PDA

View Full Version : Custom Ears

Mom2aPrincess
04-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Just wrote about this on my blog, but thought I'd share the entire article here:

Dewayne Bevil | Sentinel Staff Writer
April 24, 2008

Hot pink is the new black at Disney World.

But so are purple, shiny gold and glow-in-the-dark green.

Magic Kingdom guests now can create their own variations of Disney's signature ear hats, even if that means choosing fuzzy trim or bejeweled ears that (gasp!) don't match. The Chapeau, a store near the entrance of the theme park, started offering options in the classic Mouse headwear last month, and it's the only place in the world where they are available.

"It's all about allowing the guest to customize," said Dara Trujillo, Disney's manager of merchandise franchise and synergy. "They can literally walk out of there and go 'I'm the only one who has this hat.' "

The concept is Build-A-Bear meets Project Runway. Customers choose one of 19 bases to build upon, then add from 19 sets of ears. For further personalization, there are dozens of stickers representing princesses, pirates and other Disney icons that can be permanently attached to the base.

Seven-year-old Allison Chadwick of Northfield Falls, Vt., was pleased with her picks for her very first set of ears.

"Purple is my favorite color, and I like flowers," she said while on vacation with her parents, Krista and Jeff Chadwick. "I put my favorite character on the hat, Ariel." She also had her name embroidered across the back.

Stickers for modern phenomena High School Musical and Hannah Montana, as well as ones for special occasions such as holidays, honeymoons or birthdays, also are available.

Disney workers seal the stickers into place with a heat-press device. The ears are snap-on -- allowing additional options for indecisive buyers. Ear styles include faux leopard fur, fireworks and holographic-style poses of Mickey Mouse.

"If a guest says, 'I can't really decide between pink or purple,' they can actually buy both sets and change their hat every single day," Trujillo said.

Owners receive their creations within minutes of paying.

Bases cost $4.95 or $5.95, ears run $2.50 and $3.50 apiece, and stickers are $2.95 a pop. The embroidered-name option is $3. The traditional basic-black ear hat remains available for $9.95.

A similar souvenir outlet is expected to open in May at Disneyland in California with more to follow in Central Florida within a year.

Source:- Orlando Sentinel (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/orl-ears2408apr24,0,1708353.story)

Hedy
04-24-2008, 04:40 PM
those sound like so much fun! I may get one in August.

m 'n c
04-24-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm super excited. Someone on the Dis has a picture of their daughter as their avatar and I think she is wearing customized ears (lots of stickers). I think she said when it was all said and done it was about $25 (and 1/2 an hour to design them) for those ears but well worth it.

Magical JenK
04-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Went to the shop on Sunday & was really tempted to make my own...but decided against it. They are VERY cute & super fun designs! There is a purple beanie that has Mickey Heads stitched in...sooooo cute. Very fun idea!!

zoodoyle
04-24-2008, 08:38 PM
I think we'll definitely have to plan in some time for this!! Sounds like the kids will love it!! :sunshine:

ligrumpygirl
04-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Just got back...DD did this. NOT CHEAP but cute. I will find the receipt that I saved and report back.

chipndale
04-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Sounds like another thing my DD will add to her to do list!

ligrumpygirl
04-30-2008, 06:09 PM
I can't remember where I put the receipts right now but I think this is the breakdown of the ears we got:

5.95 hat
3.95x2 ears
2.95x3 patches

=$19? I thought it was more than that but I will look for the receipt later.