PDA

View Full Version : Can Hedy fly SWA?

Hedy
02-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Does anyone have experience flying solo on SouthWest. I haven't flown SW since 2002, but they look like they'll be the best choice for my trip in August. Has anyone flown solo on them? How did it work out (I'm presuming I'm getting an A ticket)?

spring
02-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Does anyone have experience flying solo on SouthWest. I haven't flown SW since 2002, but they look like they'll be the best choice for my trip in August. Has anyone flown solo on them? How did it work out (I'm presuming I'm getting an A ticket)?

I think you'll LOVE SWA. The trick to getting an "A" ticket is to check-in online 24 hours ahead of your flight time. If you are booked for a 7AM flight on Saturday, check-in on Friday at 7AM. The closer you check-in to 24 hours, the higher your pass will be. I haven't flown them in a couple of years, but rumor has it that now, they not only give you a letter, but also a number according to the order of check-in. So if you score an "A" ticket and are the 1st to check in, you'll get an "A 1." I'm sure others have had more recent experience. They do pre-board families with small children and handicapped prior to starting the "A's", as do most airlines. Once you get onboard, you get to chose any seat that is open.:sunshine: Oh, yes, I have flown solo on them - not a problem!

3dog2kidmom
02-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Heather are you worried about having no one to switch off with while standing in line to board? They have changed the boarding procedure. You still go online and get your boarding card 24 hours in advance, but now you get a boarding letter and a line number which holds your place!

We flew home from MCO on SWA last month and it worked out great.

ETA: Looks like Pat beat me to the same answer!

askomsky
02-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Yes check in the minute it's 24 hrs before your departure time. We flew back in Nov with 3 kids 8, 5 and 4 so we were going to load between A and B even if we didn't get an A ticket. I tried at 1032am the day before and it wouldn't let me I was at work and got sidetracked and tried at 1045 (1035 dep time) and was A20-A25. They have signs to line up next to A1-10 etc. they have B starting to line up on the opposite side. If you have kids under 4 you'll board inbetween A & B.

We were in MGM the day before our 250pm flight home so I had called my stepmom and gave her the info and asked her to do it as close to the time as possible. She said she did it at 3pm and we got B boarding (but it didn't matter since we had a 4 yr old). I was a little shocked since it was Thanksgiving day we were flying home but it turns out a College girls basketball team was flying for a game into Phila. 90% of them boarded on A so that's probably why.

Flying solo I think SWA is probably the ONLY way to go, if it's the cheapest rate you should have absolutely no problems.
Going to MCO it was 20 mins late to depart but we arrived in Orlando on time. Coming home we were 45 mins early due to a good tail wind.

April

Hedy
02-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Yes check in the minute it's 24 hrs before your departure time. We flew back in Nov with 3 kids 8, 5 and 4 so we were going to load between A and B even if we didn't get an A ticket. I tried at 1032am the day before and it wouldn't let me I was at work and got sidetracked and tried at 1045 (1035 dep time) and was A20-A25. They have signs to line up next to A1-10 etc. they have B starting to line up on the opposite side. If you have kids under 4 you'll board inbetween A & B.

We were in MGM the day before our 250pm flight home so I had called my stepmom and gave her the info and asked her to do it as close to the time as possible. She said she did it at 3pm and we got B boarding (but it didn't matter since we had a 4 yr old). I was a little shocked since it was Thanksgiving day we were flying home but it turns out a College girls basketball team was flying for a game into Phila. 90% of them boarded on A so that's probably why.

Flying solo I think SWA is probably the ONLY way to go, if it's the cheapest rate you should have absolutely no problems.
Going to MCO it was 20 mins late to depart but we arrived in Orlando on time. Coming home we were 45 mins early due to a good tail wind.

April

Glad to hear the good reviews. I know worrying about getting a seat is illogical, but I'm kind of a control freak. But it does appear to be the best option.

3dog2kidmom
02-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Glad to hear the good reviews. I know worrying about getting a seat is illogical, but I'm kind of a control freak. But it does appear to be the best option.

Another control freak here... I hear ya! We lucked out flying home and there were only 25 people on our flight. Everyone had their own row!

Mom2aPrincess
02-23-2008, 11:11 PM
We flew to Disney via SW in December and it was great. I have no complaints (except the rude guy in front of me who felt the need to keep his seat reclined a little too far most of the trip). :rotfl:

Like others said, you check in 24 hours early online. I was about 30 minutes late and we had A20 seats. They do not load the small children before A (after A and before B) as someone else mentioned so if you have A seating you really almost have your pick of seats. There was a lot of confusion when we loaded (as I think we had seasoned SW travelers and this was a new system), but they were great about explaining and controlling and we still departed on time!

We are going back in August and I'll be rebooking us with SW (another thing I love is Ding and Credits - I have enough to pay one of our tickets in credits because the priced dropped last time). I just wish they were part of the Resort Check In companies when you leave!

Hedy
05-13-2008, 03:17 PM
SWA may convert me after all...my flight dropped $3, and a got my credit likethat-no calling, I could do it right online. :)

SunshineGirl
05-13-2008, 03:19 PM
That is awesome news!! I'm watching them for a return flight in October still.

m4travels
05-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Another lover of SWA. They are our airline of choice from LAX/BUR/ONT to either Las Vegas or Oakland for our wine country trips. We are usually fortunate enough to get A tickets and we do our best to get the exit row seats. That little bit of extra leg room really does make it nice.

We'll be taking them to MCO for the SR cruise and that will be our first long-range flight with them. We're actually looking forward to it!

chipndale
05-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Another SW lover here. I think SW is the only airline that I would pick if I was flying solo. We have flown so much with them that our last trip was free and it was no hassle to redeem the ticket voucher for a ticket (unlike another airline that we had a free ticket with and could never get a seat on any flight). Good Luck!

Hedy
05-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Q re ticketless travel funds. My flight went down again. It says you can only use two confirmation numbers for ticketless travel funds-is each time I get a credit a confirm, or each flight. I'm trying to figure out whether to get my $1 credit or not. :rotfl::rotfl:

Hedy
07-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Just checked in for my flight-A19!

chipndale
07-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Just checked in for my flight-A19!

Cool - Hope you have a great experience!