PDA

View Full Version : DVC Membership - when it evens out?

linanglab
04-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Okay....I keep reading the "other" board about DVC. I am so intrigued about it since I have decided to rent from someone next year. I have been trying to do my homework on it.

In the process, I keep thinking...hmmm...maybe we should look into it. Maybe not buy "new", but resale. Maybe not now....mabye later? Maybe??? Reality is that I don't have the money to do it. I don't want to finance it either.

But my question is, is it worth it? How many times do you have to go to "even out" with the buying DVC versus not? What is the breaking point? Does anyone know these answers? I am just curious. I know that there are yearly fees. How much are those? I was told they are about $900 a year. That is ALOT. Not sure with those fees that DVC would ever pay for itself - at least for us.

I am just trying to figure out a way for us to go more. Looks like we will be stuck with the every other year thing. But prices at WDW keep going up, so I keep thinking if we bought into DVC, that it would be worth it in several years when Disney hotels are getting higher and higher.

Anyway....any thoughts, remarks, knowledge that you would like to share? I guess I am in a dreaming mode....Where is that Fed Ex man with my DVC winnings? LOL

Hedy
04-11-2008, 01:46 PM
when my brother and DSIl bought last year at AKL, I think they said they figured it would be about 8 years for them-but they go every year and stay deluxe.

missymouse
04-11-2008, 03:12 PM
We figured the break even point is after our 3rd DVC vacation or 7 years of ownership. We bought at Hilton Head because DH is not a huge Amusement park fan. We figured we would use the HHI more consisitently and it is very hard to get the summer months there without the 8-11 month window. We only bought 100 points through resale. Our maintainence fees this year were about $500. There is alot that goes into it like how long you want to go, and what level you typically stay at now. If you are happy doing Value or Mod resorts it isn't as good of deal. We are not happy doing the Moderates because of having to get 2 rooms for our family of 5 and DH would not do the values at all. Also we are only planning on going every other or every 3rd year right now. That may change as the kids get older and out on their own, but we think our 100 point contract will serve us very nicely.

But hypothetically speaking say you want to go every other year to AKV (using AKV because it is the only one that will let you definitely have 5 people in a 1 bedroom) for 10 days in a 1 bedroom and you are willing to move for the weekends to a value. Which would be 8 nights DVC and 2 nights at a value

You would need to have 200 points in July to do this trip. So you could buy a 100 point contract and go every other year. That would also allow you to stay 6 DVC nights at Boardwalk, Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge, Hilton Head (S-F), 7 nights at Saratoga Springs, or 9 nights at Vero (this is assuming DVC Member services will let you book 5 in a 1-bedroom at the other resorts)

If you decided to splurge and do a 2 bedroom each trip you could use any resort as your reference so lets say SSR 8 DVC nights S-Th, Value F-S, Back to DVC M-W you would need 288 points or 144 points to go every other year, or 100 points to go every 3 years. For the sake of argument lets use the 144 point contract. You could also spend 7 nights at AKV, Boardwalk, Beach Club, or Wilderness, 8 nights at HHI, 9 nights at OKW or Vero.

OKW would be the lowest point cost, but it is also the oldest resort.

But lets look then at what it would cost to buy in

AKV current resales for 100 point contracts are listed at $93 per point or $9,300

SSR and OKW are listing at $78-$80 per point or $7,800 - $8,000

Annual fees this year for a 100 point contract would be

AKV 4.71/pt. or $471.00
SSR $4.21/pt. or $421.00
OKW $4.56 or $456.00

Annual fees can and usually do go up each year.

So say you buy 100 points at AKV resale for $9,500
Year 1 would cost you 10K
Year 2 would cost you roughly $480
Year 3 would cost you roughly $489
Year 4 would cost you roughly $496
etc.

This is a very simplistic way to look at it and the one we chose to use since it is very hard to compare apples to oranges. It only looks this good if you would actually pay the CRO fees to stay in the same accomodations. If you normally stay at Values or Moderates and would continue to do so it would take you much longer to break even but you would eventually because the average is that the rates go up 10-15% per year for the Disney resorts, and annual DVC fees average about 4-6% I think. None of these numbers are exact nor do I claim they are accurate, just me best approximations. This also in no way takes into account the weekend stay if you choose to stay over the weekend in a value or mod resort. This is only figuring for the 8 nights of DVC accomodations.

First trip July 2009 if booked through CRO with no special codes would cost for the 8 DVC nights $515/night or $4120(2008 rates) assuming rates don't go up it would take you 3 trips to recoup the initial $10K, but the CRO rates usually go up every year by at least 10% so if you figure that into the equation and annual fees.

That first trip 2009 would most likely cost $557/night or $4560 You have $10K invested so you are in the hole $5440

Year 2 of ownership you would pay $480 annual fee so now you are in the hole for $5920

Year 3 you pay $490 roughly in so you are in the hole in Jan. for $6410 take a trip to AKV now the cost is around $674/night or $5392 so after your trip you are in the hole by $528

Year 4 you pay $500 roughly in fees so you are in the hole by $1, 028

Year 5 you pay $520 roughly in fees you are now in the hole by $1,548 take your vacation and pay theoretically $816 per night or $6528 so you are out of the hole and from now on you vacation on your yearly fees.

linanglab
04-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks Pam! You are a wealth of information! I was wondering how it worked. I thought it might eventually be a good thing because of the quickly increasing rates of rooms from year to year. IMO they are getting quite pricey. I would love to own. Not sure it will ever happen, but I am at least thinking hard about it. Of course if DH said lets do it, I wouldn't argue a bit!

missymouse
04-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Something more to think about lets compare to a moderate. We will use POR Standard view just because that is where you normally stay

That first trip 2009 would most likely cost $197/night or $1576 (1 room) or $3152 (2 rooms) if you would have stayed at POR instead. You have $10K invested so you are in the hole $8424/ if you would have stayed in 1 room or $6848 if you would have stayed in 2 rooms.

Year 2 of ownership you would pay $480 annual fee so now you are in the hole for $8904 or $7338

Year 3 you pay $490 roughly in so you are in the hole in Jan. for $9394 or $ 7828 take a trip to AKV but had you not had DVC would have stayed at POR in one room the cost is around $239/night or $1912 or in 2 rooms $3824 so after your trip you are in the hole by $7482 or $3514

Year 4 you pay $515 roughly in fees so you are in the hole by $7997 or $4029 depending on if you would have been doing one or two rooms at POR

Year 5 you pay $535 roughly in fees you are now in the hole by $8532 or $4564 take your vacation and would have paid theoretically $289 per night or $2312for one room at POR or $4624 for 2 rooms. So now you would be in the hole either $6300 or you would be breaking even if you were renting 2 rooms at POR.

Year 6 you pay $562 dues so you are in the hole either $6862

Year 7 you pay $590 dues so you are in the hole either $7452 Go on a vacation to AKV for 8 nights but had you gone to POR you would have theoretically paid $350/night or $2800 for 1 room so now you are in the hole $4652.

Year 8 you would pay $620 dues you are in the hole if you would have been staying in 1 room at POR for $5272

Year 9 you would pay $651 dues so now you are in the hole $5923. Take you trip for 6-8 DVC nights at any resort but had you gone to POR you would have theoretically paid $424/night or $3392 so now you are in the hole $2531

Year 10 you would pay $684 dues so now you are in the hole $3215

Year 11 you would pay $718 dues so you are in the hole $3933 . Staying at POR for those 8 nights this year would hypothetically be $512/night or $4096 so that would be your break even year. Now it is just the cost of annual fees.

SunshineGirl
04-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Something else to think about is that you save money on other things as well. For example, in Hilton Head this week we saved 10% on almost all of our meals plus our Dolphin tour. That was probably another $100 on this trip alone that we saved.

I have to say that after being at DVC this past week, I am convinced that I need to save my pennies to buy even MORE points!!

disney_girl
04-12-2008, 10:18 AM
To go off of what Tricia mentioned... there are additional "perks" for DVC members. I just ordered Pirate and Princess Party tickets for our upcoming trip and with the DVC discount, they were $10 off each ticket! There are also discounts at some of the dining places as well as other perks.

For us, we have always stayed Deluxe (DH can thank himself for that for taking me to the Grand Floridian on our first trip :rotfl:) and go at least twice a year so DVC is the way to go for us!

I'm with you Tricia... trying to save my pennies to buy MORE DVC points!

linanglab
04-12-2008, 10:59 AM
I really wish that I had the money to pay for DVC outright. We would do it now if we had the money in our banking account. But it would not be worth it to finance it.....I am going to have to start saving....hard!

disney_girl
04-12-2008, 11:09 AM
I completely understand! While it is a purchase I have never regretted, it's not a small expense! You can at least do a tour and get information on your next trip.

~Kathie
04-12-2008, 05:38 PM
I completely understand! While it is a purchase I have never regretted, it's not a small expense! You can at least do a tour and get information on your next trip.

That's a great idea. At least you can talk to them and see what financing they offer. There is no hard sell either. When we took the tour, we came home and talked about it before we called our guide to tell him we decided to do it.

We bought in 1993. In 1992 & 1992 we had taken trips to WDW and stayed offsite. Those trips with airfare cost us $5000 each. No Southwest then. :(

One of our perks for buying in 1993 was free park passes until 1999. They were good for ½ the amount of total people in the room or the people in the room, which ever was less. We used to go with the 2 kids, get a 2 bedroom (sleeps 8) and get passes for all of us (4) for the amount of time we were there....free. Those were parkhopper passes too......and after 1998 AK was added and we could go there too.

We financed through Disney.

Good luck with your decision. It's good you are doing your homework.

Having the DVC allowed us to go to WDW every year and sometimes twice a year while the kids were in school........and not break us. Now the kids have moved out.....and DH and I go several times a year. We don't need as big a room so our points go further. :rotfl:

Another perk is $100 discount on an Annual Pass.

ligrumpygirl
04-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Of course if you get the AP with the DVC discount, you can get the DDE card which is worth 20% off ALL meals! It costs about $60 but it pays for itself in one trip for us.

disney_girl
04-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Not sure how I forgot to mention the $100 off Annual Passes since I'm about to buy 3 of them :rotfl:.
And there is the Disney Dining Experience card that you buy for $60 that gives you a 20% discount off most meals. We used this at Chef Mickey's which was great! We bought the card last September and it expires I think in November of this year. So, we'll be able to use it on 3 separate trips so definitely pays for itself!

We bought in 2004 before we had our first child. We paid cash for part and financed part through Disney. So far we have used our points at WDW (Saratoga Springs) and DL (Grand Californian). I want to try some other DVC resorts- Hilton Head and especially Hawaii when that is completed!

coastalgirl
04-12-2008, 10:06 PM
I have to say, we did the tour-I then came home with the book, read it, called back and talked to someone,not once but twice and y'all made more sense about it than I have ever heard. Thank You! I like the extra's mentioned and I really like the way y'all explained the way and when it evens out. It sure does make a lot more sense now!!!

Weluvdisny
05-12-2008, 11:39 PM
We have taken the plunge and have 2 offers pending on BW resales. They are both small contracts (80 and 50) so we are just waiting for either seller to get back to us so we can make a decision between the two. Hopefully I'll know something tomorrow.

I'm so anxious!!. I had a chance on a similar deal last week but someone beat me to the offer by 10 minutes!!!:(

linanglab
05-13-2008, 05:56 AM
We have taken the plunge and have 2 offers pending on BW resales. They are both small contracts (80 and 50) so we are just waiting for either seller to get back to us so we can make a decision between the two. Hopefully I'll know something tomorrow.

I'm so anxious!!. I had a chance on a similar deal last week but someone beat me to the offer by 10 minutes!!!:(

Oh congrats! Let us know what happens! That is SOOO exciting!

pbhall13
05-13-2008, 07:49 AM

If you don't mind me asking who did you dot he resale with? I am thinking of going that route so I would love to know who you used.

Thanks, pamela

disney_girl
05-13-2008, 08:29 AM

How exciting!! Hope it all works out for you!!
We just got back late Saturday night and I'm already planning our trip for the fall- I :heart: my DVC!!! They have a "Members Welcome Home" meeting every Wednesday on the Boardwalk... we went last Wednesday and I actually won some stuff- it was neat!!

Good luck on your resale!!

Weluvdisny
05-13-2008, 10:09 AM
If you don't mind me asking who did you dot he resale with? I am thinking of going that route so I would love to know who you used.

Pamela,

I went with International GMAC Real Estate. They had quite a few listings. I tried the Timeshare Store but they didn't have anything available. I was e-mailing them with an offer on a 50 point at BW and someone beat me to it by 10 minutes. :( I've been speaking with Carolyn at GMAC and she has been great!! She is going to call the seller after 10:00 this morning so hopefully I'll know soon. I'm sooooo nervous and excited!!:sunshine2::confused::cooldance:

disney_girl
05-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Pamela,

I went with International GMAC Real Estate. They had quite a few listings. I tried the Timeshare Store but they didn't have anything available. I was e-mailing them with an offer on a 50 point at BW and someone beat me to it by 10 minutes. :( I've been speaking with Carolyn at GMAC and she has been great!! She is going to call the seller after 10:00 this morning so hopefully I'll know soon. I'm sooooo nervous and excited!!:sunshine2::confused::cooldance:

Sending you some pixie dust!!!

Weluvdisny
05-13-2008, 11:25 AM
We got it!! They accepted our offer! OMG!!:sunshine::sunshine:

We are renting points to go in November. Now we don't have to rent as much and be able to use that $ toward our DVC! Hopefully the ROFR will go smoothly and we will be ready to roll!

Thanks for the pixie dust everyone. It worked!!:hugs:

disney_girl
05-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Congrats!!!!!!!!!! That's awesome! Sending more pixie dust for a smooth transaction!!

Hedy
05-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Congrats! :sunshine2::sunshine2:

Debbie Jean
05-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Congratulations! :woohoo:

Good luck with ROFR... pixie dust and fingers crossed for you! :wizard:

Weluvdisny
05-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks everyone! I can't believe we did it.

:mickey: Now it's your turn Angela!! :minnie:

ligrumpygirl
05-13-2008, 05:13 PM
YEAH!!! Congrats to you! It was the best thing we ever bought (without SR credit at least!)

One thing I should have mentioned before...it is a downside...but is also good. ADD-ON-ITIS! Once you go there and see how much you love it, you will want to add on more and more! I have already done it twice and we have lots of points now!

Hedy
05-13-2008, 05:29 PM
YEAH!!! Congrats to you! It was the best thing we ever bought (without SR credit at least!)

One thing I should have mentioned before...it is a downside...but is also good. ADD-ON-ITIS! Once you go there and see how much you love it, you will want to add on more and more! I have already done it twice and we have lots of points now!

YoungestBrother and DSIl bought once AKV was announced last year...3 guesses what DSIL got for her birthday this April...:rotfl::rotfl:

disney_girl
05-13-2008, 06:05 PM

Oh yes... very true!! I am itching for an add on!!! As the kids get older, we'll want bigger accomodations so I've been hinting about getting an add on! He's closer to agreeing (probably just to shut me up :rotfl:)!!

I think we mentioned it before, but some of the perks we just used on our trip last week were.... $100 off the price of an Annual Pass! We also got the DVC discount on the Princess and Pirate Party tickets- $10 off of each ticket!! Then having the AP gives you 10% off at World of Disney :heart:. There are also some dining discounts and we bought the Disney Dining Experience card which gives you 20% off at a lot of places- including SSR Artist's Palatte! LOVE the DVC Perks!!

Weluvdisny
05-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Does it count as an add-on when I was supposed to only buy 50 points but I talked my DH into 80? :rotfl:

linanglab
05-15-2008, 06:12 AM
Does it count as an add-on when I was supposed to only buy 50 points but I talked my DH into 80? :rotfl:

Just tell him you will buy the 50 points NEXT time! I mean...it would only be fair to let him has his 50 points! LOL

My turn? Well....not sure that will happen for a LONG time. Finances stink right now....but someday. That is what DH keeps telling me....someday. I wish that someday would hurry up and get here!

pbhall13
05-15-2008, 08:02 AM
I agree with how Angela put it.......the next time you will add HIS 50 points!!!!

disney_girl
05-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Just tell him you will buy the 50 points NEXT time! I mean...it would only be fair to let him has his 50 points! LOL

My turn? Well....not sure that will happen for a LONG time. Finances stink right now....but someday. That is what DH keeps telling me....someday. I wish that someday would hurry up and get here!

Angela, I am curious to see how your DH feels about DVC after you all rent points. Might be a turning point....:)

linanglab
05-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Angela, I am curious to see how your DH feels about DVC after you all rent points. Might be a turning point....:)

Yeah....it will be VERY interesting! I am VERY excited about renting points! However, we may have a slight change of plans. My mom and dad are thinking about going with us....at least for part of the trip. So we are thinking about renting points when mom and dad are NOT there, and then getting 2 value rooms with mom and dad and "give" them one of my kids. That would even save us more. Like I said....they are talking about going with us NOW, but NOW is a long time from next year. My parents are going with my sister this year and I think are feeling guilty about not going with us (we have asked them to go with us the last 3 times and they said no). I am obviously not the favorite! LOL

disney_girl
05-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Well, maybe you can at least use it to your advantage and get to experience two different resorts on that trip! I would definitely do the 2 values if that will save you some money. And then you could try out a DVC resort through renting for the end of the trip! Like they say...no matter what it's Disney so it's all good!

Anna
07-17-2008, 04:12 AM
Not sure how I forgot to mention the $100 off Annual Passes since I'm about to buy 3 of them :rotfl:.
And there is the Disney Dining Experience card that you buy for $60 that gives you a 20% discount off most meals. We used this at Chef Mickey's which was great! We bought the card last September and it expires I think in November of this year. So, we'll be able to use it on 3 separate trips so definitely pays for itself!

We bought in 2004 before we had our first child. We paid cash for part and financed part through Disney. So far we have used our points at WDW (Saratoga Springs) and DL (Grand Californian). I want to try some other DVC resorts- Hilton Head and especially Hawaii when that is completed!

Do you think the Disney Dining Experience is still a good deal now that they add 18% gratuity no matter your party size? Doesn't that kind of cancel out the 20% off? Just curious....:confused:

ligrumpygirl
07-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Do you think the Disney Dining Experience is still a good deal now that they add 18% gratuity no matter your party size? Doesn't that kind of cancel out the 20% off? Just curious....:confused:

You would have to give a tip of some kind so the 20% off equals the tip basically. The only place I don't like the 18% added on are the buffets because I don't usually tip the full 18% there (I usually do $2 a person at buffets). Turns out though at CP this year my 18% equaled my $2 a person rule so it was ok. I believe you can change the 18% if you wanted to. I have added additional on for excellent service.

Anna
07-19-2008, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the info....I need all the help I can get since we are brand new DVC members. We are so excited, but it is a bit overwhelming trying to learn everything.:blush:

disney_girl
07-19-2008, 08:15 AM
I agree with Janet... it basically pays for the tip- which is still good IMO! We bought our current card last September and after our next trip, we will have used it for 3 trips- definitely worth it! We stay at Saratoga Springs and use ours at Artist's Palette daily which saves $$.

Anna
07-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Yay!! :banana:I am so excited...we booked our very first DVC stay for September at the Hilton Head resort. Any tips or suggestions for our stay here? Anyone have any reviews?

How about the food / restaurants? Activities? I am just full of questions! LOL:D

disney_girl
07-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Yay!! :banana:I am so excited...we booked our very first DVC stay for September at the Hilton Head resort. Any tips or suggestions for our stay here? Anyone have any reviews?

How about the food / restaurants? Activities? I am just full of questions! LOL:D

I know that Tricia and MissAngie recently stayed there. You might want to search ffor Tricia's trip report!