PDA

View Full Version : Airline Problems

sammielynn
04-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Seems like several of the low cost airlines are shutting down, Aloha, ATA, Champion, and Skybus just this week.
If Allegiant goes out of business you may see my boys pushing the SUV down I-75 toward Orlando, don't think I can afford the gas!

jl8595
04-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Wow - Skybus too?! They're brand new! I guess they were just a little no frills to survive. What a shame for those folks who have tickets with them. :(

m 'n c
04-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah I wasn't too surprised when I read on the Dis that skybus went down. I don't know how they could really run a business on $10 tickets. Did they have higher priced tickets? Jet fuel is very expensive to make, transport, and buy (my client dabbles in refined products purchasing/selling/transportation).

Hedy
04-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Yeah I wasn't too surprised when I read on the Dis that skybus went down. I don't know how they could really run a business on $10 tickets. Did they have higher priced tickets? Jet fuel is very expensive to make, transport, and buy (my client dabbles in refined products purchasing/selling/transportation).

Supposedly they had some higher priced ones. However, I think they came along at the wrong time.

jl8595
04-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Yeah, the $10 tickets were very limited (I think only 10 seats) and after those sold out, the fares were similar to Southwest/JetBlue. But I agree with you Catherine - I think they kicked off during a really tough point and perhaps bit off more than they could chew with those expensive new planes.

sammielynn
04-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Now some of the gloom and doom folks on the DIS are saying that Allegiant is next. Why are there so many gloomy doomy folks there?

m 'n c
04-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Now some of the gloom and doom folks on the DIS are saying that Allegiant is next. Why are there so many gloomy doomy folks there?

By picking on others and being negative it helps them ignore their own problems/faults and feel better. It really is depressing over there sometimes.

Mom2aPrincess
04-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Yea. I've gotten to where I barely even browse on a lot of the older boards that I use to frequent. Seems so many are negative now. I just prefer to be here with my postive SR family. :hugs:

Hedy
04-05-2008, 08:02 PM

OTOH, not justify the gloom and doom, but given people were going LALALA when people were pointing out Skybus might not last much longer earlier this week, I might give the naysayers a touch of credibility. JMO.

Magical JenK
04-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Yea. I've gotten to where I barely even browse on a lot of the older boards that I use to frequent. Seems so many are negative now. I just prefer to be here with my postive SR family. :hugs:

Yeah, I agree. It's like you can't ask a question over there w/o getting some comment that makes you regret posting!!

mommytotwo
04-06-2008, 12:39 AM
I have never heard of Champion airlines.
Aloha is going to have a big affect on us :(. And there are alot of employees, and families that have been affected by the closure of these airlines :(.

Hedy
04-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Oooh, look, more gloom and doom!
When I was at AAA today the agents were talking about Alitalia's problems. http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSL0858850020080408?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0
I have to say, I'm glad the flight my mom was planning on taking out of Boston later this month was canceled before she got the ticket. The agent at AAA was saying that if they go down. as they codeshare with Delta, Delta'll be left hold the bag. Given Delta's issues, I think that if Alitalia does go down, this could go from bad to worse.

(Yes, I was complaining about airfare last week. Yes, I am something of a hypocrite.)

m 'n c
04-08-2008, 01:23 PM
I feel so out of the loop who are some of these airlines? I knew of ATA and Skybus from the DIS but never heard of Champion or Alitalia. Are they big airlines or more small startups?

askomsky
04-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Makes me kinda glad I don't have time to visit those boards!

It's really a shame their going out of business, what's worse is all those people who will be out of jobs!

m 'n c
04-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Apparently Frontier was the next to have issues. Filed Chapter 11 today but will not be ceasing operations. A little better but not much.

They recently pulled out of Baton Rouge. There just wasn't much demand for Baton Rouge to Denver flights and anything past Denver cost an arm and a leg. Sometimes I think the flight routes are a major cause of problems/bankruptcy not just oil prices.

m4travels
04-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Oooh, look, more gloom and doom!
When I was at AAA today the agents were talking about Alitalia's problems. http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSL0858850020080408?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0
I have to say, I'm glad the flight my mom was planning on taking out of Boston later this month was canceled before she got the ticket. The agent at AAA was saying that if they go down. as they codeshare with Delta, Delta'll be left hold the bag. Given Delta's issues, I think that if Alitalia does go down, this could go from bad to worse.

(Yes, I was complaining about airfare last week. Yes, I am something of a hypocrite.)

Dude says, "YIKES!!!!!" In March I booked the boss and his wife on Alitalia's first nonstop ever from LAX to Rome for their summer Med cruise!!! Oh, she'll be one unhappy lady if they go under.... Dude's gonna go get a kevlar vest!!!

wilsonfamily4
04-11-2008, 11:54 AM
I have been looking to book our trip in January but now I think I will hold tight to see what happens. Boy this is is awful!!

m 'n c
04-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I have been looking to book our trip in January but now I think I will hold tight to see what happens. Boy this is is awful!!

I think the majors will be fine: Delta, AA, US Air, United, Continental

Its the lower cost ones I just don't know about. I know nothing about JetBlue. I doubt they'd have a problem but you never know. I don't think Southwest will be affected. They use a hedging business plan for gas prices so they are still covered under some pretty darn good oil contracts for a few more years. They might have some trouble when most of the good contracts are up but you never know if we all start contracting on travel and spending prices might go back down.