PDA

View Full Version : DVC - yet another rental question....

linanglab
03-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Okay....Our vacation isn't until next summer, but I am doing my homework to decide if we should consider renting. Plus, the preplanning is good for my soul! LOL

We are a family of 5. Is it possible to rent a 1 bedroom? The size of the room is not too much of an issue as we are used to tighter quarters. We have stayed at POR for 2 years now, and we want something different. We thought about 2 rooms at a value (which is still a possibility), but am looking into renting.

I have looked on the DIS and am OVERWHELMED with all the info and "arguing". So, I came to my friends on SR to ask my questions and maybe you could help me or direct me.

I am a frugal person. POR is cheapest, but we want something different. Deluxe is too expensive for us right now. Does anyone have a breakdown of how much for renting compared to the regular hotels? I know AKL sleeps 5, but we would consider other 1 bedroom if they accept 5 (unless I can decide which child to leave home....hmmm....LOL). AKL sounds VERY fun to me. But I also am wondering about the money.

Please HELP!!! I know I babble. But I told DH that I would start looking into this. We would go in summer, which I understand may be an issue with renting. The dates in summer are not set. Usually we go over July 4th week, but DH's vacation time may change, in which we may go in the beginning of August.

missymouse
03-19-2008, 10:53 AM
I believe for your family the only real choice (legal according to the POS documents) is to do a 1 bedroom at AKV, the two bedrooms obviously you could stay anywhere. Here is how it would break down this year.

Check In June 29-Check out July 4
POR- Riverside Standard View one room $1120 (room only) ($179 per night)
AKV Savannah View you would need to rent 150 points (30 pts/night)so the break even would be $7.46 per point. It is unlikely you would be able to get points for that amount but if you upped it to $10 that is possible so it would be $1500 but you would get a kitchen, a king size bed in bedroom, jacuzzi, washer and dryer, and a room with a savannah view.

If you want to stay Sun-Sun it would be
POR- Riverside Standard View $1601 (room only) ($179 S-TH nights, $214 F-Sat.)
AKV Savannah View you would need to rent 268 points (30 pts./ night S-Th and 59 pts/night F-Sat.) so at $10 a point it would be $2680 just for the room. Weekends are more expensive for DVC

Now if you wait until after August 16tn and go from Aug. 17-22 or Aug. 17-24 the numbers would be
POR Riverside One room Standard View would be $149 per night) so 5 nights would be $745 and 7 nights would be $1300
AKV Savannah view you would need 130 points ($10/pt would be $1300) or to stay through the weekend it would be an additional 104 points for at total of 234 points ($10 pt. would be $2340).
however if rates for POR go up again for next year all this would change since the number of points needed never changes so the cost at DVC would only change if the going rent goes up. So it might be a break even situation. If you are happy in one room then you should stay at POR if you want more space or would do two rooms at POR or another Moderate you would do better with renting the points.

I also have a family of 5 we did two rooms at CBR because there was no way I was going to be smushed into one hotel room with my three kids with 2 double beds and 1 bathroom. So for me DVC makes sense. We went to Hilton Head last summer and had a 2 bedroom and it was close to ideal. DD16 wasn't thrilled with it because she still had to share a room with her brothers, it was better once DS13 moved into the Living room on the pullout sofa to sleep.

So basically as long as you are happy in one room it wouldn't pay to rent points. You can stay 2 additional nights for the same amount of money. So it is really about comfort level and if you want space or not.

linanglab
03-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Do people usually rent for just the 5 days versus the whole week? That would be an option for us. We could do a split stay - Sun through Thurday, then do the rest at either POR or 2 rooms at value. We may not mind paying a bit higher for the 5 days - especially becuase of the kitchen and ESPECIALLY for the laundry facilities.

I was really confused on the DIS because some said that they will allow 5 in ANY 1 bedroom, but they only give bedding for 4. But I do like the idea of AK.

Thanks for your response. This is SOOOO new to me, and it is overwhelming looking at all the options and legalities, etc.

wilsonfamily4
03-19-2008, 11:09 AM
I think you can only have 5 in rooms if they are under 3 and can stay in a crib. I think AKL is the only one you could do. I hate that the DISboards search engine never works so I cannot look up some things I want to for you. :( I will keep looking.

I know we love DVC. Last year my son threw up all over his blanket that he HAS to sleep with. Having a washing machine in our roms was so nice for this. It can also save you money if you eat some meals in.

My husband is the kind that when he takes his vacation he wants to feel relaxed, so this is it for him. I am so thankful because I was talking about staying cheaper this time and he was the one saying NO WAY. :)

missymouse
03-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Do people usually rent for just the 5 days versus the whole week? That would be an option for us. We could do a split stay - Sun through Thurday, then do the rest at either POR or 2 rooms at value. We may not mind paying a bit higher for the 5 days - especially becuase of the kitchen and ESPECIALLY for the laundry facilities.

I was really confused on the DIS because some said that they will allow 5 in ANY 1 bedroom, but they only give bedding for 4. But I do like the idea of AK.

Thanks for your response. This is SOOOO new to me, and it is overwhelming looking at all the options and legalities, etc.

According to DVC the only place that allows 5 in a one bedroom is AKV however they do allow 5 at most DVC one bedrooms but that is always subject to change. So the answer is yes right now you can usually put 5 in any one bedroom but they will not bring cots or bedding for the 5th person. So you would have to bring your own sleeping bag, aerobed, etc. It is thought that as AKV nears completion and has more One bedrooms with the sleeper chair DVC may tighten up on that. It has also been speculated that as they remodel they may add the sleeper chairs to some of the other resorts but that is just speculation at this point. If you want point cost for other resorts I can get those for you. OKW is the least and the largest room size resort. BWV and BCV are the hardest to get because those are the smallest resort. SSR is pretty easy to get and a large resort.

And yes for renting most people rent M-Th and in fact DVC owners tend to do that also. Many owners do the split stay like you are talking about because it is so much more expensive point wise for the weekends.

missymouse
03-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Where people say you can save money by renting DVC points is really comparing it to the cost between booking the DVC properties through Disney and renting so same dates

June 29-July 4 this year
AKV Standard View through CRO would be $2785
Renting Points Standard View (assuming $10/pt.) $1250
Renting Points Savannah View(assuming $10/pt.) $1500

linanglab
03-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Maybe I will try to break it down a little bit with a split stay. I think to have 2 rooms at value, it will cost us around $2300 (10 nights). We could do 5 nights at DVC and 5 nights 2 rooms at value. DH isn't too keen on switching resorts, however, we would have to regardless because we stay more than a week.

I would like the breakdown of other DVC resorts. However, I really like the thought of AK. It is such a fun resort (we only visited).

And just like Dee said, the laundry facilities is wonderful to have. You never know when you have a sick child OR you could pack a little lighter because you can rewash clothes (or just wear your favorite jean shorts again).

You all are so helpful. Once I get some numbers (fairly rough estimates because of the rate of WHEN I would rent), I can start knowing how much to save for and let the planning begin.

Do you rent ONLY from owners? Or does Disney have something set up through their site?

wilsonfamily4
03-19-2008, 11:28 AM
You rent points from owners because if you go through Disney it is at a very high rate. It is like booking a deluxe, spendy. It is a gamble on renting points though because it is the owners points. you never talk with anyone but the owner and they could scam you. You could pay and they could change the reservation at any point and you have no power to do anything. But I have done it and am doing it again. :) I feel really comfortable with the lady I am renting from this time as she has over a 1000 post at the DISboards and gave me ALL her contact info. We talked on the phone and have emailed each other. It feels good. It is a trust game.

WE LOVE SSR. It is also on the cheaper side of points so that is nice. OKW would have the most room in their rooms and is the cheapest as well. It was the first DVC so a bit older. There is a lot of insight at DIS in the dvc section

linanglab
03-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Dee - that is what makes me nervous. The trust thing. I don't know if I would be comfortable UNTIL I make it to the resort and am allowed in the room! But the thought of staying "deluxe" at the price I would be paying....that seems wonderful. We are just ready for something other than POR, which means more $$.

I understand about doing my homework. Looking at all the renters and the posts, etc.

The other thing, is that AK is very new, right? Is that even an option to be able to stay there since it is so new? Would it even be available? I have a feeling alot of families of 5 will be jumping on this one. I guess I can start looking in August - if I am staying in July, right? Or September if I am staying in August?

missymouse
03-19-2008, 11:40 AM
If I put in 10 nights at the values for this summer it comes to just short of $1265 per room preferred room so 2 rooms would be roughly $2500 .

Next summer it would be safe to assume the cost would be at least $1300 per room or $2600.

Now

Old Key West 1 bedroom is 218 points per week so for $2180 per week or 436 for two weeks ($4380) you could stay at Old Key West. Like I said OKW has the largest rooms and the lowest point cost.

SSR 1 bedroom is 243 per week so 2 weeks would be 486 or $4860

AKV if you could get a standard view would be 225 per week
Savannah view is 268 per week

Beach Club is 270 per week

Boardwalk Villas is 222 week if you can get standard (hard to come by) or 270 per week for Boardwalk or Preferred view.

You can book any DVC through CRO but to rent points you have to go through a DVC member

wilsonfamily4
03-19-2008, 11:49 AM
WOW! I was looking at your numbers and realized how nice staying in off season is. We are getting a 2 bedroom at SSR in January for about the same as a 1 bedroom in summer! EEK!

LuvMyBoys
03-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Just popping in to say that we have rented points twice, once through the Dis and then earlier this month I rented through LauraLea on SR :sunshine:

Wonderful experiences both times, and very nice to go through a SR member that I knew I could trust.

We stayed at OKW the first time - it was fine, nice to have the extra room and amenities that the values do not offer.

This time we did the Saturday night arrival at Pop and then switched over to SSR for the next two nights. Cannot even say how much less crowded, nicer, and more beautiful SSR was!!! :love: We absolutely loved it! There was nothing better than making fresh coffee in the room and enjoying it out on our balcony overlooking the pond - made the trip so much more relaxing and enjoyable for us!!

I wish DVC offered better values for larger families but alas for us it is much cheaper to stay in two value rooms instead of getting a 2 bedroom or renting two studios. :(

Good luck with planning your trip Angela!! :)

linanglab
03-19-2008, 12:03 PM
WOW! I was looking at your numbers and realized how nice staying in off season is. We are getting a 2 bedroom at SSR in January for about the same as a 1 bedroom in summer! EEK!

Yeah....gets pretty pricey - and that is trying to be as cheap as possible! I really hope that we stick to our guns and NOT do POR again. We like the resort, but DH especially wants something different. Not a whole lot of options for families of 5 that is very affordable to a regular blue collar family!

I about choked when I saw Missymouse's numbers for 2 value room! ACK! Now that does not include our AAA discount. But on top of that, figure 5 10 day passes AND flights AND food....sometimes I wish I did not like WDW as much as I do! LOL It doesn't help that WDW looks at 10 year olds as adult too! I only have 1 more year for a child ticket. Then we will have 5 Disney adults!

Okay....where is that DVC YOAMD prize that I am supposed to win! It would be nice to have that right about now. These numbers are killing me! LOL

missymouse
03-19-2008, 12:06 PM
If I were doing it for 10 nights and really wanted to rent points and stay in larger digs I think I would arrive on I would arrive on Wed. and stay W-Sat. nights at a value getting 2 rooms so use July 4th time frame Value would be $ 1200 move to any DVC for Sun-Fri night

OKW would be 164 points or $1640 for a total of $2840
SSR would be 189 points or $1890 for a total of $3090
AKV if you could get standard 175 points or $1750 would be total of $ 2950
AKV Savannah (more likely)209 points or $2090 would be $3290
Wilderness Lodge would be 210 points or $2100 for a total of $3300
Or if you could shave off one night and do 9 nights it would decrease your cost to the following

Value/OKW $2300
Value/SSR $2550
Value/AKV standard $2590
Value/AKV Savannah $2700
Value/Wilderness $2700

Here is my thinking you could pack clothes for the first 4-5 days then you would have laundry facilities for the remainder of the trip,. :)

pbhall13
03-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Hi Angela.....

You know how I feel about DVC...and you know that I don't own, but I always rent.........and yes the girls and I do switch (although not for our upcoming trip which is a long weekend, points were 'given' to me by one of my tutoree's parent...and my sister and I are splitting cost for one of the nights)..........

the biggest thing is staying at DVC Sunday and check out on Friday, you could technically then switch for friday and saturday night to a value, and then again go to a DVC for the next 3 days (that could be on the beginning part or end of your stay.......) Disney makes it very easy to switch......they transport all of your luggage/stuff.....you just need to be in the room when they pick it up........we usually end up doing the switch on one of the days that we are heading out to a park early (have them pick up stuff first) and then take a break near lunch head over to our new resort to check in....(now don't forget that they don't deliver bags until after 3 pm) so you could actually spend most of the day at the park and then return to newest resort for check in and do dinner there...get use to the new place, get your room and then do whatever.........it really is pretty painless! and to have that extra room is just great.

go on the dis and use the points calculator........I know you are not sure when you can go in 2009, but remember that for the resort that you want owners of a particular resort can make a ressie I think at the 12 mo window, whereas someone who doesn't own at the one you want cannot book until 7 months prior......I have been working with the same women and she is great.....we even talk by phone, which makes it more personal......I am actually sending a card off to her today just to say Hello!

If you can do it, please try....your hubby many not be too excited about changing, but once her realizes how much more room you will have he will be THRILLED that you booked it this way.

Just some food for thought!

Pamela

linanglab
03-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Missymouse - You are WONDERFUL! Where is your award for helping a clueless possible DVC renter???? You DESERVE it! Those numbers do not sound that bad. Plus, I could shave a little bit off by using AAA for the value part of it. I will have to show these numbers to DH, who will be fine with this - as this is what we expected (even a little better than I expected).

I may end up buying tickets this year for next year, in fear that they will go up again. I probably won't save ALOT, but I will save some.

The thought at staying at a DVC resort is getting me VERY excited! I really never though much about it until I read Dee doing it. Thanks Dee!

Now I just have to start reading through all the rental things on the DIS - even though it is a bit confusing - but it might get more clearer with the more I read.

LUVmy boys - Yes...It would be nice to have more options for 5. But we chose to have 5, so I guess we are stuck! Can't put one of them back! LOL But maybe someday WDW will reconsider their options for larger families, but seeing that they sell their rooms pretty good, I doubt it will ever happen...:(

missymouse
03-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Or you could stay at POR W-Sat. nights for $930 in one room then move to a DVC resort

OKW would be 164 points or $1640 for a total of $2570
SSR would be 189 points or $1890 for a total of $2820
AKV if you could get standard 175 points or $1750 would be total of $ 2680
AKV Savannah (more likely)209 points or $2090 would be $3020
Wilderness Lodge would be 210 points or $2100 for a total of $3030

Or if you could shave off one night and do 9 nights it would decrease your cost to the following

POR/OKW $2030
POR/SSR $2280
POR/AKV standard $2320
POR/AKV Savannah $2430
POR/Wilderness $2430

Here is my thinking you could pack clothes for the first 4-5 days then you would have laundry facilities for the remainder of the trip,.

wilsonfamily4
03-19-2008, 12:26 PM
I think I would go with POR that fits 5 as well. Better then having 2 rooms. Unless your kids take a long time in a bathroom then 2 bathrooms may be nice.

I so hope you can make it work. I LOVE DVC. We were going to buy but we live in the west coast and so we would only go maybe every 2 years. We also made a list of places we want to vacation and though we do Love WDW we also want to see other places so decided we will just pay to rent every time we go. I know that will get spendy over time BUT it allows us to be more flexible. So no DVC for us. And truthfully I am really happy we decided not to buy.

Another nice thing about DVC is at this time you can DDP without buying tickets through Disney. We did that last time and it was nice. We probably won't this time but it is a nice bonus.

If you go back to my trip report you can see pictures of SSR. So lovely

Hedy
03-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Yeah....gets pretty pricey - and that is trying to be as cheap as possible! I really hope that we stick to our guns and NOT do POR again. We like the resort, but DH especially wants something different. Not a whole lot of options for families of 5 that is very affordable to a regular blue collar family!

I about choked when I saw Missymouse's numbers for 2 value room! ACK! Now that does not include our AAA discount. But on top of that, figure 5 10 day passes AND flights AND food....sometimes I wish I did not like WDW as much as I do! LOL It doesn't help that WDW looks at 10 year olds as adult too! I only have 1 more year for a child ticket. Then we will have 5 Disney adults!

Okay....where is that DVC YOAMD prize that I am supposed to win! It would be nice to have that right about now. These numbers are killing me! LOL
Angela-just a thought, but have you looked into one person (adult) getting an AP and looking at AP rates? That would also make you eligible for DDe, which is an extra $60, but gets you 20% off food.

linanglab
03-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Angela-just a thought, but have you looked into one person (adult) getting an AP and looking at AP rates? That would also make you eligible for DDe, which is an extra $60, but gets you 20% off food.

I have not looked into AP rates. Someone on DIS said you would have to stay at least 12 nights to actually save money. I have not broken that down either.

Question: Does DVC resorts have refillable mugs? If you do a split stay, I am assuming that you have to purchase the mugs at each resort. That would get pricey. Or does DVC resorts have special mugs that can be used at all resorts?

kimbih
03-19-2008, 12:55 PM
DVC resorts do have the refillable mugs for each individual resort but some of them are inconvenient to get to. (Like the Boardwalk for example)

MS will allow 5 in a 1 BR, but as noted, they will not provide bedding for that person. Also, not all the AKV 1 BR will hold 5 either.

Another friendlier place to look into renting DVC points and ask questions is www.mouseowners.com/forums. I've been a member of the DIS for many years but will not go to the DVC boards there since they are just not always nice LOL Mouseowners will tell you what you are looking for but are much nicer about it if you ask an unpopular question (ie. 5 in a 1 BR)

I also second looking into an AP for 1 family member. The AP discounts on rooms aren't as great as they used to be but the DDE card is awesome! If you eat at a lot of TS, that will pay for itself many times over.

We've been DVC members for several years now and love it.

wilsonfamily4
03-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Angela~
I haven't done this but it is what I have read. Refillable mugs have gone genereic so they are not just one resort themed. There is controversy on this. Some say it is the length of your stay some say only your resort. But most agree you can do it and no one will really say anything. Especially since DVC owners are allowed to pool hop so they may need to take their cups other places. I wouldn't worry about it. Also some DVC's are harder to get refills at, just because of location.

Debbie Jean
03-19-2008, 01:09 PM
I have not looked into AP rates. Someone on DIS said you would have to stay at least 12 nights to actually save money. I have not broken that down either.

Question: Does DVC resorts have refillable mugs? If you do a split stay, I am assuming that you have to purchase the mugs at each resort. That would get pricey. Or does DVC resorts have special mugs that can be used at all resorts?

Yes, they have refillable mugs. I own at SSR so it's what I'm most familiar with... when I was last there in January the mugs were labeled "Disney Vacation Club" so I think the answer is yes, you would have to buy them twice.

I would definitely split my stay be ENDING with whichever DVC resort you select. There isn't a Disney resort I don't absolutely love for one resaon or another but be forewarned that after you go DVC it will really spoil you!! With a family of 5, it won't come as a surprise to you how much easier life is with a washer/dryer. :rotfl: The kitchen also comes in quite handy even if you aren't cooking large meals.

DD (21) and I staying at AKV for the first time in May... can't wait!!! :cooldance:

linanglab
03-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Yes, they have refillable mugs. I own at SSR so it's what I'm most familiar with... when I was last there in January the mugs were labeled "Disney Vacation Club" so I think the answer is yes, you would have to buy them twice.

I would definitely split my stay be ENDING with whichever DVC resort you select. There isn't a Disney resort I don't absolutely love for one resaon or another but be forewarned that after you go DVC it will really spoil you!! With a family of 5, it won't come as a surprise to you how much easier life is with a washer/dryer. :rotfl: The kitchen also comes in quite handy even if you aren't cooking large meals.

DD (21) and I staying at AKV for the first time in May... can't wait!!! :cooldance:

Yes...I am afraid that we might feel spoiled. We felt spoiled by having a curtain between the bath and the bedroom portion of POR compared to what there was at ASSports! LOL! Not sure how much the kitchen will make a difference as much as the laundry. I refuse to cook on vacation. We do eat granola bars, etc., for breakfast though.

Magical JenK
03-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Yes...I am afraid that we might feel spoiled. We felt spoiled by having a curtain between the bath and the bedroom portion of POR compared to what there was at ASSports!

:rotfl: Love it!

Loving this thread & yeah Pam (missymouse)! Wow! You certainly have done your homework! I know who I'm going to if we ever think about DVC! I'm really learning a lot here! Keep it up!

FWIW: I think you should do POR & then the DVC you'd save money because you only need 1 room vs 2 at the values & THEN you'll go to the lap of luxury of DVC rather than going from big room to small room...EVERYONE will be so happy!!

One question...when Pam was quoting the point values for one week...is that 5 nights or 7 nights? I would guess 7, but not sure. Thanks

bartleby1
03-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Angela, thanks for posting this question and thanks to all of you who posted info and replies! I have briefly looked into renting points in the past too but didn't find it as affordable as many people posted about on the dis. All I kept thinking of is how many more nights we could stay at POR for the same price as fewer nights elsewhere. Longer stays always won out over nicer accommodations!:rotfl:

We are also a family of 5 so we're faced with the same limitations. If we go this summer, we will be scraping up every penny to get there so POR it will be! However, I'd love to look into other options for future trips. It's nice to see some $$ figures to compare.

Let us know what you decide on Angela! You know we all like to live through others trips and planning!:rotfl:

LuvMyBoys
03-19-2008, 01:50 PM

FYI, we were at SSR earlier this month on the DDP and got the refillable mugs, they were the exact same "Year of a Million Dreams" generic mugs that are found at all the resorts now. Not sure when they are going to change those though. :)

linanglab
03-19-2008, 01:53 PM
I might be able to cut a little off the price also if I went Tues - Sat at POR and then Sun - Thurs at DVC. It would be an equal stay. Was hoping to stay more than 1/2 at DVC, but this might be a good compromise - don't want to be TOO spoiled, now do we?

Oh...the YOAMD commercial is on RIGHT now! Ahhh.....Just had to add that in. I LOVE those commercials!

wilsonfamily4
03-19-2008, 02:03 PM
We never cooked in our kitchen BUT we did make hot chocolate and popcorn and we had a huge fridge for all our waters. Next time I want to do a few breakfasts in our room. I am thinking about bringing things like potatoes, pancake mix, oil, etc. that can last in my luggage. :) maybe even a dry cookie mix for evenings where we stay to swim. (I do know about delivery of groceries and may look into that) Still planning thinsg so this may all change. :)

With staying at a DVC you could also buy less park day tickets since you will be there so long and use the community hall at a DVC. They have some really fun things.

missymouse
03-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Another thing you might consider is the Family Suite at All Star Music

Rack rates" (full price) for the family suites are $169 value season, $209 regular, $239 peak, $259 holiday.

They sleep 6 people.

So if your dates fall in regular season it would be about $945 or if it is peak it would be $1080

So I would even do that before the two rooms at a value I think because you would have at least one queen size bed instead of the 4 doubles. Yuck!

Can you tell I like a big comfortable bed when on vacation. :angel:

kimntrent
03-19-2008, 02:34 PM
We use the grocery service last time and got several cases of water and put them in the fridge and saved a ton that way. We did use the refill mug too and that saved some also. But you will be amazed at how much you do use the kitchen. Expecially while others are getting ready. 5 can fit in a 1 bedroom too with a rollaway and a pull out sleeper sofa. We have done it several times without any problem. It is much easier at OKW. May I suggest if you are renting points to rent mid week on everything and then the Friday and Sat at a mod hotel. And the DDP you get with an AP is nice and will save you a ton of money. Right there alone does add up nice.

Debbie Jean
03-19-2008, 02:52 PM
FYI, we were at SSR earlier this month on the DDP and got the refillable mugs, they were the exact same "Year of a Million Dreams" generic mugs that are found at all the resorts now. Not sure when they are going to change those though. :)

I think you're correct, actually. The one I have here at work is from a prior trip... I went solo in January and DD took my mug :( which was the YOMD. I buy one every trip not just to use there but to have at home... keeps me in a Disney frame of mind! :love:

The best thing about the kitchen is having a regular fridge to load with full size beverages! :rotfl:

ligrumpygirl
03-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Coming late to this discussion but I love all DVC chat!

Just one thing to keep in mind about squeezing 5 people into a 1 bedroom...only 4 will be on your reservation. Which means no EMH or DDP for that unlucky 5th person. :rotfl:

That said...if you need any DVC help (running numbers if missymouse is not around or general questions) just ask. I don't know which I like talking about more Disney in general or DVC!

linanglab
03-19-2008, 08:53 PM
This is what I am very confused about. According to the Dis, many Cm's allow 5 in a 1 bedroom with all 5 on the reservation. That is the issue. I am not sure exactly what to look for because there is different information from all directions! AAUUGGHH!!!

And Janet - feel free to run as many numbers for me as you want - all the possibilites, etc! LOL!!!

ligrumpygirl
03-19-2008, 09:18 PM
I am not sure if you want to base your vacation on MAYBE getting all 5 of you on a reservation. If you don't you may have to sell one of the kids on the spot!

linanglab
03-20-2008, 05:50 AM
I am not sure if you want to base your vacation on MAYBE getting all 5 of you on a reservation. If you don't you may have to sell one of the kids on the spot!

Well...depending on my 13 year old's attititude (he will be 14 when we go) he may be on the chopping block! LOL!!!!

I might do some asking around on the DIS about the 5 in a 1 bedroom thing. I need to put on my armor though. It may be rough in there! LOL

If I could get away with a 1 bedroom, I would like to price them all out. I do really like AK, though, which is a 5 person. But when it comes right down to it....I try to go as cheaply as possible. I would probably do all POR again this time if it wasn't for DH. Not that I don't want a change, I just like to spend as little as possible. Hey...I am at WDW! I would be happy just to be there WHEREVER I stayed!

missymouse
03-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Well...depending on my 13 year old's attititude (he will be 14 when we go) he may be on the chopping block! LOL!!!!

I might do some asking around on the DIS about the 5 in a 1 bedroom thing. I need to put on my armor though. It may be rough in there! LOL

If I could get away with a 1 bedroom, I would like to price them all out. I do really like AK, though, which is a 5 person. But when it comes right down to it....I try to go as cheaply as possible. I would probably do all POR again this time if it wasn't for DH. Not that I don't want a change, I just like to spend as little as possible. Hey...I am at WDW! I would be happy just to be there WHEREVER I stayed!

Just make sure you keep your inquiries in the Occupancy thread and you should be ok.

I think I have given you the basic info on all the DVC resorts for a week. If you want daily points you can either let me know or on the DVC boards on disboards is a points Chart and maybe a calculator that you can put in your dates and it will give you all the info you need.

I think trying to rent anywhere but AKV is a bit if a gamble getting that 5th person on a reservation.

As far as threatening the DS13 get a book called Get Out of My Life, but first could you drive me and Cheryl to the Mall? by Anthony Wolf. It is funny and it got me through that age with my daughter and is helping me keep perspective with my DS also 13

LuvMyBoys
03-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Another tiny money consideration to think about - the prices for the Disney hotels will have tax tacked on to them too (I think 16 or 18%??)

Renting points for DVC you just pay the price of the points, no tax on that.

Just wanted to throw that out there for when you are doing bottom line pricing :)

missymouse
03-20-2008, 10:04 AM
You are right about tax, but the quotes from Disneyworld.com includes the taxes. I was going to point that out but checked to make sure before. So if you get a really good AAA price you need to verify if it is with or without the tax.

Good point though that you also have to consider the hotel tax at the resorts.

linanglab
03-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Member services will allow 5 without extra bedding and towels, and you can rent an extra towel pack for $6 when you check in. Don't forget that OKW has that big laundry room in each 1 bedroom too, so throwing towels in the washer and dryer daily is not an issue if you MUST have a fresh towel every day. We usually just throw them in the dryer to freshen them. Also, the OKW laundry room makes a great little bedroom for a small child on an air matress or the cushions from the sofa.

This is a response to the question I asked about 5 in a 1 bedroom. I also asked about EMH and they did not answer that. However, throughout the thread it said if there is 5 on the reservation, then they will give 5 keys, which will get us ALL to EMH. Is that right?

If we waited until January to put in a request for a DVC resort, is that going to be too long to wait? DH's work usually closed during the week of July 4th. However, there is talk that THAT week will be mandatory and we will be able to pick our own week. But we will not know until the end of January. Will that make it too hard to find someone to rent to us?

missymouse
03-20-2008, 11:27 AM
If you want OKW or SSR you might be ok. I don't know how popular July 4th week is for DVC but if you are doing the DVC at the end of the vacation you might have a better chance. You want to do everything as close as possible to the 7 month mark as possible because that is when all resorts are open to all DVC members. So for example if I owned at SSR I could book SSR at 11 months or any of the others at 7 months. By waiting until 7 months you can rent from more people because they won't be limited to their "Home" resort.

kimbih
03-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Member services will allow 5 without extra bedding and towels, and you can rent an extra towel pack for $6 when you check in. Don't forget that OKW has that big laundry room in each 1 bedroom too, so throwing towels in the washer and dryer daily is not an issue if you MUST have a fresh towel every day. We usually just throw them in the dryer to freshen them. Also, the OKW laundry room makes a great little bedroom for a small child on an air matress or the cushions from the sofa.

This is a response to the question I asked about 5 in a 1 bedroom. I also asked about EMH and they did not answer that. However, throughout the thread it said if there is 5 on the reservation, then they will give 5 keys, which will get us ALL to EMH. Is that right?

If we waited until January to put in a request for a DVC resort, is that going to be too long to wait? DH's work usually closed during the week of July 4th. However, there is talk that THAT week will be mandatory and we will be able to pick our own week. But we will not know until the end of January. Will that make it too hard to find someone to rent to us?

If there are 5 on the reservation, put on by MS at the time of reservations, currently they will all get KTTW cards for EMH. Of course, there is a long time between now & then. (I've seen reports that CMs will give a 5th card at checkin to people staying in studios too....which even MS will not allow.)

Also there is some speculation that once AKV Kidani Village (sp?) opens, MS will get more strict with the rules. (The feeling is that MS has been allowing it since members have little other option. Now that AKV will have the 5th person option, they have more choices.)

You also have to make sure everyone's name is on the reservation if you intend on using Magical Express.

luvdisney00
03-22-2008, 11:27 AM
I also was looking into renting pts for a vacation for a family of 5, but decided not to do it because there aren't great options. I don't really understand why Disney made a studio that sleeps 4 and then a 1 BR that also sleeps 4. IMHO, they should have made the 1 BR for 5 and the 2 BR for 6-8. What do families that have 3 kids do when they buy DVC? It seems a little weird to me (and maybe I'm missing something) that you would own a timeshare and then go "hoping" that the CM that checks you in will allow all of your kids to be legally in the room and on KTTK or DDP. I guess Disney has since realized this and that's why they are fixing it by opening AKV with the new 1 BR for 5.

I'm hoping that maybe they will open or renovate some others to accomadate 5, because I would love to buy DVC in the future. Right now we opt to stay deluxe because the room size is perfect for us. I don't feel like there are great mod options for 5 people either. POR looks really nice, but 2 double beds and a trundle seems cramped to me, and if I had to do 2 rooms at a mod, I'd rather just have the 1 at a deluxe for the location. Last year at the Polynesian, we had plenty of room and we brought granola bars, yogurt, fruit, milk & cereal, and bottled water and had no problem fitting it into the fridge and pantry area. A microwave would have been nice, but that's the extent of the eating in I'm doing on vacation anyway.

Angela,
Maybe Disney thinks we had too many kids? :rotfl:

BTW: my upcoming trip is only 5 nights which is why deluxe is doable. If you are staying 10 nights I could see how it would be out of the question.

You'll work it out. You've got time to check out all of the options, and the split stay sounds like a good idea. Maybe between now and then Disney wil renovate one of the older ones and add the sleeper chairs :).
Dorothy

linanglab
03-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Famililes of 5 are hard to accomodate I suppose! We really do not mind cramped quarters. They all pile on the couch with us - even if we are on the loveseat, they all seem to sit with us. LOL! My middle boy loves sleeping on the floor, so a blanket or sleeping bag would be fine with him. He hardly sleeps in his OWN bed! But I know there is a fire code, so that plays into effect.

I would love deluxe, but, even if we could swing it financially (unless I was loaded! LOL) I am such a frugal - or some would say cheap - that I just rather spend the money on other things than the hotel.

I have been reading through all the threads on the DIS. Thanks to you all - especially Missy mouse (YOU ROCK!) I am understanding it a little better. DH is all for the rental. I am hoping to find someone I can trust that can help me get what I want/need.

wilsonfamily4
03-22-2008, 06:12 PM
O, I am so glad you are going to try it. I had a few people approach me about renting so don't go with the first one. Make sure you feel comfortable with all they ask of you and get any info that makes you comfortable. Also I know some say to do Paypal but that only protects the seller and not the buyer. We did a cashiers check so I can at least trace that. Also I was going to go with a man who was selling them for 12 a point. I was happy with that but it fell through and the next women offered 11 a point!! Boy was I glad the first fell through. We had added a day and that pretty much paid for the added night!

We stayed in the studio and 1 bedroom last time, split stay, and the studio is cramped but the one bedroom felt huge! I think it will be just fine for 5. I cannot wait to see what a 2 bedroom feels like.

linanglab
03-23-2008, 07:35 AM
I cannot IMAGINE staying in a 2 bedroom! Talk about luxery! I think that they would have to drag me out. I would not want to leave on my own! LOL

You will have to let me know how the 2 bedroom! Talk lots of pictures whenever you rent!

Dee - are you considering buying into DVC? Or are you, waiting like me, to win YOAMD giveaway? LOL!!

pbhall13
03-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Two bedrooms are great........it has been a while since being in a 2 bedroom (1998 at Boardwalk...and it was only 4 adults) We had lots of room.......so with kids it will be great!

Pamela

Weluvdisny
03-23-2008, 11:45 PM
We just rented points for the first time in January. We had a 2 bedroom villa at BW and LOVED it!! Loved the w/d and the kitchen. We had previously stayed at POR twice and was worried about staying somewhere else. We were not disappointed. It was awesome! I am renting points from the same person next year.

If you do rent points, they say to get a few references. I did and it made me feel better when I received the recommendations.

It was a hard decision to leave POR but I'm glad we took the plunge and ventured out of our comfort zone. Good luck with your reservations and I hope everything works out.:sunshine:

Melissa

linanglab
03-24-2008, 06:52 AM
How do you go about getting recommendations for renting points?

Weluvdisny
03-24-2008, 03:38 PM
The girl that I rented points from gave me three e-mail addresses to send out for references. I received back 2 out of the 3 and they were glowing so I went with her. We didn't sign any contract or anything. I guess I was really lucky to get such a nice person to rent from.