PDA

View Full Version : How have you told the kids you're going?

Hedy
02-28-2008, 04:30 PM
So, I'm officially going to WDW in August (I'm popping in as a celebrity guest ;) on my brothers', nephews', and DSILs' trip in August). The boys know thye're going, but not I'm going (they always go with their parents and my brother and his wife). I'm planning on telling them on Sunday. How have you told your kids? I kind of blew a perfect prop last weekend-I had ordered a DVD in hopes of getting a code, and it was sitting on the DVD player. They were talking about the trip, and ElderNephew12 was being such a chip off the old block, I mean an interested planner, I passed it off to him. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Ideas?

pbhall13
02-28-2008, 09:06 PM
last May I planned a surprise trip for my girls and I went to the local Paper Store (hallmark store) and bought one of those talking/music bags that was of Mickey Mouse and when you open it it says "Hey Pal we're going to have so much fun....special day....can't remember the rest and then I put inside it a picture of the disney gang and it said Surprise We are Going to Disney...Now!!! I will try to upload a copy of it in a bit!

Pamela

pbhall13
02-28-2008, 09:10 PM
sorry about the double post!!

Hedy
02-28-2008, 09:27 PM
last May I planned a surprise trip for my girls and I went to the local Paper Store (hallmark store) and bought one of those talking/music bags that was of Mickey Mouse and when you open it it says "Hey Pal we're going to have so much fun....special day....can't remember the rest and then I put inside it a picture of the disney gang and it said Surprise We are Going to Disney...Now!!! I will try to upload a copy of it in a bit!

Pamela

Cool! :sunshine2: :sunshine2:

Magical JenK
02-28-2008, 10:11 PM

Pamela

I have that bag too! I love it! I was going to use it to tell DH about the surprise trip last year, but instead I had a letter from "Cindy" telling him she's very excited about having lunch w/him at the castle in September....he didn't get it! But I gave him a few other clues in a box too! It was fun!

Hedy
03-02-2008, 11:36 PM
We went to a minor league hockey game today, and I told them when my mother and I got there. I mentioned the WDW planning DVD I gave to YoungerNephew caught onto it right away, and his whole face lit up, but ElderNephew was more reserved. I also told them about our night at DHS/MGM. As we were walking to our seats, YoungerNephew asked what we were going to do-I told him about 50's-he'd never heard of it (at least that's what his face told me), but I figured we have 6 months to talk about it, and he has his Biernbaum's guide. . He wasted no time in informing me his favorite ride is the "movie boat ride"...I think that's the backstage tour. He has a list of rides he's going on for the first time this year (he and ElderNephew have concocted it: Mission Space (Orange), RocknRoller Coaster, ToT, and Space Mountain). So I didn't mention any thing about going on those rides. I thought the boys seemed pre-occupied with the game, but at one point ElderNephew wanted to know why his Mom didn't tell them I was coming.

mjjmbnmm
03-03-2008, 12:10 AM
4 years ago, we told our girls we were going to visit a friend in Florida, packed, got on the plane, had a towncar pick us up and handed them park tickets has the welcome to Disney World sign came into site, the looks on their faces will forever be one of my greatest memories.:)

bellanlivismom
03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
My kids know that we are going, but have no idea when...of course they are pretty young to understand time frames, but we are not marking it or anything on a calendar. We are staying over night a few days before for my brother's college graduation so I am hoping that I can pass off the packed suitcases as that and then tell them that I did not unpack them for the next few days while I am filling them with Disney garb. :) Then when dad gets home from work on that Thursday night we are going to load up the car and head to city that we are leaving from because we have a 7 am flight and the airport is about an hour from our house. They will be so excited! Hopefully, I will be able to keep my mouth shut!!

cglaura
03-05-2008, 03:52 PM
We had been planning a trip for last year, but then due to some financial / child support snags, it was put up on the shelf for awhile. Then my mom offered to pay for just about all of it! So I didn't tell dd it was back on and I made up a little homemade photo album w/ construction paper and photos of past trips. I gave it to her and told her that she was really being so great about the cancellation, here is something to help look forward to when we get to go again.

On the very last page I had a picture of POP and wrote, "Surprise! We are going in December!"

She was over the moon. It really gave her something to look forward to in a not so stellar year for us.

This trip I'm going back to my original plan, where I have a chart of our budget and I put a smiley on each square when complete. Then I will surprise her with the completed chart (which with all my home renovations coming up should be about the time she graduates college :rotfl: )

Hedy
03-05-2008, 04:40 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl:
We had been planning a trip for last year, but then due to some financial / child support snags, it was put up on the shelf for awhile. Then my mom offered to pay for just about all of it! So I didn't tell dd it was back on and I made up a little homemade photo album w/ construction paper and photos of past trips. I gave it to her and told her that she was really being so great about the cancellation, here is something to help look forward to when we get to go again.

On the very last page I had a picture of POP and wrote, "Surprise! We are going in December!"

She was over the moon. It really gave her something to look forward to in a not so stellar year for us.

This trip I'm going back to my original plan, where I have a chart of our budget and I put a smiley on each square when complete. Then I will surprise her with the completed chart (which with all my home renovations coming up should be about the time she graduates college :rotfl: )

deana
03-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Hmmmm.... now you have me thinking.... :sunshine2:
We are going to try to surprise our children with a trip in December. We will have to pick them up at school to leave for the airport. I am trying to think of how to spring the surprise. MAYBE I will use your idea about a mini scrapbook.... just casually pass it to them in the car, telling them I was just working on a mini Disney scrapbook of our favorite things...ask them what they think....and then have a "PS we are going NOW" on the last page. My other thoughts were to give them early Christmas gifts - once opened they will find tshirts with "our surprise trip to Disney"......or passing them a big bag of their stuffed animals in the car and asking which ones they want to pack (pack for what, mom?? for disney, of course!!)......OR we could go with the simple "hey...lets go to disney!"
So what do you think!?!?!?!?! :)

GICHY
03-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Well last year we told DS that we were going for a trip for Dads job. SO when we were at dinner his birthday presents were the shirts I had made for him saying my parents love me for my birthday they gave me the world. Also 3 other brtihday shirts.

He really had no clue and sadly was overwhelmed and it really kinda messed him up. He is ADD and busted into a huge nose bleed from the rise in his blood pressure.

Dr said not to do that again.......so this year he has been a part of the planning and making ressies etc.

Here I thought it was a great surprise and instead I put my poor baby on the fritz. This year we also are doing alternating days in parks. One day resort and laid back and the next day a park.

More lessons for me to learn.

MKCP84
03-21-2008, 09:44 PM
In 2005 we surprised our daughters with a trip to WDW. We told them we were picking them up at noon from school to go to the dentist. My in-laws came with and when we picked up the girls they were wondering why Grandpa and Grandma were going to the dentist with us. I had the movie camera on the whole ride to the airport capturing all of their questions on what was going on. Their teachers were in on the plan and my older daughter was wondering why her teacher had a grin on his face when he said "Have fun at the dentist". Living in Iowa and going in March made packing difficult since I didn't have a clue if their shorts, swim suits, etc. even fit but everything worked out fine. Every time we watch that movie it brings back precious memories!

luvdisney00
03-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Just saw this thread and I'm lovin it. I haven't told the kids yet about our Sept trip and DH and I keep debating on how to do it. Great ideas here.
I was thinking of sending them each a letter from Mickey with an invitation to come to MNSSHP. It's fun to think of all different ideas, and Plan, plan, plan!!!

hmdelf
07-16-2008, 11:41 AM
I tell my boys, but they are still young. The oldest problably won't be told next time. He is getting less patient as he becomes more aware of actual time!

fourfoxesinpa
07-17-2008, 10:04 AM
We traditionally leave for WDW/DCL the day after Thanksgiving. A few years ago, on Thanksgiving morning, we were watching the parades and jumping back and forth between Macy's in NY and Boscov's parade in Philly. A Philly newscaster usually broadcasts from the MK and we were watching her, ooohing and aaahing at how much fun it looks like everyone was having, how nice the weather was, mentioning how lucky they are to be at MK, etc. And then we just got out the plane tickets and BAM threw them on the coffee table and told them we were going the next morning. We were going to surprise them again this year but decided if they get too many big surprises like that, they could come to expect them in a way... But it sure was fun.

linanglab
07-17-2008, 02:53 PM
We usually go during the week of July 4th. We are hoping to go in August next year. We surprised them a couple years ago, so maybe next year will be a good time to surprise them again. Saying that Dad has to work July 4th, and we can't go this year. Then when August comes along, have something fun planned and then off we go! Hmmm....I will have to get my thinking cap on!