PDA

View Full Version : Obopay Card or Simon Visa???

2mickeys1minnie
06-08-2007, 08:51 AM
How does obopay work exactly? Do you have to wait until you receive an actual card in the mail to start using it? Please help!:)

2mickeys1minnie
06-08-2007, 04:38 PM
anyone??:)

jnorth1007
06-08-2007, 04:40 PM
Here is a whole thread about oboy pay and how it works. I don't really know anything about Simon, sorry ! http://www.sunshinerewardsforum.com/showthread.php?t=409

jnorth1007
06-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Another thing to add is that any preauthorizations that they do on your card, like when they run it through for 1.00 to test the card, stay on the card for 30 days before they fall off. So this money is held for 30 days and then if not properly charged they will fall off.

krg1968
06-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Definitely sign up for Obopay. It's $3.50 in SR and $10 credit to start out on Obopay. I signed up on another site and when SR offered it I signed my husband up, too. I'm waiting for his card to come in the mail, they want me to fax them a copy of my ID to verify mine for a card and I haven't done so yet.
Folks have been posting about using theirs with success. It seems safe.
Good luck,
kelly

luvdisney00
06-09-2007, 07:07 AM
Did anyone else need a ss# to get obopay? I thought this sounded like a good idea, but I wouldn't put in my ss# so they didn't send me a card. I wonder why my DL wouln't work as ID.

Lisaj68
06-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Thanks for posting!

I have been thinking about this too, but just can't bring myself to use my "regular" Visa.

I have also been trying to understand the concept behind it. Is this "you have to spend money to make money" ? I do understand THAT!! :rotfl:

Lisa

jnorth1007
06-09-2007, 09:30 AM
The obopay card is going to require a ss# for most people. I don't know why but they do. They will run your credit but it appears on your report under the area for requests that don't affect your credit score or show up on reports that are requested by people when you are requesting other credit. The concept is that there are offers that require a credit card number in order to sign up for them. These pay much higher, usually in the 9-12 dollar range. The companies run your card and put a 1.00 hold on them to make sure that the cards are legitamate. If you dont keep the service you never get a charge after that. With obopay those 1.00 charges will stay for 30 days and then they will fall off. Basically you are getting the credits for free unless you keep the service in which case you will need to make sure that you transfer enough money to the obopay card to cover the charge they will make. The use of these cards keep you from having to give these online companies you credit card information and allowing them basically unlimited access to a line of credit. You can control your losses if by chance something were to happen. You also have a card that isn't tied to your credit report because although they do check your credit they do not report the card on your report. This means that if something happens you don't have to be concerned about it affecting your credit report. They charge you 1% to transfer money from a debit or credit card which is nothing for the safety of being able to control how much money can be charged to you. HTH!

mollyeilis
06-11-2007, 01:00 AM
Well, I just did this, and since my DL and address don't match yet, I, gasp, used my ss number. omg I hope they are a good and nice company...

Anyway, got the newly-increased 4.75 VERY fast, and the $10 showed on my obopay account. After that's done (I didn't tell hubby what I was doing while signing up, and he thought I'd lost my mind when I held my phone, clicked with the computer, then got a phone call), I went back into my account, and "applied" for the prepaid card. So they say it will be here in 5-10 business days. Since there's no MC account number on the site, I'm guessing one had to have it in hand before one uses it.

Hope that helps someone!

jnorth1007
06-11-2007, 08:42 AM
I gave them my SS# also and have had no troubles.

dreamtrip
06-12-2007, 04:38 PM
I just signed up and the credit showed up in my SR almost immediately.