PDA

View Full Version : What I used my SR for

mmm611
02-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Back around the end of October or so, I cashed out for $120 via Paypal. I used half of that to pay for the backing fabric and batting for the biggest quilt I have ever made and the other half to pay a co-worker to machine quilt it for me. My original goal was to start working on it after I found a full time job, but the search was not going well and I wanted my new quilt on my bed, so I decided to cancel that plan.

I'd been collecting a bunch of duck, yellow, and blue fabrics for the last few years to make some kind of a quilt. My dog inspired it because her favorite toy was a stuffed quacking duck we'd named Quackers. After she died in October 2006, the duck quilt needed a new owner and since I hadn't actually started it yet, I decided it would be for myself.

I entered my ducks in the local area quilt show this year. It was started this past October and finished up in December...just a few weeks after I was hired for my first full time job.

Anyways, this was taken while I was at the quilt show today with my grandmother. It's called "Quackers for Jersey" and was named in honor of the dog who inspired it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/martha611/Quilts/IMG_0026-1.jpg

I LOVE that SR was able to help me finance the completion of this project. Thanks Sunshine Family!

askomsky
02-09-2008, 08:33 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!! That is just AWESOME!!! What a beautiful quilt!
Great job!
April

m 'n c
02-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Oh wow that is a beautiful quilt. Did you pin up the pieces and decide how to lay them out?

spring
02-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous! I love the colors and the pattern.:sunshine:

Hedy
02-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Wow, that is a lovely quilt.

SunshineGirl
02-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Your post made my day. :love:

sunshinecindy
02-09-2008, 09:00 PM
How wonderful....your doggie is looking down smiling.

disney_girl
02-09-2008, 09:12 PM
That's so awesome!! Thank you for sharing that with us!

mmm611
02-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Did you pin up the pieces and decide how to lay them out?

I loved this pattern because she said it doesn't matter which side you put your piece on, as long as it measures a certain size when it's finished. I stuck with that for the most part, but tried to keep the fabrics in each block different. I think there ended up being one with two of the same one present. I laid everything out on the family room floor when I was ready to put it together to decide how to lay it out.

Wow, I'm surprised to get such a positive reception on here with this while I was sharing on a few other sites. Thank you!!!!! You've all made my night!

Blessing and Miracle
02-09-2008, 10:18 PM
What a beautiful quilt! I've always wanted to make an heirloom for my family, but I don't know how to sew. This is one craft that I really wish I knew how to do! Simply beautiful!

LauraLea
02-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Just beautiful! I love to quilt too, but cannot find the time now.
They are so much more special when something from your heart inspires you!

laura

m 'n c
02-09-2008, 11:05 PM
I wish I had the patience to sew. That is the one thing my grandmother did so well. For a school project once we sat together and did make a quilt square and I still have it to this day on the little quilt holder.

I have been trying for the past 2 years to find someone to make a tshirt quilt for me. I don't think my tshirts will compare to what you did though.

bellanlivismom
02-09-2008, 11:46 PM
That is beautiful!!

cglaura
02-10-2008, 05:47 PM
How beautiful! And a great story to boot. Congrats on the new job!

Mom2aPrincess
02-11-2008, 11:25 PM
I wish I had the patience to sew. That is the one thing my grandmother did so well. For a school project once we sat together and did make a quilt square and I still have it to this day on the little quilt holder.

I have been trying for the past 2 years to find someone to make a tshirt quilt for me. I don't think my tshirts will compare to what you did though.

I want the same thing. I just left my high school (I graduated there and then taught there for 5 years) and I want a quilt with my tshirts from that school, and I also wanted one for my daughter with her shirts too. My grandmother suggested going by and talking to the activity directors at the local nursing homes, but I just don't know if I could trust handing my tshirts over in that situation and trusting to get them back...

**I also am saving all of my dd7's athletic shirts (She's playing softball and basketball), and when she graduates (or quits playing sports) combining all of them for a quilt...

Anna
02-15-2008, 06:42 AM
That quilt is beautiful!!!! I love the colors!