PDA

View Full Version : Re: Disney Gift Cards -- How Far In Advance ....

amykmi
06-11-2007, 07:32 PM
... of your trip are you getting them?

I've been pretty much planning on cashing out for Paypal since our next planned trip isn't for over two years (snif!), but I'm sort of thinking maybe I should start saving up gift cards for that trip. I know that currently the cards don't have any kind of inactivity fees like some gift cards do, but I'm wondering if I'd be taking too much of a chance by getting them this far in advance.

Any thoughts?

TIA!! :)

jnorth1007
06-11-2007, 07:38 PM
My thoughts are that I would leave the balance where it is until there is a special cashout offer where you can get them for cheaper than face value and then I would cash out for the largest card you can. I think it may be 100.00 increments but still it will be fewer cards to hold on to. They don't expire or charge a use fee. Store them somewhere safe and you will be making even more money. I know last time you could get a 100 GC for 95. Thats 5 free dollars. I think it was even much better if you cashed out for 200. I know that if I were to take the cash I would end up tapping into it when an emergency or something came up. Only you really know what is best for your family but the special cash outs are a good way to stretch your SR dollars. HTH! :sunshine2:

amykmi
06-12-2007, 09:43 AM
That's a good idea. I think I'm just too impatient to let the money pile up like that, LOL!! I may have to give it a try, though -- thanks for the suggestion! :)

jnorth1007
06-12-2007, 10:02 AM
You shouldn't have to wait long. There is supposed to be another special cashout at the end of July so by that time you should be able to build up enough to do a nice cashout.

plantlady
06-13-2007, 05:54 PM
I was just coming to ask the same thing!

We're going to Disneyland in July 2008.. I was wondering if GC's expired, ect.

That will be *perfect*.

As soon as we get home from this years vacation (yellowstone), I will just let the money pile up until a special cash out. That is so exciting to think about!
:mickey:

OregonGirlie
06-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Ooh Plantlady - how long are you going to Yellowstone for? What all are you planning to do there, where are you staying, etc? :)

My DH really wants to take the family there, but I don't know anyone who has gone there, and I have no idea what to see/do there.

Any tips? :)

m 'n c
06-13-2007, 11:32 PM
I have a trip for '08 planned and I started cashing out for disney gc's now with the promos going on. I figure as long as I keep them with my usual stash I won't lose them and I won't spend them either.

Trisha818
06-14-2007, 12:22 PM
I used to cash out for SM priced gc's but now I'm waiting for special cash outs. I have a file folder in my storage box that I use especially for the Disney GC's. I put them all in one place, and I use a permanent sharpie to write the amount each one is worth on the back of the card in case they get seperated from the paper.

plantlady
06-14-2007, 01:01 PM
Ooh Plantlady - how long are you going to Yellowstone for? What all are you planning to do there, where are you staying, etc? :)

My DH really wants to take the family there, but I don't know anyone who has gone there, and I have no idea what to see/do there.

Any tips? :)

Well, I will be able to give a better report once we get back. I am in charge of Disney planning, my DH is in charge of Yellowstone planning.

Our entire vacation will be 16 days long, 5 of that is in Yellowstone. We are staying in the Old Faithful Lodge, which is right there, next to Old Faithful. We have had our reservations for over a year. There were only 3 rooms left when we got it. We're also staying one night in Roosevelt Lodge, because they have a stagecoach dinner ride. You get to ride an old stagecoach for an hour, then be entertained and have *real* cowboys cook you an old fashioned kind of dinner. But, you have to stay in that hotel to get that.

We've been "training", so that the kids can handle a 5 mile hike, without tiring. From what I've read, if you go five minutes away from the main hub of old faithful, you will get away from the people, and see wonderful things.

That's all of the specifics I've been told. We're also going to the grand canyon, arches, bryce canyon, black canyon of the gunnison, capital reef, wind cave, the grand tetons, monument valley, and zion, just to name a few.

It should be quite different from the disney trip we took last year, and the disney trip we're planning for next year. :)