. I would really like to plan a trip this year but we are saving for a Disney cruise in 2013. I would really like to save the dollars that are going to expire.

couponqueen
02-22-2012, 09:49 AM
I have. You can go The Disney Store website and order gift cards and pay with your redemption card (you'll enter the card number).

There have been times I have money left on my redemption card after a Disney trip (I sometimes use it to pay my bill on the last day). I turn those extra points into a gift card at the store. Of course, it has to be even amounts like $25, $50, etc.

chipndale
02-23-2012, 12:17 AM
I have. You can go The Disney Store website and order gift cards and pay with your redemption card (you'll enter the card number).

There have been times I have money left on my redemption card after a Disney trip (I sometimes use it to pay my bill on the last day). I turn those extra points into a gift card at the store. Of course, it has to be even amounts like $25, $50, etc.

Thanks! I guess I better order my card and make a trip to the Disney store.

Jennydanielle27
01-19-2015, 12:35 PM
I know this post is old, but I have been thinking about obtaining one of these cards and have a question. When you purchase your GC with reward points, can you shop through SR and receive credit?

RENITA
01-28-2015, 08:55 AM
I have used Disney gift cards through SR.