PDA

View Full Version : Free Dining UPDATE

m 'n c
04-10-2008, 07:14 AM
If you can't get thru via phone go online and make a new ressie! It took me about 5 minutes online because the phone circuits are all crazy at Disney right now. I'm going to cancel my first ressie this afternoon when the craziness dies down. :sunshine:

Just go to the WDW home page and scroll to the bottom right corner and click on the free dining offer with goofy's picture on it.

LuvMyBoys
04-10-2008, 09:30 AM
If you can't get thru via phone go online and make a new ressie! It took me about 5 minutes online because the phone circuits are all crazy at Disney right now. I'm going to cancel my first ressie this afternoon when the craziness dies down. :sunshine:

Just go to the WDW home page and scroll to the bottom right corner and click on the free dining offer with goofy's picture on it.

I did the same thing this morning after seeing it on the Dis, thank God!! :) The phone lines were crazy and online it took me like 7 minutes total to book the whole thing, no code need, and already got the confirmation email! :cooldance:

Hedy
04-10-2008, 09:32 AM
I did the same thing this morning after seeing it on the Dis, thank God!! :) The phone lines were crazy and online it took me like 7 minutes total to book the whole thing, no code need, and already got the confirmation email! :cooldance:

:cooldance::cooldance:

disney_girl
04-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Congrats you all!! So glad you got that booked without taking forever!!:cooldance:

LuvMyBoys
04-10-2008, 09:39 AM
:cooldance::cooldance:

You can say that again!! I have like perma-smile this morning!! :rotfl: Everyone at work just thinks I'm in a really good mood! LOL :sunshine:

JillyFish
04-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Smart thinking going online Girls!!! Glad....and a little jealous....that you are able to take advantage of Free Dining! :angel:

We want trip reports when you get back!!!!

Mom2aPrincess
04-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Congrats everyone! And a great tip, Catherine.

I'm SOOOOOOO jealous. Oh, did I mention I'm jealous? :rotfl:

Magical JenK
04-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Jealous, feeling left out, but still super happy for all of you going! It's really a great deal & just jealous because we aren't taking advantage of it this year, but I can't be sad because I'm still going this year.

But I want trip reports AND photos of food K?! :0)

Thanks & congrats again!!!
Woo hoo!

m 'n c
04-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Jealous, feeling left out, but still super happy for all of you going! It's really a great deal & just jealous because we aren't taking advantage of it this year, but I can't be sad because I'm still going this year.

But I want trip reports AND photos of food K?! :0)

Thanks & congrats again!!!
Woo hoo!

Yes I will take photos this time around of everything from counter service, to table service, to snacks! You will see everything that Mike and I consume.

coastalgirl
04-10-2008, 11:33 AM
I am so glad you ladies got it!!! Where are yall staying?
We are throwing around the idea, but I hate to take Garrett out of school for so long, and I am so selfish I don't want to go for just a few days!! :rotfl: We should have a decision made by the weekend, and then hopefully we can get what we want!!

m 'n c
04-10-2008, 11:57 AM
I am so glad you ladies got it!!! Where are yall staying?
We are throwing around the idea, but I hate to take Garrett out of school for so long, and I am so selfish I don't want to go for just a few days!! :rotfl: We should have a decision made by the weekend, and then hopefully we can get what we want!!

If you go labor day weekend its only 4 days out of school not 5. I don't think the crowds are all that bad then either.

coastalgirl
04-10-2008, 12:56 PM
If you go labor day weekend its only 4 days out of school not 5. I don't think the crowds are all that bad then either.

That is what we were thinking! It is just so hard for him if he gets behind. We were talking about checking him out on a Friday(cause then he will be counted as present) and then heading back home on a Wednesday. So then in reality he would only miss 2 days of school. I don't know what we will do. But we have to do something, the kids and I are getting the itch as we get closer to the 1 year mark since we have been!! :rotfl:

JillyFish
04-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Yes I will take photos this time around of everything from counter service, to table service, to snacks! You will see everything that Mike and I consume.

Yayyy!!! :clap:

You better get busy and buy that new camera!!!!

linanglab
04-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Add me to the jealous group! LOL I am glad you all are able to take advantage though!

I said something to DH that me and him should go. Our anniversary is Sept 5. That could be our second honeymoon! Well...sort of 1st. We really never had a honeymoon. 1 night at a hotel, and that was it.

Maybe some year....

LOTS of pictures and we will all be waiting for those reports!

m 'n c
04-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Yayyy!!! :clap:

You better get busy and buy that new camera!!!!

Yes ma'am!

LuvMyBoys
04-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Add me to the jealous group! LOL I am glad you all are able to take advantage though!

I said something to DH that me and him should go. Our anniversary is Sept 5. That could be our second honeymoon! Well...sort of 1st. We really never had a honeymoon. 1 night at a hotel, and that was it.

Maybe some year....

LOTS of pictures and we will all be waiting for those reports!

You KNOW I will be writing a trip report! :rotfl: I'm sure there will be plenty of funny/frustrating moments to share! :)

You and DH should do that for a weekend trip, if you stay at a Value resort the deal is really unbeatable. What a fun time that would be! :)

linanglab
04-10-2008, 03:05 PM
You KNOW I will be writing a trip report! :rotfl: I'm sure there will be plenty of funny/frustrating moments to share! :)

You and DH should do that for a weekend trip, if you stay at a Value resort the deal is really unbeatable. What a fun time that would be! :)

Maybe I WILL bring it up to DH again. He didn't seem against it. The money is tight....but doesn't everyone deserve a honeymoon? LOL I love that I am trying to convince myself!

I LOVED your report next time! It will definitley be a MUST read!

MooseBrains
04-10-2008, 03:20 PM
We called yesterday to modify an existing reservation. We have FD from Sept. 17-25 but really should not go! I really can't afford it and although I will have the money saved, it is suppose to go CCs. I know DR says don't go and I know it is wrong to the point it woke me up last nite. I just don't know. I will have the money but DH wants me to pay off the van. Disney or more off the principal of the van???

What would you do?

m 'n c
04-10-2008, 03:54 PM
We called yesterday to modify an existing reservation. We have FD from Sept. 17-25 but really should not go! I really can't afford it and although I will have the money saved, it is suppose to go CCs. I know DR says don't go and I know it is wrong to the point it woke me up last nite. I just don't know. I will have the money but DH wants me to pay off the van. Disney or more off the principal of the van???

What would you do?

Well I will be honest like everyone else around here has been with me. If you are truly trying to get out of debt I wouldn't go to Disney this year. Free dining has been offered at least for 3 years running and I don't see it changing in the future. It really is the only way Disney can fill up hotel rooms during hurricane season.

I don't know your job situation but I would not be carrying debt with the economy going down. I'd try to clear what I could and put away any extra $$ for a rainy day fund. I'm paying extra on my principal each month to get rid of my car payment. Its my only debt but even it drives me nuts. I don't know how I'll handle a house mortgage. As much as I wanted to upgrade to CBR this morning I didn't because I knew I didn't need to spend that extra money. Its not much but it isn't necessary to have a good time either.

So that is my 2 cents.

Hedy
04-10-2008, 04:05 PM

What would you do?

JMO, but I'd feel better going to WDW when I was debt free if I couldn't afford it.

LuvMyBoys
04-10-2008, 04:10 PM
I think if you are financially stable (job not in danger, all bills up to date, have an emergency fund, etc) then you don't need to be "debt free" to go on vacation.

Between student loans, car loans, etc. we would NEVER have a vacation if we waited until we were debt free. :)

I just make sure that we save $$ to go on vacation so it doesn't hurt our regular budget.

I know this can be a sticky subject (re the raging debates and rude comments on the Dis every time this comes up :confused:) but that's just my honest opinion.

Good luck with your decision. :)

m 'n c
04-10-2008, 04:13 PM
I think if you are financially stable (job not in danger, all bills up to date, have an emergency fund, etc) then you don't need to be "debt free" to go on vacation.

Between student loans, car loans, etc. we would NEVER have a vacation if we waited until we were debt free. :)

I just make sure that we save $$ to go on vacation so it doesn't hurt our regular budget.

This is so true. How many people are completely debt free without a car payment or mortgage - not many. So those I don't really count as bad debt. Bad debt that would keep me from Disney would be CC debt, past due bills, personal loans.

LuvMyBoys
04-10-2008, 04:18 PM
This is so true. How many people are completely debt free without a car payment or mortgage - not many. So those I don't really count as bad debt. Bad debt that would keep me from Disney would be CC debt, past due bills, personal loans.

I totally agree with that :) It's so refreshing to see moderate and sensible opinions on the subject! I've been burned by the budget board too many times to even write my opinion over there! :rotfl:

m 'n c
04-10-2008, 04:19 PM
I totally agree with that :) It's so refreshing to see moderate and sensible opinions on the subject! I've been burned by the budget board too many times to even write my opinion over there! :rotfl:

OMG they went psycho yesterday. Of course I got sucked into reading the drama but man oh man. Glad I was so not involved.

linanglab
04-10-2008, 04:27 PM
OMG they went psycho yesterday. Of course I got sucked into reading the drama but man oh man. Glad I was so not involved.

I cannot believe how mean some people can be. The first time I had my first thread over there, I asked about rooming for 5 people. I had mentioned that I did not think there were enough options, etc. Well....I was in for a ride. People can say such hurtful things and not think twice about it. I apparently (according to 1 person) did not think through my life and had too many children. LOL

I LOVE it here! It is so nice and people can agree to disagree without being nasty.

LuvMyBoys
04-10-2008, 04:33 PM
I cannot believe how mean some people can be. The first time I had my first thread over there, I asked about rooming for 5 people. I had mentioned that I did not think there were enough options, etc. Well....I was in for a ride. People can say such hurtful things and not think twice about it. I apparently (according to 1 person) did not think through my life and had too many children. LOL

I LOVE it here! It is so nice and people can agree to disagree without being nasty.

Angela didn't you know that you should base how many children you have on the room capacities at WDW??? GEESH, parenting 101 :rotfl:

Those people just kill me over there! I can't believe that just b/c you are on a forum and don't have to face the people, you can sit there and make comments on people's life choices, family sizes, whether they can "afford" children, etc. Totally unbelievable! :(

I'm so glad for SR forums too, I know we are all different here and have different life situations but at least we can respect each other and behave like adults! :)

askomsky
04-10-2008, 04:53 PM
I agree with Catherine.... Bad debt = should pay down and not go on vaca.
We have good debt, mortgage and very little left on my student loan, if we had bad debt no way we would be going.

We also make sure we save for hte kids college education which DH feels is just as important as family vaca's which is why we do big ones every 2-3 yrs.

Also Catherine I didn't want to influence your decision, but my theory was the same as Kimberly's I wouldn't have spent the extra $700 for a room that we would really only sleep/bath in. :)

MooseBrains
04-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks so much ladies for an honest opinion without being mean or judgmental. I do have everything in order. I have more than enough in the emergency fund. My CC's will be paid off before we go and I will have enough on hand to pay for the trip using cash.

However, the van still has money owed as the house. I will continue to pray about it and try to put some perspective into wanting to go to Disney now vs. 1 year when the van would be paid in full.

Urg, I love the DR plan and I hate when I can't have what I want.

Yes, I agree with everyone here. This dis can be very very nasty. I like it here much better and we can all discuss thing w/o being hurtful.

Thanks for being so nice and just telling how you feel.

MB

MooseBrains
04-10-2008, 05:14 PM

I will finished with the CC debt in 3 monts:cooldance: thanks to the DR financial peace plan. I have the emergency fund. I don't have the college fund, but DH does. I do have the van and DH has the mortgage. No changes in income. Urg, that is why it is hard. I am almost set to go...but the van....urg!

Magical JenK
04-10-2008, 05:30 PM

Ooh I avoid that area, but I may just have to head on over to see what the drama was about! :p I cannot believe they told Ang she had too many kids?! I love that people judge behind a screen name!

Gotta love it here on SR!!

I will finished with the CC debt in 3 monts:cooldance: thanks to the DR financial peace plan. I have the emergency fund. I don't have the college fund, but DH does. I do have the van and DH has the mortgage. No changes in income. Urg, that is why it is hard. I am almost set to go...but the van....urg!

What is the DR plan you are talking about?

My two cents...if you're stressing out about the van, I'd say it's not worth stressing...you should pay the van. HOWEVER, Evil Jenny (who has made many appearance lately re: Disney vacays) says...IF you can afford to pay for the Disney trip (ie not using credit cards for it or other things) AND if DH is ok w/the Disney trip then I say go. I can always justify a vacation, but if you're stressing about going now imagine how stressed you're going to be in 6 months when you still have the van balance.

Now personally, mortgage, school loans & car payments are not debt at all to me...they are life. (Of course assuming your current mortgage, school loans & car payments are not causing you stress!) Credit cards on the other hand are debt...I no longer keep a balance on them but believe me I used to have a VERY large balance & I would stress about them daily! So again, I hate to say it because it IS Disney & it IS free dining, but if you're going to be stressed or if your DH is going to stress (therefore causing fights--it would in my house anyway), it's not worth it.

Like Catherine said, this is the 4th year Free Dining has been offered. My guess they'll do it again next year (oooh & then I'LL take advantage of it!!), so you'd be good in waiting a year???

Good luck in whatever you decide!

MooseBrains
04-10-2008, 05:42 PM
You all are the best. I really don't know what we will do. I will not have the CC debt when it is time to go.

But, they do keep offering it up each year so that is nothing new. A lot of prayer and perhaps in the morning when I start my work week I will see thing in a new light.

Thanks again for just offering what you would do and being nice.

MB

m 'n c
04-10-2008, 05:53 PM
You all are the best. I really don't know what we will do. I will not have the CC debt when it is time to go.

But, they do keep offering it up each year so that is nothing new. A lot of prayer and perhaps in the morning when I start my work week I will see thing in a new light.

Thanks again for just offering what you would do and being nice.

MB

I just read another thread of yours. If its just 3 of yall why not try a value resort instead of a mod. It would be a little less money so your cash outflow wouldn't be as high due to this trip. Just food for thought.

luvdisney00
04-11-2008, 08:34 AM
I am all for saving money, and we are fortunate in that the only debt we have is the mortgage and the car loan , we save for college for our 3 girls , and we do have an emergency fund. I just think that some of the people on the budget board are over the top. I believe that you have to find a healthy balance between living for today and saving for tomorrow. There is no way to know what the future holds, and while it's great to be financially prepared for the future, none of us really knows how long we have here on this earth. Sometimes i think reading the posts over there, that a lot of those people are working themselves pretty hard to save for an uncertain tomorrow and letting today get away.

I don't have that much left on my car loan, and I could pay about 75% of it by skipping my Disney trip this year, but my daughters are getting bigger, and the time with them at this age is precious. I don't think they'll grow up and say "Mom, remember that summer we paid off the car!" They will however remember our family vacations.

We did have years when the kids were younger than we couldn't go on vacation without charging it or going into debt, and then we opted not to do it.

To the OP, I think you have the best plan, think it over PRAY about it, and come to a decision that you and your family is comfortable with. If you decide to go, don't feel guilty, just enjoy!

LuvMyBoys
04-11-2008, 09:16 AM
I am all for saving money, and we are fortunate in that the only debt we have is the mortgage and the car loan , we save for college for our 3 girls , and we do have an emergency fund. I just think that some of the people on the budget board are over the top. I believe that you have to find a healthy balance between living for today and saving for tomorrow. There is no way to know what the future holds, and while it's great to be financially prepared for the future, none of us really knows how long we have here on this earth. Sometimes i think reading the posts over there, that a lot of those people are working themselves pretty hard to save for an uncertain tomorrow and letting today get away.

I don't have that much left on my car loan, and I could pay about 75% of it by skipping my Disney trip this year, but my daughters are getting bigger, and the time with them at this age is precious. I don't think they'll grow up and say "Mom, remember that summer we paid off the car!" They will however remember our family vacations.

We did have years when the kids were younger than we couldn't go on vacation without charging it or going into debt, and then we opted not to do it.

To the OP, I think you have the best plan, think it over PRAY about it, and come to a decision that you and your family is comfortable with. If you decide to go, don't feel guilty, just enjoy!

I totally agree with your whole post, I couldn't have said it better myself! :sunshine:

Especially the parts about balancing living for today and saving for tomorrow and making it a priority to build memories with your children when you can. :)

MooseBrains
04-11-2008, 12:10 PM

OM Heck,

I am in tears! Thank you so much for putting a few things in perspective for me. Yes, I live the DR peace plan. I have done a good job, I am prepared. You are right though, time with DS while he is little is precious. I am paying cash for the trip because I have it! That alone is a first.

I am forwarding this to DH and see if he is also moved. He is the one wanting to go and it is me thinking to pay off the van instead. I am current on the van payment and even a bit ahead.

Thank you, MB

3dog2kidmom
04-11-2008, 09:33 PM

I know this can be a sticky subject (re the raging debates and rude comments on the Dis every time this comes up :confused:) but that's just my honest opinion.

Good luck with your decision. :)

I agree with you completely. Ask my friend who lost her 9-year-old son to a rare disease how she would have felt if hadn't taken him on vacation until she was debt free. :(

I have moved to a cash-only method of vacationing, and I do extra things to earn vacation money (ebay sales, SR, etc.) that I wouldn't ever do for the purpose of paying bills/eliminating debt. It feels good to come home from a vacation and know you haven't paid for it with credit. If I weren't using these extra funds for vacation, they wouldn't exist!

MooseBrains
04-15-2008, 10:57 AM
We are going! I am paying cash and will have the entire trip paid off 30 days before we arrive. I will use Disney dollars and GC for drinks, souviners for little one, appitizers if needed, incedentials. DH use frequent flyer miles for the airfare and we even have a non stop on the way there!

We plan on MNSSHP along with the FD plan. Now, how to explain to the K teacher we are taking little one out 1 month after school starts? It is the first year also? Ummm. we can search and count hidden mickey's.

I am also going to try and amp up revenue by selling things on ebay. DH has two vehicles to sell. I just have clothes, sports eqt, household things. But I agree, cash only and every little bit helps.