PDA

View Full Version : Need Help From December Disney Veterans!

iluvamystery89
04-25-2008, 10:25 AM
my DH has his heart SET on going to WDW in december, 2009, specifically the week before Christmas (even though i told him it would be impossible since DD will be in middle school and doing finals that week) so he has asked me to plan our trip both ways. meaning, a spring break 2009 (april 13-17, yep, the week following easter sunday) trip and a week before Christmas 2009 trip. i need HELP! anything any of you can tell me about the week before Christmas will be of immeasurable value! any tips, suggestions, strategies, previous experiences-the good, the bad, anything. this man is impossible! :rotfl: TIA! :sunshine2:

jl8595
04-25-2008, 01:14 PM
We went in mid December back in 2005 (I think it was 12/9-12/16 or something like that, so ALMOST the week before Christmas). It was wonderful!! The weather was almost a little too cool for me though (my DH was in hog heaven, but then again he'll go out in the snow with bare feet to grab the mail. :eek:). But Florida weather in December is unpredictable at best. It was mid 50's during the day and 30's in the evening/night. Still warmer than CT in December though! But it can also be in the 80's in December, so I guess it's luck of the draw. We did sneak a swim in because the pools are heated (and because my DD was desperate to try out the slide), but it was HARD getting out of the water! LOL! As for crowds...none. Very quiet and enjoyable. I'd go in December again in a heartbeat. And the decorations were wonderful. We stayed at the Grand Floridian and enjoyed passing the life size gingerbread house...yum...!

Good luck with your decision!! :sunshine:

PSL1013
04-25-2008, 01:50 PM
We went the second week in December 2006 and we about froze our butts off! :rotfl: But I went a few Decembers before this and wore shorts everyday, so you can never tell what kind of weather you will get. You have to pack a bit of everything. I ended up buying a sweatshirt and ended up wearing it most of the time, especially at night. The first two weeks will be the quietest crowd wise and then each week thereafter will increase in numbers, although I have no experience because I've never been right before Christmas. You must do the Yule Tide Fantasy Tour if you can, the only time all year they offer this and it is great. The decorations are great all around the parks but you have to visit the Deluxe Hotels because they have the most unique and fabulous displays you can't even imagine, all made out of Chocolate, which they hide hidden Mickey's throughout that you have to search for. There is an actual full size Gingerbread House at the Grand Floridian....where you must purchase a gingerbread boy/girl, delicious. I love going in December, I think it is one of my favorite times to go, other than the Food & Wine Festival. Good Luck!

iluvamystery89
04-25-2008, 05:37 PM
thank you both! i'm SO hoping i can pull this off!

Mom2aPrincess
04-25-2008, 11:31 PM
We went the 19th - 30 this this year. Christmas is great. We left the day we got out of school so no missed finals. If I had to choose between Christmas and Spring Break I'd choose Christmas.

disney_girl
04-25-2008, 11:44 PM
We went about the end of the second week of December in 2004 and loved it. It was cold at night- but not too bad. The crowds were low and the decorations are awesome!!! We had an infant at the time and went around to all of the resorts and parks to see the decorations and loved it! The Christmas party at MK was also great! If I had to choose between Spring Break and Christmas, I think I would choose Christmas.

iluvamystery89
04-26-2008, 09:50 AM
thank you all so much! we've only been to wdw in september, so i have NO idea what i'm doing, lol. spring break would be less stressful b/c i wouldn't have to worry about dealing w/ DD's teachers regarding the finals, but my DH works SO hard so i don't have to, i'd really loooove to make his wish come true.

Magical JenK
04-26-2008, 12:54 PM
We went in mid December back in 2005 (I think it was 12/9-12/16 or something like that, so ALMOST the week before Christmas). It was wonderful!! The weather was almost a little too cool for me though (my DH was in hog heaven, but then again he'll go out in the snow with bare feet to grab the mail. :eek:). But Florida weather in December is unpredictable at best. It was mid 50's during the day and 30's in the evening/night. Still warmer than CT in December though! But it can also be in the 80's in December, so I guess it's luck of the draw. We did sneak a swim in because the pools are heated (and because my DD was desperate to try out the slide), but it was HARD getting out of the water! LOL! As for crowds...none. Very quiet and enjoyable. I'd go in December again in a heartbeat. And the decorations were wonderful. We stayed at the Grand Floridian and enjoyed passing the life size gingerbread house...yum...!

Good luck with your decision!! :sunshine:

Thanks for posting this! This year we're going 12/8-12/18 & normally we go in September right after Labor Day & I LOVE the weather then & the crowds are low too! So while the weather could be unpredictable sounds like the crowds will still be low! YAY!

I'm very excited to go in December for the decorations! Almost time to make the ADRs...ok, it's not almost time...but getting closer!!:rotfl: