PDA

View Full Version : I am still steaming.....

sunshinecindy
01-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Ok. let me preface this. In florida from Oct to March every year we get the "snowbirds". Those are the people that drive 20 miles under the speed limit, in the left lane because they are making a left turn 22 miles down the road and can't switch lanes, because they can't see over the steering wheel or their white knuckles. Ok, got that. They also infiltrate all the restaurants, especially at happy hour or that 4-6 hr that dinners are lower iin price, you with me so far.
Ok, tonight, Jeff and I were seated in a little local restaurant pretty close to the tv and we were watching Sports Center (Brady is in a walking cast, but thats another store, oh ya, one I didn't get to see), as we were watching it, some "snowbird" gets the waitress to change the channel cause he just sat down and didn't want to watch that, so I instructed my waiter to change it back. When he tried, the little blue haired guy got up and yelled at him. The waiter came over all apologetic, so, I got up and went over to the old fart and told him that I was watching the tv first and he had no right to change it. He told me he wanted to watch basketball and that he had been watching it and Sportcenter was over. I told him he was a liar, that I saw him walk in and that Sports center was NOT over and that he was nothing but an old rude man and I walked away. Jeff just sat there looking at me. The waiter came over and wanted to laugh, but instead he told us how fed up he is with these snowbirds coming in and acting all superior and like they own the place. We were done eating so we were leaving anyway or I would have just changed it back. The snowbird and family wouldnt even look over. How rude some people are, and an AARP card doesn't give you rude benefits, after all, I have one too.

icartjetta
01-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Cindy, I see your eye is feeling better! That's a good thing!:)

m 'n c
01-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Go Cindy! Glad you stood up to the guy. I hate when people change tv stations at the gym or worse yet when the freaking girl comes in while I am deep into my workout, sees me sweating up a storm, and proceeds to turn off the ceiling fans on me. People should be courteous and ask first!

lmroyea
01-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Glad to see at leat you got your spirit back! That would be really annoying and I'm glad you said something, too many people just let things go because they're too embarrased to say something and stand up for themselve's. It's good you put your foot down, especially after the last few days you've had. Let us know if you need the SR mafia, I'm sure we can arrange something...:rotfl:

bellanlivismom
01-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Hey my husband has mafia connections ;) Okay, he really does but that is another story! I hope you at least enjoyed your dinner!!

DisneyMa
01-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Cindy, that was funny!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Glad you went over and gave him a piece of your attitude!!

sunshinecindy
01-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Hey my husband has mafia connections ;) Okay, he really does but that is another story! I hope you at least enjoyed your dinner!!

I grew up with the Mafia. I could tell you some stories. When I was little I played in the backroom of a candy store and a toy store that were both mafia owned. When I got older and was in a bad relationship, they offered to "take care of the situation while I was out of town".

My dinner was great. The French Onion soup was perfect.

Hedy
01-22-2008, 10:16 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
At least you're feeling better.

There was a classic bit in the local papers a few years ago about how long it takes to get to the early bird special in Naples, FL.

Magical JenK
01-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Oh Cindy....when your eye is better, will you be sure to send your "How to Be Cindylike, Take No Crap from No One! ...even the bluehaireds" handbook to me? I'll PM you w/my address & I'll even send a self-addressed stamped envelope to speed up the process! :rotfl: Lord, you crack me up & good for you!

Oooh you don't know how much this intrigues me! Ever since I watched "Married to the Mob" way back when, I soooo wanted to always be part of the mafia! Wearing cool clothes, cracking my gum, running away from gunshots....ahhh...dreams....

chipndale
01-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Way to go Cindy. Glad that you stood up for yourself!

coastalgirl
01-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Cindy, first, glad to see you are feeling better. Second, I can so agree with the whole snowbird thing. We get them here too and they are so rude and slow. And now with Mardi Gras approaching they get right in front of ya and don't want to move and then want to ask ya ten thousand questions about what is going on. I just want to shove'em in the road under a float. :rotfl:

My uncle married into the mob. She is the coolest aunt I have. I learned so much from her family! :D

fourfoxesinpa
01-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Take solace in this...you get the birds for 3 or 4 months. We get them for the rest of the year! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

bs4free
01-23-2008, 12:50 AM
Take solace in this...you get the birds for 3 or 4 months. We get them for the rest of the year! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Yep i know just what you mean, I wish some of the ones that are still in NY would just flock away...

So Sorry Cindy that you had such a rude guy like that during your dinner! I am glad you did not just let him get his way! and just another reason why i am glad that cindy is working for SR she get's it DONE!!!!

linanglab
01-23-2008, 06:04 AM
I remember in driving school way back when, our instructor told us to watch out for old men in hats. Never really knew what he was talking about. It didin't take TOO much time for me to understand. DH and my conversations's will sound like this sometimes "some people shouldn't get behind the steering wheel! I was behind an old man in a hat!" That means, slow driving and stopping before they turn right. You can't see anything but a hat sticking out of the front drivers seat.....

Good for you to stand up to him. I couldn't. I am a fish. No backbone....

spring
01-23-2008, 06:41 AM
Today is our last day in Fort Lauderdale for my husband's business trip. I could have written your story. This area is full of little old people driving way under the speed limit on roads they have no place to be on. They won't get killed, just cause the accidents that get other people killed. Yesterday, while my DH was in conference, I went down to the hotel lobby to pick up a bottle of water. I could barely get through. The place looked like a retirement home! When they are not driving or changing TV stations in restaurants, they are taking over hotel lobbies! HELP! New England, here I come, cold weather and all!

nolacindy
01-23-2008, 07:43 AM
I just want to shove'em in the road under a float. :rotfl:

Ahhh good times! The parades are just starting and you already want to throw them under floats! I love it!

jl8595
01-23-2008, 08:16 AM
LOL! Your thread gave me a good chuckle this morning Cindy! The blue haired man comment was hilarious...we call them "Q-Tips" in our neck of the woods. Glad you stuck up for yourself - I'd have done the exact same thing. I can't STAND rude people.

sunshinecindy
01-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Today is our last day in Fort Lauderdale for my husband's business trip. I could have written your story. This area is full of little old people driving way under the speed limit on roads they have no place to be on. They won't get killed, just cause the accidents that get other people killed. Yesterday, while my DH was in conference, I went down to the hotel lobby to pick up a bottle of water. I could barely get through. The place looked like a retirement home! When they are not driving or changing TV stations in restaurants, they are taking over hotel lobbies! HELP! New England, here I come, cold weather and all!

Yep, you are exactly right. Thats what us "locals" put up with all winter. And this winter is especially bad because (sorry megan) the Canadian dollar equals ours and they are here by the groves since their dollar is going further then it ever has.

God willing we'll all be there someday too....but feel free to "shove me under the float" if I act like they do.

SunshineGirl
01-23-2008, 09:30 AM
God willing we'll all be there someday too....but feel free to "shove me under the float" if I act like they do.

I think I'll print this out and keep a copy of it just in case. :rotfl:

LuvMyBoys
01-23-2008, 09:45 AM
I feel your pain!!! What is it about being elderly that makes people think they can act like total jerks and we should just take it??? :confused:

I am always glad when they take flight and head south for the winter!! We are surrounded by them b/c we live on a lake and let me tell you, they are some of the worst and rudest neighbors we've ever had!! So much for the stereotypes of sweet old ladies and nice old gentlemen!!

Your thread made me feel much better, I was still steaming from my drive into work this morning when some dumba** decided they would pull into the coney island but instead of getting in the turn lane, decided to come to a stop in the lane and make his turn from there! :mad:

I almost hit the car in front of me and the car behind me swerved up on the right side of me b/c he couldn't stop. My lunch went flying, my purse dumped over on the floor, and I was swearing up a storm and honking. Great start to the morning!! :mad:

linanglab
01-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Lydia - When I am a "Q-Tip" (LOVE that phrase! Never heard it before!), I will make sure that if I am in your area, that I will not go to ANY parades! I don't want to become PART of a float!

And sorry to say....but ALL of us will end up being old and annoying one of these days! I just pray that I will know when it is time to turn in my license! I think the older folk should start retaking their driving tests by a certain age.

However, my plan is to retire at Disney. Since I want to work there, I will just use Disney transportation and nobody will ever have to deal with my "old" traits!

mollyeilis
01-23-2008, 10:54 PM
I think the older folk should start retaking their driving tests by a certain age.

My state (WA) is trying to get a way to do that. But that pesky concept of age discrimination gets in their way, so they have started randomly testing people when they get their renewals.

How do I know this? Because DH had to retest, written and driving, when he went for his renewal last year! Ended up having to drive an hour away and take the driving test on his birthday!!!

Luckily he passed. :)

Cindy, sorry about the rude person changing the station on ya.