PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else over pack?

Magical JenK
04-13-2008, 11:36 PM
My flight Wednedsay morning is super early, I have class until 10pm Tuesday night, DH is still needing lots of help/attention so I knew I needed to pack as much as I could this weekend.

So I pack, and pack, and pack, and pack....:rotfl: My theory is I "may" need it . Call it my pack rat mentality spilling over into real packing, but what if I get there & don't have that green sleeveless shirt?? I'd be so bummed. Also, what if all I pack is sleeveless & it's not warm enough? What if I need pants...what if I really wanted those white ones? Or the pink ones? Or the camo ones? And all I brought was the dang jean ones??

So basically I have packed 5 tank tops, 5 sleeveless tees, 5 tees, 3 shorts, 5 pants, 2 work out outfits, 1 swimsuit, 2 pairs of flip flops, 1 pair of tennis shoes, 1 hoodie..... :p

I feel like I'm packing the same amount of clothes for 5 day as I do for 10! Anyone else have this issue or are all the rest of you responsible packers?:mickey::minnie:

Pooh's Pal
04-13-2008, 11:44 PM
You know you will never wear all that.....but I do the same thing...pack and repack right up till the night before we leave. And when I'm down there, I never wear 1/2 of it. :rotfl:

Dang, I try every time to pack less and less, but it never works. I once had an old Irish friend of mine and her mom told me to roll everything when you are packing to come home, you get more in the suitcase that way....ever since then, I do it and have room to bring stuff home.

HAVE A MAGICAL TRIP JEN :tinkerbell:

Magical JenK
04-13-2008, 11:47 PM
You know you will never wear all that.....but I do the same thing...pack and repack right up till the night before we leave. And when I'm down there, I never wear 1/2 of it. :rotfl:

Dang, I try every time to pack less and less, but it never works. I once had an old Irish friend of mine and her mom told me to roll everything when you are packing to come home, you get more in the suitcase that way....ever since then, I do it and have room to bring stuff home.

HAVE A MAGICAL TRIP JEN :tinkerbell:

Deb! It's so true! I usually end up w/one favorite outfit that I wear over & over & over again...but you just never know!! I do roll most of my items...but that just allows me to over pack even more!! :rotfl:

ligrumpygirl
04-13-2008, 11:48 PM
I ALWAYS overpack. With DVC I have a washing machine so I try to take half of what I need...but no...I still have too much. So far, for 7 days I have 9 tshirts and I am not even finished yet!

m 'n c
04-13-2008, 11:50 PM
You know what's worse? Wearing everything you pack even when you overpack. Yes I am that person who goes to the parks, goes back to the room to "freshen up" and change my clothes completely. I wore it all last time even the stuff I bought while there. Absolutely riduculous! Don't be me!

Magical JenK
04-14-2008, 12:01 AM
You know what's worse? Wearing everything you pack even when you overpack. Yes I am that person who goes to the parks, goes back to the room to "freshen up" and change my clothes completely. I wore it all last time even the stuff I bought while there. Absolutely riduculous! Don't be me!

Oh but I do that same thing yet I can never get through all my clothes! Too funny!

I'm glad I'm not alone!! Thanks ladies!!

faithhope
04-14-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm an overpacker too... never know what you might need... and even then I usually wash my clothes mid trip....

Make sure to weigh your suitcases... the rolling of the clothes trick is great for getting more into the suitcase... but this has caused me to come very close to the weight limit..

Have a great trip!!!

m 'n c
04-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Oh but I do that same thing yet I can never get through all my clothes! Too funny!

I'm glad I'm not alone!! Thanks ladies!!

I somehow manage to do it! Beach trips are even worse. I must learn to pack lightly. I will practice for the September trip. Good luckl narrowing it down.

linanglab
04-14-2008, 06:11 AM
VERY much so an over packer! Not only with clothes, but I have to bring all my cute flip flops! The red ones that go with the red shirt, the red/white and blue ones to go with my patriotic shirt, the teal ones to go with my teal shirt, and so on and so on. Yeah.....the white flips would go with all, but they aren't as fun. NEXT year I am planning on behaving and NOT over packing....I will let you know how that goes! LOL

pbhall13
04-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Jen

You certainly aren't alone....wait until you also have to pack for kids....that is where I really overpack.........the girls have such cute clothes that I don't know where to draw the line! It is a problem I know!

Janet...I love having the washing machines while staying at DVC. That is what makes me feel better about overpacking.......at least the majority of it is clean before I get home (in my mind less laundry to do at home = it is okay to overpack....hey it works in my mind)

Since it is just you Jen.....overpack........because some day you may end up not even paying too much attention to what you pack because you become so concerned with what you have to pack for everyone else (okay maybe that is just me!)

Pamela

mia214jia
04-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Hello ... my name is Michelle and I am a overpacker. I have tried to stop but I cant stop when I get started. It comes out of me. More and More!
" Confessions of an Overpacker!" :rotfl:

Mom2aPrincess
04-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Oh yes. I must join in. I'm an overpacker too and now I'm really upset to hear that AirTran says I can only have one checked bag per person for our August trip!! That's almost frightening for me. I barely get everything in 2 checked bags each and carryons that push the limit too. I'm already starting a what can I just mail down there list. :rotfl:

nolacindy
04-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Ohh I love to overpack! Its always the what if I really need this and this and this...... but inverably I will forget something that is really needed, like black dress pants on the last trip and had to go buy a new pair, I know having to go shopping is such a tragidy:rotfl:. My thought is I would rather pack it along then get down there and regret not taking it.

~Kathie
04-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Count me in. My problem is .............
SHOES!!! :rotfl:

I have to take a pair to match every outfit. Sick!

Jen.....check the weather. My sister said that the forecast for Vero Beach is in the 50's after dark. 70's during the day. Much warmer than here.....but not tank top weather.

disney_girl
04-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Yes, I overpack! I'm really trying to get a grip on it- especially with another little one! I agree with Pamela though- do it now if you are going to Jen. Once you have to start worrying about everyone else's clothes it gets crazy and you sometimes forget your own!:rotfl:

Kimberly- thanks for pointing about about Airtran!:( Our May trip will just be under the wire by about 5 days! I'm dreading packing for our October trip since we are doing a few days at WDW plus the cruise- I always seem to pack too much for the cruise. Partly because there are dressier clothes you wouldn't wear to WDW. UGH.......

lmroyea
04-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Count me in. My problem is .............
SHOES!!! :rotfl:

I have to take a pair to match every outfit. Sick!

That's my problem too. And it's even worse than overpacking clothes because the shoes weigh more!

Magical JenK
04-14-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm so glad I'm NOT alone! Usually I DO pack 10 pairs of shoes...end up wearing flip flops everywhere except to Cali Grill. Since we're not going to CG, I'm being good w/my brown flip flops and the pink ones...ooh but what if I'm wearing black or red...dang, I guess I need to add the black ones...

As for the weather...it's 70s Wed & Thurs & mid 80s the rest of the weekened....I'm all about the color I can get, hence the tank tops. So anything I can do to get more color I will! Ha!

Kim good point...maybe subconsciously I'm rebelling against the one checked bag rule!? I can, technically, bring two bags this time, but instead I just grabbed the biggest bag & have packed it full! :0) Well, not full...I will be purchasing items too!!

Blessing and Miracle
04-14-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm definitely an overpacker! And I overpack for everyone in the house!!! DH always shakes his head because he says we never wear all of that stuff. I do it because you just never know! It's 8 of us, so we really have a ton of stuff! Most of it comes back with price tags still on it, but that's okay. Oh, I buy new vacation clothes as well. When you're scrapping your pictures you don't want them all to look the same! :)

You're gonna have so much fun, I wish I could go!

m4travels
04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Well, Dude says it's definitely NOT just a "woman's" thing. We can be going overnight to DL and I'll pack 3, sometimes 4 outfits. Who knows what I'll spill on myself at any time!!

ligrumpygirl
04-14-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm so glad I'm NOT alone! Usually I DO pack 10 pairs of shoes...end up wearing flip flops everywhere except to Cali Grill. Since we're not going to CG, I'm being good w/my brown flip flops and the pink ones...ooh but what if I'm wearing black or red...dang, I guess I need to add the black ones...!!

OK that's it...I am checking your shoes and outfit out on Saturday. If the shoes don't match, I WILL be posting on here!! Stay tuned to the great mini-SR meet report for a report on Jen's outfit!

arob414
04-14-2008, 06:57 PM
You would be asking that of someone (pre-mom days) who used to pack 3 pieces of luggage for a 2 night stay...at the Opry Hotel...I only live 30 minutes away. The same person who packed 7 prs of heels, of varying colors and heights, because I couldn't decide what I wanted to wear. Becoming a mom has forced me to pack less...for me. Baby stuff took up all the room. First trip home, with new baby, I had my Camry totally loaded with "stuff" for the baby. As they have gotten older, thankfully, we have less stuff to carry.

We go to Disney, next month. We will be there 10 days. I am "saying" we will take 5 outfits, each, and wash. Reality is I will probably pack way too much stuff, as usual, because you never know. But, then where will we put our new "stuff"? :rotfl: I plan on taking 6 pieces of luggage and 3 carryons, when we go. We are entitled to that, right? That way I really hope we have room for more "stuff". I am a shopaholics and I am raising 2 more. :rotfl:

Magical JenK
04-14-2008, 09:20 PM
OK that's it...I am checking your shoes and outfit out on Saturday. If the shoes don't match, I WILL be posting on here!! Stay tuned to the great mini-SR meet report for a report on Jen's outfit!

Ah man...now that's PRESSURE...I'll be sure to wear something really good...and matchy! :p

MooseBrains
04-15-2008, 10:50 AM
We have evolved. I used a packing list the second time I went and I brought everything but the kitchen sink. It really was stupid. First aid at all parks will provide you with a bandaide, tylenol, sunscreen, etc. Yes, I bring my own sunscreen but if I forget while in the park we are ok.

I do bring sample packs of laundry detergent, and I do laundry so I don't have to pack so many clothes. We have our favorites while at Disney.

When we rent DVC points, I pack a box and a cooler of food. I am much better now at packing lighter.

But there is still the ponchos, glow in the dark braclets, and tons of crap we really don't need.

eaglesdare
04-15-2008, 04:33 PM
overpacker here also!
even on our 2 day camping trips, i pack like i am staying at a hotel for 5 days.

i am not fashionable, but the trip we took in april i did bring way too many flip flops and sandals. unfortunatley the one pair i should have brought was my hiking boots.
this trip i am bringing them, and 1 (yes i said one, 1) pair of flip flops and 1 pair of sneakers.

i must get my luggage out and start preparing. i am 2 months away today from arrival day. i must start so i know what i will be buying down there. this past december i bought a couple tee's and never got the chance to wear them. now to try to find them and throw in the suitcase.

i am going to try very hard to pack a little bit light this time.

i even pack an iron, yup i know they have them in the rooms, but you never know. and i wonder why i bring it, as i have never ironed once on a trip to disney. i also pack a blow dryer, again why? as i never use one there either. i wash, and flip and put up in a scrunchy and off we go.

sad, very very sad.

kerry34
04-15-2008, 04:37 PM
We are heading out for Disney this thursday night (driving) and I am just about done packing. I can say for the first time ever that I am very proud of myself, I have not overpacked. We are renting a house with a washer and dryer and figured this time, we will just wash the clothes when we need them. We each have enough outfits for four days, plus sweatshirts, pjs, and 1 pair of jeans just in case. Our bags are not stuffed to the brim this time. Last year when we went, we didnt wear half of what we packed, so I swore this time I was going to cut back!!!

By the way Jen....have a really great trip and if I should see you by any chance, I will come and introduce myself in person!!!!!