PDA

View Full Version : I just gotta ask about Disboards...

fourfoxesinpa
04-30-2008, 07:11 PM
OK, so lots of newbies over here say they found out about SR at disboards. I can't figure out how when disboards doesn't let you have a link or promote other websites. How can I work on my referrals over there and not break any rules?

disney_girl
04-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Well, you can PROMOTE SR on the DISboards. But, sadly, you cannot get referrals from there. You can post the main website, but not your referral link. I'm assuming quite a few that are coming from the DIS are not using any type of referral link- just going straight to the SR website. I really don't think there is anyway around this with the DIS.

Although you can't get referrals from there, it obviously DOES help SR when we post on the DIS about special promotions or just SR in general. I continue to post things over there to help SR...which in turn helps us all!:sunshine:

SunshineGirl
04-30-2008, 07:17 PM
I think a lot of people found out about us on the DISboards from general chatter about us with our straight www.sunshinerewards.com link--not any kind of referral link.

My best suggestion (because I don't want us spamming the DIS and having them get mad at us) is just to talk about SR when you see an opportunity that fits. Maybe a post on the budget board about something that you bought through us. Or mentioning in your TR how many gift cards you used on your trip from us. If you talk about us naturally in your regular posts, people will PM you for more information. And if they ask for more information and your link, you are allowed to give it to them like that.

It's a fine line because I want you all to be able to get credit for referring people who you get interested. But I also don't want it to look like we are trying to overrun the DIS with referral links.

jnorth1007
04-30-2008, 07:18 PM
I think that some of the ones from there are coming from people PMing the people who posted about SR and asking for info and then being given the referral link.

m 'n c
04-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Also note that there are tons of Disney message boards and yahoo groups so if you aren't having luck on the DIS you should try there. If you need help drumming up interest/support I know Kimberly, Kim, and I are usually up for that if you want to work in a group :)

SunshineGirl
04-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Also note that there are tons of Disney message boards and yahoo groups so if you aren't having luck on the DIS you should try there. If you need help drumming up interest/support I know Kimberly, Kim, and I are usually up for that if you want to work in a group :)

A terrific idea. There are SOOOO many Disney related message boards that have never even heard of SR.

I think that some of the ones from there are coming from people PMing the people who posted about SR and asking for info and then being given the referral link.

Ahhh...yes. Definitely something to be careful of. The MODs get really upset over there (justifiably) if they find out that people are aggressively sending PMs to people who did not ask for them. Can you imagine posting innocently "what is SR" and having 40 people PM you with their referral links? ACK!

jnorth1007
04-30-2008, 07:32 PM
A terrific idea. There are SOOOO many Disney related message boards that have never even heard of SR.

Ahhh...yes. Definitely something to be careful of. The MODs get really upset over there (justifiably) if they find out that people are aggressively sending PMs to people who did not ask for them. Can you imagine posting innocently "what is SR" and having 40 people PM you with their referral links? ACK!

OOps I guess I didn't make that very clear. What I meant was that the member posts about how great SR is and then the person who wants to be a member PMs the member to ask about SR and the member offers a referral link then. I would freak if anyone ever PM'd me unsolicited to give me a referral link to something lol. I meant it was happening the other way. The inquisitor was PMing the person to get info and a referral.

SunshineGirl
04-30-2008, 07:35 PM
OOps I guess I didn't make that very clear. What I meant was that the member posts about how great SR is and then the person who wants to be a member PMs the member to ask about SR and the member offers a referral link then. I would freak if anyone ever PM'd me unsolicited to give me a referral link to something lol. I meant it was happening the other way. The inquisitor was PMing the person to get info and a referral.

Oh, yes. I would imagine that happens quite a bit. That seems to be a fair way to do it. :)

mollyeilis
04-30-2008, 08:51 PM
I think a lot of people found out about us on the DISboards from general chatter about us with our straight www.sunshinerewards.com link--not any kind of referral link.

My best suggestion (because I don't want us spamming the DIS and having them get mad at us) is just to talk about SR when you see an opportunity that fits. Maybe a post on the budget board about something that you bought through us. Or mentioning in your TR how many gift cards you used on your trip from us. If you talk about us naturally in your regular posts, people will PM you for more information. And if they ask for more information and your link, you are allowed to give it to them like that.

It's a fine line because I want you all to be able to get credit for referring people who you get interested. But I also don't want it to look like we are trying to overrun the DIS with referral links.

I was doing just that the other week and I got a warning. No points, but a warning.

And in researching afterwards (it was absolutely unjustified but I'm not sure they have the ability to take warnings away) they have almost no guidelines. The guidelines I can find say that you can't say "PM me for a referral". And of course you can't put your link there.

The week I got warned in the one saving money board was slammed with mentions of rewards sites.

But I mentioned it in the d'land area, when people were talking about giftcards. As I am wont to do, I gave too much info while talking about why I had so many giftcards, and I mentioned SR. I gave NO link whatsoever. I blathered on, then b/c it wasn't my thread, I told the person who had asked to PM me if they felt like talking more b/c I didn't want to take over the thread (no mention or thought of a referral), and I told her my username here.

Those last two were seen as suspicious, and I got warned as though I had said "PM me for a referral".

So you have to be careful.

I won't even talk about it in my trip report or anywhere anymore. Sorry Sunshine. That one made two absolutely unjustified warnings (no points, but still, warnings) where no one cared to hear me or do anything upon hearing me, and I just won't risk it. The mod that warned me on this issue (the other issue was totally unrelated but even less justified) thought that you couldn't even *mention* rewards sites on the Dis at all!!!!!

Be careful.

OhMari
04-30-2008, 09:45 PM
I"m a Moderator over on the DIS boards and I posted once on the "Budget Board" to give me a PM if they wanted to know more about Sunshine. A person started a thread and asked how to make extra money for Disney. It wasn't like I even started the thread. The nice moderator on the Budget Board, PM'd me and told me it was a no-no. They are pretty lenient, but just don't post a link-though I have seen it, or start a thread and say "if you want more info, give me a PM".

Tricia-You used to post a lot over on the DIS, heck I remember even remember freaking out about something and posting it on the DIS before you started your own forum - and you responded - I still see you over there occasionally.;)

SunshineGirl
04-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Tricia-You used to post a lot over on the DIS, heck I remember even remember freaking out about something and posting it on the DIS before you started your own forum - and you responded - I still see you over there occasionally.;)

I did! But I feel bad posting on the Rewards board now that Dmitry is banned and none of the other rewards owners post there. I always feel like if I post it is because I am trolling for members. So I try to post mainly there mainly when I can give general help.

I posted a bit on DVC before we went to HH. I'm sure I'll start posting on the Cruise board again as we get closer to October. They DIS is my second favorite forum for sure. :p

wilsonfamily4
04-30-2008, 09:56 PM
I remember when I joined here I found someone who talked nicely about SrR on the DIS but was not looking for referrals and I pmed them. I just HATE when people say pm me! It irks me and I am not sure why. So I picked someone who was a lot more discreet. I am not sure even who I went through. It was so long ago and I was so new to the reward world that I had no idea what I was getting into!

I enjoy the Disboards but I almost NEVER go to rewards section anymore. Don't need to anymore.

But sometimes I am irked also that the MODS won't let a thread about SR stay in the budget board and move it. Most the time the people at the budget board have no idea there is a rewards board and would not go looking there. O, well. Just a small pet peeve.

mollyeilis
04-30-2008, 10:10 PM
They are pretty lenient, but just don't post a link-though I have seen it, or start a thread and say "if you want more info, give me a PM".

Well, the rules, as they were 1.5 weeks ago when I searched, say you can't say "send me a PM for a referral". They don't say that you can't tell someone to send you a PM if they want more info. The rules need to be more clear, they need to be out there (not hidden in the three places I found rules, only ONE of the places being in the Rewards forum), and everyone has to be clear on those actual rules! Like I said, the mod who officially warned me (it wasn't just a PM warning, it's an infraction warning without points) thought you couldn't mention rewards sites AT ALL. The rule mentioned in the infraction said that I told them to PM me for a referral, and I think Tricia can check her records and notice that I'm, unfortunately for Sunshine, not about the referrals. :rotfl: (my IRL friends are all too "smart" to get hooked up in "something like that", which is why I've been to disneyland 3, going on 4, times in one year thanks to the APs my rewards got me, and they haven't been since childhood, LOL)

Like I said before, be careful!

But sometimes I am irked also that the MODS won't let a thread about SR stay in the budget board and move it. Most the time the people at the budget board have no idea there is a rewards board and would not go looking there. O, well. Just a small pet peeve.

I agree. And you never (good gosh I didn't even THINK that I shouldn't post those sites, SORRY!) see posts about sites that aren't thought of as Rewards sites moved anywhere...

I myself found SR b/c Dis'ers kept talking about them! Back then I thought the Rewards forum was for Disney Rewards Card (and many people still do) b/c of how it's worded. If it weren't for people on other areas talking about it, I wouldn't know about it. Also, if it hadn't been for reasonable, rational, seemingly trustworthy talking about how honest it was I wouldn't have come over...but seeing intelligent people talking about it so much is what convinced me to check it out! :sunshine::cooldance:

bbangel
05-01-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm sure I'll start posting on the Cruise board again as we get closer to October. They DIS is my second favorite forum for sure. :p

There is a thread for DIS people who are going to be on our boat. Make sure you join in!

sunshinecindy
05-01-2008, 08:34 AM
[QUOTE=OhMari;137099]. They are pretty lenient, but just don't post a link-though I have seen it, or start a thread and say "if you want more info, give me a PM".

QUOTE]

No they aren't. I got banned for offering someone help who was complaining about SR and I was just wanting to tell them about how to find something, and I got banned. Ridiculous. I didn't even tell the person to PM me, I was just going to tell them straight out on the boards, no biggie. I was told because I work for SR i couldn't do that, but we all know that other sites have their little spies working the Disboard, so to me, they too are like employees, and I don't see where that has anything to do with it anyway. Someone basically needed some help and I was willing to help. Not that I care cause I didn't normally post there anyway. I like the Undis board now, the one with all the complaining, suits me better anyway.

m4travels
05-01-2008, 09:04 AM
I like the Undis board now, the one with all the complaining, suits me better anyway.

The Undis board? Oh, bother, there goes more of my time searching out another fun board!!!

Magical JenK
05-01-2008, 09:16 AM
The Undis board? Oh, bother, there goes more of my time searching out another fun board!!!

No doubt!! Just when I thought I had enough sites to peruse everyday!!:p

As for the Dis & finding SR I had been a member for quite sometime before I even noticed the Rewards section. I agree w/Molly...I thought it had EVERYTHING to do w/the Disney Visa rewards...and I was kinda afraid of it. So while I looked breifly at first, I then realized what a world I was missing out on & how come I didn't know about it before?! I'm certain I didn't read about it on a TR or anything & I haven't tried out the Budget Board for fear of aggravation, but I'm happy I found SR!!

And I like that we have our own forums!!:sunshine:

llgray16
05-01-2008, 09:24 AM
In regards to the UnDis, I would be happy to give the link those of you who want it. Be warned - it is not the DIS. No pixie dust over there. It is called the UnDis for a reason. All the of the recent bannings and turmoil are as a result of certain members participation over there. No comments from me on the whole situation.

It can get really, really nasty over there but if you want to check it out, send me a pm or do a google search for UNDIS Circle of Sarcasm.

SR family - feel free to edit this as you feel necessary :sunshine:

sunshinecindy
05-01-2008, 09:28 AM
In regards to the UnDis, I would be happy to give the link those of you who want it. Be warned - it is not the DIS. No pixie dust over there. It is called the UnDis for a reason. All the of the recent bannings and turmoil are as a result of certain members participation over there. No comments from me on the whole situation.

It can get really, really nasty over there but if you want to check it out, send me a pm or do a google search for UNDIS Circle of Sarcasm.

SR family - feel free to edit this as you feel necessary :sunshine:

Oh, we think its pretty funny. You know, you can take that forum for what it is. If you want some entertainment, and I agree, it can be quite *harsh*, so be prepared, or don't read it.

jenvance
05-01-2008, 09:32 AM
I don't go on the DIS boards, for some reason it never works for me. I go to another great disney website. It's amazing how many great websites there are about Disney. I went through someone when I signed up for SR but I don't remember who or how, and I have been member for awhile, but only recently realized what a great site it truly is.

kimbih
05-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Oh, we think its pretty funny. You know, you can take that forum for what it is. If you want some entertainment, and I agree, it can be quite *harsh*, so be prepared, or don't read it.

Greeaaatttt just what I need! Another Disney board :rotfl:

The only board I still go to on the DIS is the cruise board when we are getting ready for our next DCL cruise. Since our next one isn't until 10/09, I haven't been there in months and probably won't be for quite a while.

OhMari
05-01-2008, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=OhMari;137099]. They are pretty lenient, but just don't post a link-though I have seen it, or start a thread and say "if you want more info, give me a PM".

QUOTE]

No they aren't. I got banned for offering someone help who was complaining about SR and I was just wanting to tell them about how to find something, and I got banned. Ridiculous. I didn't even tell the person to PM me, I was just going to tell them straight out on the boards, no biggie. I was told because I work for SR i couldn't do that, but we all know that other sites have their little spies working the Disboard, so to me, they too are like employees, and I don't see where that has anything to do with it anyway. Someone basically needed some help and I was willing to help. Not that I care cause I didn't normally post there anyway. I like the Undis board now, the one with all the complaining, suits me better anyway.

Bummer, I'm sorry Cindy-the place is really making my head spin lately. I guess I got off a little easy. So if I don't understand the rules as a moderator, I don't see how other members understand the guidelines.

Blessing and Miracle
05-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Dis, Undis, I don't need 'em. I got my SUNSHINE! :sunshine: