PDA

View Full Version : Packing Tips?

disney_girl
04-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Do you have any packing tips to share? I know that one a lot of people say is to pack and then take half back out lol. I always try to pack sensibly, but seem to overpack anyway. In about a month we're going to WDW and this will be our first trip with 2 kids. We're renting a car, so that means 2 car seats, umbrella stroller, laptop, etc. So, I'm trying to keep our luggage count as low as possible (of course with the extra duffel bag for souvies!). I have also read that some airlines are starting to charge a fee for the 2nd checked bag. Since we'll have a rental car, I figure we can pick up our snacks, water, etc. rather than taking up space with that stuff. And we'll have a washer/ dryer avaiable since we're staying DVC- so that should help some.

Also in October we are going to WDW for a few days and then a Disney Cruise. That's the time that will be harder for me- since you have some dressy clothes/ shoes for the cruise.

So, just curious if you have any packing tips to share? Especially those with small kids! Thanks!

coastalgirl
04-02-2008, 11:35 PM
I found with our little one it was easiest to pack her clothes in ziplock bags, I could fit an whole outfit in there, including hairbows and such. It was easy to just toss one out for daddy to dress her and it also was easy to always have a change of clothes in the bag for her, and then I had a bag to put the dirty ones bag into. You really only want to take your most comfortable shoes, and I know with our little girl I wanted her to wear all her cute little sandals, but it did not cut even the amount of walking she did. She spent almost the whole trip in her crocs or her tennis shoes.
I hope that helps a little and if I come up with more I will let ya know!!

lmroyea
04-03-2008, 01:48 AM
That's really good with the Ziplocs, don't need it now, but I'm always looking for ideas, I like how the Ziploc can do double duty, that's so great.

linanglab
04-03-2008, 05:41 AM
I agree with the ziploc baggies. I did that the last 2 trips. I am planning on doing it next year, and oldest DS will be 14! LOL They just pick a bag, and it is all there, underwear, socks, hair bows for girls. LOVE it. We do not pack any jean shorts for the boys. They are too bulky. They like to wear the athletic shorts with a tank. It is very easy to pack those in the ziplocks. Plus, the baggies can be used for wet bathing suits for the trip home, if necessary. That is my favorite packing tip!

fourfoxesinpa
04-03-2008, 08:42 AM
An absolute necessity for the cruise - a 12 or 10 pocket over the door shoe hanger. You can use the pockets for battery chargers, sunglasses, gps, etc. We always take a 2nd hanger and use the pockets for all our toiletries. At the end of the week, just fold the whole thing up and throw it in a suitcase. We now use this for all vacations, not just cruise because it keeps everything tidy and is just so easy to pack/unpack.

I try to buy products that can work for more than 1 purpose when we travel. For instance, I take a bottle of shampoo/conditioner instead of 1 bottle of each. I also take a combination face cleaner/moisturizer and a bronzer, instead of 3 different face cleaners, blush and eye shadow. Every little bit of space helps.

One thing I won't leave home without (when going on the cruise) is a Downy Wrinkle Releaser. Works like a charm and you don't have to wait in line to use the iron. Who wants to iron when you're on vacation anyway???

We also keep one of the pop up hangers in our suitcase so we have a place to throw the dirty laundry if we have access to a w/d.

Even the little ones can help carry the load - fill their carry on size suitcases with things that take up space but not a lot of weight - like the rain ponchos, umbrellas, zip lock bags, film, blow up water toys, glow sticks, water bottles, lanyards, flip flops, etc.

Check your airline's website for weight limits. Some are as low as 50 pounds now, and it doesn't take much to get to that weight when you start throwing shoes in. They will also list the 2nd bag and carry on requirements (they vary by airlines)

SunshineGirl
04-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Target had suitcase scales a couple of weeks ago. I am definitely getting one of those before we fly again. On our Disney Cruise trip, we came back with so much stuff that we were over the weight limit and frantically redoing our luggage at the airline checkin!

I would also get the Disney packing list from online. It's a 3 page word document that it tailored to disney trips and disney cruises. If you don't have it, email me and I will email it to you. I'm actually using it for our HH trip as we speak.

BIG YES no the ziplocks. I use them for EVERYTHING!

disney_girl
04-03-2008, 09:23 AM
All good tips! I'll have to look for the packing list today! The luggage scale is a great idea!!!! We went on the DVC Member cruise in 2006 and came back with soooo much stuff that we too had to frantically try to reorganize everything at the last minute. Something you really don't want to be doing especially after a vacation!! I thought we were going to have to leave one of the huge photo albums behind because they weighed a ton! Thanks for the tips!! Keep em coming!

SunshineGirl
04-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Target.com has this luggage scale for 9.54. I'm sure it is the same one that I saw at mine with the luggage.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41O0aL7PjFL._SS260_.jpg

jenvance
04-03-2008, 09:39 AM
This is a packing list from a very organized member on the disney website that I go to:
Things to check 1-2 weeks before you leave:
Resort reservations
airline reservations
ground transportation
ME if you are using that
all your ADRs
car rental (if you are driving once there)
grocery delivery time and arrangements if you are using a grocer service

Essential items you can't get at the world:
prescription drugs that you have to take...make sure you have enough to last the entire trip.
address book for postcards if you are sending them
driver's license
credit cards
traveler's checks
disney dollars
medical ID bracelette if you have a serious allergy or medical condition
note from doctor if you are going to need a wheelchair
spare glasses, contact solution, &glasses repair kit (thanks emamasa)

Important stuff to take just in case:
receipts for all traveler's checks
Credit card 800 numbers in case you lose one or something crazy
duplicate copies of all travel documents (reservations etc)
photo copies of ALL park passes with their receipts
phone card (you never know)
ID's for your children to carry in case they are lost. Something with your cell phone and resort information (don't forget to take a snap shot of your child every day or write down what they are wearing. You may not remember if you are in a panic looking for them) - thanks alicefan.

First aidish items that cant' hurt to pack:
bug spray
benedryl spray or ointment
benedryl pills
asprin
minor cold meds
aloe
sun screen
band-aids
mole skin
neopsporin
burn cream
ear dry (stuff to use when you get out of the pool)
any other medical kind of items you use regularly
hand sanitizer
lysol
stinky foot spray or powder
tums, immodium etc (thanks emamasa!)

Outerwear:
sweatshirts
light jacket
poncho
*for winter travel* take a few sweatshirts and a light jacket. If you are from a cooler area like I am you will probally travel with your coat on...take a spare lighter one. It gets cold sometimes, but not enough for that winter coat us yankees wear.

footwear:
sandals
flip flops
2 pairs of walking shoes
slippers if you use them
one pair of socks for each day + 2-3 spare pairs

Nightwear:
PJ's for length of trip (I wear mine twice before I consider them dirty, so 8 nights = 4 nightgowns)
Robes (I cannot leave home without one...love my robes!)
bring at least one dressier or nice owfit for a nice dinner...more if you are planning to go out more than once (don't forget matching shoes)
1 pair of jeans
1-2 pairs of sweats (gets chilly at night)

Daywear:
1 owfit per day + 1-2 extras just in case
*For winter travel* - take one cool weather and one warm weather owfit per day....the weather gets tricky in orlando after November. Layered owfits work best. You will most definately need a light coat or long-sleeved shirt in the morning and at night. Take something that is easily removed and able to be tied around your wasit. I took cotton sweat owfits with jackets...wore a T under and when I got hot removed the jacket and when I got cold, put it back on....perfect!

Underwear :
1 set of undergarments per day + 1-2 extra just in case

Toiletries:
shampoo/conditioner
hair products that you normally use to get ready
hair dryer
curling iron
razors, shaving cream
soap, poof or loofa
lotion (body and face)
brush, comb or whatever you use
things to pull your hair back
hat and/or sunglasses (thanks andrea)
make-up
toothbrush, toothpaste, floss and mouth wash
nail file, clippers and tweezers

Other items:
small pair of scissors and a travel sized sewing kit
camera, film, spare batteries or whatever you use to capture the moments!
stamps, fat pen for autograph and regular pen
bag you are going to use to lug stuff around those parks
emtpy tote bag inside your luggage for the stuff you buy
trash bags, dollar store laundry bag or pop-up hamper (thanks othervoices's mom)...you have to put the stinky clothes somewhere!
baggies for your liquids (shampoo etc)
head phones and CD's
portable DVD players and movies
books and other entertainment (games) for the plane ride or a relaxing night
Bathing suit(s), cover-up and beach towels!
Notebook for notes for the report
Cell phone and charger. (thanks andrea!)
plastic cups, bowel and cutlery (thanks emamasa)
cork screw for you winos (me)..lol
massager for sore bodies (thanks emamasa)
booklight for you readers (emamasa)
post -it notes to cover the automatic potty sensor (emamasa)

Baby List (compliments of iluvwdw)
BABY
Diapers
Diaper Cream
Body Lotion
Baby Bath
Wipes
Swim Diapers
Bathing suits
Min of 2 outfits per day
PJs (1 for each day)
Min of 2 pairs of socks per day
Shoes
Blanket
Sheet for crib/playpen
Formula (if applicable)
Bottles or Sippy Cups
Bibs
Disposable Table Toppers
Baby Food (if applicable)
Baby Snacks
Utensils (fork, spoon and plastic bowls)
Baby Toys (something musical, few books, special stuffed animal)
Hat
Sunscreen
Hand Sanitizer
Baggies
Infant Tylenol or Motrin...just in case
Jacket or sweater for evening

Toddler list (also compliments of iluvwdw)
toddler (optional..lol)
Min of 2 outfits per day
Min of 2 pairs of socks per day
2 pairs of shoes
Underwear (min 1 per day, plus extras)
Bathing Suits
Books to read
Activity Books (writing, coloring)
Hand Held video game (Leapster, V-Smile, etc)
Hat
Sunscreen
Hand Sanitizer
Jacket/sweatshirt for evening
Baggies
Children's Tylenol or Motrin
Dress-up stuff to wear in the parks or to meals (ie Cinderella Dress, Captain Jack Sparrow outfit, etc)
Autograph Book (or buy one in the park)

m 'n c
04-03-2008, 10:00 AM
I think I have some packing lists as well. PM me if you need one but I think the PP got it covered.

Mom2aPrincess
04-03-2008, 10:20 AM
I have a disney packing list also.

And I use the ziplock bags even for myself for summer trips when I'm wearing shorts. It's so much easier.

I also scrounge the internet for free samples of stuff year around and pack those (they don't take up much space on the way there and I throw them away before leaving)

If you have a washing machine, I would literally pack for half as many days as I needed and plan on a laundry day half way.

we had issues with luggage weight last trip. I think I'll for sure pick one of those up.

arob414
04-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Somewhere I read that someone packs a box, flat, that is ready to use for shipping stuff back if you end up with too much stuff.

I am not too worried going, my girls are older so we don't have to worry about diapers, pullups, sippy cups, etc. but I am a little worried about the trip back. The girls have been saving their money, for months, so they will be able to buy a good bit. However, we should have some extra space due to the using up some of the stuff, such as laundry detergent (got a bottle at the $Tree, does 9 loads, Purex, I think), shampoo, snacks, etc.