PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Mt Everest in AK

JOLAROCHE
02-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Here goes. I can ride Splash mountain and Thunder Mountain. I have ridden Space Mountain and will never do it again. Do you think I might be able to ride Everest. I am a little concerned with it going backwards. I have a problem with my ear and I cannot ride the Tea cups, Dumbo or even the Carosel because it goes in circles. Thunder mountains circles are just wide enought that they do not affect me. An input would be appreciated. :minnie: :mickey:

bartleby1
02-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Well, I'm sure you will have mixed responses on this, but I didn't handle Expedition Everest well at all! I'm fine on splash, big thunder, space mountain, etc, but I came off Expedition Everest soooooo disoriented! I would have sworn up and down that we went upside down on that ride. Now, I also have a messed up ear so that may be the problem. But, you couldn't pay me to get on that ride again. Also, my DD who was 6 at the time, came off complaining of a headache (her first headache ever!) and it didn't go away for 3 hours. Scared the heck out of me.

Now, I have also read reports where people find it fairly tame. So, I don't know what the difference was for us, but I'm not willing to go on to try again, lol!

JOLAROCHE
02-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Debbie

I think it has something to do with going backwards fast

cglaura
02-16-2008, 08:41 PM
The most problem I had was my legs banging together. I had bruises on the inside and outside of my knees from where they hit the left side of the train, then banged together, then hit the right side.

That only happened on the first time, I was prepared the other times and was able to keep firmly planted.

From my comparison, if you didn't like Space Mountain, or didn't do well, you won't do well with this either I think.

Have you ever been on Rockin Rollercoaster at the Studios?

linanglab
02-17-2008, 07:51 AM
I dont' think EE has tight turns - that I remember. I did not think it was much different than Thunder Mountain except for the backwards part, which I didnt' find bad, or long. What I don't like was the darkness. I have a dark phobia. I do not like Dinosaur for that reason.

But then again, I don't find much difference between Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain besides besides it being dark - which actually does not bother me in that ride. So....if you do not like Space, but like Thunder.....I am not sure.

I don't like the Teacups, but can ride Dumbo and the carousel, but don't like....um....can't remember the name....the circle space ship ride in Tomorrowland (like Dumbo, only faster).

Good luck! Let us know when/if you ride it. That motion sickness thing is a strange thing. I can be fine, then all of the sudden get sick in the car going around mountains.....other times I am fine.

3dog2kidmom
02-17-2008, 11:36 AM
I do not like spinny rides... totally dislike tea cups; but Dumbo & Magic Carpets of Aladdin are fine, and Astro-Orbitor is borderline fine.

What I don't like about some coasters (not at DW) are the really long drops. I loved Expedition Everest, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, and Rock 'n Rollercoaster.

PSL1013
02-17-2008, 12:53 PM
I went on it once and never again....it was the going backwards part that did me in! I didn't actually get physically sick but I felt so awful afterwards that all I could do was sit someplace quietly for about an hour. Now, I got the same reaction on Mission Space but multiplied x 100 and will never, ever ride this again either. This ride did me in for over 6 hrs and I had to go back to the resort to recover! :( Although the sissy side is fun! I will do all other rides with no problems. HTH

aknight373
02-17-2008, 12:57 PM
it didnt really bother me to bad, and I have very bad ear problems( i am 28 and they are already talking about a hearing aid in my right ear :( ) but i can't handle any upside down rides good at all!!!

catnapfan
02-17-2008, 10:46 PM
I have a problem with steep drops- like on Splash or Everest and even the smaller ones on Big Thunder. I usually close my eyes on these rides (at least at the bad parts of the ride) and do fine. I barely even noticed the backward part of Everest the 1st time I rode it. The downside of doing this is I look like an idiot in all the ride pictures with my eyes closed- so now I make sure to wear my sunglasses on these rides and no one knows my little secret.

Weluvdisny
02-18-2008, 12:21 AM
When it goes backwards, I think you are going up. So you can get ready for the big drop.

If you want to look at the ride spoiler, I think if you check youtube someone has videotaped the ride and you can watch it to sort of get a feel for it. I know it's not as realistic as the ride, but it might help you decide.

bbangel
02-18-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm not a big rollercoaster fan, although I have no problem with Splash, Big Thunder or other similar rides. Both my mom and I felt funny after riding Everest. Not sick to our stomachs but almost dizzy. We found it odd since the ride itself didn't seem that extreme. I've since heard others say the same thing.

kerry34
02-19-2008, 09:40 AM
If you cant ride Space Mountain then I would wonder about EE. Overall I have heard it isnt too bad, except for the going backwards part. My friend rode it once and said she couldnt do it again because going backwards really made her very disoriented and dizzy afterward. I myself will not ride it because I know that I will feel lousy afterward because I dont do well with spinning or anything that throws your equalibrium off. I rode MS before they had the tame version and I felt so lousy the rest of the day, I had to keep sitting down. If you decide to try it you will have to let us all know how you managed it.

LCS3
02-20-2008, 10:18 AM
A little trick for anyone that has a hard time with spinning rides/ motion sickness. First thing in the AM take "Bonnie". It is a wonderful motion sickness med that does not make you drowsy.

I usually get very sick from rollercoasters, and anything that goes in a circle. However, the rest of my family LOVES all these rides so I had to find a "cure". I really didn't like spending so much of my day on a bench! We do a lot of amusement parks. Disney is so wonderful because they have loads of rides that I can do in comparison to other parks. When we go to Disney, I just take a single dose of Bonnie in the AM and I'm good to go. Although I've never pushed my luck with Mission Space!

As far as EE goes, I think the sudden shot backwards and around, then short stop and speeding forward will make anyone with motion sickness or inner ear problems ill. The body doesn't get time to catch up with the sudden changes in direction! With "Bonnie" I usually do fine with the motion sickness on this ride, but I have still gotten headaches. So I avoid EE now. My DD doesn't like it either so we get an icecream break while everyone else goes! BTW: There are icecream stands right next to EE.

PSL1013
02-20-2008, 10:52 AM
A little trick for anyone that has a hard time with spinning rides/ motion sickness. First thing in the AM take "Bonnie". It is a wonderful motion sickness med that does not make you drowsy.

I usually get very sick from rollercoasters, and anything that goes in a circle. However, the rest of my family LOVES all these rides so I had to find a "cure". I really didn't like spending so much of my day on a bench! We do a lot of amusement parks. Disney is so wonderful because they have loads of rides that I can do in comparison to other parks. When we go to Disney, I just take a single dose of Bonnie in the AM and I'm good to go. Although I've never pushed my luck with Mission Space!

As far as EE goes, I think the sudden shot backwards and around, then short stop and speeding forward will make anyone with motion sickness or inner ear problems ill. The body doesn't get time to catch up with the sudden changes in direction! With "Bonnie" I usually do fine with the motion sickness on this ride, but I have still gotten headaches. So I avoid EE now. My DD doesn't like it either so we get an icecream break while everyone else goes! BTW: There are icecream stands right next to EE.

Just so everyone is warned....I took two Bonine before riding the intense side of Mission Space, I really wanted to experience this ride when it first opened.....trust me, taking this medication DID NOT WORK! :rotfl: Now, the less intense side is ok for me and we usually will ride this side when ever we go to Epcot. The only other ride I had a problem with was EE but never thought to take anything beforehand, so maybe it would of helped but I'll never know now because I will not ever go on it again! :)