PDA

View Full Version : Be on the lookout for Reader's Digest and Everday with Rachael Ray auto sign-up

TIAMOMMA
06-03-2007, 10:52 AM
UUUUUGGGHHH! After the automatic BMG sign up and receiving Reader's Digest a week or so ago without requesting it I got real paranoid and spent hours yesterday going through my G-mail (over 17,000 spam notices it 1 account, less than a month old and over 4,000 in the other approx. 2 weeks old!). I found that there was an email for "Bill Enclosed, Everyday with Rachael Ray" - it was sent on May 17th but I haven't received the magazine yet.

This is becoming too much of a hassle, I'm always careful about the free offers, I never sign up for the bigger offers unless I want the product for this reason! So, I just wanted to give fair warning to everyone to really keep a close eye on their spam files and email accounts. I never look in them since I never sign up for anything using those accounts but when I went through all of the junk mail yesterday I did see the BMG notice - very sneaky, so since I didn't respond to opt out they opted me in.

bbangel
06-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I once got Reader's Digest without signing up for it. I was very puzzled. Drove me nuts trying to figure out why they had sent it to me. Turned out someone had given me a gift subscription but hadn't told me!

TIAMOMMA
06-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Unfortunately, it wasn't a gift subscription, even though I will say that the customer service at Reader's Digest was real nice about it and said they would cancel it. Oddly, I never saw a spam message from Reader's Digest when I went through everything yesterday, just the one for Rachael Ray.

Mandi
06-03-2007, 11:15 AM
That happened to me too with RD. I have no idea how I got signed up. I got a bill in the mail and was like WTH?! I emailed them and they immediately cancelled without any problems at all. At least that wasn't too hard. Still ticked me off though that I was signed up for something without my permission. :mad:

lilianddomsmom
06-03-2007, 11:42 AM
some of the sign ups from readers digest and that are coming from the little offers that are done on things like MID when they say click yes to at least one offer. read very closely what it says next to it because some of them say try this product for $xx.xx

TIAMOMMA
06-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Yes, I see that and I'm always careful to pick one that says "for free info" on the MID offers. The thing that concerned me about the Everyday with Rachael Ray invoice is that it doesn't indicate it's from Reader's Digest and it has a link for the invoice (but oddly without an account number) and a link to pay via cc.

m 'n c
06-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Yes, I see that and I'm always careful to pick one that says "for free info" on the MID offers. The thing that concerned me about the Everyday with Rachael Ray invoice is that it doesn't indicate it's from Reader's Digest and it has a link for the invoice (but oddly without an account number) and a link to pay via cc.

Everyday is published by RD. I love the magazine and its worth the money but I hate RD so I refuse to subscribe anymore. I buy at the checkout counter which I know costs more but I hate how they threaten to send you to collections over an overdue bill which is really a renewal notice but not disclosed that way. not a way to win over customers you know.

cglaura
06-04-2007, 12:03 PM

I definitely wouldn't give them cc info. I would wait to see if you get the magazine, and usually you'll get an invoice in the mail. You can just write cancel and mail back. That happened to me w/ Better Homes & Gardens, but for the same reason as mentioned above, I checked it off by accident on one of the surveys...I thought it was a free email newsletter. Anyway, they cancelled and I didn't receive any other magazines.

~Kathie
06-04-2007, 12:08 PM
They are getting sneaky. If I have to check yes to something, I have always checked M******* if it's one of the options. I'm already a member and it's nothing I have to pay for.

TIAMOMMA
06-04-2007, 01:04 PM
No, I didn't give any cc info - I'll just wait to see if the magazine came in. They thing that bothered me about the email is that it doesn't indicate it's from Reader's Digest (I know they own Everyday with RR).