PDA

View Full Version : Stroller rental increase

bartleby1
04-05-2008, 11:28 AM
For those of you who are planning a trip or are going soon and have budgeted for a stroller rental, info about a huge increase has been posted on another site that takes effect April 6.

The new prices will be:

$15.00 for single - $13.00 per day for Length of Stay rental ($10/$8 previously)

$31.00 for double - $27.00 per day for Length of Stay rental ($18/$16 previously)

I don't want this to start a debate about who needs/deserves strollers like what is going on over at the other site, but this is a significant increase which could be a complete shock to someone who arrives at disney without any knowledge of the amount a rental stroller will cost them. If you are going soon, you might want to consider bringing one from home or renting from a place off-site.

ETA: I also just noticed that SR is giving 4% back at strollers.com if you need a new one!

arob414
04-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Sooo glad my girls are too big for strollers. Yikes, I rented a double, last visit, even tho DD12 was 9 because even she got tired of walking and would occasionally hop in for a break, but also to cart stuff around in. Before that, I carried my own strollers. This year, we will each have our own baggalini to carry our own stuff in plus with them being older, we don't need as much "stuff". I feel for you mothers with little ones.

wilsonfamily4
04-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Truthfully I am such a cheapie that I thought it was expensive before the huge raise. We just bring our own. It is nice to have them in the aiport anyway and they fold up so small and can be gate checked. I am looking forward to not needing them anymore. This next trip we may just bring one and have the kids take turns but it was nice to have somewhere to put our junk.

bartleby1
04-05-2008, 12:58 PM
I thought they were expensive before too, but I did pay it for my two older ones since both of them are tall and outgrew normal strollers by around 3-1/2. Now, the cost is ridiculous and I feel sorry for people that really need to rent. And, I can't imagine finding this out once I was down there! I think that would take a little magic out of my day, LOL! That's why I wanted to warn people here, in case they were planning on renting.

Not sure what I'm going to do if we go this summer. I was planning on renting a double for my 3 and 5 year olds, but I won't pay that. My 8 yr old will definitely be hoofing it (even though she is my kid with the least stamina :confused:), but my 5 year old has problems with his feet and knees and he also cannot handle the heat. His normal body temp is only 97.6 for some reason and I think this is why he feels the heat more than the rest of us. I have a single maclaren but it is an older model and only rated up to 45 pounds so he is too heavy for it (he's 47 lbs now). I know the newer ones are rated up to 55 lbs, but I SOOOO don't need another stroller! I currently have 5 singles and one double in my garage and since we are done having kids and my youngest is 3, I don't want to buy another ... dilemma.:confused:

arob414
04-05-2008, 01:40 PM
I currently have 5 singles and one double in my garage and since we are done having kids and my youngest is 3, I don't want to buy another ... dilemma.:confused:

Oh, you sound like me. And, I only had two kids but somehow, I ended up with a double (that my mom talked me out of taking one yr, she thought it would be too much trouble to deal with), a umbrella stroller (bought because I left ours sitting in the garage, once, when we packed for Disney :(), a jogging stroller (sis gave me when she was done), my original stroller that came with carseat, bought for first child and a second, similar one, that I bought at a yardsale to take when my mom thought the double would be too much. Oh, and I also had one that let precious DD12 lie down in because I thought the original stroller just didn't look comfortable enough for the precious little thing.:p

However, by the last trip, I had either sold them or gave them all away so I ended up renting the double for DD10 who was 6, then.

Blessing and Miracle
04-05-2008, 03:11 PM
We took our double stroller for the girls. I know that if the price increased for the strollers it definitely increased for the wheelchairs. Since I can't walk too long with out getting tired, due to the chemo, I take my own chair on every vacation, espcially Disney!!! But with the twins it was kinda hard trying to push them, me and carry along everything else, so I rented one of their motorized ones and boy was it expensive!!! I think too expensive! And, I bet they increased the price on that as well.

I wonderful if it all has to do with the increase in gas prices! LOL.

I do think that they make enough on Tickets, food, etc., and the need to increase the price for strollers and such is greed!!!

TtownAnne
04-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Meh - I'd still sooner rent than have to deal with hauling one through the airport and worry about it getting crashed around, etc. I think we can all say with some certainty that stuff put on the airplane isn't necessarily handled with the greatest of precious delicacy!

On top of which, while we don't have a regular stroller anymore for DD6, but the miles and miles of walking that you would rack up in a day at WDW make a stroller for younger kids a necessity I think. There were plenty of days when I wanted a stroller for MYSELF! But there's no way I'd buy a stroller just for a trip when I'd never use it at home, so I would still be willing to rent.

tinad171972
04-05-2008, 03:43 PM
We rented a double last year for my 2 yo and were planning on renting one this year also until I read about the increase. Since we are going to be there for 8 days that comes to $216.00. That is just crazy. We were going to do it for the convenience but not at that price. We will just bring our umbrella stroller.

bartleby1
04-05-2008, 03:50 PM
We took our double stroller for the girls. I know that if the price increased for the strollers it definitely increased for the wheelchairs. Since I can't walk too long with out getting tired, due to the chemo, I take my own chair on every vacation, espcially Disney!!! But with the twins it was kinda hard trying to push them, me and carry along everything else, so I rented one of their motorized ones and boy was it expensive!!! I think too expensive! And, I bet they increased the price on that as well.

I wonderful if it all has to do with the increase in gas prices! LOL.

I do think that they make enough on Tickets, food, etc., and the need to increase the price for strollers and such is greed!!!

The motorized ECV's went up from $35 to $45. I checked that out too since my mom needs to use one. So, for a 10 day stay it will cost her $450! Yikes! Other option of course is renting one from an outside company but then it is a hassle to get it to the parks. We usually drive to the parks but couldn't put an ECV in the car. Not sure if mom and dad will come with us this summer again though since mom needs to go in for knee surgery again.:(

Blessing and Miracle
04-05-2008, 04:11 PM
The motorized ECV's went up from $35 to $45. I checked that out too since my mom needs to use one. So, for a 10 day stay it will cost her $450! Yikes! Other option of course is renting one from an outside company but then it is a hassle to get it to the parks. We usually drive to the parks but couldn't put an ECV in the car. Not sure if mom and dad will come with us this summer again though since mom needs to go in for knee surgery again.:(

Oh my goodness, that is crazy! I wouldn't dare pay that much. I was upset for the longest about paying it for the one day I did deceided to ago ahead and do so!!

Well, I do hope everything works out for your mom! :hugs:

ligrumpygirl
04-05-2008, 10:14 PM
I brought this up in chat last night. I am so upset about this! I usually rent a double for DD6 so we can store our cooler and other junk. Now I am only to rent a single on EPCOT days. With little legs, the money will be well spent. By the time DS is old enough for these strollers, I will have to take out a loan!

chipndale
04-06-2008, 12:11 AM
I will be in the same boat as the rest of you guys. My ds will be too heavy for our umbrella stroller and not able to keep up with the rest of us all day - his poor little legs. :rotfl: I was going to rent a stroller from Disney and then dd could hop in if she was tired also. But at those prices - it is just crazy what they are charging.

mommytotwo
04-06-2008, 12:38 AM
That is alot to pay. We brought our stroller when we had gone to the parks. I didn't want to use one that many other people have used, and the prices are high.

faithhope
04-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the warning! That is quiet a shock... that is a big raise in price. My kids are too big for a normal stroller... but the disney rental sure comes in handy for getting the kids and stuff across the park in a hurry.
Guess we will either just get a single, or do without... but I'm not sure my 7 year old could last the day without it...