PDA

View Full Version : Job Hunting - Think Good Thoughts for me ..

wdwabby
02-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Hey guys - I know I haven't been around a whole lot lately, and many of you probably don't even remember or know who I am. Hi, I'm Abby!

I just really need some good thoughts and prayers. I've been looking for a new job and so far the search has been fruitless. My current position was the first job I was offered out of grad school, but has absolutely nothing to do with my career field and has no opportunities for growth or advancement. The work environment is viral, at best and I can honestly say has changed me as a person - and not in a good way.

I am sending off a few resumes for positions andreally hope to be considered for because they're actually in my career field, even though I'll probably be tossed out because I have a masters degree (biggest mistake I've ever made for a number of reasons) Just think good thoughts. I'm so discouraged and I really would give anything just to get an interview, much less have any hope of getting one of these jobs. I'm not doing too well financially either and couldn't sleep last night because I have myself so stressed out. I've promised my dad a trip to Disney in December (a no-frills trip) as a reward if he is able to lose weight and I WILL figure out a way to pay for that no matter what because his health and having him not die is more important to me than any amount of money and thankfully the deposit is in the mail from the special cashout, but that's weighing on me too.

The weather is awful here - currently freezing rain on top of snow and I have to work late in the office tonight so by the time I get out it'll be late and it will have frozen over, so that's got me worried as well. I just feel like such a useless wreck these days, which is part of why I haven't been around either. I'm not happy and I just don't feel like doing anything when I finally get home from work each day. Just cross your fingers and pray that maybe something will come of these next few openings I'm applying for ... and that some of these things start turning around ...

if you've gotten this far, thanks for listening. I'll crawl back into my cave now ...

LuvMyBoys
02-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Hey Abby I've been wondering about you! Sorry to hear that things aren't going well with the job search or with your current job - same situation here. :(

I know what you are saying with this depressing economy and weather here in Michigan right now - it's hard to get out of bed most days!!

I will send lots of :sunshine: and :hugs: and positive thoughts your way so you can get an interview and find a good job in your career field!

BTW, what is your career field? (If you don't mind sharing)

jl8595
02-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Oh, Abby! You need a BIG one of these...:hugs:

Life is full of ups and downs and the downs can be so hard to struggle through sometimes but there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. Think positive - it can do wonders! And by all means - vent away - that's what we're here for!! :)

wdwabby
02-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Hey Abby I've been wondering about you! Sorry to hear that things aren't going well with the job search or with your current job - same situation here. :(

I know what you are saying with this depressing economy and weather here in Michigan right now - it's hard to get out of bed most days!!

I will send lots of :sunshine: and :hugs: and positive thoughts your way so you can get an interview and find a good job in your career field!

BTW, what is your career field? (If you don't mind sharing)

Thanks - I know I'm just going through a rough time right now, but it's been going on for so long it's hard not to let it get to you ...

My bachelors is in public relations and my masters is in sport administration/marketing and there's just nothing available in Michigan - and not really a whole lot in the midwest - and if there is, they're not being posted. It feels so hopeless :(

chipndale
02-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Remember we are all here for you. Each of us has our own unique set of problems and that is what makes Sunshine so special. No one tries to say that my problems are worse than yours. Everyone understands that no matter what your problems are we are still here to help - offer advise, listen, and sometimes just a shoulder to cry on.

Does your masters degree make you over qualified for the jobs you are applying for? Have you tried to send resumes to companies that you would be interested in working for? Good luck with the job search - it can be very frustrating. Keep you head up and remember it always seems to get worse before it does get better. This helps you to become a stronger person.

LuvMyBoys
02-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks - I know I'm just going through a rough time right now, but it's been going on for so long it's hard not to let it get to you ...

My bachelors is in public relations and my masters is in sport administration/marketing and there's just nothing available in Michigan - and not really a whole lot in the midwest - and if there is, they're not being posted. It feels so hopeless :(

Wow, that does have to be a hard one to find open jobs in - especially in this area.

My little sister has her degree in marketing she ended up taking a job with a consulting company doing business consulting/analyst which is not really her forte but eventually she can work into the marketing department. The pay and benefits are good and she was able to stay in Michigan like she wanted. Would something like that be an option?

Also I can't remember if you work for one of the colleges? It seems like the smaller colleges might be a source of that kind of work?

Try to keep your chin up, I know that the endless job search without even getting interviews takes a major toll on the self esteem :( Just know that you are smart, capable, and an asset to whomever hires you - you just have to find that right job....and you WILL (it just may take awhile) :)

linanglab
02-06-2008, 12:38 PM
SOOO sorry Abby. I understand struggling a bit in the financial category. We have been able to keep our head above water, but still cannot WAIT for our income tax money to come in. DH's job went to 12 hour shifts a couple years ago, which cut out alot of overtime. It cut our income a good 20,000 a year. I do not work really, so that was a HUGE chunk. Plus, with gas increasing SO much, and my grocery bill getting more expensive because of food prices, it gets a bit stressful.

I keep thinking that I should start working outside the home, but I have no education (went to college 3 years, but got married instead of graduating....dumb, dumb, dumb - not that I don't love my DH, but you know what I mean). So, anything I would get, probably would not be worth it when you add in gas money, clothing, and daycare (which I am not keen on letting my kids go to a sitter). I really want my summers off, so a school position is the only option for me. But I am not qualified for anything. Thinking about going back to school, but again....that costs money.

I hope that you find something that you really enjoy. It is important to find something you like to do, or it makes life unenjoyable. Keep sending those resumes out, and crossing my fingers that something PERFECT comes your way!

Hedy
02-06-2008, 12:57 PM
:hugs: :sunshine2: :hugs: :hugs:
Best wishes. And you know we here at SR are here anytime.

m 'n c
02-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Oh Abby I have been there. My first degree was pretty worthless to me when I graduated because I hadn't bothered to work in my field at all during college (dumb move by me) and my college didn't teach the right computer programs/software/coding/etc. So I had to go back to school as well to get a completely new degree and to try and find a job as well.

I know jobs are tight up there but have you considered calling a recruiter in your area to help find job leads? Recruiters are free as the companies that hire their references pay their commission. It might also be an avenue for you to look into career wise as recruiting is all about marketing the interviewee. The biggest one here in Houston is Robert Half recruiters so start there and see if they can help.

~Kathie
02-06-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm so discouraged and I really would give anything just to get an interview, much less have any hope of getting one of these jobs. I'm not doing too well financially either and couldn't sleep last night because I have myself so stressed out. ..

Abby....don't get discouraged. Your job is out there....waiting for you. You'll find it....I know you will.

:hugs: and good thoughts coming you way.

Just remember when God give you lemons..........make lemonade!

I keep thinking that I should start working outside the home, but I have no education (went to college 3 years, but got married instead of graduating....dumb, dumb, dumb - not that I don't love my DH, but you know what I mean). So, anything I would get, probably would not be worth it when you add in gas money, clothing, and daycare (which I am not keen on letting my kids go to a sitter). I really want my summers off, so a school position is the only option for me. But I am not qualified for anything. Thinking about going back to school, but again....that costs money.

Angela, please don't sell yourself short. You run a household and are raising three children. You have computer skills, organization skills, nursing skills, cooking skills and many more if you think about it.

Sit down and write down all the things you do on a day to day basis and you will have a resume. You will be surprised at what you come up with. And go apply for that job at the school as a teacher's aid or in the lunch room or as a clerk in the library or office.

Good luck to both of you. You can do it.!!! :hugs:

wdwabby
02-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Oh, Abby! You need a BIG one of these...:hugs

Life is full of ups and downs and the downs can be so hard to struggle through sometimes but there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. Think positive - it can do wonders! And by all means - vent away - that's what we're here for!!

thanks : ) it's always hard to admit that things just aren't going well, but it's nice to know I can come here and have this kind of support

Remember we are all here for you. Each of us has our own unique set of problems and that is what makes Sunshine so special. No one tries to say that my problems are worse than yours. Everyone understands that no matter what your problems are we are still here to help - offer advise, listen, and sometimes just a shoulder to cry on.

Does your masters degree make you over qualified for the jobs you are applying for? Have you tried to send resumes to companies that you would be interested in working for? Good luck with the job search - it can be very frustrating. Keep you head up and remember it always seems to get worse before it does get better. This helps you to become a stronger person.

Thanks - and like I said, I don't have proof that my masters is knocking me out of consideration, but I have a pretty strong suspicion. I've applied to well over 100 jobs and am starting to look pretty serious - I have a top 10 list of companies that I check for openings on a weekly basis (for if I'd be able to work there in a best case scenario) and I look on the career posting sites, etc. I know I just have to hang in there, but it just gets so frustrating!

Wow, that does have to be a hard one to find open jobs in - especially in this area.

My little sister has her degree in marketing she ended up taking a job with a consulting company doing business consulting/analyst which is not really her forte but eventually she can work into the marketing department. The pay and benefits are good and she was able to stay in Michigan like she wanted. Would something like that be an option?

Also I can't remember if you work for one of the colleges? It seems like the smaller colleges might be a source of that kind of work?

Try to keep your chin up, I know that the endless job search without even getting interviews takes a major toll on the self esteem : ( Just know that you are smart, capable, and an asset to whomever hires you - you just have to find that right job....and you WILL (it just may take awhile) : )

Yup, I do work for one of the colleges, but in admissions - basically I do a lot of file review (aka just sitting in front of the computer) and go on the road to recruit. I have no desire to stay in higher ed unless it's actually in a PR/marketing context ... at this point I'm just aiming for something to get me back in the PR/marketing field because my current job is SO FAR out of it and the longer it takes me to get into the field, the less likely it is that I'll be able to at all.

SOOO sorry Abby. I understand struggling a bit in the financial category. We have been able to keep our head above water, but still cannot WAIT for our income tax money to come in. DH's job went to 12 hour shifts a couple years ago, which cut out alot of overtime. It cut our income a good 20,000 a year. I do not work really, so that was a HUGE chunk. Plus, with gas increasing SO much, and my grocery bill getting more expensive because of food prices, it gets a bit stressful.

I hope that you find something that you really enjoy. It is important to find something you like to do, or it makes life unenjoyable. Keep sending those resumes out, and crossing my fingers that something PERFECT comes your way!

If you're starting to think of going back to school, see if the one(s) that you're interested have some sort of an Educational Initiatives department or Return to Learn program. The university that I work for has this and has scholarships available for students returning to school who have been out for a year or more. Plus our women's educational center offers scholarships for women returning to school as well - so don't rule it out on finances, there's some money out there specifically for students like you.

Plus, in my job, I go in to a ton of high schools and there are a lot of moms who work in the offices, as aides or as career coordinators.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out with the going back to school part of things - I work in college admissions so I work with a lot of students like you who want to come back and finish things up : )

:hugs:
Best wishes. And you know we here at SR are here anytime.

thanks Heather : )

Oh Abby I have been there. My first degree was pretty worthless to me when I graduated because I hadn't bothered to work in my field at all during college (dumb move by me) and my college didn't teach the right computer programs/software/coding/etc. So I had to go back to school as well to get a completely new degree and to try and find a job as well.

I know jobs are tight up there but have you considered calling a recruiter in your area to help find job leads? Recruiters are free as the companies that hire their references pay their commission. It might also be an avenue for you to look into career wise as recruiting is all about marketing the interviewee. The biggest one here in Houston is Robert Half recruiters so start there and see if they can help.

I haven't really looked at getting a headhunter yet - I wasn't aware that there were ones who wouldn't charge you ... I had always been under the impression that you had to pay a pretty substantial fee - I'll definitely poke around and see if there's something out there that might be able to help me.

Abby....don't get discouraged. Your job is out there....waiting for you. You'll find it....I know you will.

:hugs: and good thoughts coming you way.

Just remember when God give you lemons..........make lemonade!

Good luck to both of you. You can do it.!!! :hugs:

Wendi63
02-07-2008, 10:30 AM
I hope you find something soon. Unfortunately, my husband has been looking for 6 months with no success. I guess the market has really tightened because he is in I.T. and having problems. Five years ago when he changed jobs he had multiple offers. Definitely try recruiters or headhunters. They can really help to open some doors to jobs that arent advertised. Good luck!!

wdwabby
02-12-2008, 09:34 PM
hey everyone - little update .... I got contacted for an interview!!!! It's out of state, but this is a job that I would just about sell my soul for - so think good thoughts and pray for me ... this would be a great opportunity. I interview by phone either Tuesday or Wednesday of next week!:cooldance:

Hedy
02-12-2008, 09:43 PM
YAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!
:sunshine2: :sunshine2: :sunshine2:

Isn't it nice to be reminded you're not just vomiting resumes into the great void?

LuvMyBoys
02-13-2008, 10:07 AM
hey everyone - little update .... I got contacted for an interview!!!! It's out of state, but this is a job that I would just about sell my soul for - so think good thoughts and pray for me ... this would be a great opportunity. I interview by phone either Tuesday or Wednesday of next week!:cooldance:

WOOO HOOO!! :cooldance: That is great! Good luck Abby! :party:

m 'n c
02-13-2008, 12:42 PM
That's great Abby! How far away will it be from where you are now?

sassyjk
02-13-2008, 03:43 PM
HOW GREAT!!! Be sure to let us know, I'll hav my fingers crossed.:banana:

Blessing and Miracle
02-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Hey guys - I know I haven't been around a whole lot lately, and many of you probably don't even remember or know who I am. Hi, I'm Abby!

I just really need some good thoughts and prayers. I've been looking for a new job and so far the search has been fruitless. My current position was the first job I was offered out of grad school, but has absolutely nothing to do with my career field and has no opportunities for growth or advancement. The work environment is viral, at best and I can honestly say has changed me as a person - and not in a good way.

I am sending off a few resumes for positions andreally hope to be considered for because they're actually in my career field, even though I'll probably be tossed out because I have a masters degree (biggest mistake I've ever made for a number of reasons) Just think good thoughts. I'm so discouraged and I really would give anything just to get an interview, much less have any hope of getting one of these jobs. I'm not doing too well financially either and couldn't sleep last night because I have myself so stressed out. I've promised my dad a trip to Disney in December (a no-frills trip) as a reward if he is able to lose weight and I WILL figure out a way to pay for that no matter what because his health and having him not die is more important to me than any amount of money and thankfully the deposit is in the mail from the special cashout, but that's weighing on me too.

The weather is awful here - currently freezing rain on top of snow and I have to work late in the office tonight so by the time I get out it'll be late and it will have frozen over, so that's got me worried as well. I just feel like such a useless wreck these days, which is part of why I haven't been around either. I'm not happy and I just don't feel like doing anything when I finally get home from work each day. Just cross your fingers and pray that maybe something will come of these next few openings I'm applying for ... and that some of these things start turning around ...

if you've gotten this far, thanks for listening. I'll crawl back into my cave now ...

Abby,

We do know who you are! You've been around enough. First, let me say: come out of that cave! So you're having a rough time now, but you don't go into a cave! Pick yourself up and remind yourself that you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you! Allow yourself to be sad for a while, but not too long because it will definitely take control of your life, and you will continue to have a dark cloud over you keeping you blue!

Secondly, when man closes one door, God always opens another one! Keep your faith in Him and know that He can make a way out of no way. You want know what He has in store for you until you come out of that cave. LOL. Keep trying and if you don't get that one, just know that God has something better for you out there!

We will be praying for you and you can always come here for a little sunshine! Keep us updated!:love:

chipndale
02-14-2008, 12:00 AM

Oh that is fantastic news. :cooldance:

Wendi63
02-14-2008, 05:38 AM
Wonderful news!!!!:cooldance: Good luck with the interview process.