PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me Boardwalk is Good!

SunshineGirl
04-23-2014, 04:54 PM
So we ended up with Boardwalk for our trip this summer. We initially thought after our trip last summer that we wanted to be close to EPCOT because we were there so much. Now it looks by our schedule like we are going to be at MK. I'm looking at Boardwalk and hoping that we made the right choice!

SCard
04-24-2014, 08:39 AM
So we ended up with Boardwalk for our trip this summer. We initially thought after our trip last summer that we wanted to be close to EPCOT because we were there so much. Now it looks by our schedule like we are going to be at MK. I'm looking at Boardwalk and hoping that we made the right choice!

Don't know anything about it personally, but I have friends who own there (and SSR) and they love it.

dwkay8
04-24-2014, 09:49 AM
You'll have the best of both worlds, time in MK and a nice resort area and quick access to World Showcase and IllumiNations anytime you're back early for the night!

MamaO
04-24-2014, 12:47 PM

Boardwalk is one of our home resorts. With small grandkids who want to spend most of their time in the MK, we haven't stayed in the Epcot area for awhile now. But we've always enjoyed it there, especially when our boys were teens and now if it's just DH and myself. Love being able to walk to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios and LOVE having Beaches 'n Cream in the vicinity (they now take reservations for meals, too) and a Funnel cake stand on the Boardwalk! The corridors are long, but once we learned the exit locations, we used the stairs to come and go if we were a long way from elevators.

The more I go to Disney, the more I enjoy sampling the different DVC resorts! Each time I plan a trip, I have to 'talk myself into' making a reservation at a new place rather than returning to one we know we like. And each time, I've loved the new one. We just returned from a stay at Villas at Grand Floridian and have our first reservation over Labor Day weekend at Kidani Village at AKL.

chipndale
04-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Boardwalk is one of our home resorts. With small grandkids who want to spend most of their time in the MK, we haven't stayed in the Epcot area for awhile now. But we've always enjoyed it there, especially when our boys were teens and now if it's just DH and myself. Love being able to walk to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios and LOVE having Beaches 'n Cream in the vicinity (they now take reservations for meals, too) and a Funnel cake stand on the Boardwalk! The corridors are long, but once we learned the exit locations, we used the stairs to come and go if we were a long way from elevators.

The more I go to Disney, the more I enjoy sampling the different DVC resorts! Each time I plan a trip, I have to 'talk myself into' making a reservation at a new place rather than returning to one we know we like. And each time, I've loved the new one. We just returned from a stay at Villas at Grand Floridian and have our first reservation over Labor Day weekend at Kidani Village at AKL.

Don't want to take over this thread but was wondering how you liked the Villas at Grand Floridian. I was looking at staying there next year and was wondering if it is worth the extra points.

MKCP84
04-24-2014, 07:50 PM
One of our home resorts is the Boardwalk and after trying most of the other DVC resorts our family always looks forward to returning to the the Boardwalk. One of my favorite moments is watching Illuminations between Mexico and Norway and walking back to the Boardwalk listening to the music when the park is closing. By the time we get to Germany most of the people have left the park and we can enjoy the walk back. We also like being able to walk to Epcot and DHS rather than taking transportation. Walking to Beaches and Cream for a quick dinner and walking around the Boardwalk at night is a good way to end your day.

Just one word of advice, renting a surrey bike on the Boardwalk isn't as relaxing as it looks with all the hills.:)

gpp2001
04-24-2014, 08:44 PM
You'll enjoy the Boardwalk! Close to great restaurants, close the Epcot, close to Hollywood Studios! I would stay there every time if I could afford it! :sunshine:

MamaO
04-25-2014, 07:43 AM
Don't want to take over this thread but was wondering how you liked the Villas at Grand Floridian. I was looking at staying there next year and was wondering if it is worth the extra points.

We loved it and would definitely stay there again! Décor is wonderful with a very relaxing atmosphere. There were 7 of us in a 2-bedroom. Did miss a little bit the third bathroom and slide-out pantry that Bay Lake Tower has. It was fun to have TVs in the bathroom mirrors!
DH was a little frustrated with the internet connection. He uses it in the evening to get work done - it was very slow and he kept getting bumped off. He called the HELP desk a few times but there was not much they could do - it was the traffic volume and placement of the router.

SunshineGirl
04-25-2014, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the feedback! It seem like when we booked it we were really excited about it. So I need to just stop second guessing our decision! We do have about 4 days marked as either EPCOT or DS, so those will be nice and handy. And we usually drive to AK and the waterparks anyway since their parking lots are pretty easy. My biggest fear is MK. But my girls are big enough now to know that they had better not complain about any walking!! And the time on the bus is when they catch up on their Instagram accounts. :rolleyes:

MamaO
04-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback! It seem like when we booked it we were really excited about it. So I need to just stop second guessing our decision! We do have about 4 days marked as either EPCOT or DS, so those will be nice and handy. And we usually drive to AK and the waterparks anyway since their parking lots are pretty easy. My biggest fear is MK. But my girls are big enough now to know that they had better not complain about any walking!! And the time on the bus is when they catch up on their Instagram accounts. :rolleyes:

If you don't want to walk to Hollywood Studios, the boat ride is nice, too (and you can take the boat to Epcot, but it's probably faster to walk it).

SunshineGirl
05-22-2014, 12:26 PM
I'm even more excited now because we managed to get my sister's OKW reservation switched to BWV so that we can all be at the same place now!

wendyburger
06-05-2014, 05:52 PM
We own at both Boardwalk Villas and Bay Lake Towers. 99% of our stays we choose The Boardwalk. I personally love being able to stay at Epcot for Illuminations and the causally walk back to our hotel, without fighting the crowds heading towards the bus. LOVE the International Gateway entrance :) And walking back along the boardwalk to the hotel, I still feel like I am part of the "magic". There is always some form of entertainment, like a magician or juggler, etc.

Most of our trips coincide with the Food & Wine festival, so again, love being close to Epcot. We also always walk to Hollywood studios as it is usually faster than taking the boat. (I believe it's about 1 mile).

We dislike the bus so much that unless we want to be at MK at opening (or go to AK) we walk over to the monorail (about 1.5 miles from hotel to monorail)

The Boardwalk also has a relaxing lounge where you can get coffee, pastries and "adult" drinks if you have some down time.

disney_girl
06-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Tricia, I'm curious to hear what you all thought of the Boardwalk. We own at Saratoga and Animal Kingdom but prefer to stay at Boardwalk for the location- especially when runDisney races are involved.

We stayed our first night on this trip in the Grand Floridian Villas and LOVED it! GF was the first resort we stayed in a few times before kids so it has always had a special place for us. The villas were amazing and had such a relaxing feel to them! My daughter is still talking about our one nigh there! The only downside was that the monorail was down one morning and it took quite awhile to get to MK by boat.